Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 729

Thread: Young Justice Cartoon

  1. #151
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,987
    Aqualad sounds to me like he's trying to sound like Martian Manhunter. It's that same stilted way of speaking. I agree they've undermined that by making all the other Atlanteans sound conversational. I presume he's like that because maybe he's the only Atlantean with his complexion? The rest were all lily white. He may have grown up an outsider even there.

    I agree the Orm/Ocean Master thing was a surprise. I'm guessing Orm has a secret, as he did in Batman:BatB. I love that Aquaman's cast is getting a good showing in this show--but Aquaman himself isn't. And I hate the beard.

    I don't agree about the characters needing to all be especially likable. I don't really find any of them unlikable either, but that's a subjective thing. I'd give Superboy a lot of slack because of the circumstances of his birth and life. The closest thing to a Dad he knows is having trouble dealing with him--and I like that they are approaching that from a human direction of father/son angst since the situation is loaded with that potential. I think it's very interesting to see that Batman is a good father. That's new for him, I don't think I've seen him rendered that way before. It's refreshing actually. But good character development requires some flaws at the start of the story. For example I loved that some very unfriendly characters on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine evolved into some of the most likable characters in the entire franchise over that show's run. I think this may be the same way. I don't want the grouchy angst to continue indefinitely, if they stay like this for the entire show then it's going to get very old and very static. But I feel optimistic about this, I think it will go in interesting directions.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 8, 2011 at 06:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. #152
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Aqualad sounds to me like he's trying to sound like Martian Manhunter. It's that same stilted way of speaking. I agree they've undermined that by making all the other Atlanteans sound conversational. I presume he's like that because maybe he's the only Atlantean with his complexion? The rest were all lily white. He may have grown up an outsider even there.
    I thought this as well. Aqualad sounds like he's either alien or English isn't his first language. It would make sense but the other Atlanteans didn't sound like that. It was also kinda weird to see Aquaman & Aqualad talking to each other in another language but Vulko & the rest of Atlantis seemed to speak English(unless it was a translation shortcut like in movies where a foreign language is gradually changed to English to spare the viewer of non-stop subtitles).

    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I agree the Orm/Ocean Master thing was a surprise. I'm guessing Orm has a secret, as he did in Batman:BatB. I love that Aquaman's cast is getting a good showing in this show--but Aquaman himself isn't. And I hate the beard.
    While I'm not a huge fan of the beard, at least he doesn't have a hook for a hand or a personality that is a Namor ripoff(like Peter David's interpretation imho).

    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I don't agree about the characters needing to all be especially likable. I don't really find any of them unlikable either, but that's a subjective thing. I'd give Superboy a lot of slack because of the circumstances of his birth and life. The closest thing to a Dad he knows is having trouble dealing with him--and I like that they are approaching that from a human direction of father/son angst since the situation is loaded with that potential. I think it's very interesting to see that Batman is a good father. That's new for him, I don't think I've seen him rendered that way before. It's refreshing actually. But good character development requires some flaws at the start of the story. For example I loved that some very unfriendly characters on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine evolved into some of the most likable characters in the entire franchise over that show's run. I think this may be the same way. I don't want the grouchy angst to continue indefinitely, if they stay like this for the entire show then it's going to get very old and very static. But I feel optimistic about this, I think it will go in interesting directions.
    I don't know. Maybe I'm just biased since, as a fan of Super Friends & DC superheroes, they are usually more likable than not. I can even handle Speedy & Red Tornado being distant since one felt betrayed & the other is a robot, but Superboy & Superman have never been portrayed as moody jerks before(at least I can't think of any time).

    I'm happy with Batman's portrayal. It seems that, in the post-Frank Miller DCU, comic writers have forgotten that just because Batman was born out of tragedy & and is extremely focused on his mission to stop crime, he doesn't have to be portrayed as a gunless Punisher. That interpretation has kept me from loving Batman as much as I used to. This Young Justice version is great.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  3. #153
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I'm just biased since, as a fan of Super Friends & DC superheroes, they are usually more likable than not. I can even handle Speedy & Red Tornado being distant since one felt betrayed & the other is a robot, but Superboy & Superman have never been portrayed as moody jerks before(at least I can't think of any time).

    I'm happy with Batman's portrayal. It seems that, in the post-Frank Miller DCU, comic writers have forgotten that just because Batman was born out of tragedy & and is extremely focused on his mission to stop crime, he doesn't have to be portrayed as a gunless Punisher. That interpretation has kept me from loving Batman as much as I used to. This Young Justice version is great.
    In All-Star Batman and Robin, Superman was depicted as young and a bit moody especially when talking to Wonder Woman.
    I personally like Superboy's attitude. He grew up in a test tube, of course he might be a bit anti-social. He does seem to be warming up as time goes on. I like his dynamic in the group, especially with the cheerful Miss Martian. The way their personalities differ really makes for good watching in between the action.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  4. #154
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,041
    Truly one of the funniest things I saw all week was Superboy covered in cooking stuff in front of the snow filled TV as Red Tornado walks in.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  5. #155
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    I didn't study the last episode but is Aqualad the only one with gills on his neck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    In All-Star Batman and Robin, Superman was depicted as young and a bit moody especially when talking to Wonder Woman.
    No offense to you if you are a fan of that series, but there isn't one character in that book who in anyway reflects the character they are named after. Batman forced Robin to eat rats right after the death of his parents for cripes sake. In fact, the editor responsible for it is no longer working at DC. Take that stuff to JoeyQ's Marvel imo.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 8, 2011 at 06:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  6. #156
    Eternian Arashikage King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,792
    one thing that bugged me in the last episode. aqualad had gills and no other atlanteans had gills....

    but others are right about aqualad's stilted speech pattern to make him feel like more of an outsider when around land born people. however, it really stuck out when ALL the other underwater dwellers did not have stilted dialog.

    perhaps aqualad is just not very social.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  7. #157
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,041
    Maybe he isn't Atlantean? Being Black Manta's son maybe he got gills from his dad who is typically a human, and I believe had some kind of underwater breathing experiments. Could be that.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 8, 2011 at 06:55pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  8. #158
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post

    perhaps aqualad is just not very social.
    Maybe he's autistic. I'm not even making a mean spirited joke. His father Black Mantis was autistic in the comics. He could be portrayed that way since he, while high functioning, has trouble relating to those around him.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  9. #159
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I didn't study the last episode but is Aqualad the only one with gills on his neck?



    No offense to you if you are a fan of that series, but there isn't one character in that book who in anyway reflects the character they are named after. Batman forced Robin to eat rats right after the death of his parents for cripes sake. In fact, the editor responsible for it is no longer working at DC. Take that stuff to JoeyQ's Marvel imo.
    No offense taken. I know a lot, a lot of people did not like how Frank Miller did Batman and Robin. But, that's not the point. The point is you asked for a reference for Superman having a bit of an attitude and I provided one. You're welcome.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  10. #160
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of the beard, at least he doesn't have a hook for a hand or a personality that is a Namor ripoff(like Peter David's interpretation imho).
    Peter David is a writer I enjoy a lot of the time, but he is often overly dark or overly irreverent/funny and only occasionally in between. I don't much like killing off characters for shock value, and he seems to do that a lot. Similarly, I didn't like the changes to Aquaman in the 90s--although that was an interesting look at least. I guess the beard just helps to age him up, but after seeing him with one in DCAU and in BatB, I'd like to get back to his real look.

    BTW, anyone else love seeing the Manta ship again? Man I wanted that as a toy in the 80s (and Manta himself).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I'm just biased since, as a fan of Super Friends & DC superheroes, they are usually more likable than not. I can even handle Speedy & Red Tornado being distant since one felt betrayed & the other is a robot, but Superboy & Superman have never been portrayed as moody jerks before(at least I can't think of any time).

    I'm happy with Batman's portrayal. It seems that, in the post-Frank Miller DCU, comic writers have forgotten that just because Batman was born out of tragedy & and is extremely focused on his mission to stop crime, he doesn't have to be portrayed as a gunless Punisher. That interpretation has kept me from loving Batman as much as I used to. This Young Justice version is great.
    Superman had some anger issues in JLU between how he responded to Darkseid (after the events of Legacy), and even Luthor. He even went to blows with Captain Marvel because he wouldn't just stop to listen to him. I've seen him portrayed as having the sin of pride a few times now. From that perspective I can understand his having trouble accepting a "son" he didn't father even accidentally. Add that he's never had a biological family relation before and it's all new territory for him. I think/hope we will see this change and not stay this way for the whole show. If they do this right, they will earn it when Superman calls Conner family (and just then, Conner will be activated by the Light and go postal).

    For Batman, I agree that he's portrayed too often as a grim and joyless. Personally I love that they show him attending to Robin's need of paternal approval. If nothing else, it makes sense that Bruce needs that side of the relationship far more than he needs to train a successor.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 8, 2011 at 08:54pm.

  11. #161
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,233
    They way they did the ship and Manta himself was great. I even liked how grotesque they made Clayface. From Bane to Amazo I think the character designs for all of the characters has been great so far. I even like Aquaman's outrageous beard.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  12. #162
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    I even liked how grotesque they made Clayface.
    The design looked pretty much the same as the one from Batman TAS.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

  13. #163
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,987
    Okay, fascinating. I wish the credits at the end were larger so I could read the voice cast! One member of the Light sounded a lot like Marina Sirtis (Star Trek TNG and Gargoyles), and it sure looks to me like they are in league with Darkseid on Apocalypse because that sentient robot beach ball thing came out of what looked like a Boom Tube!

    M'gann came out the star of this latest episode. I was rooting for her to solve the mystery early on and I like how she handled herself. But Superboy acting like the Hulk? They need to not do that again. His temper is getting old. I'm sorry that a lot of his womanizing and hubris from the comics has been left out so that Wally/Kid Flash can be that guy in the team. Was it retro-character development that Superboy seemed to have more kind words and smiles for M'gann in the flashbacks than I remember in most episodes, or did I just not notice that he's been something other than a grump? I get the impression he and M'gann made out after she covered him in eggs and milk in Downtime, but for some reason we're not seeing it (too soon?). This isn't really the Conner I wanted to see in a series, but I liked his relationship with M'gann in this episode a lot. No more hitting her! It feels too much like a burgeoning abusive relationship, even if he did lose his memory.

    I was somewhat glad we didn't spend time on Aqualad this week. I think he really should not go on missions into the desert, that should have been obvious.

  14. #164
    Scrolls Reviewer Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,768
    Loved hearing Linka from "Captain Planet" as Mera, wife of Aquaman!

  15. #165
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I was somewhat glad we didn't spend time on Aqualad this week. I think he really should not go on missions into the desert, that should have been obvious.
    If he hadn't shown up, I would have forgotten about him entirely.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  16. #166
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,041
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post

    M'gann came out the star of this latest episode. I was rooting for her to solve the mystery early on and I like how she handled herself. But Superboy acting like the Hulk? They need to not do that again. His temper is getting old. I'm sorry that a lot of his womanizing and hubris from the comics has been left out so that Wally/Kid Flash can be that guy in the team. Was it retro-character development that Superboy seemed to have more kind words and smiles for M'gann in the flashbacks than I remember in most episodes, or did I just not notice that he's been something other than a grump? I get the impression he and M'gann made out after she covered him in eggs and milk in Downtime, but for some reason we're not seeing it (too soon?). This isn't really the Conner I wanted to see in a series, but I liked his relationship with M'gann in this episode a lot. No more hitting her! It feels too much like a burgeoning abusive relationship, even if he did lose his memory.
    It either wasn't shown originally or it was M'gann's view of the situation, memories are funny like that.

    In the original Young Justice I recall Super-boy had been around for a bit longer so he had had time to develop a personality. I do agree for someone who hasn't had their personality developed he does seem to have a lot of angst.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  17. #167
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    In the original Young Justice I recall Super-boy had been around for a bit longer so he had had time to develop a personality. I do agree for someone who hasn't had their personality developed he does seem to have a lot of angst.
    While superhero comics may not be the most realistic examples of human emotions, Superboy was never angsty like this. His was relatively likable the second he first appeared after Superman "died".
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  18. #168
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,041
    Honestly I just blame the angsty approach on the fact that it seems to be common today in story telling with teenage characters. I will say it's always been somewhat there, but today it seems more a caricature of what it used to be creating a situation where certain characters seem to be defined by nothing but this angst.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  19. #169
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    What's the reason that Mattel still hasn't released any toys for this show yet? We've already had 6 comics related to it and 1 set of Happy Meal toys. Darkspectre said something about a part of the line already being cancelled. Is this show on its way out after only 9 episodes(I know there are still some more that have been made) or is this just a problem on Mattel's part?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  20. #170
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    What's the reason that Mattel still hasn't released any toys for this show yet? We've already had 6 comics related to it and 1 set of Happy Meal toys. Darkspectre said something about a part of the line already being cancelled. Is this show on its way out after only 9 episodes(I know there are still some more that have been made) or is this just a problem on Mattel's part?
    After just finding out that Sym-bionic Titan was canceled, I started to wonder if CN is just killing everything now. But I think they're just doing their usual starve/binge/starve routine with new episodes. There's supposed to be 26 episodes in the first season, and they've been renewed for a second season. Also there's a 10 episode miniseries spin-off I think as well. We'll probably see more episodes in the summer, or sometime in the fall we may get new episodes of this, Ben 10, Generator Rex, and Clone Wars all at the same time.

  21. #171
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,041
    big bad toystore has preorders for the toys.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  22. #172
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    The design looked pretty much the same as the one from Batman TAS.
    You're killing me.


    I don't think CN has any plans to give this show the axe anytime soon. DC shows usually have a long life on CN. They even started showing the Batman once it was in it's last season. If Justice League was any indicator than Young Justice should have at least 2 to 4 seasons if it maintains it's popularity. I personally do not see that being a problem.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  23. #173
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    We'll probably see more episodes in the summer, or sometime in the fall we may get new episodes of this, Ben 10, Generator Rex, and Clone Wars all at the same time.
    Unless CN changed their minds, we're supposed to be getting a new episode the first Friday in June.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  24. #174
    Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Neuthonian Suburbs
    Posts
    2,558
    the thing i don't get with these shows is the marketing.

    they are in it for the quick buck.

    they often stop seasons, wait a while, release the first6 episodes on dvd.......


    the real money is in the "product"

    the reason why xmen, Batman, spidey and those did so well was the syndication.

    the money follows with toys/shirts and everything else....... I don't get why they go away from those methods that seemed to keep shows on for so long.

    TMNT did well when they went to syndication..... he-man MYP would probably done well also.....

    but don't quote me, I mean, all the "kids" it was aimed for were probably already watching it at 10:30 at night.......

  25. #175
    I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hammond, IN.
    Posts
    629
    This show really kinda sucks.

    I guess I got spoiled by great DC stuff like Batman,Superman and the JL animated series.
    heck I'd even take Teen Titans over this, at least that was funny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •