Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread--November 2010

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Cheap labor doesn't mean smart labor.
    Cheap laborers DO have intelligence...it's whether or not they care about the job in the first place is the factor. To us, putting together MOTU figures is a pretty important task. To them, it's a job that they are probably overworked, underpaid and unacknowledged.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Cheap laborers DO have intelligence...it's whether or not they care about the job in the first place is the factor. To us, putting together MOTU figures is a pretty important task. To them, it's a job that they are probably overworked, underpaid and unacknowledged.
    Hard to care about your job when you make $1.00 a day. It's pretty crappy over there from all the documentaries I have seen. Walmart's factories are amongst the worst. Most of the people live onsite working 16 hour days and then sleep in a crammed room full of bunkbeds. Over here this would be considered slavery.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Hard to care about your job when you make $1.00 a day.
    Exactly.

This is just another symptom of the problem of outsourcing.

Sure, it allows corporations to make millions more, but in the long run it's bad for their reputations, bad for our economy, etc.

Toyguru/Mattel are always crying poor-house... as are all the other toy companies... the thing is, they could make these toys here, pay American workers, give them health insurance, and STILL make a huge profit. They would deny that forever, but it's true.

Our country needs to seriously crack down on outsourcing... it's ridiculous. I don't care if it cuts profits for corporations... because those "profits" do not go missing: they go into the American economy as wages and benefits for the poor and middle class.

UGH... stupid Roboto! See what he's done!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    A little bit of perspective kind of puts the overall importance to the world of Roboto having backwards arms into perspective, doesn't it?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    they could make these toys here, pay American workers, give them health insurance, and STILL make a huge profit. They would deny that forever, but it's true.
    One problem with that... the stock market runs the corporations. It expects bigger profits each year, which kind of goes against reality. But to achieve this, outsourcing is their answer.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    A little bit of perspective kind of puts the overall importance to the world of Roboto having backwards arms into perspective, doesn't it?
    Sadly, this type of perspective is lacking in most toy collectors, which has always driven me insane.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote from Matty's answers...
    Yes, we missed the Roboto shoulders. But in all honestly, so did the fan reviews as well.
    Actually, I watched Pixel Dan's Review long after it was posted & well after it had been discovered that Roboto's shoulders where wrong, but without even reading a single post about his switched shoulders, I noticed it just by watching Dan's review. I didn't post anything about it after so many others had 'cause I didn't want to sound like a "Johnny come lately." I guess I'm sounding like it now but y'know what? I've been an inspector at a machine shop, I've had many, many years in wood & metal work. I'm going to school for accounting, not because I'm good with numbers, but because I've got a keen eye for detail & catching things that appear "off." What caught my eye in Dan's review was how the shoulders looked in an up-close shot. It brought me straight back to He-Man's backward shoulders. If I can catch it watching the figure on a video tape, I don't see why Mattel couldn't.

Normally I don't post stuff like this here but I did NOT like this quote from Mattel.
    I want my other half.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    This is just another symptom of the problem of outsourcing.

Sure, it allows corporations to make millions more, but in the long run it's bad for their reputations, bad for our economy, etc.

Toyguru/Mattel are always crying poor-house... as are all the other toy companies... the thing is, they could make these toys here, pay American workers, give them health insurance, and STILL make a huge profit. They would deny that forever, but it's true.

Our country needs to seriously crack down on outsourcing... it's ridiculous. I don't care if it cuts profits for corporations... because those "profits" do not go missing: they go into the American economy as wages and benefits for the poor and middle class.

UGH... stupid Roboto! See what he's done!!

We have the same problems here, instead of giving jobs to qualified workers, men and women are paid to do the jobs, who do it for half the price, but the qualitiy of the work or product is often below standard.

On the other hand 1$ in China is maybe more worth than 1$ in USA... So for poor people it is often the only way to pay their bills and keep their lives going...

Yes, we missed the Roboto shoulders. But in all honestly, so did the fan reviews as well.
    Guess I overlooked this little tidbit.

Yeah, I missed it. Thing is, I'm not the company who designed it, got back samples, and I'm not one of the folks who is receiving a Mattel paycheck because it's my JOB to check for things like this.

Kind of like a doctor blaming the patient for a misdiagnosis because the patient didn't know what disease they had, either.

Besides, didn't TG specifically say that some of the production samples came back with reversed shoulders and they were sent back with instructions to fix it?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Revealing the April figure in Toy Fair is a great way to share the information to fans everywhere, and not just those who are online, not every one uses forums and social networking sites. Plus, it gives us all a date to look forward to!
    Not that this is actually consequential, but I just have to ask. Are we still talking about the same toyline that is only available online? The one you have to be online for at the exact right time to buy? And the best way to reach people who are interested in this particular toyline everywhere is not something that's online, but a physical magazine most of these people won't even know about, unless they learn about it on the said forums or social networking sites?

Yes. That makes so much sense.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

There are a couple of new answers up. Not a lot, but that could change at any time this weekend.

Besides, didn't TG specifically say that some of the production samples came back with reversed shoulders and they were sent back with instructions to fix it?
    I thought they didn't get any samples at all.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

First page is updated with a load of new answers!

Just the front end of the Battle Ram...
    Tha tis typical example to give...

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Just the front end of the Battle Ram...
    Tha tis typical example to give...
    Hey, it's not as if a load of people don't want a Sky Sled...

Oh, I want a sky sled!
    It is just that TG said that the Battle Ram made by 4HM isn't the first vehicle and that is was made was a "suprise" for him too.
    And now the first example that comes to mind is a sky sled.

I personally want a complete Battle Ram and maybe multiple color loose sleds later on.
    Now you buy a blue sled and later a Battle Ram including another Skysled?

Just give us the Battle Ram complete first

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Oh, I want a sky sled!
    It is just that TG said that the Battle Ram made by 4HM isn't the first vehicle and that is was made was a "suprise" for him too.
    And now the first example that comes to mind is a sky sled.
    I don't think he ever said the vehicle WOULDN'T be a Battle Ram (or Sky Sled). Just that it wasn't decided yet what the vehicle would be [as of SDCC], and that the 4H had done the Battle Ram on spec (partially as a pitch for the contract to sculpt vehicles, which they didn't have during 200X) rather than by Mattel's command.

It would be quite logical for them to then go "right, we want a vehicle, our main sculpting contractors for the line have one ready, let's go with that". Which would be more-or-less the 4H's entire aim in sculpting the thing, yes? They WANTED to put pressure on Mattel, to the point that it would seem inevitable that the Battle Ram/Sky Sled would be the first vehicle, since that would guarantee that they get paid for it. And you're falling right into their trap

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Yeah, the Roboto answer is not very inspiring at all. Also, I'm glad to hear about the POP figure!

EDIT-- I have a theory (take it how you want, don't get offended) on this Roboto issue. When they remade and fixed He-Man, the factory actually made new figures with the He-Man mold. Maybe the problem with Roboto is that they are sitting on a bunch of unsold stock that is finished and set aside but not ready to be packaged into the new "The Original" packaging (that was rumored/speculated at one time to be the case with Stratos and Zodac). I mean, maybe I'm just talking out of my bum, but still...could it be?
    Of all these speculations about taking up a production slot to fixed reversed shoulders this sounds the most legitimate. Unfortunately also the most shady. We never do know the closely guarded secret of production numbers. All the other answers about incorrect labeled shoulders and needing to re-instruct workers or remold the shoulders with new L and R's just sounds ridiculous. But in any event, if it is any of these three or even something else, it seems poor logistically to me.

I have every figure in this line but for SDCC Grayskull. I have had both previous subscriptions. I have a 2011 subscription. I have been promised improvements and told that work is being done to constantly improve quality in the actual toys, customer service and website experience. I believe this to be true. But even if it is indeed true, all of these things have only gotten worse. The bottom line is, if things don't level out or they actually stay on the current path of slowly becoming worse, I will not be able to justify on any sane level getting a 2012 subscription or beyond if there are no real improvements in quality but indeed only lip service to how they are trying but not able to achieve it. $600 plus a year for frustration and small pieces of imperfect plastic that were "so close" to being awesome and nostalgic but ending up being off just enough to start a seething rage is close to lunacy or madness. Good Luck Scott. I hope you get more help with improving this situation because as it stands now the ultimate toy line for myself and many others is slowly turning into the ultimate frustration. It takes a real fanatic to keep pouring cash into a well loved wound like MOTUC. Eventually some of our sanity will kick in and we will just lop off the arm. I for one hope the wound will heal and I will be able to supply my IV of cash directly to Mattel. Please let the stars align and let it be so.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I don't think he ever said the vehicle WOULDN'T be a Battle Ram (or Sky Sled). Just that it wasn't decided yet what the vehicle would be [as of SDCC], and that the 4H had done the Battle Ram on spec (partially as a pitch for the contract to sculpt vehicles, which they didn't have during 200X) rather than by Mattel's command.

It would be quite logical for them to then go "right, we want a vehicle, our main sculpting contractors for the line have one ready, let's go with that". Which would be more-or-less the 4H's entire aim in sculpting the thing, yes? They WANTED to put pressure on Mattel, to the point that it would seem inevitable that the Battle Ram/Sky Sled would be the first vehicle, since that would guarantee that they get paid for it. And you're falling right into their trap
    Yes, but, as stated, the 4H pitched the Battle Ram on their own without consulting Mattel. Based on Toyguru's statement, it sounds like the Battle Ram is larger ("medium") than Mattel wants to make right now ("small").
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Yes, but, as stated, the 4H pitched the Battle Ram on their own without consulting Mattel.
    What you say is what I said . I was responding to a guy who was taking a "TG faked surprise at the Battle Ram, since he'd asked for it to be made" line.

My point I was trying to make was actually that what Super He-man says. ( small vs medium vehicle without consulting Mattel/ Toy Guru.)
    So we actually all agree, allthough I probably wasn't very clear

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    I thought they didn't get any samples at all.
    I got confused on that, too. They didn't get any reveiwers samples (like they send out to Pixel Dan) this time, but they had received prodcution samples, and, according to either the great papier mache head or TG himself (can't recall off hand, but I think it was TG), some of those samples did have the reversed shoulders, and the factory was told to correct it.

I think a lot of folks got that wrong because they referred to those samples by their marketing acronym (PR samples) assuming everyone would realize what it meant. It seemed obvious when it finally dawned on me (PR= Public Relations), but I didn't get it right off the bat.

and, according to either the great papier mache head or tg himself (can't recall off hand, but i think it was tg)
    I am the great and powerful matty. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Quote:
    Figure titles

Just two things about figure titles, some German fans are curious about:

1. Some days ago, the rights for the Snake King's title were reserved: "Disguised Leader of the Snake Man". German fans are wondering why the word "dreadful" from the 80s title is missing. Will it be missing on the final packaging of the figure, too?

2. Why did Mattel pick the 80s advert slogan "Ferocious Figure with Fur" as a new title for 'Grizzlor'? It used to be "Hairy Henchman of the Evil Horde" during the 80s.

Thanks.

If a figure had a different title on the front. vs. the Cross Sell we used the front of package name. (for the most part, exceptions can be made).
    Huh??
    The front of the cards ALWAYS had the cross-sell phrases as far as I know. "Ferocious figure with fur" was an additional blurb tacked onto the front in addition to the "Hairy Henchman of the Evil Horde" (which appeared under the name).... so where is is this logic coming from?

I dont think some people are doing their research properly...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar