Thread: Mechthild's re-visions of MOTU

Hybrid View

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar

Mechthild's re-visions of MOTU

I'm a new face around here (hello all!), but I've been doing MOTU-inspired art for a long time, so I want to start with some of my older works before I move on into recent stuff. This should give you a better idea of where I'm coming from and why my versions of the characters are sometimes so odd.

I won't go all the way back to my childhood but start with spring/early summer 2002 when I learned there would be a revival of MOTU. I think I may have seen pictures of some of the toy designs, but the new series hadn't premiered yet. I was then inspired to write and sketch my own updated version of Eternia, it's history, races and characters.

These sketches date back to June 2002, although some of the photoshop coloring work was done later, and some weren't scanned before today. I couldn't find all the sketches I wish I could have shared (such as the pencil sketch of Grizzlor or Orko with long braided hair), but these should give you an idea of what I did back then.

Skeletor was the first to receive his new look. In these sketches he's sort of still between being Skeletor and Keldor (whom I envisioned solely based on the minicomic, and at one point made Randor's uncle rather than brother!) Note the heavy overuse of the chaos symbol as a design element!

Beast Man was a bit of a departure from the original. I wanted to make him feral and predatory, a sort of mix between man, lion and ape. His weapons, armor and adornments were supposed to reflect the primitive and violent nature of his race.

Mer-Man was always my favorite Evil Warrior. I'm not sure why I thought giving him a tail was a good idea, but it was part of making him more fish-like together with the scaly skin and webbed fin-like arms and legs. I designed his armor and jewlery as a mix of marine shells and things robbed from sunken ships and drowned corpses. It ties in with the ideas I had of his race.

Clawful received by far the most radical revision. I think I just took the head and the claws as a starting point and filled the rest with humanoid lobster parts! He was supposed to be an underling of Mer-Man. The other creature I added here was an original creation, a cephalopoid monster servant of Mer-Man that I never gave a proper toyetic name.

I fear this post will bloating up to an excessive lenght if I go on, so I think I'll add the rest later today or tomorrow. Stay tuned.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

If this stuff is 8 years old.. then you sir, are my new favorite artist. These are all epic, but clawful really appears to be in his own league. just cant wait to see more.
    My Deviant Art Gallery

Open for Commissions.

If you take the best writer in the world, and the best artist in the world, the art they would make together, will be a comicbook.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Lookin' good here, Meththild!

Altho I find some of the changes a bit too extreme, I do think they are superbly executed, so I do see the merits!

It's got very much a bit of an alternate take air to it, like a parallel universe. Eternia-5 or some such.

Doha, Qatar, Arabian Gulf ... clearly no where near the US of A ... in case you were curious... not suggesting at all that your geography skills are bad... I'm just saying... anywho...
    Good work. Loving it
    Keep posting more please
    "Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenneger

Here's the rest of the 2002 batch.

Grizzlor and Hordak. As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't find the pencil sketch of Grizzlor, but I have this partial digital painting sketch of a generic member of his race. I was being a really literal with his name and made him grizzly-like in the same vein as Beast Man was lion-like. This version of Hordak looks meaner and leaner than I remembered, but I think I made him a bit too Fu Manchu. (I also made a sketch of an ancient hero that was of the same race as Hordak, but I was so unhappy with that design I don't want to show him to anyone.)

Oh, how I loved the Snake Men when I was little. I didn't sketch any particular character but experimented with different variations of humanoids with snake-like body parts. Even so, you can still see that the tail-handed one was inspired by Sssqueeze, while the long-necked one is very close to Rattlor if you ignore the constrictor-style head. I'm really not sure why I didn't do a redesign of Tung Lashor even though he was my favorite Snake Man back in my childhood.

This particular character started out as Kobra Khan, but evolved into something of his own. I eventually decided to make him Khan's father and the high priest of the Snake Men. The funny thing is that at this point the Snake Men didn't have a designated god in any canon yet, I just figured they'd have a religion!

My Kobra Khan is an agnostic by the way.

I wanted to save Battle Cat/Cringer last, because of my old designs it's the one that I like the most. He's not really green, more of a dark yellow or olive. I tried to give him a distinctive color pattern partially inspired by ones seen in marsupials to give him a natural, yet alien look. I might do him a bit differently today, but I still think he could work well in a movie.

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Since I posted nothing but old stuff, I want to tease you with something new. I have a whole bunch of things on various stages of unfinished from pencil sketches to nearly finished digital paintwork. To keep things interesting, I'll show you an early color test I did to see if the color scheme I planned for my new version of Clawful works. This should give you an idea of how my approach has changed since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    It's got very much a bit of an alternate take air to it, like a parallel universe. Eternia-5 or some such.
    That's how I see it myself. It's not supposed to fit within any previous continuity but exist parallel to it. An alternate Eternia that I might have created had I been given the powers of a dictator/goddess!