Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 028 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 028 Discussion!

Episode 028 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The gang kicks things off with discussion about 200x stylings in the MOTUC line.

Then they jump into a batch of fan e-mail where they discuss such topics as
    boxart
    King Grayskull
    Clamp Champ
    Wun-Dar as Zodac
    accent impersonations
    Judge J.B.
    all topped off with a bit of Italian wisdom!

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    He-Man (continued)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 45 minutes, 44 seconds

Direct link for Episode 028

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

I read somewhere that I have permission to yell at you. Where do I sign up? :P
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    accent impersonations
    You guys and your friggin accent impersonations every episode...
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I read somewhere that I have permission to yell at you. Where do I sign up? :P
    I believe you have to get in line.
    Hope you have lots of time to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    You guys and your friggin accent impersonations every episode...
    Wait until you hear them this time.

@JVS3
    I think what TG and upper management are talking about is if they had 2 looks for figures say a MOTU Classics line and say a 200X Classics line, a mother or possible father buying these figures would be confused if their child said: "I WANNA HE-MAN figure!! Waaah waaah!" Mommy/daddy go to the store and see 2 completely different looking He-Man figures both the standard version not some variant, but one looks (I use this term loosely) "anime-ish" and another looks like the classic "Filmationesque" or classic toy. Which one does the kid want? That's what I think he was referring to. Kinda like the Avatar figures - 3 3/4" and 6" figures - 2 distinct looks, but which one does the kid want? Most parents who don't care or know much about toys, really don't understand the difference other than price tags.

Re: the 200x exclusion...

Ok I believe I get it.

I don't think the "real" reason for the exclusion of 200x by upper mgmt is necessarily that it's going to be "confusing" to parents because, "hello?!" Parents aren't even buying these figures at Toys R Us we, the "adult" collectors are the ones buying them exclusively online (I think that was kinda a cop-out answer.) I do respect, and "get" what you all were talking about, and I totally do "get" what TG was talking about regarding the "branding" of one given style or look, and sticking to it, it's just that, that, doesn't really apply with this "adult collector" aimed line, sold exclusively online.

What I think the "real" reason for the exclusion is this:

Let's just say that of the 100% of adult collectors buying these figures, 60% of them are also fans of the 200x line, and have thus far, enjoyed, or at least not minded, the inclusion of the occasional, extra, "purely" 200x heads. Now then let's say that of that 60% of the 200x fans, only half of them, or 30% of the total adult collectors buying this line, are the "hardcore" 200x fans that feel that the allocated tooling cost for those extra, "purely" 200x heads, is justified, while the other 30% of them do enjoy the extra 200x heads, but ultimately, could live without them, and would maybe rather have the "cumulative" tooling cost of those 200x heads, go towards other, "extra" accessories; or diorama-type pieces like the weapons rack; or even an entirely "extra" bonus figure for the year - and would basically rather have the "option" of buying a separate 200x heads pack, as has been suggested, as opposed to having those extra 200x heads "forced upon them" by being packed in with the standard figures, and eating up some of that figures tooling cost allocation.

So in the end, hypothetically of course (although I'd imagine I'm in the ballpark,) it's 70% of total buyers that could truly live without that 200x heads being packaged with/included in the cost, of each of the standard figures, vs. 30% of total buyers that would "prefer" to have those 200x heads included in the tooling budget for each of the standard figures that would have them.

So then, we are left with 70% of the TOTAL figures produced (with an extra 200x head,) that are basically including "wasted" accessories (the 200x heads) or wasted "tooling costs" because those collectors simply won't use those extra heads. And let's face it, essentially, one of the two heads, regardless of which one, is always gonna be pretty much "wasted" at any given point in time, when it's not actually "attached" to the figure, because, unlike all the weapons that are included with each figure, so far, can "all" be equipped on the figure at any one given time, while the heads on the other hand, well, there is "only one body" included, allowing for only one head to be attached, at any one given time.

I hope that makes sense.
    No comment.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Regarding King Grayskull vs. He-Man, it's interesting to hear the take entertainment had. I never would have expected that. Like with He-Ro, I would have expected him to be a hero in his own right. Being that he was their ancestor, so far removed from the present, he's his own person. Yes, Adam takes after him in so may ways, and he's the fount of the power, but that's just it. He's the start of it all. Adam is the prophecy, the rebirth, the manifestation of so many hopes.

Personally, I see that there's something special within all of them, (He-Ro, Grayskull, He-Man, She-Ra) and they all tap into it in different ways, or similar ways, but no one should be "better" than the other. If there is one that's stronger, it should be the current ones based on breeding and survival of the fittest. D'Vann was a huge guy with a noble heart who battled to save his people, Adam and Adora are exceptional individuals who've overcome great obstacles, and are the culmination of a long line of heroes. I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

And welcome back, Emiliano! It was good to hear you. I thought someone was doing a really good impression at first.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Only 18mins in and I wanna say real quick, I agree Val. As Scott was saying it last ep, I was thinking "What?? Really??". (Nothing against the guy, he's just doin his job)
    There are a lot of 200X fans out there, why not increase your sales?

Mr Dead Horse, this is a stick... *sigh*

Anyways, back to listening..

Why is it that whenever an American attempts a British accent it's always a posh English or Cockney voice?

Anyways, good to hear Emiliano on the show again, I missed you man.

Great episode ! I was glad to hear the return of Emiliano !

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    @JVS3
    I think what TG and upper management are talking about is if they had 2 looks for figures say a MOTU Classics line and say a 200X Classics line, a mother or possible father buying these figures would be confused if their child said: "I WANNA HE-MAN figure!! Waaah waaah!" Mommy/daddy go to the store and see 2 completely different looking He-Man figures both the standard version not some variant, but one looks (I use this term loosely) "anime-ish" and another looks like the classic "Filmationesque" or classic toy. Which one does the kid want?
    We're talking about Mattel's nuking of extra 200x inspired heads and of 200x inspired styling elements on a MOTUC figure.
    It's one He-Man in one package for MOTUC.

Even Scott's example was of Count Marzo and He-Man being visually confusing against each other, which doesn't hold water I'm sad to say.
    No one proposed that you have two separate He-Man figures at the exact same time with two different looks, both in the same type of packaging with the exact same name.

Like we talked about in the show, I can't see any real reason not to do extra 200x heads and elements unless it's just to save money or because someone at Mattel is scared of or hates 200x.

Like Neutro said, this is an Adult Collectors line anyway. The example of why they heads can't be included because of an illogical hypothetical situation at retail for a line that hasn't gone to retail outside of a few 2-packs, doesn't fly as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    So then, we are left with 70% of the TOTAL figures produced (with an extra 200x head,) that are basically including "wasted" accessories (the 200x heads) or wasted "tooling costs" because those collectors simply won't use those extra heads.
    I don't agree. You talk like it's either or.
    But how many folks here bought 2 of each figure with multiple heads just so they could display one of each?

You indirectly bring up a point we didn't cover on the show. It's actually better for Mattel to DO the extra heads because it increases sales quantities of those figures.
    A number of people will buy more than one on purpose just to be able to display both heads.
    That's extra sales of an entire figure for Mattel thanks to a relatively minimal extra production cost.

And if not, like we said on the show, there's always the option of an Accessory Head Pack full of 200x heads that Mattel can sell for extra cash.
    Or to release a 200x variant as Danielle described.

In my heart, I think Scott is fighting the good fight for us fans.
    And I really hope he can convince upper management to reverse their position on this.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Why is it that whenever an American attempts a British accent it's always a posh English or Cockney voice?
    Probably the same reason the two main American accents other countries do are the Jewish New Yorker or Southern Drawl.

I think you have to live in the country to hear the subtleties between various accents.

I may not know anything about Mattel internally, but I do know the stock market and China. China recently raised costs for labor and while it is not a huge amount, it is enough to cause some companies to raise prices or cut things out. This is what I really think is leading to the less tooling.

No offense to Toyguru personally, but I know if my company is doing cutbacks for any reason, I'm not allowed to say the real reason why. With more labor cost increases coming (as Poe Ghostal pointed out in his interview with the 4H), Mattel has to plan ahead so that the cost increases don't effect their bottom line.

Just my opinion, but the cutbacks + the labor cost increases seemed to line up really well.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I would've accepted Scott's "explanation" (nothing against the messenger. I just have a beef with the message.) IF this line was a retail line aimed at kids. Right now it's a line aimed for adults (who have to scramble every 15th if they're not with a sub to Mattycollector.com and get these toys.)
    It seems that the Mysterious 200X Hating EXEC theory is still on.

Now another thing that's kinda grinding my gears with MOTUC is "The avatar of imagination" reason to accept or disregard the bios.
    As adult collectors we like to see where things fit and the idea that Mattel's "official canon" is easily disregarded by Mattel is not cool.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Ok I believe I get it.

I don't think the "real" reason for the exclusion of 200x by upper mgmt is necessarily that it's going to be "confusing" to parents because, "hello?!" Parents aren't even buying these figures at Toys R Us – we, the "adult" collectors are the ones buying them exclusively online (I think that was kinda a cop-out answer.) I do respect, and "get" what you all were talking about, and I totally do "get" what TG was talking about regarding the "branding" of one given style or look, and sticking to it, it's just that, that, doesn't really apply with this "adult collector" aimed line, sold exclusively online.

What I think the "real" reason for the exclusion is this:

Let's just say that of the 100% of adult collectors buying these figures, 60% of them are also fans of the 200x line, and have thus far, enjoyed, or at least not minded, the inclusion of the occasional, extra, "purely" 200x heads. Now then let's say that of that 60% of the 200x fans, only half of them, or 30% of the total adult collectors buying this line, are the "hardcore" 200x fans that feel that the allocated tooling cost for those extra, "purely" 200x heads, is justified, while the other 30% of them do enjoy the extra 200x heads, but ultimately, could live without them, and would maybe rather have the "cumulative" tooling cost of those 200x heads, go towards other, "extra" accessories; or diorama-type pieces like the weapons rack; or even an entirely "extra" bonus figure for the year - and would basically rather have the "option" of buying a separate 200x heads pack, as has been suggested, as opposed to having those extra 200x heads "forced upon them" by being packed in with the standard figures, and eating up some of that figures tooling cost allocation.

So in the end, hypothetically of course (although I'd imagine I'm in the ballpark,) it's 70% of total buyers that could truly live without that 200x heads being packaged with/included in the cost, of each of the standard figures, vs. 30% of total buyers that would "prefer" to have those 200x heads included in the tooling budget for each of the standard figures that would have them.

So then, we are left with 70% of the TOTAL figures produced (with an extra 200x head,) that are basically including "wasted" accessories (the 200x heads) or wasted "tooling costs" because those collectors simply won't use those extra heads. And let's face it, essentially, one of the two heads, regardless of which one, is always gonna be pretty much "wasted" at any given point in time, when it's not actually "attached" to the figure, because, unlike all the weapons that are included with each figure, so far, can "all" be equipped on the figure at any one given time, while the heads on the other hand, well, there is "only one body" included, allowing for only one head to be attached, at any one given time.

I hope that makes sense.
    All MOTUC merchandise sells out, even the Weapons Paks, which are recolored items that we already own. Some fans are already satisfied with their original weapons. At least any new heads would be unique unto themselves and all of them don't have to be 200X heads to maximize sales. We could be getting a black Zodac helmet for Wun-Darr, a vintage Marzo head or a She-Ra head without the hole. Ask yourself, isn't this the same thing with the Weapon's Paks? That there are more weapons that aren't getting displayed?

I've got loads of weapons and heads that I'm not using, but it's great to have that option when or if I ultimately decide to switch things up or if a new opportunity presents itself (Using TRU He-Man's head on KG's body).

Another example are the MOTUC/DC 2 paks. Some fans like their original figures, rather than the repaints at TRU. However, the first Wave was so successful that we've made it to Wave 3.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 9, 2010 at 09:36am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Honestly, Mattel's big mistake was saying anything at all about this.

What they should have done is just stop including 200x heads or details or whatever. If anyone asked about it just says something like "it was not in the budget" or "we decided to go a different way", which is probably true anyways.

99.9% of people would not have noticed if 200x was phased out quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post

What they should have done is just stop including 200x heads or details or whatever. If anyone asked about it just says something like "it was not in the budget" or "we decided to go a different way", which is probably true anyways.

Maybe the vintage fans who don't care about such things wouldn't have noticed....

...but the 200X fans most definitely WOULD. After all, fans DID notice Roboto, King Hsss and Buzz-Off didn't have any 200X heads a month before Toyguru made the announcement in September.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I know I've said my piece on this issue before. It's mind boggling to me how inane this decision is. As the poll on the org suggested, there is a high degree of interest in getting these elements included. The customers WANT to give Mattel their money, and this unwielding approach to the vision of this line has the potential of significantly undercutting the level of success that it could potentially achieve.

It was mentioned a couple times during the podcast that Mattel doesn't "think like collectors" and take a more corporate view on this, and I agree. They desperately need to rethink their approach on this if they truly want to keep this line going through it's 2016 projection.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    It really is kind of an intellectual slap in the face that Mattel thinks us so stupid.

They give a retail answer for an internet line...

Just tell us "tough luck, shut up, buy what we give you"...at least THAT would be honest!

I feel bad for TG, constantly having to spout what he knows to be condescending BS.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Wow... I was with you until you made the comment at the end. Why can't some people on here stop with the snipes?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    It was mentioned a couple times during the podcast that Mattel doesn't "think like collectors" and take a more corporate view on this, and I agree. They desperately need to rethink their approach on this if they truly want to keep this line going through it's 2016 projection.
    I don't think that they're TRULY taking a "corporate" view.

If they were, then PROFIT would be the main focus.

I bought TWO Man at Arms bc of multiple heads.

Ditto Whiplash, Mer-Man, Moss Man....

I WOULD have bought TWO Grizzlors, but for the exclusion of the Staction face.

Mattel is costing themselves money. That is not an intelligent way to do business...

Bro...really?

You can't really believe that.

Do you?
    Last edited by Larry Waters; December 9, 2010 at 11:58am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I still don't buy that fact that the higher ups at Mattel are able to detect the subtle differences in aesthetic nuances of 200X-inspired elements in the Classics line.
    My guess is that someone just finally realized that this line is so hot that they can easily sell more toys if they sell us another, more 200X-inspired figure down the road, as opposed to giving us a second head with the current figure. Again, just my theory.

Great show! Welcome back Emiliano.

Agree with Eamon's thoughts on Clamp Champ; neat character story but bland toy. Never had the original toy, but thought that the 4H amped him up in the staction. I still would like the idea of him being related to Dekker.

Wun-Dar as Zodac - really like this idea. Need to include change in real name from Wun-Dar to Zodac Zur when he became the cosmic enforcer
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

Yay Emiliano is back!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Emiliano RETURNS!!!

It wasn't the same broadcast without you, bro!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 9, 2010 at 01:00pm.

Yeay for winning an (italian) Emmy in the middle of the show!