Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechthild's re-visions of MOTU

Brilliant designs and mythology. Love the alternate universe angle.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Thanks everyone! I'll be posting new stuff sooner or later, but for a while it's mostly just going to be smaller stuff like faces, armor concepts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Do you listen to the podcast Mechthild?
    I've just listened to the two latest episodes (38 and 37) so far.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post

I've just listened to the two latest episodes (38 and 37) so far.
    Podcast from the future?? We only did no. 25 last week.
    I am referring to the He-man.org podcast dude!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Ahhh, Eamon shameless promotion...how are the pigeons?
    Currently taking commissions, info is available on my website listed below.

Portfolio website: http://www.joshginter.org

Trader Review: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=bulun

Podcast from the future?? We only did no. 25 last week.
    I am referring to the He-man.org podcast dude!
    <- My face while reading that.

I had to do some googling until I figured out what you were talking about. I had no idea what the Roast Gooble Dinner was until now, so I sort of ignored all the threads and news about it. I just found Masterscast a while ago, and assumed that was what people meant when they referred to a podcast! Now I feel embarassed.

By the way, are people still unclear about my gender?

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

I mentioned you this week in the Podcast!
    I pic fan art every week and let folks know where to see it.

I say 'dude' to girls too!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    That... that's not possible!

Women don't like He-man! He's just some half-naked guy who's all blond... and muscly... and chivalrous, and...

BAH!!! >_<

Great sketches! Keep the bios coming, that's a far better bio for Buzz-Off than the Mattel one, better real name too!

I mentioned you this week in the Podcast!
    Oh wow! Obviously at this point I just had to download and listen to it immediately. A sure way to get new listeners for your podcast: mention them by name.

I never really thought about how difficult the name Mechthild must be if you don't know any Old German. (Not that I know a lot of Old German myself, I just know it because it's the archaic form for my name.) Basically, I'd just ignore the "c" in the "ch", but that may actually be more of a modern German pronunciation. I dunno. I'm Finnish.

"-hild" was a fairly common part of ancient Scandinavian female names as well. For instance "Svanhild". I didn't know if that was what you were going for, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    "-hild" was a fairly common part of ancient Scandinavian female names as well.
    In Old German hild actually meant "struggle/battle" and meht meant "might/power". The version of the name I have is Mette, which in Finnish stands for "the one who forecasts the weather"*.

[*You pretty much need to live in Finland to get the joke. Sorry.]

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Amazing! I really like. Love to see more.

I realized yesterday while going through my MOTU stuff that I have to post these He-Man concepts right now, or I'll be too embarassed by the poor draftmanship and digital paints I did to show them to anybody, and then I'll have to redo them if I want to share those ideas. This was among the first MOTU-related sketches I made about a month ago, after years of not doing really any art at all. I've been using these redesign fanarts as a kind of a springboard for relearning all the forgotten skills I used to have, so the first ones look a bit shoddy to me already.

Anyway, in case you didn't notice, it's He-Man! I got started thinking of marrying together the old Oo-Larr He-man of the first minicomic and King Grayskull from MYP into a new look. My idea was that the harness should clearly be ancient high tech while everything else on him would be barbarian style. There's even a bit of Vikor in him. I'm not sure where the headband came from, Conan possibly? (In case you are wondering what happened to his feet, that's where I digitally erased a sketch of Keldor's suit of armor).

These concepts I made later in Photoshop for the corodite harness. I tried to work the red into it after the fact, but I couldn't get it to come out the way I had it in my head. A remake is definitely needed. These also have the modified He-cross on the harness. I tried to change it into its own unique thing rather than having just the iron cross or the letter 'H' in there.

And here's really where the earlier harness concept sketches were leading towards. I wanted to sort of unify the harness and the battle armor, so that they are just permutations of the same thing. My idea was that the Power Sword and the power harness work in unison, so that together their powers can be used to transform the harness into a more protective (but also more cumbersome) battle armor. The red lights are something I tried to work into the "normal mode" of the harness too, but couldn't quite get to work right.

I like all the designs a lot, but the battle armor/vest hybrid is awesome. Your style is amazing as usual.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Some excellent work all around. I look forward to seeing more.

Cool Buzz off.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Those are some very beautiful re-visions you have there.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Something more completely different

Okay, this one is going to take some explaining, or else nobody is going to have an idea of how this is related to MOTU, so I did my best at writing a concise bio. Which I couldn't do, because I suck at summarizing. I just managed to squeeze it down to three paragraphs by removing most of the explanatory bits. And most of it still probably makes no sense. Sorry.

Sheregor - Evil Demon of Destruction

Summoned to Eternia from the entropy storms of Infinita, Sheregor was bound within the Sword of Destruction by the warlock Ho-Ra'kul. After the warlock was defeated by He-Me'ros in the First Great War, the Council of Elders studied the sword and found that destroying it would free Sheregor, now endowed with the potential to channel all the destructive power in the universe. Frightened by such a prospect, The Council hid the Sword of Destruction in the most remote and inhospitable part of the greatest mountain chain on Eternia, where it could not be found by any mortal being.

Sheregor remained a prisoner in isolation for the course of the Great Wars and the time of strife that followed. Centuries upon centuries passed as he planned his escape - for no avail. It wasn't until the dark wizard Vesus Marzo discovered the ancient amulet of Ho-Ra'kul that Sheregor sensed another sentient mind again. The demon could not reach out to the wizard, but when Marzo used the amulet's magic to banish Captain Keldor, he was able to affect the spell and use it to transport the young man right next to the Sword of Destruction.

With such close proximity, Sheregor was able to reach out from the sword to speak directly to Keldor's mind. The demon convinced him that the Sword of Destruction was the legendary Sword of Power that was hidden away by the Ancients, believed to return in Eternia's darkest hour. Ever since Keldor first used the power of the sword, Sheregor began to slowly take over his mind and body. Eventually the demon ousted Keldor entirely, taking his body for his own and warping it into a monstrous reflection of its new possessor. As a final mockery of his victim, he adopted a name mixing Keldor's with his own, calling himself Skeletor, Lord of Destruction.

The first thing that popped through my head was DEMO-MAN.

I'm digging it man, I absolutely digging all your arts here. Good job mechtild loving it.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Thanks. I was already starting to worry I was getting the silent treatment for breaking some unwritten Fan-art forum rule with Sheregor...

Yeah, he is pretty reminiscent of Demo-Man in a certain sense. I came up with him because I wanted Skeletor to be both tied to Keldor and at the same time be an irredeemable fiend from Infinita. I don't know why Mattel decided to associate Demo-Man with Skeletor, though I suspect it was just an excuse to produce a Demo-Man figure some day.

And for the record, I refuse to call Sheregor Demo-Man.

Anyhow. I realized that if I want to have even a chance at taking part in the new redesign challenge, I'll have to put everything else on hold for a while. Before that I'll share a little something from my MOTU folder with you:

This is just a crude colored concept sketch of Mer-Man, I'm working on something more detailed already. Just a teaser.

A WIP facial study of Grizzlor. I've got a whole bunch of faces in the works, but I'd prefer to post them all at once. I just thought this would be appropriate with this still being Grizzlor month and all.

Really like the Buzz-Off & the Mer-Man head-shot/armor!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

This is an awesome interpitation.

Absolutly love your merman.

Great stuff really
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!

Only one emoticon can express my suprise and amazement of these cool new redesigns of the MOTUverse!

Love the Mer-Man look. Looks so realistic and classic at the same time!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    Okay, this one is going to take some explaining, or else nobody is going to have an idea of how this is related to MOTU, so I did my best at writing a concise bio. Which I couldn't do, because I suck at summarizing. I just managed to squeeze it down to three paragraphs by removing most of the explanatory bits. And most of it still probably makes no sense. Sorry.

Sheregor - Evil Demon of Destruction

Summoned to Eternia from the entropy storms of Infinita, Sheregor was bound within the Sword of Destruction by the warlock Ho-Ra'kul. After the warlock was defeated by He-Me'ros in the First Great War, the Council of Elders studied the sword and found that destroying it would free Sheregor, now endowed with the potential to channel all the destructive power in the universe. Frightened by such a prospect, The Council hid the Sword of Destruction in the most remote and inhospitable part of the greatest mountain chain on Eternia, where it could not be found by any mortal being.

Sheregor remained a prisoner in isolation for the course of the Great Wars and the time of strife that followed. Centuries upon centuries passed as he planned his escape - for no avail. It wasn't until the dark wizard Vesus Marzo discovered the ancient amulet of Ho-Ra'kul that Sheregor sensed another sentient mind again. The demon could not reach out to the wizard, but when Marzo used the amulet's magic to banish Captain Keldor, he was able to affect the spell and use it to transport the young man right next to the Sword of Destruction.

With such close proximity, Sheregor was able to reach out from the sword to speak directly to Keldor's mind. The demon convinced him that the Sword of Destruction was the legendary Sword of Power that was hidden away by the Ancients, believed to return in Eternia's darkest hour. Ever since Keldor first used the power of the sword, Sheregor began to slowly take over his mind and body. Eventually the demon ousted Keldor entirely, taking his body for his own and warping it into a monstrous reflection of its new possessor. As a final mockery of his victim, he adopted a name mixing Keldor's with his own, calling himself Skeletor, Lord of Destruction.
    No, it makes sense! I like it too, very clever concept. I also really like your Mer-Man so far and can't wait to see a more finished version of him. Well done!
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

wow buzzoff looks terrifying like that. The black instead of brown, and a lack of body hair (like actual bees have) makes him look like a wasp. I personally ... HATE WASPS. Stupid things, floating around soda cans, ruining a day at the beach..... I HATE THEM SO MUCH ... lol anyways, AMAZING artwork.

I think having the good guys look a little more menacing like this is a good thing. It's what I've always loved about grayskull. I've met countless people that half-ass kinda remember he-man, and think castle grayskull is "skull mountain" and that it's skeletor base. You wouldnt think a giant skull faced castle would be the good guys lair.

Amazing work.
    Religion = The Horde
    Atheism = The Great Rebellion