Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Board Games...are you a fan?

Board Games...are you a fan?

Just wondering what everyone thought about board games, old and new. I've gotten the bug lately since I got Fireball Island last year and Forbidden Bridge...a couple of the more 3-D games that are pretty fun to play. Also just purchased a bunch on the Bay....Loopin' Louie, Dragon Strike, Quicksand, Back Off Buzzard, Go to the Head of the Class and Payday. I really love having board game nights with family/friends. Just seems to always be a nice relaxing time.
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

I love board games Hero Quest is my favorite game

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    eh. Sorry not a fan. I was amused during the Simpsons when Bart called them "Bored Lames".

I suppose there are exceptions. I enjoyed Connect Four, Electronic Battleship (Despite really being a guessing game), and Stratego.

I guess if you count the RPG/RTS stuff like D&D or Warhammer it gets a little less boring, but I still suck, and some of those take Eons to play one game.
    I did enjoy painting some of the pewter playing pieces back in the day though.

There was one Board game though I DID enjoy a lot, and it was this X-men themed one (And I'm not even an X-Men buff) someone gave me as a teenager. I don't know what happened to it. I'd probably try playing it once in awhile. But anyway it was a cross between your typical Warhammer RTS board game where you chose a character, and buffed his or her stats, but instead of farming resources or taking control of land, the other part of the game was laid out almost like a linear board game. There were spaces you would land on, and have to pick a card, and then fight a random dice battle.
    Like you could land on a space with Professor X but get stuck random battling say Omega Red, who would be outclassed on Mental attacks, but he would probably own you because your physical strength was absolute crap.
    It too had figurines (Though they were plastic not pewter) that you could prime/paint. It wasn't that bad. If you find it at a tag sale (I'm sure it's out of print by now) with all the parts give it a spin.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

We don't play as much as we used to but my family loves playing Scrabble and Pictionary (sp?).

Not really... although I do like Clue.

a Muppet of a man...
    Love 'em. Really like playing trivia type games, Scrabble, Yahtzee, and if you get a good crowd that's ready to go the distance, a serious Monopoly game is a lot of fun too!

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haildagon View Post
    I love board games Hero Quest is my favorite game
    Me too, obviously. Also love Clue.

Board games were once a undeniable staple in my family's get-togethers. Now they all but cease to exist.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Board games were once a undeniable staple in my family's get-togethers. Now they all but cease to exist.
    same here which is a shame really. Every few weeks I suggest a nice game of trivial pursuit or monopoly or something which ppl agree to and yet we all end up either playing on consoles, looking on the internet or watching tv. It seems to me the world has out grown board games and that the only way you can get ppl to play any of them is to play the computer / console versions of them

i loved heroquest as a kid, but almost never had anyone to play it with. so instead i just played with the pieces. i remember drawing a map on that template in the back of the quest book. i tried my best to make use of every tile, every monster, every piece of furniture. can't remember if i was successful in the other areas, but i messed up when using all the tiles. i forgot that i could only really use half since they were all double-sided.

when i was in high school my little brother was pretty interested in the game. by then i was used to not having anyone to play with and didn't have a bunch of free time, so i ended up turning him down most of the time when he wanted to play. it was a very "cats in the cradle" scenario.

a lot of the time when the family is at my maternal grandma's house, we'll play scrabble. it usually starts out with just four people but ends up with most of us playing by the end. the people who join in late either team up with someone who is losing or they just float around helping everyone.

i always thought clue was a great game even though i haven't played in ages. i really want that wooden set that target sells.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Nah. It's hard to play board games when you're a loner...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Yeah for sure... lots of great board games out there these days, besides the classics we all grew up with. Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Settlers of Catan are great examples of newer games that are great fun. Lost track of how many non-gamer friends/couples have picked these up after being introduced at our place or on a camping trip...

A pleasure, Mr. Wick Blue Jester's Avatar
    I never could figure out Monopoly's popularity. It's mostly chance and can be more frustrating then fun.

I have the Pac Man board game which is awesome!

I'm a huge board fan, I like to play games on my board... wave riding, freestyle, playing with a girl on my board

I used to play boardgames a lot when I was a kid, mostly on Saturday nights with family or rainy Sunday afternoons...

My favourite was Scotland Yard

Yes indeed. Mrs. SOB and I are Board Game Geeks. We're into all the games normal people don't know about. Not into Ameritrash that much (you're big mainstream roll and move games and stuff like that). We dig on alot of the Eurogames and the kind of thing you have to go to nerd stores to find. Some of our favorites are Memoir 44, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Stone Age, Guillotine, and Kingsburg. An exception to our nerdy rule is the early 80's MB Star Trek game. It's really fun.

I also love Hero Quest. Int he past, I've added to my set with new landscapes, D&D minis and improved rules. Just haven't had anyone to play my beefed up version with.

Also, the wife, best friends and I have played D&D.
    Last edited by sonofblaine; November 10, 2010 at 10:18pm.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

forgot to mention before that one of my favorite's growing up was the uncle wiggily game. my grandma had a copy of this game from the 50s and i loved the illustrations on the board. it didn't have the most inspired rules (draw cards to see how many spaces you move) but it had a lot of character.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    I can take or leave most of them, but I'm always up for a round of Cranium.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

a Muppet of a man...
    For a good Monopoly game, you have to have 3 or 4 people that are A.) willing to play for the 3 hours or so necessary, and 2.) willing to trade and deal and negotiate. If it's just a quick 45 minute family type game, then yes, the experience is MISERABLE.

And is that the Pac Man game where the giant piece of yellow plastic picks up all the marbles?! That thing was GREAT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jester View Post
    I never could figure out Monopoly's popularity. It's mostly chance and can be more frustrating then fun.

I have the Pac Man board game which is awesome!

A pleasure, Mr. Wick Blue Jester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    For a good Monopoly game, you have to have 3 or 4 people that are A.) willing to play for the 3 hours or so necessary, and 2.) willing to trade and deal and negotiate. If it's just a quick 45 minute family type game, then yes, the experience is MISERABLE.

And is that the Pac Man game where the giant piece of yellow plastic picks up all the marbles?! That thing was GREAT!!!!

That's Pac Man! Awesome with 3-4 people. (Skip to the 2:00 mark below for the review to start)

I won't play Monopoly with more than 3 people and I always use a time limit.
    Last edited by Blue Jester; November 11, 2010 at 02:57pm.

Master of New Adventures!
    As a late-starting father-of-three, I'll take you all on a walk down memory lane:

I play Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, Clue and The Game of Life.

Some will no doubt think I'm silly for this, but to hear the sound of my children's laughter and to see smiles on their faces is a joy I am unable to properly describe and children's board games -- among many other things -- are something that creates that.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Yes, the Pac-Man game was awesome! We got it for Christmas one year.

Not a fan of the European-Geek games I've tried. I much prefer word games (Password, Taboo, Scrabble, Backwords, etc.), trivia games, and creative games (i.e., Scattergories).
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    I still enjoy the basics - Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble are still staples in my house, as are Pictionary and Scattergories. We also get a kick out of Cranium, but you need a bunch of people for that to really work.

I loved Clue, but haven't played it in years. Watch the movie every so often, though.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Best game in the world! Me and my buddies spent countless hours playing this... great times
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Board games these days don't get much attention although i did play Monopoly and R.I.S.K. lately but funnily it's never the same as you remember them to be LoL.

I love:
    Heroquest
    Descent
    Battlestar Galactica
    Smallworld
    Catacombs
    The new lego board games
    Stratego
    Pente
    Fireball Island

There's a real boardgame renaissance going on right now with renewed interest.