Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man.org's Best MOTUC of 2010 - Top 5 fan choices

He-Man.org's Best MOTUC of 2010 - Top 5 fan choices

You have voted and the results are in!
    So what MOTUC did He-Man.org fans vote as their top 5 for 2010?
    Let's take a look!

Honorable Mention: Moss Man

Ol' Mossy went toe to toe with our #5 poll winner, jockeying for position the entire time. But in the end, our green friend lost out by ONE vote! Still, with such close results we couldn't let him go without an Honorable Mention.

Moss Man was a figure who faced some difficulties from prototype to final product. Originally slated to be entirely covered with flocking, Mattel discovered that the flocking did not work near the points of articulation. Fans discussed the matter at length and polls went up all over the place on what fans wanted to see done with Moss Man, including here at He-Man.org.

In the end, Mattel and the 4H found a compromise where they just left the joints and areas that faced abrasion uncovered. The one hitch is where a running change was made on the figure, so some Moss Man had flocked ears and some did not. Regardless, many fans were pleased with the final results as you can tell from the poll.

Moss Man also enjoyed the benefit of having two heads. A head inspired by his original MOTU head and a head inspired by his 200x look, something many fans enjoyed and want to see return to MOTUC with future figures.

#5: Adora

After decades of waiting, the Princess of the Kingdom of Eternos, sister to Prince Adam and secret identity of the Princess of Power finally came to figure form! And it was worth the wait. The 4H and Mattel managed to make an Adora that had a resemblance to her Filmation form but was unique to MOTUC and its visual style.

Adora's skirt received some criticism from fans. Her skirt design looks like it was intended to resemble her leotard look in the original cartoon while hiding her hip articulation. But to some fans, it has been called the "diaper" or "granny pantie" look.

That one small thing aside, she's an amazing figure. She also came with a blaster pistol that looks to be inspired by Teela's blaster from the 1987 movie and a fantastic Sword of Protection that appears to be inspired by the classic cartoon.

#4: She-Ra

While this line is currently lacking figures from Princess of Power and New Adventures of He-Man, fans love it when POP figures do make it into the MOTUC line. And She-Ra grabbing the fourth spot is evidence of this.

Fans expressed concern about the stiffness of her skirt which seems like it may prevent She-Ra from sitting in the saddle of a Swift Wind toy (if we ever get one). And the hole in her alternate head that displays her classic toy inspired tiara was not well received.

But when you consider she came with an alternate head that seems to be inspired by the classic cartoon, that hole is easy to overlook. Plus, the the tiara also works like the classic toy tiara that could be flipped around for use as a battle mask.

The Sword of Protection this time came in gold as a great nod to the gold sword that came with the classic She-Ra toy. And she also came with a shield and a cool battle axe that was designed as an homage to the combs that came with the vintage POP toys.

#3: Orko

The heroic court magician firmly cemented third place in our poll. Love him or hate him, Orko has always been recognized as a fan-favorite character and the votes show it.

Orko came out fantastic. We finally got an Orko that is an homage to the original cartoon Orko that many of us wanted when we were young, both in visuals and in scale. He comes with a clear stand to allow him to "hover" next to the other characters, as well as a 200x inspired wand and a cool little spell book.

Plus, in an interesting move, Mattel released Prince Adam as Orko's accessory! Prince Adam is tucked away in the bottom of the package almost like he's off hiding like the lazy Prince Adam we all know. Adam is inspired heavily by his original toy, including his magenta/purple Sword of Power. Plus, Adam came with an additional head sculpt. One is the regular He-Man head sculpt and another is a version with him smiling. What makes this even better is how you can swap this head with your He-Man figure.

Orko had some criticisms over paint application to his ears. And sadly, Prince Adam's sword holster for his back was unfortunately lost between sculpting and tooling and was never added. But those two things aside, this was a fantastic release.

#2: Trap Jaw

No one came close to touching Trap Jaw's second place ranking. This figure is one of the two indisputable favorites of 2010.

The MOTUC Trap Jaw takes the original toy and makes him ten times more fantastic. Now, his robotic arm has a ball joint at the shoulder and articulation at the elbow. He has the same hinged metal jaw as before, but this time with a more descriptive (and a bit gory) interior mouth. He also comes with the gun, claw and hook like in the 80s, as well as the belt from which you can hang unused accessories.

But it doesn't stop there! He also comes with a spare head AND an extra arm so you can transform him into the 200x inspired version of his pre-mechanical self: Kronis.

#1: Battle Cat

Battle Cat has placed in multiple toy polls on sites across the internet for the best of 2010. So it comes as little surprise that he takes the top spot for 2010 here at He-Man.org. And the rave reviews and poll appreciations are all justified. This is the Battle Cat we all dreamed about owning when we were young.

When you see him in the package, he's posed to remind us of the 80s toy that used the previous Big Jim tiger sculpt. But the MOTUC Battle Cat is NOTHING like his unposeable predecessor!

His armor and design is inspired almost purely from the original toy. His armor is the dark red along with subdued black wash to enhance the details along with subtle metallic red accents. He's also massive! Plus he's designed to allow figures like He-Man to snuggly fit into his saddle.

Without his armor, he looks amazing. He's a ferocious looking cat with fantastic anatomy. And best yet, he has incredible articulation that doesn't detract from the sculpting. Jaw, head, neck, legs, body, tail... it's very well done! Battle Cat was worth every penny, and it's easy to see why he earned the top spot for 2010.

--------------------

We'd like to thank everyone who voted in the He-man.org Best MOTUC of 2010 poll. This past year proved to be a fantastic year for MOTUC. And we have a feeling 2011 is going to be even better!

I can not disagree with the polls, but am a little disappointed Marzo was not in there. He is still on my list of favorites for 2010.

Thanks for posting the results, it's interesting to note that the only 2 POP characters released in 2010 both made it into the top 5. It just back's up all the POP fan request's really because POP sells and is clearly a fan favourite.

Take note Toyguru for 2011 and beyond!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    I can not disagree with the polls, but am a little disappointed Marzo was not in there. He is still on my list of favorites for 2010.
    Yeah, I hear ya there. I'm actually a little shocked that he didnt make it in the top 5 and figures that A LOT of people complained about did...like Orko and She-Ra. Oh well...
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I can't disagree with the results either.

My top 5 was almost the same.

Despite what others have said, I personally had Buzz Off in my top 5.

Count Marzo:

I think that just goes to show that a handful of people who are vocal against something don't necessarily reflect what a number of fans are thinking.

We said this on RDG as well in regards to Battle Cat speaking in a new movie.
    Leave it to democracy!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Hmmmm...interesting. Trap Jaw and Battle Cat are where I calculated they would be. Adora and She-ra make sense from a probablity stand point. And I expected Orko to place high but not at third place. Definitely top ten but not third.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    There were a lot of awesome figures and I think overall the 4H deserve a big hand for producing incredible figures. I have to agree with the top two choices. The 4H have captured the true essense of Battle Cat and Trap-jaw in their respective toy forms. They are both great updates of their figures and are the defining examples of classics figures.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

2 of the 5 I voted for made it...Trap-Jaw & Battle Cat... (along with Moss-Man's honorable mention).

IMHO I still think Marzo along wit Tytus was this years worst of the lot.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    I LOVE Marzo, but my top five were: Evil-Lyn, Adora, She-Ra, Moss Man, & Carnivus...

The last spot was really a toss up between Carnivus, Marzo, and Orko... but then I decided I wanted it to go to a 200X character... and I picked Carnivus because he was more obscure than Marzo. Odd reasoning, maybe, but Mattel probably does look at these polls... and I want to encourage the making of obscure characters (Dactys, Sortech, Faceless One, etc.)

I am kind of surprised Evil-Lyn didn't crack the top 6...

I am TOTALLY surprised by Battle Cat getting the number 1 spot... Really? Boring. Sorry His joints squeak and sound obnoxious and he is really difficult to put into position (I am a stickler for balanced, yet realistic poses, and Battle Cat is not articulated with stiff enough joints for that... ironically, mine has a head that CAN hold up his helmet... but my puppy gave the helmet some battle damage). I was never a huge fan of Battle Cat the toy in the vintage line (I loved Cringer/Battle Cat on the show).

Trap Jaw is no surprise... again, boring for me... not that ANYTHING MOTU is REALLY all that boring.. but compared to other characters, he has never really piqued my interest. Though, between Spy Monkey's extra weapons, and the Weapons Pak's Roboto repainted parts, he was fun. The Kronis figure was more fun for me. But, I'd vote for Marzo, Gygor, Tytus, Wun-Dar, Roboto, Buzz-Off, Grizzlor, or Optikk over TJ any day.

That is NOT to say that I am criticizing ANYONE's vote!!!

I love TJ... see? that's how much I love MOTU... I'd rather have a TJ figure over any DC figure!

Next year will be interesting... I hope my top 5 include:

The Faceless One
    Catra
    Sweet Bee
    Castaspella
    Modulok

ha! They are all TM'd (well, not the Faceless one)
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya there. I'm actually a little shocked that he didnt make it in the top 5 and figures that A LOT of people complained about did...like Orko and She-Ra. Oh well...
    Disappointment isn't hatred. Fans REALLY wanted Orko and She-Ra to be flawless.

fully agreed with battle-cat at # 1 and trap - jaw at #2 but about the rest hmmmmmm !
    I think that some voted with their heart.

Exciting results! Love the POP nods, and agree wholeheartedly about the others.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Pretty good poll and results which mirror my votes pretty well. These are fun!

I can't wait to see 2011's results...!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

While only 2 of the winners were on my Top 5, they all would have been on my list if it were a Top 10. For as much grief as some fans give Orko, She-Ra, and Adora, I couldn't be happier that they all made the list. Even Moss Man, a toy that had a lot of fans upset because he was flocked(or at least wasn't flocked as well as they wanted), came close to making the list. I'm very happy with the results!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I'm curious to know where Keldor placed? I wonder if people were truly objective enough with their votes or if they were voting for their favorite characters instead of the actual toys...I guess that's democracy though.

Three of my top 5 actually won!
    Last edited by Judeh Simon; January 2, 2011 at 10:57pm.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Obviously the "Vintage Purists" or Filmation Fanatics fixed the poll somehow. Just wait until Bow wins next year.

In all seriousness, I'd be curious to see the numbers for this poll. How many people participated and how many voted for the top 10 characters?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Wow.... yes trap jaw and battle cat were definately top two, but I thought adora, moss man, and even she-ra weren't anything special and the weak links of the year. Look at how well the sculpts for figures like whiplash, buzz off, and optik turned out and a bland figure like adora or a beastman repaint with a poor flock job beat them? Strange.

I'm surprised to see that Count-Marzo, Whiplash and Buzz-Off (or Moss-Man) didn't make the top five with Trap-Jaw and Battle-Cat!!!!

Adora and She-ra?? Common guys, this isn't a Barbie line!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

You mean Mo-Lar didn't make it?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

It's very encouraging that the two POP figures were so highly thought of. Perhaps they scored so highly in part because of the obvious importance of the two characters. But then, all the Top 5 were A-listers. So, I guess POP proved its place once again.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Great results. I wonder how close it was between She-Ra and Orko, just a hand full of votes of quite a few votes?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I don't know, how many people voted due to great sculpts and paint jobs, compared to nostalgia. I mean when I look at my collection, they all look great.
    As great as Battle Cat and Trap Jaw are, but I expected nothing less from the Horsemen.
    I have to admit, my votes went toward favorites that I was just glad to see a figures made of that I did not expect. Adora, She-Ra and Orko Filmation accurate were great surprises in 2010 for me since I did not think they were allowed. And Orko to scale was wanted even more by me today as it was when I was a kid.

If Granymyr comes out this year, he will get my vote if he resembles Filmation's version. He is another long awaited figure for me.

I voted for Battle Cat, Moss Man, Evil-Lyn, Whiplash, and Carnivus. Trap Jaw would be my own personal 'honourable mention'. I had to give his vote to Carnivus, who blew me away once I had him in-hand.
    But really, most of the figures released in 2010 were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    Thanks for posting the results, it's interesting to note that the only 2 POP characters released in 2010 both made it into the top 5. It just back's up all the POP fan request's really because POP sells and is clearly a fan favourite.

Take note Toyguru for 2011 and beyond!
    They are MOST deserving and I'm not at all surprised those two made the list, but I'd be surprised if other POP figures would have. I'm looking forward to all the POP ladies, but I just don't think any of the other characters from that line would get as many votes as the main/two main characters of the entire MOTU franchise.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.