Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still hope for FILMation characters?

Still hope for FILMation characters?

So we are two years into this line and while we are getting great characters like Vikor, it makes me wonder about the Filmation characters. Mattel's answer about Filmation is usually "we do not have the rights to Filmation characters at this time". Will this change? Will Mattel ever get the rights or is that answer being used to simply lead us on while incorporating new characters like Vikor? I'm starting to loose hope and doubt we will get characters like Scorpia or Strong Arm or Kudok ungol and I guess these new characters (Wun-Dar) kinda make up for it.

What does everyone else think? Do you believe we will eventually get Filmation Characters in this line? Lets say they DO aquire them five years from now, will you still be collecting then?
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

We cannot comment on any figures beyond King Hisss at this time.

It all depends on how much it costs Big-Evil-Toy-Company to get the rights versus how much profit it will make them in the end.

If Count-Or (Evil-Toy-Company-Accountant) figures out that the profit is minimal or impossible, Exek-Utor (Evil-Toy-Company-Executive) will mutter something about shareholders and the wonders of Filmation will not be incarnated in articulated plastic.

C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; November 25, 2010 at 03:07pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Without any new media there's no motivation for Mattel to purchase the Filmation rights. MOTUC figures sell regardless of what they are, a Count Marzo sells out just as a Shadow Weaver would.

So unless Mattel feel they need an extreme shot in the arm for the franchise or there's a new movie or TV show or somesuch, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Not for nuthing flimation had some really cool characters but if they had the rights to dot hem as well we might not hqve gotten to such figures as hero,vikor preternia heman and others.

There are some flimation characters such as batros stromarm and icer and lizard man but beyond them i really have no real need them now interest. I'm not saying I wouldn't love what ever they come out with but I like the way the line has been moving so far.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I think there is always the hope. I believe mattel has tried but no luck yet.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    It comes down to two things:

1) Cost - Mattel may not be willing to drop the money required to get the rights to the series, or Classic Media may be asking more than it's worth (IE, selling the Filmation catologue in bulk, including a bunch of series that Mattel couldn't care about).

2) Timing - as it's been said, no matter who we get month-to-month, it's selling out. Matty's 2012 plan could be Fighting Foe Men and Fuerza-T figures, and they'd still sellout at this point. But give it a year where sales don't pass muster... and Mattel may see the Filmation cast as a way to inject new life into the line, and push it along another few years.

It will come down to when, more than if. A movie year is the time that DVD sales might net some fat cash, and that's about the time Mattel might decide licensing for the show be worth the initial price of ownership. Hasbro did this a few years ago, as Hollywood Greenlights started shining on GIJoe and Transformers, and Shout! Factory was quick to rerelease both series on DVD during the peak-of-hype window that followed both films.

I could care less about filmation myself. Theres plenty to do with vintage, pop, na and 200x.

I'd love Filmation toys but I don't expect to see them. ToyGuru is partial to the 2002 line(which, based on the Bios, also includes the MYP toon) and his bosses don't seem to want to "waste" their money by gaining the rights to 30 year old toons in order to populate a toyline that they aren't very enthusiastic about to begin with(at least they don't seem to be imo).

Also, since we're so far into the line, I'd almost prefer Filmation to get its own toyline rather than introducing a bunch of variants into MOTUC like Evil-Lyn or King Randor. A lot of the Filmation exclusive characters also have such distinct looks, they'd need to be "updated" or we'll just be inundated with a bunch of complaints about how they don't fit with the toys already released for MTOUC.

I just hope this thread doesn't get closed like a similar one I made earlier this year due to Filmation opponents.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; November 25, 2010 at 05:58pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Co-Creator of the NV
    I do not think that there is less hope now than there was at any point prior to now during the life of MOTUC, but I also don't think that the chances are good.

Given how small this line is, I doubt that the numbers would work out well to get the filmation characters. Obviously this depends on the cost, but I doubt they'd come cheaply enough to justify selling a few extra figures when the line is so miniscule to start with.

In the future, should MOTU return to retail (whether it be a MOTUC line or alternatively a line related to a movie or cartoon), I think the chances of Filmation characters being incorporated is much better. Admittedly, even then I have my doubts about it happening, but regardless of those doubts I think it'd be a far more likely occurrence then.

I'm sure there is so much legal involved it's crazy. It would have to make sense money wise for the both sides to come out on top and so etimes that's hard to compromise. Now more then ever look how popular the line has become. So they still could be negotiating but there could be nuthing brewing as well. Only time will tell.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I'll never let go of the hope, I'll cling onto it, like turds clinging onto Beastman's butt.
    Does Galactus fart?

I think there is a definite plan in the minds of ToyGuru and the decision makers to get the rights to some characters. There is no need right now, lots to do with the line right now, and not to start anything, even if they get the rights, the are not going to make a whole lot of figures from Filmation. I watched the show as a kid, had the toys, and some of the names that are thrown around on this forum in the "idol" or wishlist threads, are kinda ridiculous. They know, as most of us here, that those figures won't sell. They will make regulars that never appeared before (Shadow Weaver / Scorpia / The nut with the Broom from She-Ra's Group...but none of those one or two episode villians or characters, as cool as some of them were.)

Be realistic, this is a business, and they make products, to make money, and they will make as many products as they can, to make money and there is nothing wrong with that! If they announce a figure, and everyone asks "who?" They won't make money.

I bet they still are saying prayers about "Chief Carnivus". He sold out, but I bet his production numbers were the lowest yet. They tested the waters of a "one shot wonder", I hope it paid off...
    (BTW not knockin Carnivus, he is a magnificent figure, the Horsemen are gods)

There will be a Shadow Weaver...........Someday............
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

I still think there's hope. TG and Mattel have shown they are interested in making obscure fan-demanded characters like Goddess, Wun-Dar, He-Ro, concept art Vikor and Preternia He-Man from the mini-comics. They have also said poster art and model kit pilots are potentials.

It is difficult to believe these types of fan demanded figures would be made in the line, as a nod to true fans, but higher profile FILMation exclusive characters not be made.

Remember, Toyguru did ask fans on the .Org which FILMation characters people want.

My belief (hope) is that Mattel is waiting for the right time to secure a deal on the FILMation rights and introduce characters like Shadow Weaver, Kothos, Fang Man, etc, at a time when the line needs a publicity boost.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I'm just going to re-iterate what a few people have said, that whilst certain Filmation characters are cool, if we get 30 minute sell outs on obscure figures, then there is no financial reason to get them at this time
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I hope we get some Filmation eventually. Seems that whichever company legally owns those rights, doesn't wish to sell them at an acceptable price. Reminds me of the "Thundercats" issues. I hope we do eventually get Filmation characters. I think theres an equally marketable world of concept art in the Filmation series that would continue to sell.

We probably won't see Filmation unless the line goes retail or its 2018 and we've exhausted the variant and other available figures...

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I'm just going to re-iterate what a few people have said, that whilst certain Filmation characters are cool, if we get 30 minute sell outs on obscure figures, then there is no financial reason to get them at this time
    unless you take into account the fact that they could recycle tooling that they currently have (or will undoubtedly be making soon) with no possibilities for reuse outside of the filmation library. They could probably produce a few Trollans using the Orko tooling that is otherwise useless without filmation. Once they make Kowl, they could very cheaply make the evil and female versions of his species from the She-Ra show. And once we get Marlena, they are more than halfway done with a Shadow Weaver.

Now we dont really know how much money individual characters with minimal tooling make compared to how much money it would cost to get the filmation rights but its something to think about. And once they have those rights, then there are at least 10 other characters that would require about the same amount of tooling as the current figures that would sell quite well too. We could get some filmation variants too that would probably bring in money without costing too much in tooling.

I agree! If Marlana is made then the only thing they will need to tool for shadow weaver is a new belt, hood/ head, a cloke (if it's not made out of material and possibily some new witchy hands. Not forgetting a weapon of some kind. The majority of the work will have already been done! Following is a custom shadow weaver I made. All I had to do was shape some sculpy around a Teela head and legs. IF Mattel ever get the rights I don't think it will cost too much to make the extra tools needed to make her, compaired to a completely new sculpt like king Hiss.

Last edited by Angel-T; November 25, 2010 at 10:02pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I'm not feeling very optimistic on the filmation rights issue, but in the meantime, lets celebrate the filmation characters we have already gotten like Adora, Adam and Orko!

My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Heroic Warrior
    IF they don't have them by NOW (wouldnt' surprise me if they did...) Then I don't see them getting them. You can hope if you want, but I doubt they'd bother.

If they DON"T have them now... they already claim to have the line planned out to 2016... and honestly that's not even ALL the vintage stuff factoring in... between the three lines, the 200x varients theyve hinted at, the prototypes and drawings they're working with...

They don't really NEED filmation.

The line is planned out... everything is SELLING out... and they REALLY wouldn't GET much out of the deal.

Shadow weaver.

That's about the only B-List character that comes to mind... They already did Filmation Adora, and She-ra and Bow... They can do Marlena in whatever color dress they want...

What A list character is there? Lizard man? Skeletor Robot knights?? All extra, bonus stuff... but nothing worth going out of their way to fight for.

I see your point about A list and B list characters, but Shadow Weaver, Strong Arm, Evil Seed, and Fang Man,(which are some of my favorite "extras") all had considerably more screen time and dialogues than say: Optikk, Jistsu, Ninjor, etc. etc.

(Optikk may have had many episodes, but I believe he only spoke 3 or 4 times in both seasons combined)

Shadow Weaver is easily one of the most interesting characters of the Horde.

All the figures I want, were released as toys in the 80's, so I don't realy care.

But The Filmation Crystal Castle would be a Dream Come True!

I think Shadow Weaver, Madam Razz & Broom, Scorpia, Octavia, Huntara, Shekotti, Icer, Fangman, Melog and Light Hope would be incredable sellers. Hunga The Harpy, Red Knight, General Sundar, Ago King of Trolls, King Mika, Sea Hawk, Norwin, Shakra & Lonni would all be great sellers and The Dark Riders would make an incredable Two Pack. There are loads of of amazing figures, beasts and two packs that could be made. Filmation was THE vehical that brought MOTU to the masses and Shadow Weaver is probably the most fan requested character ever. But who knows if we will ever see these fan adored characters.
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 25, 2010 at 11:33pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Also, since we're so far into the line, I'd almost prefer Filmation to get its own toyline rather than introducing a bunch of variants into MOTUC like Evil-Lyn or King Randor. A lot of the Filmation exclusive characters also have such distinct looks, they'd need to be "updated" or we'll just be inundated with a bunch of complaints about how they don't fit with the toys already released for MTOUC.

I just hope this thread doesn't get closed like a similar one I made earlier this year due to Filmation opponents.
    This is what I've been hoping for since 1983! Imagine a Filmation accurate He-Man figure, or King Randor, or Clawful, or Hordak etc., etc.. the list goes on and on. I am totally partial to the "less-detailed" cartoon type figures (I prefer the old Kenner Ghostbusters figs compared to the new Matty ones...) so I would be in heaven if this idea came to fruition!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Exactly. At this time.

I am hoping the MOTUC line does so well that Mattel has no choice but to acquire the Filmation rights (if they haven't already) and start producing the massive plethora of figure ideas from the series. That. would. rock!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I am totally partial to the "less-detailed" cartoon type figures (I prefer the old Kenner Ghostbusters figs compared to the new Matty ones...) so I would be in heaven if this idea came to fruition!
    Except for the JLU toyline(although that has more to due with the angles on the characters' designs than their lack of detail), I agree with this. I love the Ghostbusters movies but I really wish we were getting the animated series in toy form over the movies(although I'd love to get a Dana Barrett toy).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!