Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did Mattel sell us previously returned figures?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    demiscy, so you and everyone knows, I did post a copy of this thread on the Mattycollector.com forum, and it was removed in under 5 minutes. I later received an E-mail telling me it had been moved to a customer complaint portion of the site so that the administrators know about it. As far as I'm aware this other forum is not something the public has access to.
    FYI, I found your thread on the Matty site:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...566#1171062566

But, in general people are not likely to "stumble" upon it.

After reading your post here, I logged into the Matty forums, and I actually looked up your screen name, and then looked up your posts, and found the link to the thread.

You'll notice that it's under a "Compliments/Complaints" sub forum that apparenty exists somewhere with the "Member Feedback" forum. However, there seems to be no way to actually navigate directly to the "Compliments/Complaints" forum. When you log into Matty Collector's forums, you can click on "Member Feedback", but there is no option to click on anything to get to "Compliments/Complaints".... at least not that I've found anyway.

But I was able to find your thread by looking up your post history, and once you are there, you can click on the "Compliments/Complaints" forum title at the top of the screen to see other threads posted in that section. I don't think regular members can reply to the threads, but you can view them by using this method.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm fairly certain my Battle Cat was part of the first run. No "Original" starburst, and the tape on the white box was a little yellowed, like it has been when I've purchased older MOTUC figures from resellers like BBTS.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Battle Cat, though. Other than the helmet not being seated right in the package, that is. Since I was going to take him out of the package, I've got no qualms with that.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    AdultCollector - The Matty mods are infamous for combining and moving posts to clear up the boards; they likely moved your post to the Member Feedback forum, where both mods and members can post (I know, as I've done so there).

I'm usually one of the hardest folks on Mattel, but, I'm sorry, this whole conspiracy thing doesn't hold water. There's been double tape on first releases, and it's been documented with photos in the past, so this is nothing new or unusual. And folks need to think things through here: Mattel would have had to save all of those returned figures, held onto them and stored them for months at their own expense, and then either shipped them back overseas to be packaged in the white boxes or had the boxes shipped over here and paid people to stuff the figures in the boxes. It would have been cheaper in the long run to send the figures back to the factories and have them pulped/melted/recycled for materials for the next run.

I'll be the first to admit that Mattel does a lot of things that don't make sense, but this would be a new level of idiocy on their part. It really doesn't hold water when you start looking at what would be involved. The most likely explanation is that QC and packaging care are just as bad now as they were when these figures were first released.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosicrucian View Post
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Battle Cat, though. Other than the helmet not being seated right in the package, that is. Since I was going to take him out of the package, I've got no qualms with that.
    I'm not sure if anything was done differently in the second run, but in the first run, as far as I know, none of the Battle Cat's had the helmet sitting right in the package.

I think it has something to do with how the figure's head is heald down in the package by rubber bands. It prevents the helmet from sitting flush on it.

I had actually placed a bulk order of 10 Battle Cats on his first release. I'm not a "reseller" (meaning that I don't buy these and then sell them for profit). But I'm part of a fan club and was helping out other members who couldn't be online when it went on sale. 3 of the Battle Cats were for me (2 to open, 1 to keep MOC). I had actually looked in several of the white mailer boxes to see if any of them had the helmet on flush to get a decent one to display MOC, and all of them were like this.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    AdultCollector - There's been double tape on first releases, and it's been documented with photos in the past, so this is nothing new or unusual."
    Thank you for the input Scott. I didn't know about there already being an issue with the double tape! Very interesting. You mentioned that it wouldn't make sense for Mattel to store all of those returned figures at their own cost. If these are first run figures, were they not then storing them at their own cost this whole time?

So was there any official word in the lead up to the Black Friday sale from Mattel as to what issue these figures were intended to represent? If Mattel had indeed come out and said we would be getting first run figures, this could potentially be a simple matter of very poor quality control from the past coming back to haunt us. It would still be odd that they would have had quite a while to identify the high number of poor quality figures in their stock, and they decided to ship them out anyway.

Also, thank you for posting the link to my Matty forum thread, good detective work there! Yes it's just sitting there with no one able to find it and unable to reply to it. No Mattel officials have responded to it either.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; December 7, 2010 at 04:03pm.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Thank you for the input Scott. I didn't know about there already being an issue with the double tape! Very interesting. You mentioned that it wouldn't make sense for Mattel to store all of those returned figures at their own cost. If these are first run figures, were they not then storing them at their own cost this whole time?
    As far as I know, the only thing they've kept on hand have been the alotments of each product held back for returns/replacement, which I believe are very small quantities. Honestly, Mattel's growing desire to ditch anything that doesn't sell out in a couple days has lead me to believe that storage/housing costs for the figures are getting to be a factor. I think the more they have to store, the more they have to pay, so holding on to returned stock for future sales seems a costly endeavor (and I truly believe Matty is financially hanging by a thread, as i've stated in previous discussions)

So was there any official word in the lead up to the Black Friday sale from Mattel as to what issue these figures were intended to represent? If Mattel had indeed come out and said we would be getting first run figures, this could potentially be a simple matter of very poor quality control from the past coming back to haunt us. It would still be odd that they would have had quite a while to identify the high number of poor quality figures in their stock, and they decided to ship them out anyway.
    According to Mattel, the big two and the kitty cat were the only new runs; they weren't left-overs like the rest of the stuff. This was a third run for both He-Man and Skeletor. Sadly, Mattel seems to have no problem sending out figures even when they know there's a problem, as they've proven several times. We've also found that, apparently, they don't know what's in the boxes any more than we do when they ship from overseas.

Also, thank you for posting the link to my Matty forum thread, good detective work there! Yes it's just sitting there with no one able to find it and unable to reply to it. No Mattel officials have responded to it either.
    The Matty mods do alot of that; too much so sometimes, perhaps, but I get the feeling they are directed to do so to keep the boards from getting muddled with too many threads on one thing. Problem is, sometimes specific problems that likely should be spotlighted get moved to other related threads and thus get lost. I can see the legitimate reasons for consolidating, though, and I can also see Mattel not minding if the mods inadvertently mix some of the major QC issues into other threads where they aren't as prominent in doing so (which would be inevitable). And responses from Mattel are sometimes slow; there are some things I think never actually get answered. Mattel leaves a lot of that seemingly to the mods, and they can only say what they've been told by Mattel, putting the mods in an unenviable position.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Got my He-Man. The hair sits high. The half-sword was bent quite bad, leaving a stress mark on the handle. The rocker ankles are very loose.

I did notice mold changes. The sword has Đ Mattel Inc 2009 molded into the handle. My Skeletor sword is blank as is one of the 2 yellow swords I got(the one I traded off with a spare Skeletor has CHINA on the handle). The ankles have notches on them, visible when the foot is bent all the way down. This might be making the joints stronger as they seem sturdy.

I posted this on the Matty complaint page

I ordered the Cyber Monday Skeletor and the face paint is horrible. I also noticed that the tape on the white mailer box has been double taped. My suspicion is that maybe these had been opened for some reason. Others have suggested that these are items that were returned due to poor quality and then they were resold. I dont believe that to be the case, but I truly dont know at this point. Also, I ordered 4 Battle Cats and on all 4 of them, the helmet is sitting half off the head. As a MOC collector, I really like to find the best specimen to keep on the card and I am at a loss with this batch as none of them display well in the package. I have read that this is the case for most, if not all, of this run. Can you please tell me what, after over 2 years, is being done to fix this. I understand that you are constantly "improving" your QC, but it really is not reflected on the product that you sell. I have purchased at least 2 of each of the MOTUC figures, barring the first Grayskull, and there have been varying degrees of quality issues, from loose joints to poor/sloppy paint jobs. I understand there is a learning curve for a new line, but I would expect that to be corrected by now. Thank you for your time.

Here is my Cyber Monday Battle Cat.

I got one with the "Original" burst, and with a helmet that is not on his head.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    That's odd, my Battle Cat is perfectly fine in the package from the first run...
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Mine for reference. It's the Cyber Monday head on the TRU body. It's not glued as far up as some posted examples but it still sits higher than the hair on my TRU He-Man head

that hairline doesn't look too bad. Or at least it wouldn't annoy me all that much. As I have yet to hear of anyone say " My skeletor came out pretty good" I've resigned myself to the fact mine will probably look terrible. That's pretty disappointing I must say. I honestly figured that they would have this down by now as it was the 3rd damn time they made him.

and by 3rd I mean of reg Skeletor. I'm not even counting Mo-Larr skeletor or TRU skeletor.
    Last edited by chuck20; December 7, 2010 at 09:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Binx4life View Post
    Here is my Cyber Monday Battle Cat.

I got one with the "Original" burst, and with a helmet that is not on his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I'm not sure if anything was done differently in the second run, but in the first run, as far as I know, none of the Battle Cat's had the helmet sitting right in the package.

I think it has something to do with how the figure's head is heald down in the package by rubber bands. It prevents the helmet from sitting flush on it.
    I got two BCs when they were first released. Both of them had the half on/half off helmet. I was a bit surprised, so I checked the Org and found a handful of other people discussing it. As I remember...
    1) Everybody's was like that
    2) The packaging holds it in place at that angle
    3) 4H wanted a way for MIB collectors to see both the mask and the face sculpt, so they went with half on/half off

BC's helmet looks kinda odd, for sure, but it isn't a QC issue so much as just how they decided to do it. It's even like that in the MIB picture posted on Matty. Still looks odd though

There is another thread on this topic in the MOTUC section of the Matty forum!

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/3051017566

Countdown until it's locked.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Got my He-Man. The hair sits high. The half-sword was bent quite bad, leaving a stress mark on the handle. The rocker ankles are very loose.

I did notice mold changes. The sword has Đ Mattel Inc 2009 molded into the handle. My Skeletor sword is blank as is one of the 2 yellow swords I got(the one I traded off with a spare Skeletor has CHINA on the handle). The ankles have notches on them, visible when the foot is bent all the way down. This might be making the joints stronger as they seem sturdy.
    Can you take a pic of the sword handle. None of my swords (except for the two-tone sord of protection) have anything written on them. (I haven't opened my third run figs yet)

My figs look ok (in their package - I am opening them soon). I would suggest that they are third run figures; when I compare them to my second run figures you can see the difference. He-Man is SUPER tanned this time and Skeletor's paint job is noticably worse than the second release. One of my He-Mans (He-Men???) has wig hair.

Did anyone notice that they removed the "Made In China. Mattel Canada" from the back of Battle Cat's box. And his mailer is glossy this time.

Got my stuff. Battle Cat had The Original burst and doesn't seem to have any problem holding his head up. He-man has the same hair line as my tru 2 pack he-man so I think I'm ok. skeletor's face isn't as good as my tru 2 pack face tho.

Heroic Warrior
    I ended up getting an original run BC from the cyber sale. It's find except for the standard droopy neck. I'm wondering if I should try my luck at an exchange or just call it good.

I got the skeletor reissue on January and he had a red spot on his forehead and didnīt find the green paint job quite good, so i thought about getting another one on cyber monday, but watching all these pictures iīm glad i didnīt. That green paint is terrible, i wonder how did the 4H original paint design looked like.

Heroic Warrior
    I finally got my He-Man, Skeletor, and Battle Cat today, and I'm happy to report that all of mine are in great condition. The paint jobs are excellent on all of them, and He-Man's hair is good (it's a little higher than my 1st issue He-Man and my TRU He-Man, but it's barely noticeable). Other than a very small red dot above Skeletor's lip, the paint job on the face is good. Battle Cat's helmet is partially off, but that's okay. Most of my MotUC are MOC, but I can fix the helmet on BC because he's in a resealable box. I think I've been very fortunate with my MotUC figures. Other than than a small paint chip on my 1st issue He-Man, I have had no QC issues with my figures.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I was too busy thinking about the research paper that was due in a few hours, and I wanted to get them opened up and torn apart for my custom projects. I'll be making a bunch of 200x variant customs. The He-Man head I'll somehow reglue, and I'll most likely be painting over the Skeletor heads. As for the looseness in the ankles, a little superglue will fix that right up.

I'm really glad that these weren't purchased to resell. To think five different people could have purchased them as their one and only MOTUC figure, with their hard earned money, only get to a botched head (or worse yet, a parent buying one for their child at Christmas). I'd like to see someone who gets a chance to ask Mattel some questions touch on the subject of this thread. If Mattel is simply selling off its D-list figures, after they have apparently told people that they destroy the defects, our voices should be heard and this practice should stop. If this is simply a quality control issue, Mattel should be made aware of it. 5 our of 6 heads botched in an order is unacceptable.
    One of my King Grayskull figures had the same raised hairline. Very annoying!

Widget
    The only thing I was able to get were 2 Skeletor figures.

When I opened them today, I noticed that the white mailer boxes had 2 pieces of tape overlaping. Expecting the worse, I was surprised to find both Skellies in great shape!

I recently purchased my first MOTU classics figures from the cyber monday sale and was eagerly awaiting my delivery when I stumbled I upon this website (which is awesome by the way) and this thread in particular. It kind of got me worried. I shelled out 80 bucks for He-Man, Skelator, and Battle Cat and I was concerned about the quality of these figures, especially for the price. When I received my figures I was pleasantly surprised. My figures seem to be pretty decent compared to what some of you have posted. My only complaints have to do with the packaging. My BC's package had a couple of tabs sticking out like someone was in a hurry to put it in and get it boxed. The tabs were easily folded back and tucked in so no harm done I guess. As for the others, both of my white mailer boxes for HM and Skelly are not marked with their names. They say MOTU Classics and all that but they don't have their names on the boxes. Anyone else ever come across this before. I realize these are very minor things but if I had planned to keep these MOC or wanted to get them graded it could have potentially been a problem.

The white boxes with names startedacter He-Man & Skeletor so the "no names" makes sense.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I'm reviewing all of the past Q&A session answers we've received, and have come up with something interesting. In WTFWTK 2.4 someone submitted the following question:

5. Many people received King Grayskull figures that appeared to have been opened then retaped shut. What was the reason for this?
    No Grayskulls were opened and reshut. This is just how they were produced in the factory. We will mention this to our vendors to avoid packaging looking like this in the future.
    Here is another quote from WTFWTK 2.14:
    7. Why are some people receiving MOTUC Stratos figures with the package taped at the bottom?
    We are honestly not sure. This may be an error from the factory and we have passed this feedback along to them.
    What do you make of this? Keep in mind this was back when King Grayskull was first released, and not related to his reissue.

A different quote from WTFWTK 2.12 that I felt was relevant to this discussion:
    9. It appears that the paint app consistency has varied on the three figures released to-date.
    For example, both He-Man and Skeletor seem to have two different paint apps on their faces. A glossy finish version and a more matte finish version. Why is this?

There is only one paint master for all of the figures. Each figure is painted by hand so what you are seeing here are subtle differences and human error.
    Yet another quote that could be considered relevant to this discussion. This one is from WTFWTK 2.16:
    8. There have been numerous reports on He-Man.org alone of production mistakes on MOTUC figures. Why are all these errors happening?
    Mistakes happen in all toy lines. We do have rigorous safety and quality testing but sometimes mistakes are made. They just tend to be more noticeable on a highly collectable line such as MOTUC because these have dedicated fans who discuss the lines in detail online (which is a good thing as it helps us ID the mistakes and correct them - as we did with King Grayskull’s foot problems)
    Last edited by AdultCollector; December 14, 2010 at 05:47am.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    My 2 grayskulls were missing the white paper that goes inside the box one was dubble taped and the other white mailerbox was opened with a pen and it came open