Thread: 80s Minicomic outline and Preternia Disguise He-Man

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

80s Minicomic outline and Preternia Disguise He-Man

Ever since it was announced that the original outline for the final two parts of the original 'Powers of Grayskull' minicomics had been found, I've been eager to find out how that story would have played out. This material has apparently been woven into the bio for Preternia Disguise He-Man. I'm still a bit hard pressed to decipher exactly what the story would have been.

Does anybody have theories on what exactly is being pulled from the original outlined story? I assume He-Man was to have teamed up with He-Ro and that he would have been instrumental in helping He-Ro win a major battle.

I wonder if the part about He-Man ultimately defeating King Hiss because of what he learned in the past came from the original outline as well.

I was hoping there might be some stuff about Eldor, Sharella, Keldor, Unnamed One, etc but apparently not.

~Penny~

Could there still be some more figures/bios that will add to the PoG minicomics?

King Hsss is the next figure that could shed some more light on the PoG story. There is still Eldor that we can be pretty confident will eventually get released as a figure

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I thought there'd be more too, but it was great to hear that King Hiss would finally be defeated.

I'm guessing Adam was to have allied himself with He-Ro, joined in the battle with the Snake Men... maybe alter history slightly or ensured it, discovered the key to defeating Hiss, and returned to vanquish him once and for all; which is why he's gone by the time of the New Adventures. Retconning in King Grayskull to the mix didn't seem to change much...

Here's hoping Veena, Eldor, Hiss, The Faceless One tell more of the story, including who the Nameless One was and what Skeletor was doing back in the past.

PS. Penny, I love your current icon!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

I just want to know when we're gunna get a TPB or HC of all the vintage minicomics combined. Would be great if they put the unpublished minicomics in there too. I'd be all over something like that. Id really like to know more about He-Man's adventures in Preternia, but I guess I can simply make my own.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I doubt the part where he-man defeats king hiss comes from the unreleased mini-comics. To me, it sounds more like it was added because we need hordak and hiss out of the way for skeletor and he-man to have their new adventure.

Also, in the mini-comics, heroes never defeated somebody permanently, they would just run away swearing vengeance.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    There is still Eldor that we can be pretty confident will eventually get released as a figure
    I hope you right!Can't wait!!
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Also, in the mini-comics, heroes never defeated somebody permanently, they would just run away swearing vengeance.
    Yep, that is 100% true and exactly why I wondered if that part actually came from the outline or was made up for the bio.

I expected the bio to reveal more of the story too. Now they mixed King Garyskull into the story it is hard to find out what is actually taken from the minicomics. I expected only He-Ro in the bio as there was no King Grayskull in the vintage line.

On the other hand the story in the minicomics was usually pretty simple so I would not be that surprised if this was all the story we were supposed to get.

Tytus was not mentioned in the story, why? According to the cardbacks/boxart He-Ro and Tytus were fighting against the Snakemen together.

Regarding King Hisss to be defeated permanently - I think that is because Toyguru mentioned that the MOTUC story does have an end so the bad guys have to be defeated at some point. So this piece of bio probbably does not come from the original minicomics because - as was already pointed out by others - the vintage story does not have an end.

King Hisss can only hardly be defeated permanently because of his abililty to regenerate/shed skin quickly - this ability is natural to all the Snakemen. So I wonder how they defeated him permanently. By sendig him back to the Void out of which he escaped severl times?
    Last edited by Sabretooth; December 11, 2010 at 01:45am.

I was really expecting more out of this bio. I should know by now not to set myself up for disappointment with these things.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

None of the King Grayskull stuff is from the original outline. That would be impossible, unless TG actually HAS a real Book of Living Spells from a real Eldor and went back and changed time

The bio is really cool, but I don't think it tells us much of anything from that outline.

The Powers of Grayskull mini-comic trilogy was supposed to launch the new Powers of Grayskull toy line, with He-Ro, Eldor, Sharella, Turbodactyl, Bionatops, and Tytus fighting King Hssss, the Snake Men, Keldor, Tyrantisaurus Rex, The Unnamed One, and Megator.

I doubt the trilogy was going to send He-Man to the future to end King Hssss once and for all.. that would be a Really weird way to water down one of the main villains of the new toy line.

King Grayskull is just a big problem!
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I suspect the only elements that actually come out of the POG part 2 and 3 story outlines are Disguised He-Man returns to Preternia to team up with He-Ro and the pair defeat King Hiss and his warriors in a battle.

I'm guessing there are other elements in the unpublished storylines we haven't seen, such as:
    - Skeletor back messing around in Preternia
    - meeting Eldor, Gray (secret identity of He-Ro) and possibly even Sharella
    - the giants Megator and Tytus.

Really, I do think Matty should publish this information for fans as per the original story outline ... without any retroactive tweaks such as King Grayskull etc.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Could there still be some more figures/bios that will add to the PoG minicomics?
    That's what I'm assuming because in Toyguru's original quote he said they would be using the information from the 3-part Powers of Grayskull story in bios - plural - and that Mattel had plans for lots of Preternia characters.

Keep reading the Bios!
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

As far as I've always understood it

Powers of Grayskull was going to be this own spin-off, venturing into Preternia with He-Ro fighting against Keldor and also King Hiss and Snake Men.

Soooo the part about He-Man learning how to defeit King Hiss in his own time, even if later, I could see that being part of the original storyline.
    Because it would give nice enough closure to it.

- He-Man returns back to his time and is able to stop King Hiss
    - And now we'll continue with adventures with He-Ro and a group of new characters

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    The King Hsss "final battle" is not discussed in the VERY brief "Preliminary Story Background". But gaining the knowledge to defeat Hssss for this eventual battle is the "big reveal" as to why the Sorceress sends He-Man back.

The first page of this outline is printed on page 4 of the art book. For those who have it, you can see even this outline was changed by the time the first part was turning into a mini comic. But it did provide an "idea" for us of where the mini comic 3 part tale "The Powers of Grayskull" was going to go and what would be revealed.

Keep reading the bios! More to come. ;-)
    Last edited by Toyguru; December 11, 2010 at 10:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The King Hsss "final battle" is not discussed in the VERY brief "Preliminary Story Background". But gaining the knowledge to defeat Hssss for this eventual battle is the "big reveal" as to why the Sorceress sends He-Man back.

The first page of this outline is printed on page 4 of the art book. For those who have it, you can see even this outline was changed by the time the first part was turning into a mini comic. But it did provide an "idea" for us of where the mini comic 3 part tale "The Powers of Grayskull" was going to go and what would be revealed.

Keep reading the bios! More to come. ;-)
    Very interesting! Thanks for the info Toyguru.

It'd be great to see the actual outline itself someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O
    PS. Penny, I love your current icon!
    Thanks Jon-O.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck20 View Post
    I just want to know when we're gunna get a TPB or HC of all the vintage minicomics combined. Would be great if they put the unpublished minicomics in there too. I'd be all over something like that. Id really like to know more about He-Man's adventures in Preternia, but I guess I can simply make my own.
    There aren't any unpublished mini-comics, to the best of my knowledge. The information from what would have been the second and third minis is taken from a very brief outline, as Toyguru mentioned.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    There aren't any unpublished mini-comics, to the best of my knowledge. The information from what would have been the second and third minis is taken from a very brief outline, as Toyguru mentioned.
    Before ToyGuru mentioned the outline, we got confirmation of story script for full 3 parts. Initially I personally read it as "scripts of parts 2 and 3 written by Tim Kilpin" (because of the word script in there), but it is a mere outline after all? Maybe?
    And incidentally while doing research for the art book last year I did uncover the cross sell art of He-Ro as seen on this card (which made it into the book) and the story script for the full 3 part "Powers of Grayskull" mini comic written by Tim Kilpin. We'll be incorporating that into the MOTUC bios as time goes on.

While He-Ro did change slightly from his "Gray" alter ego due to the inclusion/introduction of King Grayskull, He-Ro will still be Eldor's apprentice in magic and we do have plans for lots more Preternia fun in the MOTUC line. Stay tuned soon. While we did merge a few ideas to create one streamlined story for the bios we do want to include as much existing content/storyline as possible, so it is always cool when things like this are found.

But gaining the knowledge to defeat Hssss for this eventual battle is the "big reveal" as to why the Sorceress sends He-Man back.
    "Sorceress! I finally learned how to defeat King Hsss! Quick, use your magic to clone me an army of mongooses!"

"Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Before ToyGuru mentioned the outline, we got confirmation of story script for full 3 parts. Initially I personally read it as "scripts of parts 2 and 3 written by Tim Kilpin" (because of the word script in there), but it is a mere outline after all? Maybe?
    That does seem vaguely familiar now. Either way, still not an actual unpublished mini-comic, though. Not that I'd mind if here were, as long as they became published!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    "Sorceress! I finally learned how to defeat King Hsss! Quick, use your magic to clone me an army of mongooses!"

http://www.tipposcycles.com.au/wordp...660552_std.jpg
    That mongoose picture is awesome!
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley