View Poll Results: How many versions of 1 character will you buy

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just 1. Always. I don't care for variants.

6 7.06%
  • 1 but sometimes I will take a meaningful variant

30 35.29%
  • 2-3 of my fav variants!

12 14.12%
  • 3-5 variants, I enjoy them

7 8.24%
  • 5+ I buy ALL variants.

30 35.29%

Thread: How many versions of 1 character do you buy?

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar

How many versions of 1 character do you buy?

Simple question, are you a variant fan or not? Doesn't have to be just your MOTU habit. Any figure line applies.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

Heroic Warrior
    I love variants. Was a little let down by BG Evil Lynn and I still bought her. Every released variant of a character that's been released is in my collection and I own multiples of some figures with second heads I liked like Fisto, Man-at-arms and Moss Man ( I have six different Teela combinations o_0). Not into the idea of multiple 200X era variants, but would love to see even some of those make it into the line (Ice Armor He-man and Fire Armor Skeletor plug shamelessly inserted here :P).
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and and original here

as a rule I try to buy only whatever version of a figure I find to be "Definitive"

However some characters, like Two Face or Soundwave, I try to buy all versions I can find. Others, like Anakin Skywalker or Jason Voorhees I get looks that were iconic from different movies.

Finally others, like MOTUC specifically, I get all the figures because it's such a great toyline and so important to my childhood and fandom. So while I dont particularly want every variant made of every character with a variant, I'll probably pick them up on principal. I do not want to have to buy Jungle Attack He-Man, but if they made him in classics I would probably feel inclined to buy it on principal. I'd rather they not make it though.

but in general if the look was important to me, expressed something of their character or history, it is definately worth a look to buy. But in general I do not want multiples of the same character in my collection if it doesnt offer something more.

Ninja turtles are a great example. I love TMNT but I would want one set of the boys and would be good. Not one of each iteration. Hence why I dont collect TMNT because I'd want them all to be from the same line, but the only line I have alot of is the original line. And even within that line I only want the standard version of any character.

Or Batman. I have more than one batman, but it's because it's a batman to a specific line. but I do not (for the most part) have a batman variant of any one line. Excepting the animated because you got his original look, later final season look, Justice Leage look. Then a couple I didnt want but came in 2 packs or something and didnt want to just throw away.

When I was a kid who played with his toys I'd only need one version of each character, but as an adult collector who displays his toys if it's one of my top toy lines I'll get all the variants. If it does come down to it, however, I do tend to prefer more first time characters being included over a ton of variants.

In the case of Classics since I collect/display both loose and MOC thus far I've still been picking up two of even the variants. I could see myself potentially switching over some day to only getting one of a variant to keep MOC and not get the 2nd one to open, but thus far it hasn't happened. Initially I thought I'd skip getting a second Spirit of Hordak to open, but then I went ahead and ended up ordering two (since I was already paying for shipping). I would probably have only gotten one of Filmation Hordak (given how he turned out) if it weren't for the fact that I'm going to need a loose Imp.

If it's not a top brand for me or one I'm not a completist with however I may skip the variants and just go for one of each character, or perhaps only my top characters.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; May 6, 2014 at 01:57am.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Heroic Warrior
    One, with any meaningful variants- NA He-Man and NA Skeletor, for example- cant WAIT for NA Skeletor!!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I can't stand variants unless it is a significant change such as NA Skeletor and He-man, Keldor, Adam, Kronis and White Evil Lynn. If it's just He-man with a different top on I find it rather cheap and boring. An armor pack would do. Selling a whole figure for the sake of a new top seems a rip off and pointless to me. Waste of a slot that could have a new character in that hasn't had a figure yet such as Saurod or General Sundar. Very frustrating.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    He-Man & Skeletor are indeed no brainers to me,
    fot other factions (POP, Filmation, N.A)
    they have to be quite significants to make my wallet speak.
    Nostalgia justifies the matter.

if its a TOY related variant then i;ll buy em(flying fists ,laser light snake armor etc YES even disco)... but if its cartoon related,then it would be a easy pass for me...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    Simple question, are you a variant fan or not? Doesn't have to be just your MOTU habit. Any figure line applies.
    I'm a big variant fan, but not of the nonsensical "power-up" variants from 200X.

I buy variants mostly in order to have my favorite version of the character from different media on my shelf. With some toylines (especially Transformers), there is always a better engineered version (or better sized version) of a character coming out.

With MOTUC specifically, alot of the original versions of the characters are not my favorites. Except for a dozen characters, I would prefer their 200X incarnations. I would like the Filmation incarnation for Trap Jaw and Clawful (more realistic than getting their 200X incarnations). Some characters, I'd like to have alternate versions so I can alternate their places when I'm in the mood.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

some variants are incredible, talking about NA skeletor and Laser Light Skeletor.

Battle Armour Skeletor is also amongst my all time favourites so .... Yeah i'm a variant fan BUT above all, i appreciate the uniqueness in designs

Meaningful variants of select characters for me, depending on the look.

I'm weird. I don't own TRAP JAW, but I would buy an 80s mini comics TRAP JAW in a heartbeat. I would definitely buy an ICE ARMOR HE-MAN, but have no desire for a THUNDER PUNCH one.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

All variants, but the day Matty starts pushing Filmation sculpts, I'll step back from that. (As in, for characters like He-Man, MAA...)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    im all in.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

With most toylines I collect I adhere to the less is more philosophy. I only need one version of a character and I'm good, so says the financially responsible adult in me. With MOTU though its a line I collected as a kid, with variants I had as a child, so I tend to pick up more than one version if I had the variant in my youth. I tend to skip variants like pudding cup Randor, and BG Teela, etc..because I would rather have a new unreleased old character.

I like variants to a certain degree. I like the Classics update to the old ones, but wasn't to keen on the newer ones like BG Teela or Evil Lyn.

In other lines it depends on who or why it is. Alt costumes for Spiderman and Wolverine I've gotta have for the most part. I'm a huge Batman fan, but only get variants of him if they make sense.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I am all about "meaningful variants" ala Battle Armor He-Man or Snake Armor He-Man...

But there is a HUGE difference between a "variant" of a figure and an "evolution" of a character. New Adventures He-Man is NOT a variant, he is a natural progression of the He-Man character. Just like Green and scaly Stripe is an evolution of the black and white fluffy Gremlins character, not a variant...

In other words, a variant character can exist in the same time period (e.g. I can go change my shirt and shoes into something different), but an evolution cannot exist at the same time (e.g. 200 years from now when I have my cybernetic body and rocket-firing arm cannons).
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I buy what I like.... I have BA He-Man & TP He-Man as well as DB Skeletor & BA Skeletor, and will buy FF He-Man and TC Skeletor as well. I own Hordak, would have loved a real headed Filmation version (but I have my custom), and I own Hurricane and SOH too. As well as SMAA (and a custom Filmation version of MAA) and BGEL on top of the originals. And BP She-Ra as well as the original. I just buy what I like, doesn't matter if it's a variant or not. Now all those 200X variants....I can live without, as well as if they ever make Buzzsaw Hordak....a useless figure in a Classics line without gimmicks.

And sometimes the variant is better IMO than the original, like EP Randor. I won't buy all variants, I don't like NA He-Man or want the Laser Light ones.... And I would love Filmation variants, true versions like Randor, not what Filmation Hordak turned out to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colossor View Post
    With most toylines I collect I adhere to the less is more philosophy. I only need one version of a character and I'm good, so says the financially responsible adult in me. With MOTU though its a line I collected as a kid, with variants I had as a child, so I tend to pick up more than one version if I had the variant in my youth. I tend to skip variants like pudding cup Randor, and BG Teela, etc..because I would rather have a new unreleased old character.
    Now with Transformers I follow that philosophy. I have G1 MP Sideswipe, I have no need to own the G2 version, never had it and that trying to **** face puts me off. I also don't need an all Silver toy version Bluestreak, never liked the toy wasn't toon colored I have the original toon colored Streak for that, however a true Blue Bluestreak variant would sway me, as well as an "invisible" Mirage or a Diaclone Red version of him, as well as a "Powered Convoy" version of Magnus, that is the extent of my desire to own Masterpiece or any other variants.

As for a Movie Bumblebee....my go to Bee is the HFTD Battle Blade Bumbebee, best version IMO, and with two small mods....he looks so close to screen accurate....I own no other movie Bee. Prime is always an exception.... HFTD Voyager Battle Blades Prime and the ROTF Leader Prime, and that is all I've ever needed in movie Primes. I also own MP-01 and the YOTH version of MP-10....and only because I bought MP-01 way back in 2004....if it were today and I didn't already own 01, and I had a choice, I certainly would only own an MP-10 mold of Prime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I am all about "meaningful variants" ala Battle Armor He-Man or Snake Armor He-Man...

But there is a HUGE difference between a "variant" of a figure and an "evolution" of a character. New Adventures He-Man is NOT a variant, he is a natural progression of the He-Man character. Just like Green and scaly Stripe is an evolution of the black and white fluffy Gremlins character, not a variant...

In other words, a variant character can exist in the same time period (e.g. I can go change my shirt and shoes into something different), but an evolution cannot exist at the same time (e.g. 200 years from now when I have my cybernetic body and rocket-firing arm cannons).
    Original....MP-18 Bluestreak (toon colors)
    Variant....MP-18B Bluestreak (Exclusive toy colors) (no desire to own)

Original....G1 Bumblebee
    Evolution....G1 Goldbug (would love to own a MP of. Bee is no longer Bee, he is Goldbug)
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I dislike variants as a rule, and prefer to have only one version of any character. However, I have been buying the variants of this line, partially because I have the sub and therefore no choice, but with figures like SOH and Battle Armor He-Man it was a case of "well I have all the OTHER variants..."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It depends on the variant. I mean, I buy all the Cobra soldier / Viper variants: Viper, Aero-Viper, Techno Viper, Night Viper, Cobra soldier, Cobra officer, Cobra Glider Pilot etc. I also buy all Storm Trooper variant: Storm trooper, Snow trooper, Biker Scout, TIE Pilot, AT-AT Driver, Sand Trooper, etc. Now when it comes to non-troop builder variants, it also depends on the variant. I buy Spider-Man but I'd also buy Black costume Spider-Man as well as 2099 Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider (yeah, I know but I did it only once). I also buy a lot of Darth Vader variants. So it just depends on the variant itself.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Last edited by she-manmasters; July 9, 2014 at 05:03pm.
    2 HIGH PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS SHE-MAN MASTERS
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/

Depends on the character. My absolute favorite characters, I often will by different sculpts, even if they wearing the same outfit. Luckily, the characters I build "mini shrines" to are minimal. I own both 200x Keldor and classics Keldor, cause he is a favorite of mine. I like different things about each figure If they put out a mini fig, unless the sculpt is horrible, I would snap it up too.

For true variants- it really is a case by case bases. Looks and some times story play into the decision. I own several different He-man and Skeletor variants because some are just neat outfits. Ice Armor He-man and Blue Fire Armor Skeletor are great designs.

For characters who have different looks in different eras, I generally default their 200x design.
    I own neither Classics or Filmation Randor because he is not Randor to me. I do own the staction, and would buy any 200x version and the new comic versions cause they align with my visual idea of Randor.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I only have one He-Man and Skeletor so far. Soon I will own IG Skeletor and I plan on keeping him since he's extremely different than the original.

I still want an MYP Sorceress, MYP King Hiss, and MYP King Randor because just like IG Skeletor, they are extremely different than their original.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."