Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 028 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    As I said on the show last week, this was done for a branding purpose. Eamon is correct in his extrapolation.
    Man, I really need to catch up on the last few episodes. Had no idea you were on an ep.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Let me see if I can clear up this confusion about "no 200X" in the online MOTUC line.

As I said on the show last week, this was done for a branding purpose. Eamon is correct in his extrapolation.

There is no "VP who hates or was burned by 200X". If anything, one of the greatest successes of the 200X line was the collector interest, so of course we know collectors loved this line. Heck, the line was so big with collectors that unarticulated figures sold after the line ended.

But collectors who want the MOTUC line to be 200X are going to be dissapointed. This is NOT the 200X line continued. Do we think there are collectors who would support a 200X continuation line, sure! But it is not what we are doing right now.

To move MOTU as a brand forward, it is important to have one cohesive look for characters right now. The 200X redesigns just don't work for that. As I've said before, there is no reason we can't do 200X heads down the road (and I have said this), they are just retired from the current online MOTUC line.

Honestly, I think adding in 200X heads as a future box set or variant is a great way to refresh some characters down the road. In a movie year if this line were to go to retail that could possibly be one of many ways we might change around the original releases. Who knows?

But I hope this will put a cork in the idea that anyone hates the 200X line and design around here. It is cool, and I am personally a huge fan, but it is just not the current look for the brand. The current look is the Classics style.

We know there are fans of 200X designs and I imagine in time (and not anytime in the immediate future) 200X heads will be "Classic-ized" much like Whiplash. But not in the current online line as this look is retired. (things can and do come out of retirement if the timing works and the situation calls for it).

Hope this helps!

TG
    Thanks Toyguru--for bringing the 200X fans some acknowledgment that Mattel is at least open to making a 200X head pack for Classics.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Can I still say I don't get how doing an head pack is better?
    I bought 3 Whiplashs because of the 2 heads (one will remain MOC)
    I would have bought 3 Grizzlor if he had the extra face.

Not knowing who, when and if one character will get an extra head in an head pack, I'm not buying 3 of each just in case.
    I could buy an extra one when the head pack is out? Of course not, because they are sold out.

And Mattel sold one figure less (of course not just mine...)

I understand the branding needs, but I think some of the rules can't really apply to the collectors market.
    Especially when, as discussed, we're not talking of 2 of the same character with different styles in the same packaging, but just extra accessories that are more than welcome by collectors.
    Plus, having multiple choices could be something unique to the "brand"
    An added bonus, that woulnd't create any confusion because the target audience is not made by parents, but just by adult collectors

In the case of Grizzlor, why not do him with the other head, repainted clothes and new weapons/accessoires as something like "Jugularian Elder" bonus figure?
    Buzz-Off's 200X head? "Spelean Warrior" bonus figure with similiar modifications.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    I'm also totally for getting 200x stuff in the line.

Having a vintage based and a 200x based head doesn't confuse anyone of the customers. They're just heads, not a different body-type.

It doesn't take the concept or the look away to have a 200x-Whiplash head on a MOTUC body. It works well...

Same with Grizzlor... With that shown 200x faceplate, it would be still a Classics figure...

Besides it would be a reason why I had bought 2 instead of 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Can I still say I don't get how doing an head pack is better?
    I bought 3 Whiplashs because of the 2 heads (one will remain MOC)
    I would have bought 3 Grizzlor if he had the extra face.

Not knowing who, when and if one character will get an extra head in an head pack, I'm not buying 3 of each just in case.
    I could buy an extra one when the head pack is out? Of course not, because they are sold out.

And Mattel sold one figure less (of course not just mine...)
    Unless they don't want to sell you a head pak when they can sell you the entire figure all over--only with it's new 200X head. Here's the difference from merely including it with the traditional head:

While this is not a new idea, (several fans assumed that this would be the case in the future) maybe Mattel heard fans who have mentioned that they prefer to have BODIES to put the alt heads onto, rather than have a whole bunch of unused heads gathering dust in a box somewhere.

And maybe it's nothing, but TG refers to MOTUC as the "online MOTUC line". Could a 200X variant MOTUC retail subline be a possible floated idea like he mentioned that he does frequently in Roast Gooble Dinner? If so....history would be definitely repeating itself.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 10, 2010 at 11:10am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

And maybe it's nothing, but TG refers to MOTUC as the "online MOTUC line". Could a 200X variant MOTUC retail subline be a possible floated idea like he mentioned that he does frequently in Roast Gooble Dinner? If so....history would be definitely repeating itself.
    That would completely contradditct what have been said and done so far.
    Bringing 2002 styling back to reatailers would be foolish.
    No matter what the real reasons of the 2002 line failure are (and we know they are aren't syle issues) here is were branding makes sense.
    Retailers simply won't get a line that is a reash of something that failed not long ago, while they might be more opened to MOTUC as it is now (which I honestly believe is much more kid friendly) so I'd have a really hard time at immagining Mattel even considering something like that.

That would completely contradditct what have been said and done so far.
    Bringing 2002 styling back to reatailers would be foolish.
    No matter what the real reasons of the 2002 line failure are (and we know they are aren't syle issues) here is were branding makes sense.
    Retailers simply won't get a line that is a reash of something that failed not long ago, while they might be more opened to MOTUC as it is now (which I honestly believe is much more kid friendly) so I'd have a really hard time at immagining Mattel even considering something like that.
    Okay, then it's nothing...

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    penny - as an englishman, i have to say that those accents were absolutely incredibly accurate! ... you could, without a doubt, pass for an english lady! ... spot on ... you should try a yorkshire or geordie accent next! we have loads of different twangs and dialects over here! ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch
    Yeah, her upper class English one was pretty good. I'd like to hear her attempt a Liverpool or Birmingham accent.
    Haha, thanks guys! I'd like to learn the different dialects. I might be able to do a very so-so Scouse (Liverpool) accent, but I'd have to practice it and the others a bit before making an attempt. Geordie would be a lot of fun to learn.

RE: Evil Streaks/Ghouls Night Out - The band I mentioned, 'Ghouls Night Out,' has morphed into 'The Evil Streaks' (same lead singer, different band members and new tunes). Both incarnations are awesome: http://www.ghoulsnightout.com/ and http://www.myspace.com/evilstreaks

RE: 200X-inspired heads - It's a shame, because it would be cool to have both options. While I tend to lean toward the vintage heads, I do like the 200x takes on various characters so it is disappointing. A 200X Buzz-Off or Snout Spout head would've been so cool. These different versions would give us more display options and, from a financial standpoint, it makes sense because collectors would buy more figures. On the bright side, it does sound like there will still be some characters with two heads, but they won't technically be called "200x heads."
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 10, 2010 at 11:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I'm also totally for getting 200x stuff in the line.

Having a vintage based and a 200x based head doesn't confuse anyone of the customers. They're just heads, not a different body-type.

It doesn't take the concept or the look away to have a 200x-Whiplash head on a MOTUC body. It works well...

Same with Grizzlor... With that shown 200x faceplate, it would be still a Classics figure...

Besides it would be a reason why I had bought 2 instead of 1...
    Agreed, 200x heads and elements can still be 'Classicized' and the more figures that come with two heads more people will buy two of that figure.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

But collectors who want the MOTUC line to be 200X are going to be dissapointed. This is NOT the 200X line continued. Do we think there are collectors who would support a 200X continuation line, sure! But it is not what we are doing right now.
    But it's not about continuing the 200x line. Maybe a handful of fans here have said they'd love to have the 200x toyline back, but almost all 200x supporters are talking about and want the same thing:
    more 200x design elements (where possible; like with Sy-Klone's ring), weapons and alternate heads in the MOTUC line.
    That's been what folks have clamored for from day one.

To move MOTU as a brand forward, it is important to have one cohesive look for characters right now. The 200X redesigns just don't work for that. As I've said before...they are just retired from the current online MOTUC line.
    I still don't follow this.
    It's an adult line for collectors sold online.
    And the 200x elements thus far IMO have worked just fine.
    In the 4H we trust!

The inclusion of extra heads, 200x design elements, 200x weapons, etc will not disrupt the look and feel of the line.
    Cohesion is what someone labels it.
    And MOTUC is whatever Mattel labels it.

Like we said on the show, if this line ever does go to retail stores?
    Then Mattel can take out the head they don't want. But leave it for adult collectors online.

Is Mattel worried about what look to license if that time ever comes? That's what the licensees styleguide is for.

There is always a workaround. I think whoever is making these calls on 200x needs to start looking at those alternate routes rather than pressing the "no" button at every turn.

Honestly, I think adding in 200X heads as a future box set or variant is a great way to refresh some characters down the road. In a movie year if this line were to go to retail that could possibly be one of many ways we might change around the original releases. Who knows?
    On the plus side, this is a good thing.
    The option for alternative 200x inspired heads still exists, and thank you!

But I don't think Mattel needs a movie to make that happen given the success and sellout of every other item in the MOTUC line.
    So I hope we'll see something like this long before a movie might happen.

Heck, we all know you're a big 200x fan! We all feel confident you have the power to sell it to upper-management.
    If Mattel makes them, fans will buy them!
    Go Scott-Shot power! (Imagine a MOTUC version of yourself with big guns)

My season 3 DVD did not have a mini-comic....was I robbed?
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    My season 3 DVD did not have a mini-comic....was I robbed?
    Only the exclusive (Best Buy? I can't remember) had the printed one.
    The digital version is still on you Vol.3

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    But it's not about continuing the 200x line.

The inclusion of extra heads, 200x design elements, 200x weapons, etc will not disrupt the look and feel of the line.
    Cohesion is what someone labels it.
    And MOTUC is whatever Mattel labels it.

Like we said on the show, if this line ever does go to retail stores?
    Then Mattel can take out the head they don't want. But leave it for adult collectors online.

I agree 100%...

A 200x based head, modernised by the 4HM cannot take away the Classics style.

We have the 200x BASED weapons/accessories from Whiplash, Grizzlor, Tri Klops, Evil Lyn, King Randor, Mer Man, Zodak, etc.
    And we have the 200x techno sword!

All these 200x influenced items/elements don`t change the Classics` concept or style.

To the contrary: Fans would buy more figures!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    But it's not about continuing the 200x line.
    THIS.

I, for one, was very disheartened to see Toy Guru recycling off-the-wall and inapplicable statements we see from a handful of posters across various forums where He-Man is discussed. It's discouraging enough to see such misconceptions coming from other collectors, but from the line's brand manager? Color me a little less hopeful about the future than I was yesterday.

In no way are the 2nd head or 200x element supporters trying to continue the 200x line. That's just silly. We want the figures to be the best they can be and sometimes straight-up vintage doesn't do that. We also want the added value of the extra heads and the 200x alt heads were a fantastic way to add it. The line is worse off for the "no 200x" decision and figures like Buzz-Off are worse for it specifically.

The branding answer is disappointing. By Mattel's own actions, we've been treated to the notion that the lion share of the line's sales are via subscriber. That means that the majority of buyers are like me and have already agreed to buy a figure a year from now - a figure that we won't even know or see what it looks like until 8 months from now. And Mattel is worried about a cohesive look? The majority of the units were sold sixteen months out.

The subscribers agreed to buy these toys sight unseen, so, to me, this is one more belated excuse standing between the collectors and the greatness this line could be achieving instead of being held back by what amounts to retail limitations.

I want to see this line live up to the Adult Collector label and the post-Whiplash 200x decision was and forever will be a step backward.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; December 10, 2010 at 02:24pm.

200X Heads coming with Vintage bodies don't equal 200X figures. Moss Man and Whiplash weren't considered 200X figures.

Only the exclusive (Best Buy? I can't remember) had the printed one.
    The digital version is still on you Vol.3
    Thanks. I'll look for it.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    200X Heads coming with Vintage bodies don't equal 200X figures. Moss Man and Whiplash weren't considered 200X figures.
    This needs to be repeated a bit more.
    I like some 200X elements in MOTUC and I like some vintage Elements in MOTUC. The idea of having OPTIONS is... was the best part about MOTUC.

My Whiplash looks more like his 200X counterpart (After a repaint) yet he uses his vintage spear. My MAA has his mustache face repainted to look more like the Filmation version. (I might strip a guard out of his armor to complete the Filmation look.)

If Mattel needs a definitive look for the brand, shouldn't they make a Style Guide that defines the Definitive look of the characters?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Actually, a "head pack" is one of the least likely things to happen. We did propose this and management did put the definitive kabash on it feeling it was a bit morbid to have a group of heads in a package without a "body" as well as feeling it was not the best use of resources. (on the second part I agree knowing what limited resources we have and how intensive heads can be with so many paint ops)

Originally we actually talked about making Prince Adam's extra head the SDCC give-away (like Gleek) but much like a "head pack" this was also thought to be a bit morbid (a head in a bag...yeah, I can see that)

If we do 200X heads they will be with a figure. After all, we need to save things for key refreshes down the line.

So for those wanting 200X heads, keep the chant going. For those wanting a head pack, that I can pretty much tell you will never happen.

TG

If we do 200X heads they will be with a figure. After all, we need to save things for key refreshes down the line.

So for those wanting 200X heads, keep the chant going. For those wanting a head pack, that I can pretty much tell you will never happen.

TG
    We certainly WILL. Thanks for chiming in.

200X Variants of Characters Thread
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 10, 2010 at 06:14pm.

Wow, Prince Adam head being an SDCC exclusive like Gleek would not have gone over well.

..Originally we actually talked about making Prince Adam's extra head the SDCC give-away (like Gleek) but much like a "head pack" this was also thought to be a bit morbid (a head in a bag...yeah, I can see that)..
    Thank goodness for Mattel Management !!!

..I know it sounds corny
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Originally we actually talked about making Prince Adam's extra head the SDCC give-away (like Gleek) but much like a "head pack" this was also thought to be a bit morbid (a head in a bag...yeah, I can see that)
    For once I'm glad that Mattel Management stopped that idea... They did it for the wrong reasons, but I am thankful for it.

TG
    GIVE ME 200X HEADS! (and some weapons too! like the 200X Half Swords)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

TG
    Yeesh, we dodged a bullet there. In future, can you try to avoid choosing essential items for SDCC exclusives? Everytime I look at my DC collection i'm reminded of those vital missing pieces that I will probably never own: Gleek and the Starro spores. I do not want the same thing to happen with Masters.

Vanishing Orko was a good exclusive, as the regular version was relatively easy to obtain. I consider Adam's extra head vital to my collection, and I wouldn't like him nearly as much if he didn't have it.

Eamon, I'm pretty sure Faker was cheaper than Clamp Champ (presuming a sticker is cheaper than a new head and action-feature weapon).

EPISODE 028
    Runtime: 1 hour, 45 minutes, 44 seconds
    Fan Art of the Week: nightwing.'s whispering woods romance
    Fan Site of the Week: Super Toy Archive
    Collectible of the Week: None this episode.

Discussion: He-Man MOTUC figure (continued).

Items of Note:
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley