Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Did Mattel sell us previously returned figures?

Sounds more like avoiding the question but at least they are leaving it open for people to have their defective figures replaced.
    Last edited by kup; January 17, 2011 at 09:34pm.

Though Mattel obviously doesn't care much if an entire batch of figures is defective, it is really bothersome knowing that they probably wont do another batch of these for over a year given that this is their third release so there are plenty in circulation so to speak. Regarding the shoddy Skeletor paint job, I find this to be a bigger issue than Roboto's shoulders. It's not too hard to look past reversed shoulder but when its the face of a figure, it becomes a major eye sore and takes the fun out of it. Given that i've gone through 12 of these figures now, 2 things are obvious. A majority of the figures have the bad paint job and Mattel could care less. Till next time I suppose

Did anyone get Battle Cats with irritatingly squeaky back legs? Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

I also got a crappy He-Man & Skeletor and went through the whole process of sending them and BC back and getting replacements. To Customer Service's credit, the He-Man and Skeletor were perfect this time, BUT the Battle Cat squeaky leg syndrome remains. I don't want to press the issue with Customer Service anymore.
    -"You want me to drive?!!"
    -"Hey, it's the 80's!"

Are we being sold returned merchandise?

Hello. To the mods, I didn't want to post this in the Digital River thread because I'd really like people to see it, and that thread doesn't get much traffic. Here are a few pictures of the package from a Buzz Off figure that I recently received from Mattel. Upon arrival, I noticed that the bubble was peeling on the top left corner. Upon closer inspection, I found that the bubble had been affixed over top the remnants of an old bubble that had been cut off. I'm hoping that this was just a factory error, and some lazy worker decided to do a quick fix; however, I can't help but wonder if this was a returned figure that they were trying to pass off as new. What are your thoughts? I've contacted Digital River and they are sending a replacement, but this is still a little disconcerting.

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

That's weird. But I have two questions:

1) Are you a MOC collector, thus making this unacceptable?

2) Was there anything actually wrong with the figure itself that makes you think it had been returned?

I'm not judging your reasons for requesting a replacement at all, just interested in your mindset/reason for concern.

As an opener, I would have looked at that and said "hmm. How weird. Oh well, as long as Buzzy's ok, I'm ok."
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post

2) Was there anything actually wrong with the figure itself that makes you think it had been returned?

I'm not judging your reasons for requesting a replacement at all, just interested in your mindset/reason for concern.

As an opener, I would have looked at that and said "hmm. How weird. Oh well, as long as Buzzy's ok, I'm ok."
    Yes, MOC collector here, so this is completely unacceptable to me. The figure itself is fine, although I did also notice that there is no banding around the waist to hold it firmly in the blister like there is with most.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post

I am an 'opener' and I know that I would have been very annoyed at this.

My rationale? I would be under the impression that I was buying a brand new figure not a 2nd hand one or returned. It's the principle.

If this is true, then itís not good at all. Even if the actual figure itself is in tip-top condition, itís just the principle of the whole matter.

That's exactly what I thought; it's a matter of principle. Even if it's not a returned item, the fact that they would actually cut a damaged bubble off and stick the new one on right over top of what was left of the old is ridiculous. They didn't even bother trying to hide it by lining it up right. It really makes you wonder, is the cost of new card back worth the money they could lose by ticking off a potential long-term customer? I hate the fact that from now on I'll have to go over my shipments with a fine-toothed comb to make sure they don't try to pull something like this again.
    Last edited by gummi; July 31, 2011 at 01:04am.

I ordered a couple of the He-Man reissues a couple weeks ago, and when they came in I noticed one of the white mailer boxes had been retaped. Upon opening it, the tissue paper was all crumpled and frankly a little dirty. The card and bubble inside were fine, but the figure itself has a tiny aberation: the eyes look a little to his left. It didn't bother me at all, but after reading this I wonder if he was returned by somebody much pickier than me...

You have every right to return a product that you are not satisfied with. As a MOC collector the package of your purchase is just as important as the figure inside.

Mattel can get into a lot of trouble re-selling products that have been returned without the buyer being notified before purchase, especially to Australians and people living in the UK whose governments have laws in place to protect the rights of consumers.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbigbo View Post
    I ordered a couple of the He-Man reissues a couple weeks ago, and when they came in I noticed one of the white mailer boxes had been retaped. Upon opening it, the tissue paper was all crumpled and frankly a little dirty. The card and bubble inside were fine, but the figure itself has a tiny aberation: the eyes look a little to his left. It didn't bother me at all, but after reading this I wonder if he was returned by somebody much pickier than me...
    I just received my extra skeletor and the same thing happened to me! The white mailer had been retaped, the tissue paper was crumbled, and surprise, his face has very bad paint apps!

So I'm inclined to believe that yes, I was sold previously returned merchandise.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Well, if some people are pulling this sort of stunt, it's hardly surprising they're turning around some of them to put "back on the shelf".

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I am an 'opener' and I know that I would have been very annoyed at this.

My rationale? I would be under the impression that I was buying a brand new figure not a 2nd hand one or returned. It's the principle.
    Like I said, wasn't judging, just curious.

When I was in line at the Entertainment Earth booth to get Faker vs. Bizarro for myself and a friend, I noticed one of the boxes on the shelf was badly damaged. I was about to tell them that I'd take the damaged one so that there'd be more MOC's for the collectors out there...

...then they told me I could only buy one at a time.

By the time I made it back through the line, the beat up one was already gone.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

When Demo-Man was announced at SDCC, I ordered a Skeletor to use with the Alcalla head that comes with DM... The Skeletor figure arrived today and I'm pretty sure it has been returned. The box had 2 pieces of tape on the top lid instead of one, I have almost every figure Mattel released and never got a box with more than one piece of tape. The paint job on Skeletor's head is a disgrace and the sword has a few paint blobs... This is with no doubt the worse figure I ever got from Mattel, even worse than Robotto. If this was suppose to be my main Skeletor figure, I would return it!

Update

I opened the figure to check for more defects, while removing the head guess what I found? A rubber band on the head peg!!!! I can't believe this! If someone needed proof that we're getting returned figures, here it is! I don't believe that the factory workers are putting rubber bands on pegs to avoid the head bobbling... This is very very wrong!!!
    Last edited by Odrakir; August 16, 2011 at 05:17pm.
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread