View Poll Results: Is There Too Much "Vintage" In MOTUC?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Think MOTUC Is Perfect Just The Way It Is!

86 59.72%
  • I Wish The Line Was Even More "Vintage" In Design!

17 11.81%
  • I Wish The Line Was Even More "2002" In Design!

26 18.06%
  • I Wish The Line Featured New Designs That Weren't "Vintage" Or "2002"!

10 6.94%
  • I'm Quitting The Line If Things Don't Change Soon!

0 0%
  • Other(Please Explain)!

5 3.47%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is MOTUC Too Vintage Or Just Right?

i think it's fine as is. sy-klone is the first fig i've felt underwhelmed about...BUT that said, all i've seen is what is likely just a proto. not the final fig. i've loved the sculpt and paint apps for all the other figs. most of my nitpicks have to do with things like articulation (for example, tytus's lack of articulation).

ETA: the number of people who love EVERYTHING about any single toy line is probably very small. most people will be able to find SOMETHING they don't like about a toy line.
    Last edited by EldestSon; December 6, 2010 at 01:50pm.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    I think the line is great just the way it is, with the vintage look taking priority - but with a few modern/200x add-on pieces included, as long as they don't interfere with the vintage look, ie Grizzlor's removable loin cloth & Sy-Klone's removable ring.

Elder Councilman
    I picked "I wish it was more MO2K" in design, though to be fair for the most part, I think it's fine just how it is.

The reason for my pick is that there're a few characters who could've really used some elements from the updated look...and they got passed over, and it shows glaringly.

As nice as those extra legs and accessories are for Buzz Off, he really needed a better update for a head, even if it wasn't the MO2K head.

We were so nicely spoiled by the MO2K Roboto that without anything of that version, he just looks so bare and "blah" in comparison.

And while I understand why no update was given to King Hiss( the high cost of making him), in the very least painting his "hood" gold would've rocked my world.

To be fair, while I like how Sy-Klone came out in general, I really think his eyes should've been given an asian influence to them; that would've been perfect. It still looks really nice I think, but that would've totally sold it and given him even more character.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

It's perfect to me! I am having more fun collecting this line than I have had with any other! Great stuff!

I love the mostly Vintage looks with all the best of 200X added in. The sly new additions such as Scareglow's reliquary are tops.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I do prefer having more figures based on their vintage costumes than 200X. And I want my vintage inspired figures to look even more vintage. For example, I would have preferred Randor to have had a more vintage style armor design.

But I do like having some 200X inspired figures. And I want my 200X inspired figures to be even more 200X. For example, I really wish that King Grayskull had a new loin cloth, chest harness, forearms, and weapons that truly matched his MYP/200X design.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

EDIT: I thought I'd put my feelings about ToyGuru's "call to action" for 2002 toys in this thread since (1) I didn't want to start a brand new thread since there are way too many of these to begin with & (2) I didn't want to jump on a thread created by 2002 fans since I don't like it when some of them derail various Filmation threads with agressive posts that are just looking to start trouble.

Let's just forget about whether or not you like the 2002 toyline, MYP's toon, or the MOTU designs, WHY does ToyGuru keep going back & forth with Mattel's view of the 2002 designs & MOTUC in general? One day it's that "the design is retired" and "you'll never see a 2002 He-Man toy". Then it's "a 2002 He-Man toy isn't planned but it isn't impossible". Now it's "bang your drums so we can get more 2002 toys". Is he just messing with the passionate fans of that era just to watch them scurry to their computer to create more petitions? Does he just get caught saying things that he'll later regret? Does he just flip a coin like Two-Face before he answers any Q&A's in order to see what his answer will be on the usual barrage of 2002 questions?

Personally, I don't care if 2002 toys are made or not. If they are, that's great for the fans. If they aren't, I wasn't going to buy them anyway. What does annoy me is that if that was a possibility all along, why "diminish" the vintage designs with 2002 details if we're eventually going to be getting 2002 toys anyway? Also, you know this is just going to lead to more arguments on the subject. Some forum members still post screen long diatribes on why MOTUC should be about 2002(and no, I'm not looking at MegaGearMax). When ToyGuru keeps going back & forth on Mattel's stance on 2002 designs, it's like throwing a raw steak between 2 packs of dingoes. Whatever Mattel plans to do about this, I hope they do it(or don't do it) soon so we don't have to deal with an onslaught of debates, arguments, insults, and bannings every time a new MOTUC toy is revealed.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; December 12, 2010 at 05:04pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

i thought their stance has always been that 200x STYLE is retired. not that we couldn't get characters from 200x.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i thought their stance has always been that 200x STYLE is retired. not that we couldn't get characters from 200x.
    I don't listen to Roast Gooble Dinner but I do periodically search for any of ToyGuru's posts on this forum(not because I'm a stalker but because he's the voice of Mattel when it comes to MOTU). In the thread for the latest Roast Gooble Dinner...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...50#post2593550

...ToyGuru posted this...

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Actually, a "head pack" is one of the least likely things to happen. We did propose this and management did put the definitive kabash on it feeling it was a bit morbid to have a group of heads in a package without a "body" as well as feeling it was not the best use of resources. (on the second part I agree knowing what limited resources we have and how intensive heads can be with so many paint ops)

Originally we actually talked about making Prince Adam's extra head the SDCC give-away (like Gleek) but much like a "head pack" this was also thought to be a bit morbid (a head in a bag...yeah, I can see that)

If we do 200X heads they will be with a figure. After all, we need to save things for key refreshes down the line.

So for those wanting 200X heads, keep the chant going. For those wanting a head pack, that I can pretty much tell you will never happen.

TG
    The sentence I highlighted seems to be in direct opposition to what he said during the time of "Whiplash-gate". Again, I don't personally care, but it just riles up a lot of people on both sides of the debate as to whether MOTUC should have more or less 2002 details.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I Think MOTUC Is Perfect Just The Way It Is! I've enjoyed the mix of vintage, and 200x aspects incorporated in it so far.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    EDIT: I thought I'd put my feelings about ToyGuru's "call to action" for 2002 toys in this thread since (1) I didn't want to start a brand new thread since there are way too many of these to begin with & (2) I didn't want to jump on a thread created by 2002 fans since I don't like it when some of them derail various Filmation threads with agressive posts that are just looking to start trouble.

Let's just forget about whether or not you like the 2002 toyline, MYP's toon, or the MOTU designs, WHY does ToyGuru keep going back & forth with Mattel's view of the 2002 designs & MOTUC in general? One day it's that "the design is retired" and "you'll never see a 2002 He-Man toy". Then it's "a 2002 He-Man toy isn't planned but it isn't impossible". Now it's "bang your drums so we can get more 2002 toys". Is he just messing with the passionate fans of that era just to watch them scurry to their computer to create more petitions? Does he just get caught saying things that he'll later regret? Does he just flip a coin like Two-Face before he answers any Q&A's in order to see what his answer will be on the usual barrage of 2002 questions?

Personally, I don't care if 2002 toys are made or not. If they are, that's great for the fans. If they aren't, I wasn't going to buy them anyway. What does annoy me is that if that was a possibility all along, why "diminish" the vintage designs with 2002 details if we're eventually going to be getting 2002 toys anyway? Also, you know this is just going to lead to more arguments on the subject. Some forum members still post screen long diatribes on why MOTUC should be about 2002(and no, I'm not looking at MegaGearMax). When ToyGuru keeps going back & forth on Mattel's stance on 2002 designs, it's like throwing a raw steak between 2 packs of dingoes. Whatever Mattel plans to do about this, I hope they do it(or don't do it) soon so we don't have to deal with an onslaught of debates, arguments, insults, and bannings every time a new MOTUC toy is revealed.
    Bingo.

And people wonder why there is so much confusion of what the Classic style could entail? The definition keeps changing. One week this element is okay, the next week the element is not okay.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I love the line just the way it is.

As TG and Matty-on-Facebook has said several times, they're kinda doing the vintage figures as they were originally designed, but were limited from doing them full justice nearly 30 years ago.

I love how they're realising the characters. For pure example - Mer Man. Was never taken with the original figure, never looked as cool as his box art... finally all these years later we get Mer Man as he was originally pictured.

I guess the 200x "extras" are okay as just that, extras, where deemed fit, but... sorry to be harsh, and I've said it on many other threads, but if you want pure 200x, you're collecting the wrong line. You want 200x, go buy 200x on ebay.
    (Also, I gotta say, I never really cared for most of the 200x designs... stupidly out of scale parts, and for the most part rather ugly).
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I love the line just the way it is.

As TG and Matty-on-Facebook has said several times, they're kinda doing the vintage figures as they were originally designed, but were limited from doing them full justice nearly 30 years ago.

I love how they're realising the characters. For pure example - Mer Man. Was never taken with the original figure, never looked as cool as his box art... finally all these years later we get Mer Man as he was originally pictured.

I guess the 200x "extras" are okay as just that, extras, where deemed fit, but... sorry to be harsh, and I've said it on many other threads, but if you want pure 200x, you're collecting the wrong line. You want 200x, go buy 200x on ebay.
    (Also, I gotta say, I never really cared for most of the 200x designs... stupidly out of scale parts, and for the most part rather ugly).
    A 200X head on a vintage body doesn't make that figure a 200X figure, i.e., Moss Man. What some fans DO want is even more of a mix between the styles.

....I guess you haven't seen Toyguru's post in the RGD 28 thread. No 200X head pak is coming! But he DID say with enough online support, we could see 200X variants of characters--which would be mainly the same figure, only with the 200X head, instead of the vintage head!

This is just like Castle Grayskull, where Mattel wants to sell a whole playset instead of a diorama; an alternate head would have done, but Mattel would rather sell entire figures.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I afraid it going towards more vintage. I prefer a little of both with the option of exchangeable parts. Recently we haven't gotten 200x heads. That has been a personal favorite. I'm saddened by that decision not to include them.

I am glad they stuck with Vintage over anything else, it is what drew me into MOTUC, 200X pushed me as far away from MOTU as I could possibly get, I was glad to see they had gone with the Vintage styling for MOTUC, so I could finally get some new Masters figures....

I personally find most of the 200X figures and stactions horrible looking, I mean great sculpting and all, but the designs are way overboard and highly exaggerated. He-Man looked as if Steroids were something he ate for breakfast....When I saw them in stores, I just walked away.

But MOTUC gives me what I waited since 1987, and within the last 20 years when mysteriously almost all of my MOTU figures vanished from my Dad's place, to have....my childhood figures back, looking almost identical aesthetically to what I remembered as a kid....aside from being able to chew on their squishy heads....and drawing a mustache on MAA....

Had MOTUC been anything else, I likely would have passed on the entire line, much like I did with 200X....And NA....I never even heard of that until a year ago when I joined the forums here. I like some of the sculpts in MOTUC, but the story line has me staying away from it, and the figures....besides I may like some of the NA MOTUC, but not enough to buy them....that and the story made them very easy passes.

I think Jitsu's head crossed back into the "200X head" issue, but no one seems to care it's a double standard to 200X simply because Jitsu is a Vintage figure....yet give him a stylized head like he's getting....OK....

I don't like 200X, I don't want 200X styling in MOTUC, but how is it fair to get a head like Jitsu, but deny another character an equally stylized head because it's a non Vintage head?
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 19, 2012 at 10:02am.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I LOVE the line and the vintage designs, in fact, THIS is what I wish 200X had been, just a straight update of the vintage figures with modern technology/articulation. HOWever, I do think Mattel is a bit too beholden to the vintage designs. I think they should have allowed for some detailing and updates, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the heads. Sy-Clone was seriously underwhelming, whereas his 200X design was interesting and dynamic. And of course heads like Clawful, Spikor and Buzz-Off would would have been much, much, much better if they hadn't done straight updates from the original figures.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Even though I loved Filmation above all else, I think the line is perfect so far, drawing from across many areas of content. No one particular era is dominating right now, I feel like it's pretty uniform all the way across.

Filmation is my first love, and my frame of reference. I loved The New Adventures also, HOWEVER, 200X to me is a travesty in design. The stories were amazing, but the animation, art direction and character interpretations were awful IMO. I know this era has many fans though, and I hope they get at least a few figures before the line folds.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    I think it's fine the way it is with one exception - more 200x styles. Refusing to include 200x heads and stuff like that with the vintage character designs doesn't seem right. Otherwise it seems like all the eras are being pretty well represented. Ya can't please everybody.

I just like the attention to detail that the 4H give this line. These figures are the ones I wanted as a kid. And it's pretty cool to essentially relive those memories and styles of yester-year with this line. Say what you want about these figures being the exact same as the ones we have from the 80's-90's. They're NOT the same. The styles may be the same, but size, articulation, and details are cranked up to a whole new level.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

to my tastes perfection

I'm glad the classics veer more vintage. The 200x and such just are a little "over exaggerated" for my taste. I grew up with the vintage figures, so it's cool to get a minor refresh on those familiar figures

Heroic Warrior
    Love it. Love the look, and the vibe. Ten more years, at least, please.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Heroic Warrior
    I wish it would be more vintage.

I like it just the way it is.

Vintage Character Selection

Vintage Desgin

For me, we are getting the ultimate MOTU figures! I would venture to say for most MOTUC collectors also. They are figures updated with WAY better sculpts, articulation & paint apps. Not to mention MOTU, POP, Filmation, NA, & 200x in the same scale & look.

Its not to say that some fractions have more than others. However, that wasn't the question asked.

I'd like to see some more early mini-comic influences
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I wish it would be more vintage.
    If Classics were anymore Vintage, they would be commemoratives of the original figures!