Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 025 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 025 Discussion!

Episode 025 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Danielle Gelehrter and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First, we talk about the packaged MOTUC Grizzlor.

Then, we talk about the new Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App. Click here to get yours today!

We follow that up fan voicemail where we discuss New Adventures of He-Man memories,
    we ponder Snout Spout,
    and then we talk a bit about the history of Castle Grayskull.

Also, don't forget to vote in the "Should Battle Cat/Cringer talk in a new live-action movie" poll!

A few "highlights" of the show:
    • Jumblies!
    • Troll Dolls!
    • Polished Turds!

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 025

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    My hero, Val! Something to break up the monotony of the midnight.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Great intro!
    Will listen to it during work if RBS won't swamp me with work.

Early this week, just downloading now
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Definitely diggin this intro!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Another great show! Kinda went off the rails a bit there, but that's part of the fun. Regarding Snout Spout, I have to agree with Eamon that I'm a little concerned about the eventual MOTUC release of this character. His vintage look is pretty... pedestrian? I love the way that the 4H updated his look for the staction, and I really hope that when it comes time to designing his MOTUC version, that they find some kind of "happy medium" between the two versions.

The Filmation episode you guys are discussing with Hannibal, Blackbeard, and the elephant he rides is called "Castle of Heroes". It's one of my favorites.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I laughed my *** off, after the Eamon-breakfast-stuff

Good morning!

I preferred when Castle Grayskull was the "fortress of mystery". While I liked what they did in the MYP toon, I'll always prefer the original where it wasn't spelled out for you and you could think up whatever you wanted to about it. I like the idea of it being the center of the universe and the center of creation! And, I think Mattel/FILMation thought the wiser as well since they never really used the whole "Grayskull was born of the Hall of Wisdom's ashes" idea back in the 80s.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Mark Taylor and Ted Mayer built Castle Grayskull
    They had the idea of a Giant in mind, who was sunk in the ground.
    His helmet is still on the top.The Castle was build around him by some strangers later.
    That was the original idea behind it.
    I dont think that idea has to be told as canon, but i would prefer somethings remain a mystery, cause mysterys mean possibilities!
    I agree the Boxart is one of the best but i prefer the Battle Cat Boxart!

Ps: i dig the intro/outro music!

No no, sorry, I should have clarified.
    We know Mark's story (which, while I love Mark, I'm not really a fan of that origin story).

I meant in regards to what Marketing had in mind. We don't know their initial ideas, hence we don't know why the Grayskull box art was presented the way it was.

But, as I mentioned in the show, the good thing about the box art is you can interpret it in multiple ways, so the mystery is there regardless.

The intro music is "What?" by Rob Zombie, who worked out a deal with me to use it for this episode. Rob is awesome.

I love how up in the air this episode was yet it still worked lol.
    The Zombie intro music rocks, best one used yet.

I agree it would just be great if they continued the staction line along side MOTUC.

I never knew the bottom of Snout Spout's axe was to hold his trunk up either. Like Val I must of just ripped him open and discarded the card as a kid lol, though I did used to squirt the water in my mouth as well.
    Snout Spout staction did rock, I'm not sure how but I do think the 4HM will make the MOTUC Snout Spout look cooler then the original.

Links to Snout Spout origin UK comic:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=910

Extendar and Dragstor origin UK comic:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=915

and here's the issue where Snout Spout gets the chance to change back into a human:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=925

I love these origins as thats what I grew up with so I hope they are used in MOTUC bio's. They even already have real names for Extendar and Dragstor with Theydon and Doodon (can't remember which on is which).
    Edit:
    Extendar is Doodon and Dragstor is Theydon.
    Last edited by 13977; July 27, 2011 at 07:41am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I preferred when Castle Grayskull was the "fortress of mystery". While I liked what they did in the MYP toon, I'll always prefer the original where it wasn't spelled out for you and you could think up whatever you wanted to about it. I like the idea of it being the center of the universe and the center of creation! And, I think Mattel/FILMation thought the wiser as well since they never really used the whole "Grayskull was born of the Hall of Wisdom's ashes" idea back in the 80s.
    Definitely. Filmation episodes like "The Origin of the Sorceress" really did a great job of providing Castle Grayskull with a great spooky, mysterious background that really went deep into the imagination.

Where as...the King Grayskull stuff just plain sucks. (imo of course! )

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The intro music is "What?" by Rob Zombie, who worked out a deal with me to use it for this episode. Rob is awesome.
    Ah no wonder!

Rob Zombie is definitely awesome, but I prefer the older White Zombie stuff.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I would have to concur with the musical maestro, Marzo on this one...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I'm suprised..! You're even a Vintage Purist when it comes to Rob Zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I'm suprised..! You're even a Vintage Purist when it comes to Rob Zombie!
    lol, he still got good stuff. I just happen to enjoy the White Zombie stuff. "Welcome to Planet **********er" is my favorite White Zombie song.

Besides, it's fun being a Vintage Purist with most things.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Funny thing is I drove into work this morning listening to "More Human than Human". I heard an interview with Rob recently about his latest tour.. and he said this is the first time in his history that when they play an old White Zombie song, people aren't responding. Damn kids getting into Metal and not researching the back catalog!!

When i first clicked on gooble and heard "What!?" I thought maybe i opened the radio station i normally listen to instead of gooble. haha.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    As much as I enjoyed the mystery behind Castle Grayskull, I was glad to find out more of its history in the MYP episode. It was still so far in the past, and still not everything was told to us. There was still so much left to the imagination...

Going from eons to 500 years is a giant difference. There was a romantic quality that the original stories had, where Adam and Adora were so far removed from their ancestor, but magic and destiny oversaw their direct link to him. With it being 500 years, yes, it's still far back in terms of blood, but for a monument... not so much.

If I were to go with Tytus building the castle, it'd still be placed there because it's the gateway to the point of Creation and the Big Crunch. Perhaps no matter what, whatever universe or time, there is always something on that spot... be it the Starseed's crash site, a cave, a pool, the Hall of Wisdom, Castle Grayskull, or a cycle of all of the above. I always imagined Adam and Skeletor leaving Primus and finding their way back to Eternia in that time, and the castle is gleaming and beautiful and so utterly brilliant. Still guarded by a member of their lineage, because that's the roll of the family, as Grayskull's essence is locked to the sword, and to that spot.

Maybe that's where the astronauts from Earth crashed when they first arrived and colonized the planet...
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Finally, a rock 'n' roll intro!

My count was off when I said the Horsemen had "10 or 11" characters to go to complete the 200X redesigns of the original figures. They actually had 17 characters to go. If you count Moss Man (which I do) then it was 18 left. I'll throw in Queen Marlena and Cringer for an even 20. *Sigh* I so wish they could have done the rest of the characters.

~Pennielle~

This is what I was thinking of throughout the entire episode:

Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Elder Councilman
    I stand by it: I don't see King Grayskull having diminished Adam in any way.

Adam has far more on his plate to deal with than King Grayskull did, and he's still only learning to use the power he's been granted, whereas King Grayskull was at the end of his life when he was that powerful; and even though that life was cut short in battle, he'd still already been a far wiser, older, and more experienced warrior at that point.

And just remember about the other "He-Men"; they don't have the ability to harness the power of the sword; they protect the sword and the power, but they don't use the power of it.

Prince Adam is the big exception here, and that's what makes him so incredible.

I'll say it again: that's why I think the Filmation transformation scene may be more iconic, but the MYP transformation from Season 2 was far more epic.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

That was a fun episode.
    Love that Kit Kat is back for another cameo. haha.

While normally I'm happy to sit back and just listen, so many time this ep, I felt like joining in with the conversation.

can't wait to listen to this when my shift finishes at work!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Hey Val!

On the libsyn-website. Can you add a running time of each podcast, next to the episode titles or perhaps next to the download link?

(I was checking supermanhomepage's "from crisis to crisis" page, and it's easy to see, how many hours and/or minutes a certain podcast is.)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Besides, it's fun being a Vintage Purist with most things.
    Errrrrraaaaaaa Waaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!