Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 027 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 027 Discussion!

Episode 027 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Scott Neitlich, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The Roast Gooble crew starts their path down the MOTUC action-figure discussion highway, and Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich joins in to help them kick things off!

First they talk about the Green Lantern movie trailer,
    then you get tips on how to open MOTUC action-figures,
    then Scott talks about MOTUC Roboto.

That's followed up by more talk of the Four Horsemen MOTUC Grizzlor loincloth.
    And for those of you who liked the Episode 025 music, it may interest you to know that was "What?" by Rob Zombie off his Hellbilly Deluxe 2 album. Click here to buy your copy today and support the Org at the same time!

Also tune in for fun facts about the King Grayskull voice chip, the Mattel convention booth and more!

MOTUC figures discussed:
    King Grayskull
    He-Man

MOTUC bios discussed:
    Vikor

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 40 minutes, 25 seconds

Direct link for Episode 027

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Great downloading now can't wait to listen to this should be a good one.
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up that's optional.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    "The line needs more barbarian"YESSSS!!! Bring on the Fighting Foe Men!

Vikor rocks!!!
    Last edited by JimPansen; November 25, 2010 at 02:58pm.

great episode!

That was a really good episode guys.
    It was cool to hear Scott geek out like the rest of us. We've heard him before, but he's a lot more constrained in what he's saying due to his job. Sounds like he was able to let his hair down & have fun like you guys & us when we're listening.
    Thanks for posting this today as well. I hope y'all are having a happy, fun & safe Thanksgiving.
    I want my other half.

great great great show guys! ...

it was awesome to hear scott on the show, you can really tell he is a huge motu fan like all of us and his passion for the property comes across really well ...

i think motuc was completely the right idea and angle to re-launch the motu series and give all the original fans an amazing nostalgia trip ... this is the best nostalgia trip ever! ... and the line has brought motu back bigger and better than ever ...

i dont really have much to say this week, it was just really cool to hear the discussion unravel ... you guys all rock in your own way ...

oh, and big up for vikor!!! bring on january! ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; November 25, 2010 at 06:16pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Loved the episode. Only the inclusion of Emiliano could have it better!

And after scott's explanation I think I finally "get" the reasoning behind the only-one-head-sculpt policy. I am still not liking it and it does confirm my worries for future figures, but now I do understand it a bit better. *sigh*

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Loved the episode. Only the inclusion of Emiliano could have it better!

And after scott's explanation I think I finally "get" the reasoning behind the only-one-head-sculpt policy. I am still not liking it and it does confirm my worries for future figures, but now I do understand it a bit better. *sigh*
    I understand the idea of the different styles clashing.

But then what of adapting the good ideas from that other style to this line? I still wonder if you could get the modern additions like helmets, headbands and such only with the vintage heads instead of straight 200X translations for heads.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Having Scott speak so candidly is amazing.

Scott, is it just me or does Vikor look like the original He-Man face sculpt?

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Having Scott speak so candidly is amazing.
    IMO, it's because he got to be more of a fan, and he didn't have to worry with being the company man.
    That is just my guess, though. Scott can say for certain.
    Whatever the reason, it was a lot of fun!

Of course, as much as I love the factoids he dropped, I'm hoping next time he'll be even more fan.
    Because, dammit, I want to get into fan debates!
    That whole time we talked, I still felt some of that "I can't fully relax because Mattel's eyes are upon us" pressure and it caused me to stay relatively quiet.

excellent episode, it's really great to have this guy as manager.

I would have liked any questions about the movie.

I love Scott as brand manager knowing he's one of us. I do understand why he can't speak freely sometimes, because he isn't speaking for himself, he represents a company.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I love Scott as brand manager knowing he's one of us. I do understand why he can't speak freely sometimes, because he isn't speaking for himself, he represents a company.
    exactly, I guess that" behind the scenes" they discussed many interesting things

Great episode as always, guys! Notations are coming soon!

One thing -- in my sleep-deprived state -- I forgot to mention in my voicemail: I was actually listening to previous episodes of Roast Gooble Dinner as I was working late getting the store set up. They helped the time pass well.

Val, I'm really similar to you in my feelings toward trailers, at least for movies I know I want to see. Frequently customers ask me about comic book movie trailers, and I tell them I already know I want to go see it. I don't need to be sold on it, and miraculously, it seems, I'd actually like some surprises when I watch the movie.

Eamon, is it possible at some point watching the Green Lantern trailer you were seeing Hector Hammond while a green glow was lighting him? Similar to The Leader and Sinestro, he's got his share of cranial differences.

Scott, it was great to hear you mention Attitubes!!! Bring 'em on!!!

Notations!

EPISODE 027
    Runtime: 1 hour, 40 minutes, 25 seconds
    Fan Art of the Week: Sllohcin's "World of He-Man" (Sllohcin-vision 2.0)
    Fan Site of the Week: AdamPortugal.blogspot.com
    Collectible of the Week: None this episode.

Discussion: King Grayskull MOTUC figure, Vikor MOTUC bio, and He-Man MOTUC figure.

Items of Note:

And (let me know if this is the correct video, please -- my desktop & YouTube don't get along)...
    Pixel Dan's SDCC 2008 King Grayskull Video Review:

Last edited by josh; November 25, 2010 at 10:51pm.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Loved hearing TG on the show. Please have him back soon! Though I could do without the GL talk since this is a MOTU-based discussion, but I digress.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Great show this time. Well, as always ;-) It was fantastic to hear Scott as a fan and I loved hearing all the little tidbits that cleared a lot of things up for me. I'm really looking forward to mor action figure discussions!

Also, all the talk about SDCC made me want to go there even more, but being in Germany it propably won't happen for some time. One day I'm going to manage to be there, and for the get together of course.

Now that both the Four Horsemen and Toyguru have put their voices behind Emilianos return to the show, there's no way he can ignore it anymore (I hope ).
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Great show guys. I was surprised to hear Scott but he contributed well to the show. He seems to take the flak he and Matty sometimes gets on the boards quite well and was even making jokes about it. He seems to have a good sense of humour. Was nice he dropped a few hints of upcoming stuff on us as well.

I actually paused the show a few minutes in to check out the The Green Lantern trailer so thanks for the heads up about that.

Glad to hear Val stuck to he guns on KG and I was glad Eamon brought up the second Grizzlor face.

Nice to hear the 4HM drop in, maybe they (or one of them) could be a guest host or interviewed one show.

The moment you guys couldn't remember something about the show, think it was the ice place thing, I just thought 'now this is why we need Emiliano' lol.

Yes there is an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm when Larry is struggling to open something, I've got feeling it was an episode in the last season, season 7, maybe the first episode. I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Last edited by 13977; November 26, 2010 at 05:17am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

A few thoughts:
    Preternia Map? Could the 2012 Sub figure be Eldor?

I've said it before, but King Grayskull's face looks like Pre plastic surgery Chyna.

I'm not that bummed about backwards shoulders. My He-Man has them, and so does my Roboto.

I really want Emilliano to come back, and so does everybody else.

Fun show, and I hope Scott comes back on for more figure discussion soon.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Vikor!!! And REALLY hope to see the Fighting Foe Men!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

About vintage He-Mans angry face.
    I think that look has to do with the Battle Ready concept.
    He should look like he was ready to fight.
    A Hero would not smile when he has to fight.
    To smile when you in a circumstance, where you have to fight for your live , is for the absolute evil characters and psychopaths.
    A hero also shouldn´t show fear or look neutral like a robot.
    A true hero would be really ****** off, that he has to fight.
    Cause those who stand for the good thing and peace, don´t want to have to fight.
    I think

I think you're getting into "what makes a hero" vs "what makes someone good"

A villain can be a hero to those around him if he's victorious, did something for the group's benefit, etc.
    A hero isn't necessarily good. It all depends on the context.

But He-Man is both a hero and good.
    And I personally don't like the idea of a champion of good being sculpted as permanently angry.

At that point, it just depends more on how you want He-Man to be written as a character.
    It's all subjective.

This gooble confirmed something I suspected a long time ago:
    We need Emiliano on it.
    Hearing Scott being a bit loose is nice... he sounds like a different guy than when he's on Con booths and stuff.
    I understand the reasoning behind "That style is retired". Still I feel that 200X elements CAN be CLASSICS-ized without turning into vintage. Look at Lay Ze-Man's 200X He-Man head photoshop that's been making rounds through various forums.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior

Problems. Help.

I can't seem to listen to it.

I'm having troubles with the direct link. It comes up but it doesn't play.

I don't think the trouble is on my end.

I'm really looking forward to the Unemployed Skeletor with Battle Pigeon as accessory. That's gonna rock!
    Last edited by He-Man123; November 26, 2010 at 10:04am.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I think you're getting into "what makes a hero" vs "what makes someone good"

A villain can be a hero to those around him if he's victorious, did something for the group's benefit, etc.
    A hero isn't necessarily good. It all depends on the context.

But He-Man is both a hero and good.
    And I personally don't like the idea of a champion of good being sculpted as permanently angry.

At that point, it just depends more on how you want He-Man to be written as a character.
    It's all subjective.
    No i meant, that if you put a (good)hero in the situation where he has to fight, he will look angry. And the figure was intended for exactly that situation( the kid should fight with it).
    The Face is the result of the battle-ready concept.
    (maybe my sentences are a bit ambiguous, cause im german and its a little difficult for me).
    Nevermind why does Eamon have the ability to interact with a voicemail?