View Poll Results: What is your favorite Rankin-Bass Xmas Special?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

2 8.00%
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

16 64.00%
  • The Little Drummer Boy

1 4.00%
  • Frosty the Snowman

3 12.00%
  • Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

3 12.00%
  • Twas the Night Before Christmas

0 0%
  • The Year Without a Santa Claus

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: What is Your Favorite Rankin-Bass Christmas Special?

What is Your Favorite Rankin-Bass Christmas Special?

As a spinoff to my What is your favorite Xmas Special? regular thread, what is your favorite Rankin-Bass Christmas Special? I'd have to go with Rudolph.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer followed by Frosty the Snowman. As a kid you knew it was Christmas time when these things came on TV. Man, I loved that feeling...because it meant toy time was near!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

a Muppet of a man...
    The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus! I love that show, but it's hard to catch. They don't air that one much, it seems. Also, the last time I saw it, it was edited down from what I remember as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus! I love that show, but it's hard to catch. They don't air that one much, it seems. Also, the last time I saw it, it was edited down from what I remember as a kid
    I think ABC Family usually shows it a couple times a year during the holiday season. It is also available for purchase through Warner Archive DVD.

Frosty!!!!

Finally I've found that I belong here.

a Muppet of a man...
    Yeah I think ABC Family is where i saw it, but it was missing some scenes. Thanks for the DVD info! I haven't looked in a couple of years, last time I did it was eBay a used VHS copy for 50-60 bucks. Glad they finally released it!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think ABC Family usually shows it a couple times a year during the holiday season. It is also available for purchase through Warner Archive DVD.

Rudolph, followed closely by Santa Claus is Coming to Town and then Frosty. I saw The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus when I was a kid and don't remember seeing it in full since. Seems to be the rarer of the Santa Claus: Secret Origins stories. I should get it for this years watching.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Man, I loved that feeling...
    I almost thought you were going to say something heartwarming, out of character, almost good.
    ...because it meant toy time was near!
    But you related it back to that evil thing called greed. At least you're consistent.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    At least you're consistent.
    That much we can agree on. If only you're cohorts in good were so dependable and consistent...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Next Saturday the 18th starting at 7 am Eastern, quite a few of Rankin-Bass' specials will be airing on ABC Family. Some lesser known ones like Little Drummer Boy: Book II and Pinocchio's Christmas are among the ones being shown.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer followed by Frosty the Snowman. As a kid you knew it was Christmas time when these things came on TV. Man, I loved that feeling...because it meant toy time was near!
    Same here. Rudolph = x-mas for me. We'd always watch it Christmas eve.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer all the way. Frosty the Snowman would be second for me.

I've always been a big Rudolph fan. It's such a great story. I suppose "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town" would be second. Stop motion animation is such a beautiful labor of love, and most people never know just how much work goes into it.

I just recently found out about the Rankin-Bass Halloween special "Mad, Mad Monster Party". Hopefully, I can watch it someday.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 11, 2018 at 01:25am.
    Odd Man Out