Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.48!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.48!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 48 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Swanmarsh,
    and proofed against old Q&As by Uncle Montork.
    Thanks to them for their help!

-------------------

1. Kagamigod:
    You stated in a recent Q&A that when you do get around to doing NA He-Man, he will be a bonus figure. But it was previously stated that bonus figures are mainly repaints with very little new tooling. NA He-Man actually requires a lot of new tooling such as his armor, shield, helmet and sword. Has anything changed in regards to bonus figures with more tooling?

Now that the “A-list variants” are part of the subscription, you can look for them to have as much tooling as any other figure. This is just our slot/system to bring out demanded variants of main characters to keep the “monthly” slots as new figures only. This way, each year you get 12 new figures, as well as four A-list variants as well (such as New Adventures or Snake Armor He-Man, Battle Armor or Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Blonde or Underwater Armor Teela, 200X Randor, 200X King Hssss, stuff like that). Originally this slot was for minimal tooling or deco only, but now that it is part of the sub, we can afford more tooling for these A-list reissues!

2. Steph:
    According to Toyguru, 2011 is going to feature at least 4 females. My question is, is Mattel going to explore new advertising venues to reach out female collectors? So far, SDCC, Toyfare, and the DC comic movies are pretty much aimed at the male audience. Or instead, is there a plan to make the upcoming POP ladies appeal more to the current male collectors who refuse to add pastel colored characters to their collections?

We are always reaching out to new audiences to grow the brand. As for the look of POP figures, from what we hear from the Horsemen, you won’t be disappointed and these figures should appeal to the hard core collector and the new casual fan as well. Stay tuned!

3. Reboot:
    In the past, you've said that doing a Sword of Power that matched Adora/She-Ra's Sword of Protection (i.e., the same design as the sword that came with those figures, minus the jewel) was out of the question. Considering that you've now said that you would consider doing an altered Sword of He with a future He-Man variant to give it a handgrip ala Tri-Klops' sword, would you also now consider doing a Sword of Power akin to She-Ra's, since "anything is possible"?

We might do the vintage toy version of She-Ra’s sword with a future She-Ra figure, but we don’t have plans to do any Jewel-less versions anytime soon.

4. willykfg:
    If there are any vehicles produced for the Classics line, will they be motorized like the Attak Trak or free-rolling like the Laser Bolt? Many fans would love motorized vehicles if possible.

There will not likely be motorized parts as that would drive up the costs. Although we may look at adding some electronics if possible!

5. Swanmarsh:
    In the vintage DC Comics Presents comic included with the Superman/He-Man DC vs MOTU 2pak, Beast Man refers to "Choloh's beard". Much like how the "Unnamed One" was mentioned in only one mini-comic, this seems to be the only reference to Choloh. Is the Matty team aware of and does Mattel have the rights to the "Choloh" character and has the Matty team given any thought to including Choloh (and the secret of his/her beard) in the MOTUC bio storyline?

We have full rights to the characters and looks of characters from the DC Comics. As to what aspects will wind up in the line, that is yet to be revealed. You are right, there are some cool mentions. Even Serpos is mentioned in the DC Comics!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 50!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 31.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 32.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 33.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 34.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 35.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 36.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 37.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 38.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 39.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 40.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 41.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 42.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 43.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 44.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 45.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 46.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 47.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 48 questions!

Heroic Warrior
    Hm. So they couldn't have done A-List variants with new tooling if they weren't part of the sub, then? Weren't the variants bonus figures to start, and therefore wouldn't have taken up a monthly slot anyway? Confused....
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Wow!

ALL great answers. Comprehensive!! Very good!

So I guess it's likely we will get Serpos as a Beast maybe. Interesting!

I knew King Hssss 200X was likely... That loin cloth on Carnivus has a SNAKE head on it.. It is not a cat

No mention of 200X Evil-Lyn... Weird. Stranger still is the second mention now of Underwater Armor Teela.

Could this be their way of giving us Bikini Teela?
    Sure, she'll probably come with the Scubattack weaponry (perhaps stylistically updated with MYP underwater armor details), but it would be a cool way to justify a bikini Teela.

Also, I know I shouldn't assume anything based on the answers, but TG has rarely mentioned a figure since this line started that didn't show up sooner or later.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    Hm. So they couldn't have done A-List variants with new tooling if they weren't part of the sub, then? Weren't the variants bonus figures to start, and therefore wouldn't have taken up a monthly slot anyway? Confused....
    Well, if you recall, the bonus figures started off as Zo9dak and Goddess, which of course are mainly repaints of Zodac and Teela. But, because the figures didn't sell out as fast as Mattel wanted, the bonus figures got switched over to being A-List variants. But, I guess Mattel sold enough "all-in" subcriptions to merit extra tooling for said A-list variants. You would think though that the bonus figures could at list be a C or D figure instead of more He-Man/Skeletor variants, but whatever.

Awesome answers, especially the one about the A-list varints!
    Awesome sticker included!

yeah, i think that's the big upside for the 'all in' sub (even though it ain't all in); it probably increases the chances of getting a lot more figures with a lot more tooling, especially the oversized figures, since they already know they'll sell x amount.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Wow!

I agree!

I had been thinking Serpos was most unlikely to be released as a beast figure ... but now that TG has mentioned this god, I think there is a chance (if the line continues to do well for a few more years).

I knew King Hssss 200X was likely...
    That's interesting. Based on earlier TG answers around the time of the post-SDCC Hiss-snake controversy I thought 200x Hiss quite unlikely. However I do read the mention of 200x Hiss as part of the A-list variant answer as a very good sign this version may one day be possible.

I just hope Mattel drastically improve the snake-body on the eventual 200x Hiss. Hinged jaws on the arm-snakes, more snakes, more of a wrap-around look to the snakes instead of bland celery-stick look, etc.

No mention of 200X Evil-Lyn... Weird. Stranger still is the second mention now of Underwater Armor Teela.

Sure, she'll probably come with the Scubattack weaponry (perhaps stylistically updated with MYP underwater armor details), but it would be a cool way to justify a bikini Teela.
    Interesting thought! However a Scubattack armor over bikini Teela would not be the Underwater Armor Teela from the 200x cartoon. I do agree, this second mention of Underwater Armor Teela does make me think some of the MYP variants could be on the cards down the track.

I'd love to eventually see Snake MAA and Snake Mekaneck. Eventually releasing these variants would also make the Snake-head Palace Guard an understandable choice.

Also, I know I shouldn't assume anything based on the answers, but TG has rarely mentioned a figure since this line started that didn't show up sooner or later.
    Agreed. Am chuffed to hear Dragon Blaster Skeletor mentioned. He's my favorite Skeletor variant. I want the dragon to be articulated and able to separate from the armor (as per the mini-comic).

I expected vehicles would not have motorized parts but it is a positive Mattel may consider some electronics. Just hope adding electronics doesn't mean these vehicles can't be shipped to Australia.

Sadly we are none the wiser about Choloh ... but it seems this character is available to MOTUC and not just some DC Universe voice of Fate, as speculated in the other thread. I guess time will tell.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Decent set of answers.

On one hand, the response on the A-list variants sounds awesome because we'll all be getting our money's worth on those characters, but at the same time I'm debating if I would rather have them invest more on the unique monthlies. Hmmm. Then again, investing just as much in the variants could mean proper toy line style POP.

See ask good questions and get real answers. Very cool answers to all.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Now that the “A-list variants” are part of the subscription, you can look for them to have as much tooling as any other figure. This is just our slot/system to bring out demanded variants of main characters to keep the “monthly” slots as new figures only. This way, each year you get 12 new figures, as well as four A-list variants as well (such as New Adventures or Snake Armor He-Man, Battle Armor or Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Blonde or Underwater Armor Teela, 200X Randor, 200X King Hssss, stuff like that). Originally this slot was for minimal tooling or deco only, but now that it is part of the sub, we can afford more tooling for these A-list reissues!
    WOW!!!! This is the best news that I have heard in a long time, besides making 200X He-Man out of the new KG.

Such a great answer!!!! With bonus figures, the fan fear was that they would all be cheap repaints or redecos. I'm so happy that this no longer is the case and that bonus figures are just as tooled as the normal figures will be! Such awesome news!

So they could do a 200X King Hsss after all! Here's hoping that they improve his snake form as well so they look like the Earl Norem snakes. Time to fire up that support thread!

Underwater Armor Teela too?!! That's the second time he's mentioned her.

Best of all, Blonde Bikini Teela wouldn't be cheaped out on! Someone find adam03 and tell him!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

While the Q&As don't always give us the info we want to hear,
    I commend the detail that went into these answers.
    It's most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Wow!

I knew King Hssss 200X was likely... That loin cloth on Carnivus has a SNAKE head on it.. It is not a cat

You stated everything I was thinking from these answers.
    Great answers in a long time indeed.
    Pity on the unavailability of my long time desired motorized Dragon Walker Classics
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    WOW!!!! This is the best news that I have heard in a long time, besides making 200X He-Man out of the new KG.

Such a great answer!!!! With bonus figures, the fan fear was that they would all be cheap repaints or redecos. I'm so happy that this no longer is the case and that bonus figures are just as tooled as the normal figures will be! Such awesome news!

So they could do a 200X King Hsss after all! Here's hoping that they improve his snake form as well so they look like the Earl Norem snakes. Time to fire up that support thread!

Underwater Armor Teela too?!! That's the second time he's mentioned her.

Best of all, Blonde Bikini Teela wouldn't be cheaped out on! Someone find adam03 and tell him!
    WOW !!! Snake Armor He-Man and Dragon Blaster Skeletor!!!!! YESS YESS YESSSSSSSS
    AND SERPOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! SERPOS !!!!!

Great, I hope we will see Choloh art figure anytime soon.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Anyone know what the current 'electronics being shipped abroad' situation is? If the vehicles do contain electronics I don't think international fans will be very happy if they can't get hold of them (such as what happened with the original release of King Grayskull).

When did Underwater Armor Teela start becoming popular?...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    When did Underwater Armor Teela start becoming popular?...LOL
    Since TG floated her name as a variant the first time. Some fans have picked up on it and now she has her own thread! I guess fans want that Manta Ray style armor. I suppose that would be a Man-At-Arms variant down the road too.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Some fans have picked up on it and now she has her own thread! I guess fans want that Manta Ray style armor. I suppose that would be a Man-At-Arms variant down the road too.
    Ah. Thanks for the info. Reading through the UAT appreciation thread right now!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Nice round!!

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    Anyone know what the current 'electronics being shipped abroad' situation is? If the vehicles do contain electronics I don't think international fans will be very happy if they can't get hold of them (such as what happened with the original release of King Grayskull).
    Much to my distrust on Mattel, I think that all that electronics on KG pack international limitation was bs.

Fellow friends were able to order in the subsequent years the SDCC DCUC Wonder Twins and SDCC DC Universe Justice League packs, both with electronic sound and lights, and there was not issue in delivering them here in Argentina.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Was Serpos really mentioned in the DC Comics? That's pretty cool!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Was Serpos really mentioned in the DC Comics? That's pretty cool!
    Issue#2, Page 14, panel 3.

"Serpos, have mercy! T-That voice...I know it well--!" - Mer-Man referring to Skeletor.

Good news about the electronics. Hopefully that means the Laser versions of He-Man and Skeletor will retain their light-up features.

Issue#2, Page 14, panel 3.

"Serpos, have mercy! T-That voice...I know it well--!" - Mer-Man referring to Skeletor.

Cool!!
    I like consistancy!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Solid answers (even to Q5, which I had thought had no chance of getting a worthwhile answer). Disappointed at "still no Filmation Power Sword", of course; but at least it was a straight answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    Sub figures have higher production runs than non-sub figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I had been thinking Serpos was most unlikely to be released as a beast figure ... but now that TG has mentioned this god, I think there is a chance (if the line continues to do well for a few more years).
    Still pretty unlikely - by definition, Serpos is Snake Mountain-sized and SM is *bigger* than Castle Grayskull. They'd have to scale it right, right down [to Granamyr-size, tops] to do even a $60 Serpos.
    Last edited by Reboot; November 17, 2010 at 03:45pm.