Thread: Warning to those who purchased from TRU.com!

Warning to those who purchased from TRU.com!

My Aquaman/Mer-Man two pack was defective. Mer-man had a broken foot inside which was not evident until after I opened it.

I called the number on the invoice, and was told that this TRU exclusive item was considered a "collectible" as per the terms listed in the return section, and could only be returned unopened in it's original factory sealed package.

I was denied a return authorization because I had opened it.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

That's sucks.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

That does suck.

The only real solution I can think of would be to return it to a TRU store and get a replacement for it. You usually don't need a receipt for defective merchandise, especially ones that are exclusive to TRU. But you would have to wait until they are in-stock at a store near you, which still sucks.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    I did return a defective one to a physical store that I'd originally purchased on-line - they didn't have any in stock, so they gave me a store credit. That at least is better than being stuck with a broken one. Bummer that his foot is broken.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Wow, I've never heard of anything like that; one of the most ridiculous policies I've ever seen. Did you check the "terms" they mentioned to see if the person was right?

I've returned things I've bought off the web to a regular TRU before; I did get store credit rather than a refund, but I'm in that store so much I'm listed in their inventory, so that worked fine for me.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, it's strange they denied a return when they would allow it in a store. I actually had to exchange my Lex/Skeletor set as the first one had very loose joints all over. All I had to do was shake it and they let me exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    My Aquaman/Mer-Man two pack was defective. Mer-man had a broken foot inside which was not evident until after I opened it.

I called the number on the invoice, and was told that this TRU exclusive item was considered a "collectible" as per the terms listed in the return section, and could only be returned unopened in it's original factory sealed package.

I was denied a return authorization because I had opened it.
    That's really wierd.

I once bought a DCD Batman statue from TRU and it came broken and I sent it back.

I expected the usual TRU.com warning for mosc collectors that TRU.com
    doesn't pack their items very good and cards tend to get crushed often.

This I didn't expect at all.
    It's a very lousy policy!
    Defective merchandise should ALWAYS be replaceable.
    Loose joints and bad paint applications are one thing,
    but broken parts is totally unacceptable!
    If you can return it to the store, that's the way to go imo.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Songster "Kevin Corrigan", Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Granita, Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, KARG, Hunga the Harpy, Lodar, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn, Dylamug, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders Of Morc
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

That is really poor Customer Service, I would call back again and ask to speak to a manager. If not try returning it to a physical store like others have suggested.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

I ordered 2 sets in different transactions so they would be shipped separately in hopes that at least 1 set of each would arrive undamaged.

Nope, both sets arrived today and all four 2-packs were damaged. Sets just thrown in a box that is too big with NO packing materials, etc. Cards bent and creased...bubble bent in and creased, etc. And to top it off the tape they used to tape up the box said "QUALITY INSPECTED". Grrrrr!!! They need to learn how to pack!
    ......... ........

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Snake Mountain Man, Filmation Mer-Man, NA Prince Adam, Dylamug, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Quakke, Delora/Hawke, Dree-Elle/Montork, Tuvar, Badrah, Disco Skeletor, Songster, & Stridor

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I ordered 2 sets in different transactions so they would be shipped separately in hopes that at least 1 set of each would arrive undamaged.

Nope, both sets arrived today and all four 2-packs were damaged. Sets just thrown in a box that is too big with NO packing materials, etc. Cards bent and creased...bubble bent in and creased, etc. And to top it off the tape they used to tape up the box said "QUALITY INSPECTED". Grrrrr!!! They need to learn how to pack!
    that's how i get all my packages from TRU online so i stopped ordering from there online store
    once i received a box with a foot print next to a Fragile stamp . now com on

Heroic Warrior
    While a lousy policy... I WOULD like to remind people, that TRU seems to have an issue with people buying the two packs and swapping figures out with 200x toys and returning them...

LOT of .orgers were complaing about THAT a little while ago...

PROBABLY the basis for 'unopened' returns only....

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if you didn't notice it until you opened it, they probably wouldn't have noticed it either. I'd say try to contact Mattel about it, since it was broken in-package. Maybe they can swap you for a good one or something. Or you could send it to me, since it's broken and all.

Sorry to hear about it though and I hope either Mattel or TRU can help you out.

That sucks to hear, but at the same time, you have to understand where they are coming from with this policy. I'm sure there are lots of parents sadly who's kids are animals when it comes to toys, break them, and then the parents try to bring it back to get a brand new one for little Johnny to beat against the wall. It sucks, but It does sound like a policy made to protect them from people who try and pull that type of stuff.

If you go in store, you should have a good chance of either exchanging it out (if in stock) or some type of store credit...tru is pretty good when it comes to customer service (in store, anyways, but this is just from my experiences over the years.)

That's okay...I used my American Express to pay for them.

I called them and explained the situation. They reversed the charge for the one item.

Eat that TRU!!
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    That's okay...I used my American Express to pay for them.

I called them and explained the situation. They reversed the charge for the one item.

Eat that TRU!!
    Lol! Nice

It really is sad that TRU.com has to adhere to ridiculous policies like this one. I mean seriously, how do you know if your item is defective until you open it?!?!

But the reality is that TRU.com probably looses tons of money annually due to swindlers and dishonest buyers (not to mention the physical locations) and an unfortunate side effect is that honest people like us have to suffer.....
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I bought a Skeletor/Lex 2 Pack and the Skeletor had severely floppy ankles. I took it back and explained that it was so bad that the figure couldn't even stand. The store gave me my money back without any hassle. I think customer service is a hit or miss thing depending on who you encounter.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

My set arrived this morning. I had some warped parts (fixed with hot water), but otherwise they were great.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    That does suck.

The only real solution I can think of would be to return it to a TRU store and get a replacement for it. You usually don't need a receipt for defective merchandise, especially ones that are exclusive to TRU. But you would have to wait until they are in-stock at a store near you, which still sucks.
    At Toysrus now you do need receipt (or for online purchases the packing slip) for even a straight exchange for defective items. For in store purchases, they can look up your purchases in store by credit/debit number, phone or rewards.

But yeah, call back and talk to someone else and if they give you crap talk to a manager. Sometimes its just down to the person. I know one store near me is really cool, but the other one really doesn't like "collectors", probably because of the sleazy buyers from the local comic shops.

Their standard policy for online orders is merchandise credit (gift card)
    Last edited by scorpiokyle; December 11, 2010 at 04:15pm.

ive taken online stuff back to tru store w/ the receipt that comes in the box and my email receipt. they give cash back, but don't return shipping. but these were free ship so that's not an issue this time.