Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 131

Thread: Still hope for FILMation characters?

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    True. However I don't see them being so different. More as two different interpretations of the same character, one being an animated version. Just like how Filmation He-Man looks slightly different to toy He-Man looks different to 200x He-Man. Same character, slightly different costume.
    I think they're visually much more different than toy vs cartoon He-Man.

  2. #52
    Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    8,341
    I guess I have problems understanding why Mattel wouldn't want to own the rights (entirely) to what are essentially their characters. Someone, like say Dree-Elle, is a MOTU character that Mattel cannot make...which seems a little bizarre when you think about it.

    So I assume the catalog of Filmation characters is prohibitively expensive - otherwise, why not just buy the whole thing back and control your own property?

    All that said, I will continue to hold out hope that we at least get a few Filmation characters in the line - although most of the characters I'd most want would be POP ones (Shadow Weaver, Madame Razz, Scorpia and Sea Hawk in particular.) Certainly wouldn't turn down Lizard Man, Icer, Shokoti, etc. though.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

  3. #53
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,299
    Does Mattel have access to the STAR Comics? Anybody know?
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

  4. #54
    waiting for Geldor Toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Valley of Osgoor
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think they're visually much more different than toy vs cartoon He-Man.
    To be fair, I would love a mohawk sporting, face painted dressed Garn over the Filmaton version!

    As regards the Shokoti thing I'm sure I read it on one of these threads, can't remember which one though, which is why I put news/rumour!
    Tweet Me!

    I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,837
    As a foolish mortal, I'd like to one day say "hello" to Molkrum as one of the "beasts".
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  6. #56
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I guess I have problems understanding why Mattel wouldn't want to own the rights (entirely) to what are essentially their characters. Someone, like say Dree-Elle, is a MOTU character that Mattel cannot make...which seems a little bizarre when you think about it.

    So I assume the catalog of Filmation characters is prohibitively expensive - otherwise, why not just buy the whole thing back and control your own property?
    I imagine that it is primarily a cost thing too.

    If they have to buy the whole filmation catalogue, there's a lot of stuff in there that they simply might not have any use for. Presumably they could sell off those other brands and cartoons separately, but maybe the money they expect to make from them isn't that great compared to the costs of buying the whole catalogue.

    The value in the catalogue, from their perpsective, I think only stems from the MOTU/PoP characters within it. The problem that I think a lot of fans don't always pick up on is that they are also characters that primarily only appeal to a niche market. I for one rather like Batros, but there's no reason to think that he'd be much more popular than some other bat based figure that they could dream up for MOTU. My guess is that there are not enough people who are big motu fans to make buying the whole catalogue worthwhile, particularly not when the line itself is a niche line. For a widescale launch that could very well differ, but even then I'd wonder whether it'd simply be better for them to create new characters to take the thematic spots of some of the characters in the Filmation library, as it wouldn't matter much to the wider audience if the character is brand new or a somewhat obscure character that they never knew existed due to not being pre-existing MOTU fans. Obviously I cannot answer what would be best for them (maybe they will determine that buying the catalogue would be a great investment), but I presume that those are some of the questions that they'd be considering when making their decisions.

  7. #57
    Gimme Granita! Scorpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,451
    My worry about the Filmation catalogue from a business perspective would be that it'd create a wealth of work for Mattel. As Darth Latveria says, assuming Classic Media would only sell the entire Filmation catalogue, they could sell off the rest. But this takes man-power and for a small faction of Mattel in MattyCollector, this isn't the best business model.

    First thing's first - Classic Media have to want to sell.

    I think there are enormous possibilities in them buying the rights to Filmation's He-Man and She-Ra, but they'd need to be thinking more long-term and would benefit from 'the powers that be' having greater faith in the franchise. As this is the 'Classics' line and it currently doesn't have any supporting media, with the right kind of marketing, showing the Filmation show again on an accessible station like Boomerang and with an online presence could bring lots of new interest to MOTUC. The nostalgia-factor is so powerful these days and people have fond memories of the original shows.

    There are people who vehemently dislike the Filmation series, but I'd always encourage them to look past the cutesy, shmaltzy episodes (and watch some of the 'classics'!) and look at the characters and their designs, most of which would fit pretty well with what we've already seen in MOTUC. The Four Horsemen are incredible and, I believe, could make just about any character fit in with the line.

    I continue to cross my fingers that something will emerge soon. Filmation is one of the last remaining corners of MOTU that doesn't have an active representation in MOTUC. The facts that Classic Media and Mattel have announced a partnership in Voltron and released joint press releases for She-Ra's 25th anniversary are good signs - I just hope a partnership between the pair is possible if an outright purchase isn't.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior LostIt2Bostik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    438
    There better be hope for FILMATION characters. I want Shadow Weaver, Lizard Man, and Scorpia more than I'd ever want a Vikor. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by demonicfirefly View Post
    I could care less about filmation myself. Theres plenty to do with vintage, pop, na and 200x.
    yeah, there are plenty of characters that can & should be made.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

  10. #60
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Masters
    Strongarm
    Icer
    Fangman

    Lizardman
    Kol-Darr
    Garth


    Enchantress
    Dark Dream

    POP
    Madame Razz & Broom
    Seahawk
    Granita
    Facet

    Shadow Weaver
    Scropia
    Octavia
    False Face
    Vultak

    Heman
    Master Sebian
    Drissi
    Crita
    Andros

    Comics
    Damon
    Horde Prime(uk)
    Strobo
    Goatman

  11. #61
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,299
    The Filmation rights are so tied up with copyrighted ownership and international laws that it would take way too many expensive lawyers on both sides to come up with some kind of agreement for the characters.

    You're talking about just spending a few million bucks just on negotiations alone. Also, Mattel is not going to pay out licensensing fees and royalties for characters they should have owned in the first place. But the current Filmation owners are not going to just give them the license to produce figures.

    You're better off just waiting for a new cartoon and hoping they do those characters in a new style like what they did with Count Marzo.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

  12. #62
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    I wonder if the "fact" that the 2 Filmation MOTU related toons were more successful than the later 2 toons made by other companies makes Mattel more likely to get Filmation's rights eventually or if it has little to no impact at all. I have a feeling if they knew that the MYP toon was going to be cut short so soon, they might have tried to tie up the Filmation rights 10 years ago. They might not have bothered at the time if they thought the MYP show was going to replace the old canon in all fans' minds.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  13. #63
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,025
    I'll always have some hope for Mattel to obtain the rights to Filmation MOTU and POP. I'm just not holding my breath anymore. There are a lot of great things to come from those Filmation series' for Mattel. The iconic music, the awesome scenery and backgrounds, the timeless stories, and the use of tons of great characters for the mythos. The bios would have been 100 times better if they had Filmation rights from the beginning as well. They could capitalize on all of that and inject it into MOTUC and it could live for many years longer than it would without the Filmation rights. Not only that but the vast majority of MOTU fans are Filmation fans it seems like. We all grew up with it and everyone remembers watching it back in the day including the super casual people who aren't on the .org everyday like us.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  14. #64
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I'll always have some hope for Mattel to obtain the rights to Filmation MOTU and POP. I'm just not holding my breath anymore. There are a lot of great things to come from those Filmation series' for Mattel. The iconic music, the awesome scenery and backgrounds, the timeless stories, and the use of tons of great characters for the mythos. The bios would have been 100 times better if they had Filmation rights from the beginning as well. They could capitalize on all of that and inject it into MOTUC and it could live for many years longer than it would without the Filmation rights. Not only that but the vast majority of MOTU fans are Filmation fans it seems like. We all grew up with it and everyone remembers watching it back in the day including the super casual people who aren't on the .org everyday like us.
    Exactamundo Count Marzo! I'll always hold out some hope that Mattel will wise up and buy the rights. It kinda sucks that they'd have to buy the rights to the entire Filmation library, but hey hey hey, Fat Albert toys would rock too. They could use He-Man and She-Ra characters for MOTUC and do a whole separate collector line of toys based entirely on Filmation shows.

    ~Penny~

  15. #65
    Gimme Granita! Scorpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Shame on you!!
    Haha, sorry Judeh! You know if I had my way, Sea Hawk and Scorpia (along with Octavia and most of the POP cast) would become AAA+++ list characters - sadly, we have a way to go with achieving that goal...

    ...let's focus on the Filmation rights first!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior mykan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    379

    People, Let go of Filmation

    With Toy Guru mentioning that:

    "All 200+ bios were written at the same time and while fans may be frustrated that not all the info is out there, this is intentional and in time the full picture and a greater appreciation for the work that went into this huge undertaking may come to the surface!

    It is fairly clear that the inclusion of Filmation characters in this massive tale is off the table for the foreseeable future. Mattel has had to fashion a tale with the use of characters/figures that were created to sell on toy shelves. I'm interested to see what this new story has to offer. I am pleased to see the disparate toy lines unified under one banner - in design, sculpt, packaging, marketing and story (I have always thought that all the lines - MOTU, POP, NA and 200X "failed" or lacked longevity because of the attempt to break the lines away from one another; only together can they succeed).

    I understand that fan demand will fuel Mattel to pursue the Filmation rights. I also understand the logistics and complications that come with such a pursuit. I myself can't wait to have the opportunity to purchase Shadow Weaver, Hunga, Octavia and Scorpia figures. But it's likely to not occur in the present form of the MOTUC line.

    I suspect that once a blockbuster live action film is released, Mattel will be better poised to release a movie line and a revamped version of MOTUC to retail, along with a corresponding cartoon series (whether direct to video or on TV). Most likely then, we will see the Filmation characters, and a revised rendition of the story that is being woven now.

    This is my view, what's your spin on it all?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

    Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    With Toy Guru mentioning that:

    "All 200+ bios were written at the same time and while fans may be frustrated that not all the info is out there, this is intentional and in time the full picture and a greater appreciation for the work that went into this huge undertaking may come to the surface!

    It is fairly clear that the inclusion of Filmation characters in this massive tale is off the table for the foreseeable future. Mattel has had to fashion a tale with the use of characters/figures that were created to sell on toy shelves. I'm interested to see what this new story has to offer. I am pleased to see the disparate toy lines unified under one banner - in design, sculpt, packaging, marketing and story (I have always thought that all the lines - MOTU, POP, NA and 200X "failed" or lacked longevity because of the attempt to break the lines away from one another; only together can they succeed).

    I understand that fan demand will fuel Mattel to pursue the Filmation rights. I also understand the logistics and complications that come with such a pursuit. I myself can't wait to have the opportunity to purchase Shadow Weaver, Hunga, Octavia and Scorpia figures. But it's likely to not occur in the present form of the MOTUC line.

    I suspect that once a blockbuster live action film is released, Mattel will be better poised to release a movie line and a revamped version of MOTUC to retail, along with a corresponding cartoon series (whether direct to video or on TV). Most likely then, we will see the Filmation characters, and a revised rendition of the story that is being woven now.

    This is my view, what's your spin on it all?
    they can always write them in later.

  18. #68
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    With Toy Guru mentioning that:

    "All 200+ bios were written at the same time and while fans may be frustrated that not all the info is out there, this is intentional and in time the full picture and a greater appreciation for the work that went into this huge undertaking may come to the surface!”

    It is fairly clear that the inclusion of Filmation characters in this massive tale is off the table for the foreseeable future. Mattel has had to fashion a tale with the use of characters/figures that were created to sell on toy shelves. I'm interested to see what this new story has to offer. I am pleased to see the disparate toy lines unified under one banner - in design, sculpt, packaging, marketing and story (I have always thought that all the lines - MOTU, POP, NA and 200X "failed" or lacked longevity because of the attempt to break the lines away from one another; only together can they succeed).

    I understand that fan demand will fuel Mattel to pursue the Filmation rights. I also understand the logistics and complications that come with such a pursuit. I myself can't wait to have the opportunity to purchase Shadow Weaver, Hunga, Octavia and Scorpia figures. But it's likely to not occur in the present form of the MOTUC line.

    I suspect that once a blockbuster live action film is released, Mattel will be better poised to release a movie line and a revamped version of MOTUC to retail, along with a corresponding cartoon series (whether direct to video or on TV). Most likely then, we will see the Filmation characters, and a revised rendition of the story that is being woven now.

    This is my view, what's your spin on it all?
    You talk of one design & sculpt under one banner. Aren't the multiple heads breaking away from that? Sure, we're not getting 2002 heads anytime soon but we're still getting multiple heads. If Stinkor comes with 2 heads(ToyGuru has practically told us he is), unless one of them is just a smiling head, wouldn't that be 2 designs under one banner?

    You also mention how the previous lines failed due to their attempting to break away from each other but, wouldn't leaving Filmation out be doing just that. Also, looking at Adora, Orko, Bow, and the Shadow Beast prove, to me at least, that Mattel would use Filmation designs or characters if they had the rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    they can always write them in later.
    Agreed. It's not like the bios aren't already full of spelling errors, poor grammar, contradictions(at least things that seem like contradictions), and retcons. How hard would it be to squeeze some Filmation characters into the canon that so far has mostly been derived from the mini-comics & MYP's toon? Sure, there may be MOTU fans that dislike Filmation, but, at least on this site, there are far more people who like it(if not love it) than don't. Why would Mattel want to forget about those people unless the rights issue is just too expensive or messy to deal with?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; December 19, 2010 at 12:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  19. #69
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,154
    I feel like they'll only buy the Filmation rights once the line's sales start going down and they feel like they need to inject some new life into it.

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior Bulkhide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vagabond
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I feel like they'll only buy the Filmation rights once the line's sales start going down and they feel like they need to inject some new life into it.
    Yep. This is my thought.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

  21. #71
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I feel like they'll only buy the Filmation rights once the line's sales start going down and they feel like they need to inject some new life into it.
    Or the holder of the rights is asking for so much money(they are also, from what I hear, only willing to make a deal for all Filmation rights & not just MOTU/POP) that, if this line starts failing, it cements the fact that we'll never see Filmation in toy form. The way Mattel acts towards the 2002 era, I feel a line's failure is a catalyst for Mattel to close up shop on that particular property and not to become more proactive with it. I hope I'm wrong though.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  22. #72
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Exactamundo Count Marzo! I'll always hold out some hope that Mattel will wise up and buy the rights. It kinda sucks that they'd have to buy the rights to the entire Filmation library, but hey hey hey, Fat Albert toys would rock too. They could use He-Man and She-Ra characters for MOTUC and do a whole separate collector line of toys based entirely on Filmation shows.

    ~Penny~
    Fo sho!

    Mattel, I'd buy a set of Fat Albert figures if it means anything! Especially if they are done in that cool "urban vinyl" style! HEYYY HEYYY HEYYY! I've been watching Fat Albert here and there on Netflix Instant Watch and it's still entertaining to me. They have almost as many anti-drug episodes as MOTU. They were raw about it back then too, no black flower metaphors...just straight up pills and kilo packages.

    If Fat Albert characters are cool enough to make it on a clothing line, they are good enough for a toyline and you'd be reaching out to a whole new generation/fan base!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  23. #73
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Fo sho!

    Mattel, I'd buy a set of Fat Albert figures if it means anything! Especially if they are done in that cool "urban vinyl" style! HEYYY HEYYY HEYYY! I've been watching Fat Albert here and there on Netflix Instant Watch and it's still entertaining to me. They have almost as many anti-drug episodes as MOTU. They were raw about it back then too, no black flower metaphors...just straight up pills and kilo packages.

    If Fat Albert characters are cool enough to make it on a clothing line, they are good enough for a toyline and you'd be reaching out to a whole new generation/fan base!
    I love Fat Albert too! Unfortunately, it's almost impossible for me to watch a cartoon that's teaching kids right from wrong when its creator(who not only did a lot of the voices but one of the characters on the show was a younger version of him) has had so many problems(either admitting to or being accused of) involving acts that aren't exactly family friendly.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  24. #74
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I love Fat Albert too! Unfortunately, it's almost impossible for me to watch a cartoon that's teaching kids right from wrong when its creator(who not only did a lot of the voices but one of the characters on the show was a younger version of him) has had so many problems(either admitting to or being accused of) involving acts that aren't exactly family friendly.
    That's not so bad. The intentions are still there and good and that's all that matters imo. Besides, what's so bad about Pudding Pops?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  25. #75
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Besides, what's so bad about Pudding Pops?
    It's all in where you put them.

    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •