Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be interested in a sort of "Art of DVD" sketchbook by me?

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    I would definitely buy an art book for around $40-$50. However, I would like to have mostly finished artwork that is colored. I'm just not a fan of black and white sketches.
    I'm thinking of having most of the art in colors...

I guess I should start off by asking if that awesome illustration of the heroic warriors on the 10 of 16 Art Card (included with the Season Two Volume 1 set) you did - would it be included in this artbook?
    I would probably include both the Heroic Warriors piece and the POP piece, plus some sketches :-)
    I didn't do any Evil Warriors piece unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

It could be a "sketchbook exclusive"!!!

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As interested in this as I am, wouldn't there be possible copyright issues in publishing something like this? Would you need to get permission from the people who own the copyrights to the characters/cartoons the art work is related to?
    As intriguing as a book like this may be, I do not see how it is legally possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Yeah, that would be a cool idea!
    But as swamped as I am, it'll be difficult to just put together the pages

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    As intriguing as a book like this may be, I do not see how it is legally possible.
    I think it's VERY possible!

I've studied numerous laws on copyright and what can and cannot be achieved (I've had to with my He-Man book, cereal:geek, and my upcoming publications in 2011) - It's all in the presentation - I've spoke to Emiliano at great length about this, and (aside from a few things we still need to iron out) I think it will be given a very big green light in the New Year!

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    I think it's VERY possible!

I've studied numerous laws on copyright and what can and cannot be achieved (I've had to with my He-Man book, cereal:geek, and my upcoming publications in 2011) - It's all in the presentation - I've spoke to Emiliano at great length about this, and (aside from a few things we still need to iron out) I think it will be given a very big green light in the New Year!
    Under which statute do you believe this would be permitted?

He does not maintain the right to reproduce, prepare derivatives, or distribute designs and illustrations prepared as contributions to corporate works of authorship; nor does he hold the right to reproduce, prepare derivatives, or distribute the intellectual properties on which they are based.

Furthermore, reproducing the designs and illustrations in question in their entirety as part of a compilation only serves to supersede the objects of the original corporate works of authorship for reasons of personal profit, eliminating any fair use defense to copyright infringement.

Moreover, The Unofficial Cartoon Guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and cereal:geek are fundamentally different from the book being proposed with regard to character and purpose, as well as the nature and substantiality of use of copyrighted materials.

While personal study of matters of copyright is laudable, it should not be a substitute for legal advice.

We appreciate your concern, but please let's not turn this thread in another legal debate, this is not the purpose of my post.
    All the parts involved are well aware of the legalities connected and we will proceed accordingly.
    Any further legal details about mine and James Eatock plans for such or any other publishing project are considered confidential and won't be discussed here, so please restrain from further discussing them here,
    thanks

i'd buy it.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I would most definably buy it Emiliano!
    Around $30 ~ $40 would be a reasonable price imo.

Aside from the book, what I would also really love would be a big wall poster of the Mural Spine. That would be so amazing to put above the figure display.
    Would a poster like that be possible or is it legally a lot different from an artbook?
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    Aside from the book, what I would also really love would be a big wall poster of the Mural Spine. That would be so amazing to put above the figure display.
    Would a poster like that be possible or is it legally a lot different from an artbook?
    Yeah, that would be a stretch unfortunately.

Emiliano:

1- More FGB artwork and you'll get a sure buyer, myself.
    2- 25 dollars, not more!
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Emiliano:

1- More FGB artwork and you'll get a sure buyer, myself.
    2- 25 dollars, not more!

Tiziano, I can't make up Ghostbusters art, what is done is done
    25 dollars would probably work for less than 100 pages, but I think I may need more than that.
    I don't have a page count yet, so I can't make promises on the pages, but I'll see what can be done

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I'm just throwing this out there.

If you did this and sold for X dollars, could you do a "Collectors Edition" which might include personalized autograph + a custom drawing or something???? Only do a few of them and sell for X + Y, with Y being an extra amount to help cover some of the expenses?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Most definitely!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there.

If you did this and sold for X dollars, could you do a "Collectors Edition" which might include personalized autograph + a custom drawing or something???? Only do a few of them and sell for X + Y, with Y being an extra amount to help cover some of the expenses?
    Nice idea, but I think it's too early to think about that.
    If we do it, we most likely do preorders like James does for Cereal Geek, before actually going into production.

I'd totally get one. I say around $30...only because I'm somewhat broke right now, I'd totally pay more for it if I could.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

I would be very interested, but exclusively for MOTU and POP-related art. I haven't watched the other shows...

As for price, I'd say the 15-20 dollar range, depending on what was included and the book's size. You could probably justify 30 bucks for a larger coffee-table book...but again, I'm only keen on He-Man and She-Ra content.

Interesting idea!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I would probably include both the Heroic Warriors piece and the POP piece, plus some sketches :-)
    Awesome! I was going to specifically ask about those two pieces! My favourite work you did on the sets would be:

1) The MOTU and PoP heroic art cards
    2) MOTU spine art
    3) SOTS cover
    4) MOTU Christmas Special cover
    5) Art cards that came with the DVD replacement
    6) 200X MOTU Comicon cover

Also, I would go $20-25 for a book.

Awesome idea.

Yeah, that would be a cool idea!
    But as swamped as I am, it'll be difficult to just put together the pages
    Awww.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I would be very interested, but exclusively for MOTU and POP-related art. I haven't watched the other shows...

As for price, I'd say the 15-20 dollar range, depending on what was included and the book's size. You could probably justify 30 bucks for a larger coffee-table book...but again, I'm only keen on He-Man and She-Ra content.

Interesting idea!
    As I said, I can't do a book about MOTU and POP.
    It' has to be a book about my art, so MOTU and POP can be only a part of it (but still very complete )
    Neither I can do a really big coffee table book.
    I don't know if you're familiar with them, but usually artists prints these sketchbooks and sell them privately or at conventions or just on their blogs.
    They are usually more expensive than real books because of the low printing.

I've seen stuff like about 20 pages photocopied by Adam Huges for $30!
    But while my thing would fall more under this private sketchbook category, I don't plan to do something that small and that pricey though!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Awesome! I was going to specifically ask about those two pieces! My favourite work you did on the sets would be:
    2) MOTU spine art
    3) SOTS cover
    4) MOTU Christmas Special cover
    (
    Check all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

I forget, what Emiliano-produced artcards came with DVD replacements? (I take it meaning the MYP Volume 1 Disc 1)

The King Grayskull, Veena and Oracle piece is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I forget, what Emiliano-produced artcards came with DVD replacements? (I take it meaning the MYP Volume 1 Disc 1)
    I think those were just the MYP promotional pieces, not something by me

Ohhhh yeah! Now I remember!! The early PR images of group shots of Heroic Warriors and Evil Warriors.

....and here I was doubting myself, if I had in my possession some art by you, that I had forgotten. LOL.

Weren't they the 5x6 good guy and bad guy cards?

Just a note on prices for books like this.
    There's no doubt Emiliano would love to have a really low price on it, but whatever he does is limited by the cost of printing.

Most artist art and sketch books of this nature, especially ones sold at con, are produced in very limited numbers. 500 copies, 1000 copies, etc.
    These are limited runs, short runs, etc... whatever you want to call them at the printer.

Printing has what is known as a break point, where when you pass a certain quantity, the production cost per copy drops dramatically.
    That's because a printer has to factor a base cost of printing across X number of units. That base cost includes a base cost for using the press, the cost of labor, the cost of ink and material, the cost of calibration, etc.

Break points are usually high up there. 10,000 units... 20,000 units... or more. It just depends on what is being printed.

You can also do short runs with what is called POD, or Print on Demand.
    This usually employees the use of a copy/printer machine like a DocuColor or something that produces really nice results that aren't actual plate presses.
    But the cost there is often very high as well.
    People usually do POD printing for VERY limited quantities. Like a 100 or 200 copies.

So for something like this, that is sold to a speciality market and that has no big retail reach or distribution, the price points tend to be a bit high.
    That's no fault of the artist, but purely the cost of printing.

It's the same reason why cereal:geek or James Eatock's books aren't cheaper. He'd make them cheaper if he could, but he's limited by the cost of printing and production.

Weren't they the 5x6 good guy and bad guy cards?
    Did some digging and yeah it was these cards!

The MYP cards were then an exclusive at some store such as BestBuy, perhaps? (I also remember some key-chain...)