Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you be interested in a sort of "Art of DVD" sketchbook by me?

Would you be interested in a sort of "Art of DVD" sketchbook by me?

I was playing with the idea of releasing a sort of book/sketchbook with my good friend James Eatock, collecting all the art I've created for various cartoon DVD packagings

It's something I was thinking about for some time, but not sure how many people would actually be interested in purchasing something like that.
    My idea would be to include all the covers I did, (not just MOTU, but also Real Ghostbusters, Transformers and all the Filmation stuff), all the art uncropped, layouts, sketches etc.

My questions would be: would do you buy it?
    And if yes, how much would you spend on this (please, be realistic, even with the cheaper printing, it can't be 10 bucks).
    What else would you like to see inside?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Sure. $25-50 depending on the amount of content.

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Yes, yes, YES!!!

Probably 30 to 40 bucks. The only recent related-type book I can think of is Sesame Street's 40th Anniversay book. I think it was 40 dollars or so, lots of full-color photographs and artwork, along with a TON of info.

Oh man, I hope you're able to do this!
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

And if yes, how much would you spend on this (please, be realistic, even with the cheaper printing, it can't be 10 bucks).
    Roughly US$25-50 is something I would be willing to spend.

I'd hope the page-wise content would be over 30 pages. Even if you have one page a sketch and page next to it description about it.

All information available that went into making the layouts, preliminary sketches and ajdustments (maybe something producers asked for) or if certain pieces had a tight deadline.... That sorta info is something I'd be very, very, very interested.

- What was deemed necessary for the cover (how many characters, classic poses, etc)
    was there a facial expression required like smiling or serious?
    - Sketches that were rejected (and why, if possible to include the information)
    - Rough layouts
    - Pencils
    - Inks?
    - Finished colour + Logo (I understand if this is not possible)

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'd be interested.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    Oh yes, I would love book of your art work. What a great idea.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

I would definetly get a book of all your artwork . If you did release a collection like this could you include the artwork that was printed on the discs themselves and the MOTU spine mural?

Like most people have suggested I would agree between $25-$50 would be what I would be able to spend on such a book

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Just because I got some questions on facebook and the Italian forum:
    I'm talking exclusively about DVD art.
    No MOTU comic book sketches, no NECA packaging illustrations, no Hasbro concept.
    Just the work I did for BCI, TimeLife, and the Italian Transformers DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I would definetly get a book of all your artwork . If you did release a collection like this could you include the artwork that was printed on the discs themselves and the MOTU spine mural?
    The Mural Spine is a no-brainer
    And yes, by uncropped art I mean, IE, all the figures that were printed on the discs, but the full, uncropped illustrations (so, basically you'll see their feet! )

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I love the art on the DVDs I have. It's one of my favorite parts of the BCI releases. I especially enjoy the mug shots on and behind each DVD. I would most likely pick up a book such as this. Not only do I enjoy the art, I also like supporting the endevours of those of us on the org.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I was playing with the idea of releasing a sort of book/sketchbook with my good friend James Eatock, collecting all the art I've created for various cartoon DVD packagings

It's something I was thinking about for some time, but not sure how many people would actually be interested in purchasing something like that.
    My idea would be to include all the covers I did, (not just MOTU, but also Real Ghostbusters, Transformers and all the Filmation stuff), all the art uncropped, layouts, sketches etc.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    I want Filmation Ghostbusters covers and sketches + previously unseen Filmation Ghostbusters stuff you did or will do: I'm ready to purchase that for 20 bucks.
    Go Emiliano go!
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Yeah sure I love this kind of stuff, $25-40 would be a buy for sure
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Yeah i'd love to own something like that. Around $30 would be ideal.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    As interested in this as I am, wouldn't there be possible copyright issues in publishing something like this? Would you need to get permission from the people who own the copyrights to the characters/cartoons the art work is related to?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Even though I think I still have the files for everything you drew for our Filmation titles, I'd happily buy the sketchbook as well.

I think the prices people have been suggesting are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As interested in this as I am, wouldn't there be possible copyright issues in publishing something like this? Would you need to get permission from the people who own the copyrights to the characters/cartoons the art work is related to?
    Depends on the kind of publication we'd do.
    But I will cross this bridge when time comes

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Even though I think I still have the files for everything you drew for our Filmation titles, I'd happily buy the sketchbook as well.
    Hehe, well, if this happens you know I'd ask you for some sort of contribution about the stories behind the covers
    And, I think you'd deserve a free copy anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I think the prices people have been suggesting are very reasonable.
    I agree, and this would be awesome to have!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Do you really have to ask emiliano! I would totally buy this book. I agree with a lot of the content ideaas mentioned. Hopefully you will create a few new peaces of filmation art, a group shot of all the good and bad characters. And maybe a piece with all the power players in the universe. I would hapily pay between $25-30.00, more if you create more unique filmation inspired art that we haven't yet seen in any form.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Why limit yourself to just your DVD-art? ^^

Why not a complete art-book, chronicling ALL of your Motu-work?! The comics, designs, fan-art, DVDs, you name it!

And let's not stop at just MotU, let's include ALL of your other work as well! Your Transformers-stuff in perticular, would be really cool to see ALL layed out, bare for the viewing fans...

Love to see it, man!

PS: Make Shadow the happiest man alive, and include your vision for a revamp of the GObots Leader-1 as the back-cover.

Yeah, definitely!
    As for price... if you can keep it in the $25-$40 range, that would be best, IMO.
    But if the size and content dictate a higher price, I wouldn't rule that out.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Definately! I'd be willing to pay somewhere between $25-$50 for a book like that.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Why limit yourself to just your DVD-art? ^^

Why not a complete art-book, chronicling ALL of your Motu-work?! The comics, designs, fan-art, DVDs, you name it!
    That's the thing: I can't do a MOTU book with my art.
    I should get a license from Mattel for something like that, and you know that isn't going to happen any time soon.

I can probably include some other MOTU related art in other personal sketchbooks, but to keep it consistent I want to do this one exclusively with DVD stuff.
    Later on I may do more, but never a MOTU exclusive one.

30 Dollar is a good price for a "rare" sketchbook Emiliano. It's a 100 MYR book sketch so it's a reasonable price there.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

I would buy one! Love Mr.Eatock's MOTU book.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Hell to the YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee eeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Yep I would buy a copy.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live