Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread--November 2010

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I really hope they do the Classic figure in prototype/cardback colours first, and the vintage toy version in a DC two pack later on.
    If anything, it would be the other way around. Vintage toy versions come first.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    No they don't, Super He-man. Originally this line was supposed to give us the figures we never had, ones that looked exactly like the cardback art.

I, and others with me, truly believe that is the way to go, and provides added value to the line.

Man-E-Faces, Ram Man and Stinkor are all prime examples of figures that should be based on their card-art instead of the original figs'.

I think I need to make a thread in support of cardback accurate figs' actually! And we definitely need a variant of Faker, repainted in the original cardback-colours.

To me, MEF always looked like a cyborg, with his skin & implants blended.

His orange skin didn't put me off this idea, as other characters had non-caucasian colour. Plus, most of the other early characters wore just loin-cloths and breast-plates.

This always made me wonder - how was it that MEF came to be a cyborg? He must have already had an interesting history before Skeletor cursed him. Unfortunately, this has never been explored, to my knowledge.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    If anything, it would be the other way around. Vintage toy versions come first.
    As I live in the UK, The DC sets are harder to find & more expensive. I'd rather have my preffered version available to buy on Matty.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    No they don't, Super He-man. Originally this line was supposed to give us the figures we never had, ones that looked exactly like the cardback art.
    They never said that. The line is meant to update the vintage figures with modern articulation and some additional 200x and possibly other updates. They might do figures based on cardback art as variants, but that was never "originally what this line was supposed to give".

Toyguru has said multiple times that, while it isn't a hardfast rule, that they'd likely do the vintage toy versions of characters first. Considering the whole line; whether MOTU, POP, 200x or whatever; is based on "what if it was a vintage MOTU toy in the 80s", it only makes sense that a toy that really did have a vintage toy would be based on that look.

As I live in the UK, The DC sets are harder to find & more expensive. I'd rather have my preffered version available to buy on Matty.
    I understand that, but I think far more people would be upset if they had to by a figure with a vintage toy look with, say, Two Face, instead of online like every other vintage looking toy.
    Last edited by Super He-Man; November 28, 2010 at 04:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Toyguru has said multiple times that, while it isn't a hardfast rule, that they'd likely do the vintage toy versions of characters first. Considering the whole line; whether MOTU, POP, 200x or whatever; is based on "what if it was a vintage MOTU toy in the 80s", it only makes sense that a toy that really did have a vintage toy would be based on that look.
    Actually he hasn't said that unless you can share the EXACT quote and give me a link to it. That may be what you want, but it's not what he said. He did say the 4H and Mattel are doing a blend of the original figures + the original cardbacks + some 200X elements (now called "modern" elements).
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Actually he hasn't said that unless you can share the EXACT quote and give me a link to it. That may be what you want, but it's not what he said. He did say the 4H and Mattel are doing a blend of the original figures + the original cardbacks + some 200X elements (now called "modern" elements).
    They're vintage recreations with added elements from 200x and other modern elements. I thought I said that, but I must have left it out when fixing my post. The basis so far as been vintage. Webstor, for example, has the vintage look with 200x eyes and legs. I don't think anyone would argue he has a 200x look with a vintage backpack.

Regardless, I think many would be disappointed if they had to look for and spend extra on a 2-pack to get a vintage looking Man-E-Faces.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Gotta agree with this as it's my thoughts exactly!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Just did a quick search (not going to spend an hour on it). The answer refers to colors on figures and should apply to Man-E.

"If a character had a toy in the vintage line, we need to go in that direction for the Classics update. Because Swiftwind had a toy in the vintage line, the upcoming toy will be based on the toy colors based on what fan's choose."

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...636#2121022636

So, where's your quote and link?
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Man-At-Arms having his 8 back dark green fur as opposed to his original toy reddish brown fur says one thing.

Teela being a redhead instead of her original blonde says that they might go with the most iconic coloration first. However, Teela's hair couldn't be seen from the 8-back, so that could have been a way out for them to do that.

If they produce MEF and Ram Man in their 12 back colors, you know that their TRU repaints of their toy colors are definitely going to sell like crazy. That, or it could be the other way around where they sell the original toy colors on Mattycollector, but sell the 12 back colors at TRU.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Just did a quick search (not going to spend an hour on it). The answer refers to colors on figures and should apply to Man-E.

"If a character had a toy in the vintage line, we need to go in that direction for the Classics update. Because Swiftwind had a toy in the vintage line, the upcoming toy will be based on the toy colors based on what fan's choose."

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...636#2121022636

So, where's your quote and link?
    I wouldn't count Swift Wind as an answer since Mattel seems to have different rules with PoP.
    My She-Ra looks like the Filmation version instead of the vintage Toy She-Ra.
    Bow Does not look like the Vintage Toy either...
    Also, on Swift Wind Mattel was going to go with the Royal Swift Wind colors (Mostly because of the unofficial PoP rule) and because they believe that a Pink Pegasus won't fly off the shelves in less than an hour.

The Vintage first is only applied to multiple heads, but Adam seems to be the exception.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Beast-Man, Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms all look like they've stepped off the cardback, and the perch and armour just released for Zoar, so there is precedent for cardback versions of the characters coming out
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I wouldn't count Swift Wind as an answer since Mattel seems to have different rules with PoP.
    My She-Ra looks like the Filmation version instead of the vintage Toy She-Ra.
    Bow Does not look like the Vintage Toy either...
    Also, on Swift Wind Mattel was going to go with the Royal Swift Wind colors (Mostly because of the unofficial PoP rule) and because they believe that a Pink Pegasus won't fly off the shelves in less than an hour.

The Vintage first is only applied to multiple heads, but Adam seems to be the exception.
    The quote is in reference to their colors. The POP colors in MOTUC are the same as their vintage versions, if the designs are not. I know that there are different design rules with POP.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Beast-Man, Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms all look like they've stepped off the cardback, and the perch and armour just released for Zoar, so there is precedent for cardback versions of the characters coming out
    For Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms, it depends on which head you're using. For Beastman, you could argue that the vintage version was the closest they could manage to get to the cardback version back then, and the 4H improved upon it. Either way, I'm not arguing that there are other influences beyond the 80s toys themselves.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

The quote is in reference to their colors. The POP colors in MOTUC are the same as their vintage versions, if the designs are not. I know that there are different design rules with POP.

For Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms, it depends on which head you're using. For Beastman, you could argue that the vintage version was the closest they could manage to get to the cardback version back then, and the 4H improved upon it. Either way, I'm not arguing that there are other influences beyond the 80s toys themselves.
    I think we are just going to have to disagree and see what they release.

When I was a kid:
    My He-Man didn't have red around the eyes, but the cardback art did.
    My Mer-Man didn't have the cool head, but the cardback art did.
    My Man-At-Arms didn't have the brown fur trim, but the cardback art did.

I think the trend tends to lean towards what I said earlier. I guess we'll all find out when the figure is shown.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Whoever is wrong has to leave the forum.

Heroic Warrior

When I was a kid:

I think the trend tends to lean towards what I said earlier. I guess we'll all find out when the figure is shown.
    You're referring to elements that are cardback influenced. I'm not saying there aren't cardback influences. I'm just saying, when looking at the overall figures, they generally look like a deluxe version of the 80s toys with better detail and articulation. A cardback painted Man-E wouldn't look like that.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    That seems fair...
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Awesome. Lol

Heroic Warrior

When I was a kid:

Mer-man doesn't count. He has the same head he did as a toy. Vicious Piranna head. That's the one he's packaged with for MOC people.

the 'cool'/goofy looking version was a pack-in extra. Same with She-ra and Man-at-arms... when going with 'modern' or 'alternate' head choices... They are going to package them with the vintage toy showing first.

As for the rest... those 'may' have been 200x influences

Whenever asked, Toyguru always seems to lean toward vintage figure for his answers... Also I am 90% certain that it will be Orange/ monthly figure... Pale/DC 2pk, Or bonus varient... depends on how long they do 2 packs for...

He was Orange on the toy, he was orange in filmation. Orange in MYP... No matter how it goes, his 'default' CLASSIC version is Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He was Orange on the toy, he was orange in filmation. Orange in MYP... No matter how it goes, his 'default' CLASSIC version is Orange.
    The Classics Man-At-Arms figure doesn't follow that logic though... He had a Light Green costume with Brown boots & loincloth on Filmation, MYP, and the vintage toy. But the Classics figure has a Dark Green costume, Black loincloth & boots, based directly on his cardback art.

They could very easily end up doing the same thing with Man-E-Faces.

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Maybe, just maybe, if we (the He-Fans and She-Ravers of the Earth) can unite and make our voices heard loud enough, maybe Matty will hear the demand (like they did for Moss-Man) and create a standard and chase variants to sell on the same day, just to make the fans happy!

With their increased production numbers, hopefully everyone would come away with the figure they want (though they'd have to bump their numbers BIG-time to accommodate the completists. The sad, sad completists, lol).

I'd just really love to see Manny released period. Love that guy!
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by KalesDad View Post
    chase variants to sell on the same day, just to make the fans happy!
    We the He-fans and She-ravers of the Earth have ALREADY made our voices heard on that matter. And we said that chase variants will never make anyone happy aside from ebay's bottom line and the resellers who congregate there.

Now an equally packed variant with the option to put either version into your cart (like mossman was) would be ok! But Matty likely will never do that. They do not want one figure to be competition for itself. They want you to buy BOTH. One now and one down the road. That's smart business.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

So apparently this line is going to be full of variants...at least this is how I feel after seeing the new 2-pack Merman/Aquaman and Stratos/Hawkman.
    I'm not 100% sure but I thought TG mentioned once that this line won't have variants so to keep the fans happy and not repeat the 200x mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always thought this was the trend for MOTUC.

But these two packs are variants, right? and they're damn expensive. I haven't got any of them yet, not even He-man/Superman nor Skeletor/Lex Luthor. I see'em hanging on my TRU but everytime I look at the price and change my mind.

Variants are only for retail, so they don't conflict with the online figures. And as far as the price, I'd say it's pretty fair.

A MOTUC figure from matty costs about $30.00 with tax and shipping, depending on where you live. The TRU two packs are $29.99 and you get two figures.

I like the variant repaints and I think many fans who prefer one or the other also appreciate the choice. I'd be happy with offering two different colour schemes on Matty if handled the same way as Moss Man's flocked/unflocked ears. Am also happy with the TRU 2 packs (despite not receiving them in Australian stores).

However, I'd be a mite upset if the different colours were randomly packed and when my figures eventually ship to me in Australia, I'd find I had purchased 4 figures and all 4 were the same colour instead of 1 loose 1 MOC of both.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBad View Post
    So apparently this line is going to be full of variants...at least this is how I feel after seeing the new 2-pack Merman/Aquaman and Stratos/Hawkman.
    I'm not 100% sure but I thought TG mentioned once that this line won't have variants so to keep the fans happy and not repeat the 200x mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always thought this was the trend for MOTUC.
    The idea is to make variants the fans actually want (Ice Armor He-Man or Snake Armor), or where in canon (Pre-Eternia He-Man) as opposed to Mattel making variants out of the blue and they flop (most 200X variants not seen on the show). This time Mattel is only making what the fans asked for.

But these two packs are variants, right? and they're damn expensive. I haven't got any of them yet, not even He-man/Superman nor Skeletor/Lex Luthor. I see'em hanging on my TRU but everytime I look at the price and change my mind.
    Yes. It's a way to release the alternate colored variants of characters that fans want (like Blonde Teela, Mini-comic Mer-Man) without using slots on Mattycollector.com, as well as showing that the brand exists at TRU.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)