View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "Zoar"?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zo-Arr like Filmation

111 53.88%
  • Soar with a "Z" like Pixel Dan

91 44.17%
  • Something else (explain below)

3 1.46%
  • Who's Zoar?

1 0.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Zoar" - How do you pronounce it?

"Zoar" - How do you pronounce it?

In the second weapons pak review Pixel Dan pronounce Zoar like soar, but Filmation pronounced it Zo-Arr. I'm with Filmation on this one. What about you?
    Last edited by Zargon; November 21, 2010 at 04:02pm.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

I've always pronounced it like Soar with a Z.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I've always thought it to be "Zo-arr" as in Filmation. It never occured to me until recently that there is a different way out pronouncing it.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Soar with a Z.

If it was supposed to be pronounced Zo-Ar it would've had a hyphen.

Soar with a Z.
    And I agree with RocketPunch about the hyphen.

Zo-Ar as Filmation tought us..
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I pronounce it Soar. She's a soaring Eagle.

Absolutely S(Z)oar. I hated Zo-arr from the very first time I heard it on the filmation toon.
    Last edited by He-Man123; November 20, 2010 at 03:02pm.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Soar...

Oar...

Boar...

Zoar!!!

Even in filmation I just thought it was an accent or something. Is there any actual English words that would SUGGEST that it be pronounced Zo-ar?

As a bird it was obviously a play on the word Soar. so That's how I pronounce it.

I picked the 2nd option cause thats how I heard it as a kid back in the early 80's.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    ... Filmation pronounced it...
    While it makes sense for names with no basis in American-English (the native language of the company that owns the intellectual property), I can't use Filmation pronunciations for a name that does seem to just be a play on words like Zoar is. Why?

Have you ever listened to how John Erwin pronounced "robot"? Ro-butt.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Soar with a Z. I was too young to remember much from Filmation beyond some very specific images and episodes that I saw often.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Soar with a Z.

If it was supposed to be pronounced Zo-Ar it would've had a hyphen.
    Absolutely. I'm pleased there's a strong voice for Zoar rhyming with soar. Filmation got this one wrong. But we all know Zoar was male to begin with, so the pronunciation of his name wasn't the biggest problem!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Interesting thought-----Did the Sorceress ever refer to herself as Zoar the falcon? I can't think of an instance where she did off the top of my head.

I'll always go with the Filmation pronunciation because it's an Eternian name in the series. It's like saying the characters were saying Orko's name incorrectly.

Zoar isn't a made up word. It's actually a place in the Bible.

Lot looked around and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan toward Zoar was well watered, like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt. Genesis 13:10
    Last edited by Blue; May 16, 2011 at 11:24pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I always thought it was just Z(s)oar until I saw Filmation on DVD and was all "What?"

All the characters have play on names, as do many X-Men characters. "Zore" makes more sense than "Zoe are." If it was meant to be pronounced the Filmation way, it really should be hyphenated like SO many MOTU names.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    That drove me crazy! Why did he call them that?! Maybe it was the same case with Zoar and he just pronounced it oddly?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I voted "Other" because when I read it it's usually just (Z)Soar. I dont really exactally enunciate it "zo-ARR" when I say it out loud, but there's definately a bit of a subtle two syllables. I dont stress the sylables, so it's kinda like more like "Zore" like with a harder "errr" sound as aposed to "aarrr".

"zo er" maybe.

Oh, and for the record the only reason I can accept the bird has a name and isnt just called "sorceress" is because the bird exists indipendantly of her and she "enters" it to leave the castle. Not saying she cant become a bird but just that Zoar is a male bird and the orange/red one at that. The Red/Blue one is Sorceress as a bird. This is what I like about the CLassics line, I imagine Soreceress will come with the Red/Blue one with a green Stand, and that both birds can/will exist at the same time, as I like to see it.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    While it makes sense for names with no basis in American-English (the native language of the company that owns the intellectual property), I can't use Filmation pronunciations for a name that does seem to just be a play on words like Zoar is. Why?

I'm with Josh--as far as I can recall, John Erwin's the only one who pronounced it like "Zo-Ar". I feel like Linda Gary (as the Sorceress) pronounced it "(S)Zoar".

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Interesting thought-----Did the Sorceress ever refer to herself as Zoar the falcon? I can't think of an instance where she did off the top of my head.
    I'm fairly certain she did, though I'm having difficulty remembering exactly where. It may have been in the bumper segments on the "Greatest Adventures" VHS tape. I recall her saying that she was doing something "as Zoar the Falcon."
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    In "The Greatest Adventures of All" she did refer to herself at the very end.

Go to 5min 28sec mark.

Should be called "Greatest Intro/open of All"

As for Zoar, it is Zo-Arr of course.
    Last edited by danielsan52; May 17, 2011 at 05:18am.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    In "The Greatest Adventures of All" she did refer to herself at the very end.
    Thanks for sharing that, Jukka! I didn't have "The Greatest Adventures of All" growing up, which would explain why I didn't recall this.

Since the Sorceress IS Zoar, her pronunciation should be considered the proper way to say it. After all, this woman knows everything. It's a hallmark of her character.

Now, who would tell Bow that he doesn't pronounce his name correctly? There are several ways to pronounce Bow as well.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

"ZO-ar," like Filmation. =)

Like soar or boar or tote or core, although I concede that some Eternians might pronounce things differently just as in Star Wars, you hear differing pronunciations of Jabba, Han, Naboo, etc.

Now, I hold that Zoar is the fighting male falcon and courier to the Goddess as in the earliest stories, and that the orange and blue falcon (or white/gray for TOD) is simply the Sorceress in her other form.

(Screeech, meanwhile, is the familiar of Evil Lyn's late mother, who watches over her for TFO and who acts as spy, saboteur, and messenger for the sorceress of Snake Mountain.

I also picked up a Beast Boy eagle, who is a plant-creature created by Moss Man and is known as Florus.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Zoar to me is pronounced like Soar. At least that's how i've always been calling it.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Filmation, all the way.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Like Soar, I had the toy before the toon came out, pronounced it as I read it. But here's the thing, on earth people pronounce things differently, North Americans LARGELY soften the T's in the middle of words (bottle, rattle, patty) so they sound like D's where british and west indians (general strong british english influence) keep them as hard Ts. Orko pronounced Skeletor kind of strange at times too.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure