Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still hope for FILMation characters?

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Shokoti, you're right about the JLU. I definitely prefer the DCUC to the JLU, but I still think they are cool.

And I'm with you on the Dana figure! Mattel HAS to give us one sooner or later, after all, they gave us Walter Peck for goodness sakes!!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Elder Councilman
    I'm more than positive we'll be getting Filmation characters in time.

ToyGuru has specifically mentioned that they're trying to space heavy hitters out over time so all the best stuff doesn't get released at once....so we hear we're getting Panthor, King Hiss, and Swift Wind in '11...and everyone gets depressed that we've heard nothing of Shadow Weaver or StrongArm.

C'mon, people! Masters of the Universe Classics is a major experiment on Mattel's part...one that--suffice it to say--has never really been tried on such a grand scale by any other company. And that experiment...is succeeding beyond everyone's wildest dreams.

They'll reveal Filmation stuff in time, but I don't think they believe it's necessary just yet. And based on the look of the Shadow Beast, I'm under the belief they have the license already.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Until it is explicitly stated that there will never be Filmation based figures, there IS hope.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I think Shadow Weaver, Madam Razz & Broom, Scorpia, Octavia, Huntara, Shekotti, Icer, Fangman, Melog and Light Hope would be incredable sellers. Hunga The Harpy, Red Knight, General Sundar, Ago King of Trolls, King Mika, Sea Hawk, Norwin, Shakra & Lonni would all be great sellers and The Dark Riders would make an incredable Two Pack. There are loads of of amazing figures, beasts and two packs that could be made. Filmation was THE vehical that brought MOTU to the masses and Shadow Weaver is probably the most fan requested character ever. But who knows if we will ever see these fan adored characters.
    I considered myself a MAJOR Filmation fan... Used to watch it ALL the time... I was only allowed 1 hour of cartoons a day, and HE-MAN was IT!!! That said, Shadow weaver, Madam Razz & Broom, Scorpia and Sea Hawk are the only names I recognize on that list. Ohh... Light hope of course, but not really a 'figure'

Madam Razz i would NOT buy.

I think most of those names would be big sellers... because I believe anything with the MOTUC sticker on it is going to sell out SUPER-FAST... but yeah... I don't know how they'd convince the executives that it was a worthwhile venture...

Also, I think there would be a lot of PoP fans freaking out that their favorite characters are pushed aside for c-listers... and Subscription fans freaking out because they never heard of XXXXXX character.

Considering we got the filmation Adora, She-ra, and Bow... and got the mustache MAA... I'm ALMOST to the point, I don't care if we get Filmation or not... People already complain that She-ra and Adora are too... 'plain' looking and don't fit in with the other characters... It'd be the same with any other Filmations that come out...

I still think Shadow Weaver is the only one I'd really want... Well... Sea Hawk.. Pirates are fun

I'm optimistic as many of you , filmation characters must be part of MOTUC which is the definitive motu collection for me...its just a matter of time , fingers crossed
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    And based on the look of the Shadow Beast, I'm under the belief they have the license already.
    yeah, was the shadow beast in the mini comics or something, because that looks EXACTLY like the filmation creature? I've never heard it said.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    yeah, was the shadow beast in the mini comics or something, because that looks EXACTLY like the filmation creature? I've never heard it said.
    Yes, and with the exception of the body, the mini comic shadow beast looked nothing like the toy we're getting.

Yes, and with the exception of the body, the mini comic shadow beast looked nothing like the toy we're getting.
    The Shadow Beast wasn't in any of the classic minicomics. They first appeared in 'Teela's Quest'.

I wonder about the rights issue as well- it's possible that, if Mattel have access to characters who appeared in Filmation (Count Marzo, Granamyr and of course Shadow Beast) but also appeared in another medium, for which they do have the rights (minicomics, MYP), then they have the rights to produce it in whatever look they want. That's surely the only legal 'loophole' because the Shadow Beast likeness to ita Filmation counterpart is way too obvious.

A, B, C lists are often so debatable. In terms of her requests and popularity, I'd put Shadow Weaver in the A category. In terms of their importance to the mythos, given that they know Adora's secret (and therefore Adam's- which makes them even more important), I'd list Light Hope and Madame Razz in this category too. Scorpia and Sea Hawk are B-List if the She-Ra series is contained but obviously not as important in the greater scheme of things (although Sea Hawk was Adora's boyfriend, so...).

I really don't see characters like Fang Man or Strongarm as being important to the series. I've never liked their designs and their purpose was minimal.

So, for me, Filmation characters are most important when we're talking about She-Ra characters. Given that Mattel have acknowledged the Horde's presence on Etheria against She-Ra and the Rebels, I'm expecting there to be *something* Filmation-related in the next couple of years. The cartoon was too influential for Mattel to ignore.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

The annoying thing is the news/rumour that if the MYP cartoon had continued, the next Filmation character they'd have got the rights to was Shokoti, which would mean she's on the table for a figure now!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I guess I've gotten kind of cynical about all this. I mean we Filmation fans are really getting hit by a double standard. The toys are selling well, so there's no incentive to grab up the Filmation rights now. If the toys stop selling well, then the interest isn't going to be there to buy the rights either and instead Mattel will either cancel all MOTU or just MOTUC and start a new line with a new style.

The heck of this is that with exceptions like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Shokoti, Masque, Lizard Man et al, a lot of the Filmation characters wouldn't be so hot in Classics. I'd be pretty bummed to get a Zanthor and Kor as they looked before because they'd just just be straight repaints of each other (and kind of bland costumes apart from the head and collar). And I assume one certain red-head in a blue dress will need to come out with the name Celice/Mira/Nami, maybe with green skin for a variant to become Nami. It's stuff like that that makes me wish more Filmation characters had gone through a 200X refit before being brought to Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I considered myself a MAJOR Filmation fan... Used to watch it ALL the time... I was only allowed 1 hour of cartoons a day, and HE-MAN was IT!!! That said, Shadow weaver, Madam Razz & Broom, Scorpia and Sea Hawk are the only names I recognize on that list. Ohh... Light hope of course, but not really a 'figure'
    While Shokoti's name is misspelled, most of those are pretty big names for most "major" fans of filmation not to recognize. I think maybe you've fallen behind in your DVD watching, good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    The annoying thing is the news/rumour that if the MYP cartoon had continued, the next Filmation character they'd have got the rights to was Shokoti, which would mean she's on the table for a figure now!
    Where'd this come from? You mean she "would have been" on the table, right? And why wasn't it Shadow Weaver and Scorpia that almost made it?!

I have to wonder if they don't already have the rights. The shadow beast definitely looks like the one in the FILMation cartoon. I think they are just trying to hold out on telling us waiting for some big event.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind View Post
    I have to wonder if they don't already have the rights. The shadow beast definitely looks like the one in the FILMation cartoon. I think they are just trying to hold out on telling us waiting for some big event.
    I think they already do.

You don't announce your full hand all at once, and I think upper management is making sure it isn't yet announced; they want a good reason to announce it.

"because fans want it" doesn't quite fall under that category....

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I wonder about the rights issue as well- it's possible that, if Mattel have access to characters who appeared in Filmation (Count Marzo, Granamyr and of course Shadow Beast) but also appeared in another medium, for which they do have the rights (minicomics, MYP), then they have the rights to produce it in whatever look they want. That's surely the only legal 'loophole' because the Shadow Beast likeness to ita Filmation counterpart is way too obvious.
    If that was the case we could get a Filmation Evil Seed, and we've been told that's not the case.

I sort of surprised that with all of the rumor mongering on this board that more hasn't been made about explaining the Shadow Beasts' obvious filmation look.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Scorpia and Sea Hawk are B-List
    Shame on you!!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Elder Councilman
    If that was the case we could get a Filmation Evil Seed, and we've been told that's not the case.

I sort of surprised that with all of the rumor mongering on this board that more hasn't been made about explaining the Shadow Beasts' obvious filmation look.
    I'm not; they don't want to make it that obvious so soon.

C'mon, no one would even think twice about the Shadow Beasts. Marzo and Evilseed are a completely different beast right there...

I'm not; they don't want to make it that obvious so soon.

C'mon, no one would even think twice about the Shadow Beasts. Marzo and Evilseed are a completely different beast right there...
    Well, IF we get an Evil seed, and he's completely 200X (which I feel, and I know many disagree with me, was a very mediocre design), and then we find out we had Filmation rights all along, I'm going to be more than a touch disappointed.

Elder Councilman
    Well, IF we get an Evil seed, and he's completely 200X (which I feel, and I know many disagree with me, was a very mediocre design), and then we find out we had Filmation rights all along, I'm going to be more than a touch disappointed.
    Guess what? I prefer his Filmation look too

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    And I'm with you on the Dana figure! Mattel HAS to give us one sooner or later, after all, they gave us Walter Peck for goodness sakes!!
    I'm sure they'll get to Dana, but probably not before 2012.

Toyguru said they spent most of the 2011 Ghostbusters budget on Louis Tully, who is an all-new sculpt.

it would be cool to get a figure of Garn, the guy He-Man wrestles with in "A Tale of Two Cities". I always liked that episode. It had a very cool "gladiator" like theme.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I sure hope so!! My MOTUC's collection will not be complete without a solid showing of Filmation characters. It would make financial sense for Mattel to shell out for the rights in a year or so, if they have not already to inject new life into the MOTUC's line.

Quote Originally Posted by victoryleo19 View Post
    it would be cool to get a figure of Garn, the guy He-Man wrestles with in "A Tale of Two Cities". I always liked that episode. It had a very cool "gladiator" like theme.
    I thought Garn was available for MOTUC because he was a MOTU mini-comic character.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Garn has two different looks, one from Filmation and one in the mini comic "Slave City," which is available to MOTUC right now.

I don't think they have the Filmation rights already because they've said they don't. What reason do they have to lie about it? They've shown no shyness about just refusing to give us answers they don't want us to have, so why wouldn't they just not comment rather than lie?

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    When I heard they'd have to buy the entire catalogue of Filmation characters my expectations sank because there's a number of things I think Mattel wouldn't do anything with in that library. On the other hand, this last decade does to seem to have been the decade to revive retro stuff whatever it is. Obviously there's numerous star that would have to align. I hold out hope that it'll eventually happen.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    ...bosses don't seem to want to "waste" their money by gaining the rights to 30 year old toons in order to populate a toyline that they aren't very enthusiastic about to begin with...
    How can they be that way? A toy line that revives the single best selling toy line of all time and still sells out in a limited online sales model? They should be enthusiastic as h*ll! My 9 year old son is really starting to get on board with MOTU now too. If they were to do a cartoon or something, I think it would take off all over again with kids. Imagine. A cartoon with morals and a plot that kids can follow? That is what we need these days instead of nonsense bakugan pokemon useless anime!

Ok - soap box now put away

If they were to even get the rights to SOME of the Filmation characters, I think it would be a big hit. I have always wanted a Lizard Man, Strong Arm, and Filmation Clawful....Batros would rock too!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Garn has two different looks, one from Filmation and one in the mini comic "Slave City," which is available to MOTUC right now.
    True. However I don't see them being so different. More as two different interpretations of the same character, one being an animated version. Just like how Filmation He-Man looks slightly different to toy He-Man looks different to 200x He-Man. Same character, slightly different costume.

Whether we got mini-comic appearance Garn or toon Garn I wouldn't care, I'd just be happy to have the figure.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199