View Poll Results: Do all the Vintage vs 200X posts annoy you?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 63.41%
  • No

22 26.83%
  • I enjoy watching the pointless sniping!

8 9.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage vs 200X -Does it annoy you?

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar

Vintage vs 200X -Does it annoy you?

Ok, Theres a LOT of debate in the forums about Vintage Vs 200X (and NA,POP) So much so its amazing that people are arguing over what is fundamentally the same range of collectables.

Im curious to know if Im the only member who skips over any 'vs' argument post. and looks for something productive written about the fantastic Figures that the 4H are giving us, figures which -as webstor illustrates- meld all the past incarnations together into what I feel is the ultimate represention of the MOTUC Characters.

I personally have all the vintage figures AND all the 200X figures and I love them all but Now as an adult collector I want something new and fresh, which is what the 4H are giving us, and yet it seems theres a lot of 'Biting the hand that feeds' goin on.

Regards AJ
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

It annoys me a lot.. I can understand that people would like to see their favorite era represented in this line but some are just too purist and too agressive.

It seems that people just think about themselves and they can't be happy for other people when they get something they want. Like the 200x sword for example. Some people seemed really angry about that "waist".

The moment that people will understand that this line isn't a 100% convertion of the 80's nore the 200x line will be the moment that people will come together on this a lot more I think.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    It annoys me a lot.. I can understand that people would like to see their favorite era represented in this line but some are just too purist and too agressive.

It seems that people just think about themselves and they can't be happy for other people when they get something they want. Like the 200x sword for example. Some people seemed really angry about that "waist".

The moment that people will understand that this line isn't a 100% convertion of the 80's nore the 200x line will be the moment that people will come together on this a lot more I think.
    You said it better than me. This is totally my exact thoughts, 100%.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

I think there is no need for the 3rd option, and if you read our group you will see that only in the forum and a minor number of members are radical fans, we can have opinion and state it between us, Is Mohamed Ali the best? A question like this can start a lot of discussion that will not take anywhere but is some of the most discussed opinions ever...

But I understand your view, just keep jumping and skipping...

And now with Toyguru putting an end to it you will see less or none about it.
    Now we can get back to boring talk were everyone agree and clap hands to everything that Mattel trow at them...

I really don't like some attitudes from both sides that are angry or aggressive, but I like to see this kind of love for their preferred line in MOTU.
    Last edited by Ulisses31; July 10, 2009 at 09:56am.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

While it is a little annoying, it is inevitable. It is going to happen with any IP whenever their is an updated version... I guess that I don't get the hate at the 200x version(s) as much as some people have for it as I thought that, while different, it paid some great homage to the Filmation origins...

Again, it depends on what the scenario is.

For instance, if we only got POP and NA figures from Summer 2008 until now, I seriously think a huge chunk of this board would be in hysterics and we would see a rise in Xanax prescriptions. Should those folks keep silent and just be happy with whatever's given to them?

Generally, it's the folks who have got at least a couple of their major 'wants' in this line that feel like you do.

Also, I don't think the discussions we've been having on the topic are non-productive / pointless. On the contrary.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71 View Post
    Ok, Theres a LOT of debate in the forums about Vintage Vs 200X (and NA,POP) So much so its amazing that people are arguing over what is fundamentally the same range of collectables.

Im curious to know if Im the only member who skips over any 'vs' argument post. and looks for something productive written about the fantastic Figures that the 4H are giving us, figures which -as webstor illustrates- meld all the past incarnations together into what I feel is the ultimate represention of the MOTUC Characters.

I personally have all the vintage figures AND all the 200X figures and I love them all but Now as an adult collector I want something new and fresh, which is what the 4H are giving us, and yet it seems theres a lot of 'Biting the hand that feeds' goin on.

Regards AJ
    It's not just 200X. EVERY era fights with each other. I think the only era that never really beefs with anyone is NA.

I think it's hard to skip over any arguing unless you're a 80's MOTU fan. If you're a 80's MOTU fan, you're getting the figures that you want, NO QUESTION. But some fans see the other eras as competition and that they take valuable slot space, preventing a long awaited character from coming out.

Even POP and NA are questioned in MOTUC, and those characters WERE in the 80's. He-Ro too, although he never made it to figure form. Legitimate 80's characters.

Yes, it's annoying. I like every incarnation of MOTU and this is usually the only thing that worries me about the success of MOTUC--not the Matty website issues, not the shipping issues, not the quick sell outs, or anything like that. Just the few of us who won't accept anything but their narrow interests.

Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Just the few of us who won't accept anything but their narrow interests.
    For me, obviously I like POP the best, but that's not gonna stop me from buying all the other stuff too. No worries there.

With the 200X discussions especially, I think what bugs me the most is that some of the fans seem really unappreciative and don't have a sense of --how shall I put this?-- fairness to their personalities.

The 200X line ended pretty recently in comparison and there have been soooo many 200X influences in MOTUC already. Some fans don't seem satisfied at all. It's like they got nothing...LOL I would totally be over-the-moon if we POP fans got even a third of the characters they've gotten.

I dunno. As big of a POP fan as I am, if I started noticing that Mattel was seriously neglecting MOTU characters in favor of POP, my sense of fairness would kick in and I'd be like: "You know what? I think it's time to do some MOTU stuff."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For me, obviously I like POP the best, but that's not gonna stop me from buying all the other stuff too. No worries there.

With the 200X discussions especially, I think what bugs me the most is that some of the fans seem really unappreciative and don't have a sense of --how shall I put this?-- fairness to their personalities.

The 200X line ended pretty recently in comparison and there have been soooo many 200X influences in MOTUC already. Some fans don't seem satisfied at all. It's like they got nothing...LOL I would totally be over-the-moon if we POP fans got even a third of the characters they've gotten.

I dunno. As big of a POP fan as I am, if I started noticing that Mattel was seriously neglecting MOTU characters in favor of POP, my sense of fairness would kick in and I'd be like: "You know what? I think it's time to do some MOTU stuff."
    Tallstar I usually always agree with you, cause you're a very sensible poster, but I honestly don't know of anyone who wanted the 200X style to shanghai the MOTUC line. I certainly would NEVER want that. EVER. Because the MOTUC line is the best line in MOTU history (to me).

But I completely agree on the fairness of the line like you just said. If we as a fandom start to get an overflow of NA or 200X or POP figures next year, I would say "Woah...where's the regular MOTU? Those fans need their figures too." (Cause I'm one of those fans as well)

Personally, MOTUC Hordak, Mer-Man, and Webstor define EXACTLY what I want out of MOTUC. New MOTUC Style based on Vintage looks with elements of 200X put in there. Does that mean I didn't want a more 200X He-Man or Skeletor or Clawful? No, I did. But only as a bonus figure during the year. Never a monthly slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    And now with Toyguru putting an end to it you will see less or none about it.
    Did I miss anything???

anyways, i don't really get the 200x hating either. To me most aren't that different From their 80's counterparts...
    Last edited by Neo; July 10, 2009 at 02:36pm.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I love vintate...filmation, POP, NA, 200X and Motuc and anything else I left out. It's all MOTU to me so you can't go wrong. I never thought there would be so many people divided on the issue.

Why try to think everything is sperate when it really a stems and builds from all the other versions of MOTU to date.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I love vintate...filmation, POP, NA, 200X and Motuc and anything else I left out. It's all MOTU to me so you can't go wrong. I never thought there would be so many people divided on the issue.

Why try to think everything is sperate when it really a stems and builds from all the other versions of MOTU to date.
    If anything, MOTUC has increased the rifts between fans of certain eras, instead of unifying them. Especially when it comes to getting that all important slot in the line. Because if it's their favorite character in MOTU at stake, you'll see fans fighting with fans to get their character made unless it's someone universally liked by all.

I'm glad Matty relesed that latest announcement. It clarify many issues and we won't get these debates anymore (at least not in every thread).

For me I just love MOTUC and what they are doing with it. And no, I didn't like those debates.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    In the Transformers fandom, there's also a "vintage vs modern" schism in the fandom. The original toys (AKA G1) get far too much love compared to everything that came after. Worse, only the G1 toys released in 84 and 85 get the love.

If that ideology was taken to this fandom, the fandom would only enjoy the 82 and 83 toys, because that's what came first. They'd want only the 82 and 83 toys (skip everything that comes after a point they don't like of course!) and nothing else. Not even remolds like the MotUC toyline. Rio Blast? Ignored. Blade? Forgotten. Etc.

It splits the fandom and tears apart, what is at heart, a small community of people that love THE SAME THING. Sure, everyone has favorites. One person might like Mek-a-Nek and think Extendar is a cheap KO, or whatever, but at heart, all of us here love MotU.

And it should stay that way. And any sort of schism, differentiation, generational fighting, etc should be avoided.
    My buy/sell/trade/wanted/feedback info can be found here:
    http://www.transfotaku.com/wiki/inde...ell/Trade_Info

The sniping doesn't really bother me, but that's because I treat it like discussions about Politics or Religion... I just stay away, and stay out of it.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love any MOTU era.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If anything, MOTUC has increased the rifts between fans of certain eras, instead of unifying them. Especially when it comes to getting that all important slot in the line. Because if it's their favorite character in MOTU at stake, you'll see fans fighting with fans to get their character made unless it's someone universally liked by all.
    MGM, stop making me think you are right...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifaslover View Post
    In the Transformers fandom, there's also a "vintage vs modern" schism in the fandom. The original toys (AKA G1) get far too much love compared to everything that came after. Worse, only the G1 toys released in 84 and 85 get the love.

If that ideology was taken to this fandom, the fandom would only enjoy the 82 and 83 toys, because that's what came first. They'd want only the 82 and 83 toys (skip everything that comes after a point they don't like of course!) and nothing else. Not even remolds like the MotUC toyline. Rio Blast? Ignored. Blade? Forgotten. Etc.

It splits the fandom and tears apart, what is at heart, a small community of people that love THE SAME THING. Sure, everyone has favorites. One person might like Mek-a-Nek and think Extendar is a cheap KO, or whatever, but at heart, all of us here love MotU.

And it should stay that way. And any sort of schism, differentiation, generational fighting, etc should be avoided.
    Damn right!!
    Last edited by Bulkhide; July 11, 2009 at 04:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

From time to time it is a wee bit frustrating, but I don't think it is annoying. For me personally it has made me reflect my thoughts about 200X again and I now have to admit that 200X had good things in it too.

As for me personally it was really hard to admit to myself that I disliked the 200X re-launch. I really, really wanted to like it and be 100% thrilled about it and it took a few years to get to the point where I could really accept the fact that the 200X wasn't my thing. But now I can already see much more positive things in it. There are still some elements I personally very much dislike.

But, 200X happened and the storylines that were played out in it are now a part of MOTU - canons, wether I personally like them or not. I guess it is still just a bit too fresh of a wound to see those ideas I dislike being incorporated into the MOTUC-line. I need to come to terms with them being a part of MOTU permanently.

MOTU is changing and evolving and sometimes accepting that takes time. But for me personally all these "vintage vs 200X" discussions have helped to move along.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    As for me personally it was really hard to admit to myself that I disliked the 200X re-launch. I really, really wanted to like it and be 100% thrilled about it and it took a few years to get to the point where I could really accept the fact that the 200X wasn't my thing. But now I can already see much more positive things in it. There are still some elements I personally very much dislike.

I guess it is still just a bit too fresh of a wound to see those ideas I dislike being incorporated into the MOTUC-line. I need to come to terms with them being a part of MOTU permanently.

MOTU is changing and evolving and sometimes accepting that takes time. But for me personally all these "vintage vs 200X" discussions have helped to move along.
    I think Heidi sums up my feelings regarding the "issue". Honestly, I'd consider myself a MODERATE on the issue. My bottom line is that 200X wasn't a "dream line" for me, but there were some great things about it!

I often think of fictional characters like old friends. MOTU was a huge part of my childhood development, and I have always cared deeply for the characters, seeing them as personalities/entities with a rich storyline. I was a very lonely kid and I valued my action figures like my best friends. Their personalities and stories I came up with for them were just about the only thing with which I entertained myself for four years of my childhood. (Developing storylines and playing with the characters are what led me to the theatre arts, which is a heavy part of my life now.)

When 200X came along, I was really happy to have MOTU back from the dead. The new tv show was exciting and much better in many ways to the Filmation one. However, I just didn't LOVE the figures. I bought them all, but I didn't like their "one pose only" stances and their inability to sit down, etc. Also, while I loved certain updated characters like Prince Adam and Buzz Off, I disliked others (Scottish brogue Stratos, Teela's ridiculous anime hair, an unrecognizable and totally bogus Queen Marlena, to name a few.) I wanted it to be the same, but it never was for me. If they had been able to remake the Filmation version very closely, but with everything else they brought to the table, I would've been bat-s*** crazy about the whole thing! As it were, I just wanted my "old friends" back, as I knew them.

About six weeks ago, I discovered the MOTUC existed, started buying off of ebay, and have been faithfully posting and chatting with new friends about a shared love for this thing ever since. It feels like the characters I have always loved are back again, and better than before, in the EXACT way I wanted them to return!

I love the 200X influences, but enjoy the classic core the 4H are basing the designs on. Some of the 200X posts read like an attempted takeover on the line's style. When asked, the post-ers defined specifically things I would like to see, and it seems I misunderstood their intentions. When the clarification was announced, the reactions have been like 200X fans have gotten "nothing" out of MOTUC, like the line is one thing, and what they want is another. That's why I've been confused about the whole thing.

In short, the post I quoted sums up my feelings. I still like healthy debate since some 200X fans are feeling "cheated", and I still don't understand why. But the debating was appearing on too many threads. Here's a good one, though!

Much love to all you MOTUC nuts out there!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Is Keldor Skeletor

IS Scareglow Skeletor

He-Ro & the Three Towers: sucks vs awesome

Mini comics vs Filmation: Continuity or contradiction?

Zodac is black?

JVS3 vs LFE

look we have always had stupid debates that are pointless. Some people haven't got tired of arguing over the internet...Give them 5-10 more years
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

No. Anytime people get together and are passionate about something...its a good thing. I like reading the back and forths and seeing what different people think about the various "eras."

Whether you are Vintage or 200x...we are all MOTU fans. Isn't that what's really important?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I think Heidi sums up my feelings regarding the "issue". Honestly, I'd consider myself a MODERATE on the issue. My bottom line is that 200X wasn't a "dream line" for me, but there were some great things about it!

I often think of fictional characters like old friends. MOTU was a huge part of my childhood development, and I have always cared deeply for the characters, seeing them as personalities/entities with a rich storyline. I was a very lonely kid and I valued my action figures like my best friends. Their personalities and stories I came up with for them were just about the only thing with which I entertained myself for four years of my childhood. (Developing storylines and playing with the characters are what led me to the theatre arts, which is a heavy part of my life now.)

When 200X came along, I was really happy to have MOTU back from the dead. The new tv show was exciting and much better in many ways to the Filmation one. However, I just didn't LOVE the figures. I bought them all, but I didn't like their "one pose only" stances and their inability to sit down, etc. Also, while I loved certain updated characters like Prince Adam and Buzz Off, I disliked others (Scottish brogue Stratos, Teela's ridiculous anime hair, an unrecognizable and totally bogus Queen Marlena, to name a few.) I wanted it to be the same, but it never was for me. If they had been able to remake the Filmation version very closely, but with everything else they brought to the table, I would've been bat-s*** crazy about the whole thing! As it were, I just wanted my "old friends" back, as I knew them.
    With me, 200X made something that I loved as a kid into something that I'd love as an adult. I might be in the minority, but for me, nostalgia can be improved upon. I think that's where some 200X fans might be coming from.

About six weeks ago, I discovered the MOTUC existed, started buying off of ebay, and have been faithfully posting and chatting with new friends about a shared love for this thing ever since. It feels like the characters I have always loved are back again, and better than before, in the EXACT way I wanted them to return!
    Good for you!

I love the 200X influences, but enjoy the classic core the 4H are basing the designs on. Some of the 200X posts read like an attempted takeover on the line's style. When asked, the post-ers defined specifically things I would like to see, and it seems I misunderstood their intentions. When the clarification was announced, the reactions have been like 200X fans have gotten "nothing" out of MOTUC, like the line is one thing, and what they want is another. That's why I've been confused about the whole thing.

In short, the post I quoted sums up my feelings. I still like healthy debate since some 200X fans are feeling "cheated", and I still don't understand why. But the debating was appearing on too many threads. Here's a good one, though!
    I think it really depends on which 200X fan posts you read, Adam. We're not all alike.

As for being cheated, you're happy with MOTUC, right? Imagine what's here for the 200X fan who loves the articulation on the new figures, but hates the Classic designs that have all of the same loincloths and reused parts. Those fans might as well forget about MOTUC.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I loved both the 80's line and the reboot in 2002. I think that the 4H have really done an outstanding job of keeping the vintage feel, but adding a bit of the 200X flavor in recent figures. I love the bonus Merman head and Hordak's staff! I hope they continue to do this throughout the line!!! I do wish that they would have done this with Zodak by including his staff from the 200X line. That would have been awesome!!

It honestly annoys the s*** out of me. There's nothing more irritating than trying to have a discussion about something that we all love and having idiots argue which "era" is better. Hey, what was better, figures from 84 or 85? Please, chill out. It's ALL Masters of the Universe. They're all good, and we are ALL fans. The argument is totally inane, and we should just all agree that He-Man rocks. Period.

Mahalo,
    -JSD