Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If they ever do "200X refreshes" - how should they handle the bios?

If they ever do "200X refreshes" - how should they handle the bios?

Toyguru has said they may do refreshes with 200X heads at one point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    If we do 200X heads they will be with a figure. After all, we need to save things for key refreshes down the line.
    As we know Mattel has created bios for all the releases so far. And for all releases the characters fit into the overall story. So the prototype He-Man became the MotUC figure "Vikor" - and not "Prototype He-Man" without any story attached.

How do you think they should handle this issue if they release "refreshes with 200X heads"?

Should they handle those refreshes like figures with two heads (like Whip-Lash) and just treat those figures as the same character (without trying to explain the differences in appearance)?

Should the go the route of Zodak and Zodac and make them completely different characters?

Should they make one the young and the other the older version of the same character (as was proposed for example for Adam or Evil-Lyn)?

Or do you have something else in mind?
    (Assuming they actually may do 200X refreshes)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    If it's the refreshes with only a headswap (i.e., a Buzz-Off with a new head), then I think it should be the same package. It's akin to packaging Man-At-Arms with his mustached head or Mer-Man with his 8 back head.

However, if it's the refreshes with a different costume (i.e., 200X Randor), then maybe they could elaborate where the look originated or what it's used for.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

For the most part they should be the same person, just in a different outfit. I'd like to see new bios for them which tell us more about their powers, abilities, and personalities.

The current bios seem to focus more on the story, rather than providing us with information about the actual characters. Skeletor's is a good example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If it's the refreshes with only a headswap (i.e., a Buzz-Off with a new head), then I think it should be the same package. It's akin to packaging Man-At-Arms with his mustached head or Mer-Man with his 8 back head.
    I was thinking that they could use MVCreations comics as an inspiration and interpret some of them as the same characters but from a parallel universe.

They shouldn't bother with bios at all.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    I'd vote for New information about the Same character. The bios are only giving a sliver of information about the characters, and I'm hungry for MORE!!

Good example would be Skeletor/BA Skeletor and the two King Grayskulls...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    For the most part they should be the same person, just in a different outfit. I'd like to see new bios for them which tell us more about their powers, abilities, and personalities.

The current bios seem to focus more on the story, rather than providing us with information about the actual characters. Skeletor's is a good example of this.
    Yeah, it also gives them an out when they forget something or need to further explain something in the bios. "Keep reading the bios!"

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Elaborate on the characters/story a bit more.
    There's Adam's quest for the sword; Randor and Keldor disputes; Evil Lyn's story; The rest of Teela's story, etc.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm all for an elaboration of the character's bio when they do 200x refreshes...explain WHY they have a new look, be it because they're younger (less muscled Prince Adam) or because they needed a new costume for a special occasion/reason a la Battle Armor He-Man.

And they better get to 200x refreshes! There are at least four characters I want to see refreshed, but that's a different thread...

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    They should all say "200x was all a bad dream. Nothing to worry about folks".

...Ohh, have I just been controversial?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Elaborate on the characters/story a bit more.
    There's Adam's quest for the sword; Randor and Keldor disputes; Evil Lyn's story; The rest of Teela's story, etc.
    I fully agree with this idea. 200X variants should not count as a separate characters.

I have a solution to the Buzz-Off head. Adreenids army builder 2 pack. Just include the head with that as a "possible" head choice for the soldiers.
    Last edited by kagamigod; December 16, 2010 at 05:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Each 200x bio should begin with:

"After falling into the Hyper-Anime-Detail Dimension, (insert name here) discovered that, though he/she looked cool, they were no longer as popular and were trapped forever in bodies with knobs & levers on them..."
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Each 200x bio should begin with:

"After falling into the Hyper-Anime-Detail Dimension, (insert name here) discovered that, though he/she looked cool, they were no longer as popular and were trapped forever in bodies with knobs & levers on them..."
    Best post of the day.

Heroic Warrior
    The bio should be changed to say the character had "Plastic" surgery. I know it's a bad joke but I couldn't resist.

I think that the 200X Buzz-Off head in an Andreenid warrior set would be killer!

As far as how to address this issue, it depends on the Bio. Captain Randor, 200X Evil Lyn, and 200X Adam could focus on their younger days and such, new armors could go into why that armor is used/needed, and straight new looks could be either younger or older versions of the character or "changed" for some reason...blame Ambrosia.

(I would rather we just got new figures altogether, not 200X refreshes, but I like the style we have been getting, and I think we are getting enough 200X input as it is. I wouldn't want too much more, but I surely don't want less either.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Should be a further extension of the original bio.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Should be a further extension of the original bio.
    Yep. Keldor, Skeletor, and Battle Armor Skeletor all did this very well. It wasn't so much "Ooo look what he's wearing", but "And here's another chapter to the tale".

If it's something like Sorceress, the 200X version could either be a previous Sorceress, or say... her, when she left to go vacation in Palesia.
    Last edited by Jon-O; December 16, 2010 at 09:02pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Dont change the bios at all, after all its the same character.

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'd vote for New information about the Same character. The bios are only giving a sliver of information about the characters, and I'm hungry for MORE!!

Good example would be Skeletor/BA Skeletor and the two King Grayskulls...
    This is what I'd like to see as well.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Dont change the bios at all, after all its the same character.
    I was just asking because for some figures the head sculpt could look quite different (e.g. Grizzlor) and one could wonder why that's the case if it's the same character.

Depends on the character. For Evil-Lyn, maybe offer up an explanation for the yellow skin. For Grizzlor, that 200x face and body are quite different. Perhaps the Horde captured another member of Grizzlors race, erased its memories and implanted the original Grizzlors. Different body, same mind.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

"Grizzlor in the future"

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar

However, if it's the refreshes with a different costume (i.e., 200X Randor), then maybe they could elaborate where the look originated or what it's used for.
    I agree with this. The less terrible bios, the better imo!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I as well vote for the "add new info" to their existing bio. They are still the same character just with a different look. Sort of taking a picture of someone with long hair.. they get a hair cut and you take another picture of them with short hair. Still the same person.. just different look.

Another solution to not having a bio in this case, would be perhaps to include some facts about how the character was developed instead.

200X Evil-Lyn Bio:

EVIL-LYNR EVIL WARRIOR GODDESSTM

On Eternia, there is an unusual practice where people
    have more than one set of clothes. People bathe, put on
    clean cloths, and wash their dirty clothes. After battling
    the Masters, Evil-Lyn abandons her sweaty 2 tone blue
    outfit for an outfit with more purple. Also, Skeletor used
    black magic to cure her from jaundice.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal