Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mechthild's re-visions of MOTU

Snappy Threader
    Very cool. Amazing work! Buzz Off is my favorite as well.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    I've done a bunch of colored sketches for my race bios during the last month or so, and it's resulted in a bunch of color variants I thought would be fun to share with you.

I thought about entering an Akrani scorpion man in the Create A Character contest, but of course that didn't work out. Of course I also forgot that there already is a scorpion-themed character in POP, but then there's Buzz-Off and Sweet Bee so... Anyway, my original color scheme for him was orange and blue, but I played with the colors a bit and I really liked this all-black version too.

Tung Lashorr! I meant to color my Snake Man sketch green for the race bios, but the sketch was based on one of my favorite vintage characters and I couldn't resist coloring him accordingly. His colors are based on a real purple snake that lives in the Amazon. (I know his name doesn't have two 'r's but I prefer it that way. LASHORR! )

Now for something completely different: a naked Grizzlor

I guess he's technically almost naked anyway, at least the vintage version is. I colored a larger part of the sketch than I ended up using on the bio page, so I thought I wouldn't let it go to waste.

Last but not leech... okay, sorry about that. Last but not least, my version of Leech, a slightly different version of which will be used in the race bios. Say what you will about the vintage design, this is how I imagined Leech should have looked like right from the start: like a leech (with a bit of lamprey for good measure).

Next: he-roics!
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Your Tung LashoRR is awesome, love the colors and i love the research you are doing for your drawings.

Tell me why donīt you enter your Scorpian guy for the contest?

Awesome! Leech is just fantastic!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Met-Hild View Post
    I thought about entering an Akrani scorpion man in the Create A Character contest, but of course that didn't work out. Of course I also forgot that there already is a scorpion-themed character in POP, but then there's Buzz-Off and Sweet Bee so... Anyway, my original color scheme for him was orange and blue, but I played with the colors a bit and I really liked this all-black version too.
    I wish you did enter him because he looks fantastic and really vicious. I want creatures like this winning the contest instead of a silly guy in spandex with a camera for a head.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Here are two portraits that got left out of the race bios because of the image limit. The Dai and the Ailur:

About the Create A Character contest, the reason I'm not entering is very simple: I'm a European, so I'm not allowed to.

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Well, the last time I hinted at something He-Ro related but I'm going to have to disappoint... well, anyone who actually expected He-Ro, because I just got busy with something else. I wanted a picture of a Feran for the bios, but it turned out to be a pretty daunting task. The first attempt looked like a gorilla. The second one looked like Ron Perlman with gorilla makeup on. Then last night I was doodling a sketch and finally felt like I got it right, so I had to get it scanned, colored and posted.

So, here is my Beast Man portrait. As strange it might seem, his colours are based on even weirder looking creature, the golden snub-nosed monkey. If you haven't seen one before, go google it. They are truly strange-looking primates that would be right at home on Eternia.

I guess this is also my contribution to the discussion about whether beast man's face is naturally like that or just war paint. Actually I thought up all sorts of details for the ferans I don't want clogging the bio, but in my idea their forehead slowly goes bald as they age exposing that bumpy ridge, and only mature males have the white and blue face, while females just have pale-looking skin, so it's a sexual ornament.

And because I couldn't resist doing one, here's Tuvar.

Wow, fantastic artwork!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I was busy doing race portraits and forgot I promised to post some He-Ro redesigns! So here they are.

This first concept is based on the idea that He-Ro and King Grayskull are names for the the same person, and follows my earlier idea that He-Man's battle armor is the corodite vest transformed into chest-covering armor. So He-Ro would have had a vest of his own, only golden, and wear an amalgam of the loincloths of both (it could still use some work, admittedly).

And above is a sketch of battle armor He-Ro. The shoulder pauldron is inspired by the snake armor worn by King Grayskull. Since in Metternia King Grayskull is King He-Ro, it would logically have to be the same armor he wears in the war against the Snake Men.

More by-products of the race bio project.

I posted these sketches a while ago in black and white, and I figured they might all come in handy in color sooner or later. Orko and Moss Man are probably obvious but the bottom right one is not Horde Prime (though he might as well be the Metternia equivalent).

Stratos. I decided to go with an unhelmeted face for the Avionian in the bios, but I needed to draw one with the helmet on first to get a good grasp on the proportions. A perfect excuse to make a Stratos portrait.

I considered recoloring this Qadian portrait to more closely match Chief Carnivus or King Paw, but then I decided against it. This is what Carnivus looks like in Metternia.

Your artwork is lovely, have you considered commissions? You display both an imaginative knack for reinvention but also a very distinct craft style all your own. All in all lovely stuff
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    if they ever start working on the movie, they should take this thread into consideration, and work off of some of its designs, because its very well done, its great ideas and concepts. love seeing all the new stuff, and wouldnt mind seeing more of your personal concept art, like in the contest thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LupaLuna View Post
    Your artwork is lovely, have you considered commissions?
    I'm sorry, but that's not an option currently. I'll be sure to let everyone know if that changes in the future, though!

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    love seeing all the new stuff, and wouldnt mind seeing more of your personal concept art, like in the contest thread.
    I've actually considered making a thread about my own fan characters at some point. I've got a handful of ones I haven't shown to anyone yet, but none of them have anything better than crude sketches or a few lines of text ready at this point. Here's hoping I'll get to that eventually.

i myself love playing around with the motu character ideas.

i got to say, you got a lot of great ideas going on!

i like the sketches better than the colored pics, but hell you got a lot of imaginative power!

all available thumps up!
    Grazellka the mighty Barbarian.

See my 3d works at www.eyerock.de

I'd really like to see more of these awesome concepts.

She goes by Osmatar on DA, and if you read her blog entries, sadly, she's been having a long and painful struggle with health issues , which is why we haven't seen her posting anything new here for a long time. I highly recommend checking out her stuff there, and giving her some positive vibes; she could use them: http://osmatar.deviantart.com
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    She goes by Osmatar on DA, and if you read her blog entries, sadly, she's been having a long and painful struggle with health issues , which is why we haven't seen her posting anything new here for a long time. I highly recommend checking out her stuff there, and giving her some positive vibes; she could use them: http://osmatar.deviantart.com
    Oy. Thanks for notifying me. I'll check out her stuff there.