Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mechthild's re-visions of MOTU

Love the look of Mer-Man. Very cool stuff. I like the turtle shell chestplate a lot! His coloring is also rocking.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Love the look of Mer-Man. Very cool stuff. I like the turtle shell chestplate a lot! His coloring is also rocking.
    Thanks. Mer-Man is one of my favorite MOTU characters, so it means a lot to me that others like my visions of him.

I realized I forgot to mention something I wanted to point out in my previous post: the Pearl of Dominance mentioned in the short bio is that round blue gem on top of the turtle shell, and that means the armor Mer-Man wears is actually his father's.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    Thanks. Mer-Man is one of my favorite MOTU characters, so it means a lot to me that others like my visions of him.

I realized I forgot to mention something I wanted to point out in my previous post: the Pearl of Dominance mentioned in the short bio is that round blue gem on top of the turtle shell, and that means the armor Mer-Man wears is actually his father's.
    Heh. That's funny. That's an idea I had as well with my own Mer-Man stories. He wears his father's original armor from when he was a great warrior (his father that is).

Heroic Warrior
    don't know how I missed this thread but those are some reeeeeeeeeallllllllly nice drawings.

Since illness and meds have totally blunted my creative edge, I've got nothing new and finished to show. Instead here's some old stuff. The thread about what or who the skull of Castle Grayskull might be reminded me of the Grayskull concepts I had sketched, and while looking for them I found a whole bunch of other sketches I thought I'd share.

Weirded out yet? The creature on the right is a naked Trollan. I drew this to get a better idea of the proportions under all that clothing. The reason why the legs are permanently bent (and actually tied into that position) is a Trollan cultural thing. And next to Orko's nudist cousin is of course Rattlor.

Some more Snakemen here, Rattlor and an attempt at Tung Lashor. His bare chest is really more appropriate for Rattlor but I wanted to use the opportunity to draw the scales on him. Below is a bunch of studies for Clawful and his race in general. I'm not sure why I made him such a pin head, it looks silly. I prefer Clawful to be smart anyway.

A different take on Clawful's head, though I feel the changes went a bit too far. Incredibly beefy sketchy Webstor here too. He must've been eating ambrosia or something to hulk out like that. And why is he done in blue? Well. it's because sketching lines done with a blue pencil are easy to remove digitally after scanning.

More Trollans! Well, a trollan. My idea of Orko is very 2002 influenced, simply because I prefer him not looking like a hand puppet. His arms and sleeves look horrible in this sketch. And speaking of horrible, the face on the lower right corner is Ho-Ra'kul the warlock. His mustache is totally inspired by the UK comics Horde Prime, but he serves a wholly different purpose in the overall history of Metternia, predating the Sword of Power. The third guy above him has bark-like skin, is covered in moss and is called Ha-Ma'drys.

"Humble yourself before the skull, for your life is temporary, a passing moment in service of eternity."

Finally the sketches I originally meant to post! There's three more or less complete concepts of "Pre-Grayskull", a crude concept of the Viper Tower and a small one of Castle Grayskull. The building I call Pre-Grayskull right now acted as a kind of a headquarters for the Ancient sorcerers before the Central Tower was built. I'm still uncertain if it's original name should contain the word "gray", or if that's just a human addition from later ages. If you have Viper Tower, why not Skull Tower? Anyway, the facade of Castle Grayskull is supposed to look like an imitation of that age-old fortress of arcane power, even though in reality it hides the very thing.

Since all of these sketches are still rough concepts, all comments and ideas are especially welcome (not that they aren't otherwise, of course).

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Very good! Your concept of Trollans I especially like (including the weird leg-binding, which gives them a touch of the barbarous) & I especially like the elongated Skull Tower, the Bark/Moss-Man & the horny-Clawful.

Keep up the sketch archaeology
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

VERY nice drawings & concepts!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Keep up the sketch archaeology
    At the moment it seems that's the best I can do, with this cursed chronic infection not going anywhere and keeping me little better than a bedridden lump. Too bad there's not much left except for failed attempts at Castle Grayskull, and then these obscure characters:

As you'll probably guess, this is my take on the "Horde elphant guy" concept character seen in Tomart magazine. I'm not sure where I got the name form, but I've been calling him Tusgore. You can see his development from left to right in the b&w concept sketches. I did the sketches out of memory but then realized I made the tusks too small. After taking a look at the original concept art, I tried to bring him closer to those proportions in the blue pencil sketches.

Another unfinished sketch with a quickly doodled barbarian to give a sense of scale. I decided to interpret the spiky claws as some sort of fistcuffs, since I felt they didn't mesh with the general design otherwise. I think it also makes Tusgore more brutal, because he could use any weapon he wants but he chooses to pummel his foes to pulp with his spiked fists. If Tusgore isn't a good name, perhaps he could be called Maulor. Or Maulloth. Or Maulodon.

This is my combined concept for the Capricions, an attempt to fit both Goat Man and Prahvus within the same race. I also did a cleaner line drawing that I digitally altered into Prahvus and Goat Man for colored portraits of both, but I don't want to post those yet. I'll finish them some day, I'm sure.

^^ Really like the Elephant/Tusgore sketches....

MOTUC RECORD

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...s/goathvus.jpg

This is my combined concept for the Capricions, an attempt to fit both Goat Man and Prahvus within the same race. I also did a cleaner line drawing that I digitally altered into Prahvus and Goat Man for colored portraits of both, but I don't want to post those yet. I'll finish them some day, I'm sure.
    I could really see this race giving us both Goatman and Pravhus, which are two characters that aren't even that similar looking in my mind! So a very well thought-out design indeed!
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Tusgore looks freakin brutal - nice work!

The Capricion dude is pretty sweet too.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Thanks to all of you.

I'm sorry to say I still have nothing new to share. I never expected I could be out of commission for this long. It did push me into finally posting some of my fan fiction on the forum, though. Do check it out if you want to find out who the strange horny warlock-guy in my sketches is supposed to be.

one final art dump

After months of infections and antibiotics, broken promises, fruitless waiting and fear, I stand at the threshold of what may be the loss of all my hopes. I fear the future more than I dare to hope, so I feel I need to prepare for the worst. I have already been sapped of all my creative energy, but I may lose even more, fall into apathy, no longer visit here anymore, perhaps even stop using the internet altogether.

That's why I'm posting the remaining unfinished images. It's either now or it may be never. They're all pieces that were left unfinished at the turn of the year because they all had some details that I felt needed fixing but I lacked the energy to finish them. But I feel it's better to show them flawed and unfinished than not at all.

I wish I had taken the time to finish my version of Clawful. The more I drew him the more I grew to like him (and what's not to like about a big red lobsterman?) As it is, I couldn't even finish figuring out how to do his neck "flesh" right or putting a loincloth on him. Still, if I could get an action figure of one of my redesigns, I think I'd go for Clawful.

I'm not sure if this will make Filmation fans happy or angry, but it's my take on Shokoti as a member of the Ancient race, though I don't feel I got the Ancient look quite right for her. She would have had her part to play in my version of the history of the Great Wars.

My version of Webstor's face. I'm not happy with the middle ridge on his head, but mostly I feel he came out right. I thought the darker shade gives him more "spideryness".

I really wanted to make a better version of the ancient Skull Tower, but this colored sketch I guess is as far as I got. Castle Grayskull as a free bonus.

These would have become my versions of Prahvus and Goat Man. Prahvus' horns weren't done yet but you get the idea of where I was going.

That I suppose is that. I can't say if you'll hear from me anymore, at least in a long while. If for some reason my fears fail to realize, I'll be back soon enough. If not, and the few months of near-normality and creative flow I got to experience was the last such period I am to get in this life, I'm glad I got to spend them with you and with MOTU.

Fare thee well.

Great work. I hope that we hear again from you soon.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Great stuff as usual!

And best of luck!

I intended to debut my Metternia bios today with The Faceless One's bio as the first in the thread. But then I kinda... forgot the sale day until the last hour, and I can't start a whole new thread with an unfinished bio. So instead I'll be posting some sketches of old Faceless:

He may seem mostly identical to his 200X and Classics look, but I've actually been in the process of taking his attire to a new direction by making it a magical suit of armor. A battle armor if you will. It would have made sense in the context of the bio.

Since I had this already scanned, here's a first look at my Whiplash redesign. I like the 200X redesign so much it took me a while to try my own approach. Then suddenly when looking at the Classics version it hit me what direction I wanted to take him: a humanoid crocodilian. With earlobes, admittedly, but still.

And finally a rough of my anime hyper detailed version of Catra's shield. I thought that if Carnivus can get a cool badass feline shield, then Catra should too. Also, I like cats.

Those are excellent!! The shield modeling is just wonderful!

MOTUC RECORD

I'm hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I hope you start to feel better Mechthild and will keep you in my thoughts. I love your interpretation of things. You've managed to make Keldor sympathetic which is perfect as is the idea of the sword of destruction and his costume reflects perfectly his future as Skeletor. Hordak, one of my favorite characters, is cool I love your making a technomancer and the concept of mixing technology with magic. Keep up the excellent work my friend
    Etheria will be mine!

Little something I drew for use in the Metternia race minibios. They're taking a while to finish, so I figured I could post these two in here.

They are based on Whiplash and Baddhra, but this time they're being used as examples of their races, the Caligar and the Sklerons. More in the bio thread, hopefully soon enough. (And yes, I'm trying to get the time and energy - curse my malnutrition - to finish Movie She-Ra, I've had the design sketches done for about a month now...)

Heroic Warrior
    Little something I drew for use in the Metternia race minibios. They're taking a while to finish, so I figured I could post these two in here.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...scalefaces.jpg

They are based on Whiplash and Baddhra, but this time they're being used as examples of their races, the Caligar and the Sklerons. More in the bio thread, hopefully soon enough. (And yes, I'm trying to get the time and energy - curse my malnutrition - to finish Movie She-Ra, I've had the design sketches done for about a month now...)
    holy cow!

Those are some fierce and scary looking dudes.

Good to see new stuff! Horny! Leathery! Rawrgh!

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I am absolutley in LOVE with your pictures, and interpretations!! My lord!!

And your Snake Men drawings give me the willies! I guess that means they work!!

You are so good! Keep it up!
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

Good stuff! I like the Whiplash and Baddrah a lot!

Thanks to all of you.

I considered posting some more race portraits, but I think I'll save them for the bio thread because they aren't really character redesigns. (Now I just have to decide whether to try fighting through my writer's block and finish all races at once or just post the ones that don't really get mentions in other canons first.)