Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Figures you'd ELIMINATE / CHANGE & why...

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar

MOTUC Figures you'd ELIMINATE / CHANGE & why...

Staring at my collection tonight and am again shocked at how much this line has grown. I love them all for so many reasons but there are a few I'd be fine never having or changing drastically for my MOTUC collection. I wondered what you all thought? For me it would be:

LEAST FAVORITE - Standar - I wish he wasn't canon. I get why they did the figure, business partnership, etc. but I wish they had NOT made him canon. I'm down with a a character to go with his bio and a figure, but would NOT have him named after Stan Lee and would change the head sculpt. I would not own or display this figure as it is right now if it wasn't part of the official MOTUC canon.

Fighting Foe Men - I just have zero interest in this trio, in figure design and in the MOTUC canon. If they played a bigger role in the MOTUC canon that would have helped.

Sky High - Again, zero interest in the figure design and role character plays in the MOTUC canon. Same thing here - if Sky High played a bigger role in the MOTUC canon, I may feel differently.

That's it - there are others that I don't necessarily like the figure design of, but I love their role in the canon or vice versa. What do you think?
    Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; March 16, 2015 at 07:57am.

Heroic Warrior
    There isn't a single one of them I would eliminate.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Karg, Andros, Monstroid, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    I like Sky High and the Foe Men, they feel like they could have been vintage figures, just like Vikor, Vykron, etc.

I agree on Standor, I can't stand the guy (no pun intended).

I'm not a 200X or an N.A. fan, but I accept we got AWESOME figures like C. Marzo, Optikk, Dekker, Slush Head, etc. (and I already subbed for Club 200X).

I guess it would reduce only to Standor and Plundor (I hate the character and the figure), oh, and any other Filmation guy (like Garth or Kol-Darr) would have been better than Sir Loser-Lot and ANY other guy instead of M. Spector.

Batros: i wish the 4H were able to update him and not give him those stupid wings on his triceps.

Sky High: very generic

Lizard Man: needs more detail

Queen Marlena: her eyes do not match the rest of the line

Roboto: crappy qc And needs an update

Honestly, i wish the entire line had Kulatak level detailing. The bland aesthetic is not my favorite. I love the over detailing 200X gave us.

I wouldn't eliminate any character from MOTUC.

There are a few figures I would change slightly, like giving Mantenna the vintage bloodshot eyes or flocking Panthor, but that's about it.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Id eliminate
    All NA except he man and skeletor
    All 200x except faceless one and king greyskull
    Fighting foe men
    Snake man at arms
    Griffin
    Spector
    The star sisters wrong deco they went with
    Eldor
    Gorpo
    Snake face
    King he man
    Flying fists he man
    He-ro
    Vykron
    Vikor
    Bg evil Lyn
    Cy chop
    Sir laser lot
    Hurricane Hordak
    Buzz saw hordak

Fix
    Frosta white paint better head and hair

Hordak come with filmation cowl armor and head

He man and all he man variants would have always come with the vintage head shipping with oolar

Entrapta in her filmation deco to match rest of pop gals looks
    Last edited by degra; March 14, 2015 at 03:16am.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    LEAST FAVORITE - Standar - I wish he wasn't canon. I get why they did the figure, business partnership, etc. but I wish they had NOT made him canon. I'm down with a a character to go with his bio and a figure, but would NOT have him named after Stan Lee and would change the head sculpt. I would not own or display this figure as it is right now if it wasn't part of the official MOTUC canon.
    That thing is about as genuinely "MOTU canon" as a spoon is singularly responsible for making people overweight.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; March 14, 2015 at 03:44am.
    Made it through Cyber Monday with everything I wanted, well, almost.

Heroic Warrior
    Oi, I think I'd actually change a lot. Ignoring obvious things like QC issues and blatant design bungles (e.g. Sorceress' wings);

Get rid of Fighting Foe Men. I don't hate them, but they were just really unnecessary.

Ditto Sky High. Plus, it seems pretty clear a lot of people would have bought more Skysleds without him.

Ditto Vykron. We already had Vikor, and the 2 alternate suits just don't appeal to me at all. Plus, they didn't even give him a good story.

Stratos should have had at least one grasping hand.

All characters with "skirts" (including males like Dekkar and Randor) should have had slits to allow for leg movement.

BG Evil Lyn obviously should have had a new tunic. I don't even hate the figure, but seriously, you're making a variant already, may as well go all the way.

Snake MAA should have come with a non-snake head.

Nepthu should actually look like he did on the show.

Shokoti should have an open mouth with fangs. I mean, it's a fairly distinctive feature of hers, I don't see why you'd leave it out, especially since so many of the other females in the line are showing their teeth.

Hydron should have a removable face mask.

The Star Sisters should have been in toy colors.

I wish Leech had a bit of a different head sculpt and some detailing on his hands.

I actually would have preferred Ram Man to be more the size of the other figures. I really don't think it was necessary for them to make him super bulky ala 200x, especially since they didn't do that with Beast Man or Clawful.

Marlena does indeed need better eyes.

I really can't see any reason they couldn't give Eternos Randor a bicep swivel.

The first release of King Hiss could have just been done better on many levels.

Filmation Hordak, in addition to having the Filmation head, should have also had the bone cowl and both arms removable. And I really don't understand why his gun arm wasn't made compatible with the Hurricane Hordak parts (and, by extension, all of the other arm parts in the line).

The giants should have ball jointed shoulders. I mean, seriously, basic swivels on a modern action figure? Are you kidding? Hasbro's Frost Giant is the same size and makes these things look cheap as hell.

While I don't loathe them the way some people do, I do think Spector and Laser Lot could have been designed better (especially Laser Lot, who is a very plain figure, when you get down to it).

Loo-kee's head is just way too big.

I would have made Entrapta's hair hollow so that it didn't weigh her down so obviously.

Bendy tentacles for Octavia (I mean, duh).

Double Trouble should have been made with swappable face plates or heads or something. I mean, really, she looks terrible. Even for the people who don't hate what Mattel did with her, about the best they can say is "she looks okay as long as you don't look at her face too closely in direct light." That's not actually very flattering, if you think about it.

I would have applied some sort of shading or metallic highlights (or anything, really) to make Sy-Klone a little less bright yet flat looking.

Castle Grayskull should have included some sort of plug for the stupid hole in the floor. Or just left out the hole completely (seriously, how many people have a Wind Raider parked in their CG? Or even a Skysled?).

I also honestly never cared much for the original She-Ra face sculpt. Not sure what happened there (I've heard Erik Treadway say he could have sworn he just sent Mattel the same sculpt as Adora), but I would have touched her up a bit. Also Frosta, but that's kind of an obvious one.

Overall though, I have been pretty happy with this line.
    Last edited by Freefall; March 14, 2015 at 04:03am.

I could have done without these:

Fighting Foe Men
    NA She-Ra
    200x Evil-Lynn
    Spector
    Laser-Lot
    Cy-Chop
    The different Man-At-Arms versions
    Spirit of Hordak
    Spirit of Grayskull
    Vykron
    Standor
    Filmation Hordak
    Sky-High
    Nepthu
    Faceless One
    Griffin
    200x He-Man and King Hiss

Only Spector and Standor, everyone else is good.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Heroic Warrior
    Mo-Larr and the accompanying Skeletor are the obvious choice. With the exception of NA Skeletor, I dislike all the NA figures. A lot of the POP faces and designs are very similar and look like variations on the same model. Sir Laser-Lot was a total waste. Cy-Chop could have been brilliant but the ludicrous over-sizing of the hands ruined an otherwise nice figure. Nepthu was just plain boring.

But overall the good outweighs the bad massively. Obviously I like the vintage and minicomic characters best, but I've really liked new figures too. Castle Grayskullman was a touch of genius. Sky High is a great tribute to the almost overlooked details of the vintage era. The Horde girls are great. Even POP - where there are some distinctive features - has impressed me at times.

- - - Updated - - -

Mo-Larr and the accompanying Skeletor are the obvious choice. With the exception of NA Skeletor, I dislike all the NA figures. A lot of the POP faces and designs are very similar and look like variations on the same model. Sir Laser-Lot was a total waste. Cy-Chop could have been brilliant but the ludicrous over-sizing of the hands ruined an otherwise nice figure. Nepthu was just plain boring.

But overall the good outweighs the bad massively. Obviously I like the vintage and minicomic characters best, but I've really liked new figures too. Castle Grayskullman was a touch of genius. Sky High is a great tribute to the almost overlooked details of the vintage era. The Horde girls are great. Even POP - where there are some distinctive features - has impressed me at times.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Among the Filmation guys, I'd change Nepthu and Plundor and replace them with Sunder and Vultak.
    I'd use NA She-ra's slot (though she' good looking) for Hunga.
    I'd include Granita with her fellow Comet Warriors.
    I'd replace that boring Standor figure with Lodar.
    I'd use the SDCC 2012 slot for King Miro rather than Vykron.
    As for "new characters" like Sir Laser Lot and Cy-Chop, I'd release Fang-or or Despera rather than these two...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: King Miro / Hawke / Dakon / Delora
    Evil: Evilseed / Lodar
    POP: King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian / Crita

The Fighting Foe Men - meshing a rejected concept name with background characters from box art was really scraping the barrel. While I'd give them props for making one female, the names of all three really are terrible. TG was kind of applying the same kind of narcissistic logic to the MOTUC creative team comes across as egotistical and means nothing to the fans. (Same goes for Huntara's real name, if it was done as a shout-out to the immensely talented Tara Z)

Vikor - another rejected He-Man concept. Why do we need so many?

Vykron - ditto above. He and his different suits were rejected for a very good reason - they are and always were more Action Man/GI Joe than MOTU.

Demo-Man - triple ditto. Over time, MYP's origin of Skeletor has become accepted by the fan community. I highly doubt the same will be said for Demo-Man. Skeletor's sacrifice to Hordak was a far more powerful plot. Design-wise, Demo-Man is fine. As an original character, I wouldn't sniff at him absolutely.

Star Sisters - the only POP characters I don't own. TG's obsession with releasing unreleased figures missed the mark with the Star Sisters. Not only were they painted in the wrong decos, but they were released way too soon. At the time, POP fans were chomping at the bit to add Castaspella, Glimmer and Frosta to their Great Rebellion shelves. I don't think the Star Sisters did much to please anyone.

30th Anniversary figures - aside from Drago-Man, these figures were a massive failure to me. Touted as a nod to the 80s contest, it was nice for Photog to be made after all these years (even if the design is horrible). Castle Grayskullman was a decent idea for a figure, but shouldn't have won, IMO. I would've prefrered creativity and originality to win out over something that essentially took advantage of one of MOTU's most iconic images to grab Mattel's attention. Clever though it was as a marketing vehicle, I would've preferred something more original. And don't get me started on Laser-Lot and Spector. I'll be glad once these minicomics are over and we never have to see either of them again.

Standor- obvious reasons, stated above.

Battleground Teela and Evil-Lyn - at the time, I couldn't believe we were getting variants of the main female characters, while secondary ones were getting shafted. I'd include BP She-Ra in this, except she at least have us a better costume for She-Ra.

Unnamed One - like Demo-Man, the character doesn't look bad, but the mystery angle and tenuous connection to the vintage Powers of Grayskull comic made this figue fall immensely flat.

GP She-Ra - yawn. I love She-Ra, but what a boring, unnecessary variant. I imagine she was planned before Mara won the fan vote. If Tuskador or Darius had won, I guarantee she'd be the only female Galactic Protector. And she was part of Club Etheria, yet had no connection to vintage POP or had ever even been on Etheria. Why not give us Granita or Vultak instead?

Nepthu - he never appeared in fan polls. He was never a favoured custom. His supposed popularity was a blatant lie either to get a cheap figure out there or because 'Temple of the Sun' was one of the only He-Man episodes TG remembered watching as a child. Nepthu was another vanity project and took up a slot that could have easily gone to Dylamug, Hawke, Hunga or any of the other fan-demanded Filmation characters we may never see as a result.

Ghost of King Grayskull - who asked for him? Do we have to tie a figure that can 'disappear' into the Chase slot? Why not ditch the slot and give fans a character they've been asking for for yonks. I hear Lodar needs very little tooling either...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Eliminate
    Fighting Foe Men
    Mighty Spector
    Sir Laser-Lot
    Cy-Chop
    The Unnamed One
    Horde Prime
    Spirit of Hordak
    Spirit of King Grayskull
    Vykron
    Standor
    Mo-Larr
    Sky-High

Change
    Battleground Evil-Lyn (200X leotard)
    Failmation Hordak (Filmation head, blue torso and correct show accurate armor)
    Frosta (Needs to be white colored, not gray and Filmartion accurate)
    Sea Hawk (Fat Armor)
    NA Skeletor (Fat Armor to sculpted torso--since when is skin armor?)
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor's dragon
    Hydron (Fat Armor and needed an unhelmeted head)

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'd eliminate:

Standor
    Mo-Larr
    Battleground Teela
    Snake Man-at-Arms
    Nepthu
    Cy-Chop
    The Unnamed One
    The Mighty Spector
    Plundor
    Demo-Man
    Sky High
    Vikor
    Spirit of King Grayskull
    Spirit of Hordak
    White Sorceress
    200x King Hisss
    Dekker
    Chief Carnivus
    Ceratus
    King Chooblah
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List: FILMATION MER-MAN, Vultak, Hunga, Laser-Light Skeletor, Great Black Wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    There isn't a single one of them I would eliminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I wouldn't eliminate any character from MOTUC.
    Same here. There are a few I would change, but none that I would eliminate.

Off the top of my head, I would have changed:

Filmation Hordak - would have come with Filmation accurate head
    Prince Adam - would have had Filmation colors
    Cringer - more articulation
    UNO - would have been Gorpo
    Stratos - would have had closed hand
    Frosta - white needed to be whiter (not gray)
    Fat Armor - would have eliminated ALL fat armor (Hydron, NA Skelly, Seahawk, etc)
    King Hiss - vintage Snake Form would have had more snakes

MOST WANTED:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, NA Prince Adam, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Illumina, Crita, Dylamug, 200X Prince Adam, Songster, Filmation Evil Seed & Marzo, Stridor, Night Stalker, & Snake Mountain.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

I would eliminate the following:
    The Fighting Foe Men
    Fearless Photog
    Gygor
    Battleground Teela
    Thunder Punch He-Man
    Mo-Larr
    The Star Sisters

I would change the following:
    Frosta - real white costume and new head sculpt
    Teela - waist articulation added
    Sorceress - New Wings engineering
    King Grayskull - Would make him look more like cartoon (armor, belt).
    Modulok - Would add removable purple and black armor like the cartoon.

There's quite a few:
    Standar - eliminate completely, replace with Lord Masque.
    Sky High- I love the Fighting Foe Men, but feel like Sky High missed the mark somehow. I guess I don't really like the Wind Raider wing weapon on his back? The colors so do not go together and it just looks really dumb on him, IMO. Plus, I know he's not officially a FFM, but we all know he's a vehicle pilot just like them and has the same origin (created for a poster or box art with no other background), so it would have been neat to see him use the same shtick- having a swappable Horde emblem.
    Nepthu- don't mind his inclusion, it's just that he was so poorly executed. That face sculpt is so unlike his Filmation appearance, and I wasn't impressed by his accessories.
    Sir Laser Lot- he looks like someone they cheaped out on from head to toe. Not opposed to the name or the concept of the character, but his color scheme looks so flat and there's such a lack of detail... compare this "knight" character to your Snake Armor He-Man figure. This is a figure who should look armored up but does not. At all. Missed opportunity.
    Horde Prime- if he was never made, I would have never noticed. Especially since I'm not a fan of the concept of Hordak working under anyone to begin with. I like the UK comics head sculpt and have mish-mashed parts to create a new character, but in his place I would have rather have had Vultak.
    Cy-Chop- again, like Sir Laser Lot, there's just something about his execution that is completely lacking. I like the idea of this guy, but I can not pose him and NOT have him look awkward there on the shelf. Not sure what I would have done differently (smaller blades? Not using the Beast Man legs? Include ankle pivots? Give his head some paint apps or shading?) but as he stands (no pun intended), I guess I could have done without this guy, too.
    Palace Guards- I went gaga over these upon their release and bought a ton, but as the line draws to an end, I kinda wish we had another, different colored Snake Men army builder pack instead of them. I don't think my collection would have looked empty without a half dozen Palace Guards... and maybe they could have just included ONE with the front half of the Battle Ram instead of Sky High and I would have been happy?
    Tytus- again, not opposed to the concept of a giant, but mine can't even stand up correctly due to warped legs and the articulation here is sooo poorly done. He should have been a 12" version of a 6" figure and priced accordingly. The rotocast feel just feels so... cheap. And the weapon here is completely useless.
    Megator- slightly better than Tytus because, well, he's evil and just looks cooler. But again, same complaints about all of the lack of articulation.
    Procrustus- his sculpt is amazing, but he holds Eternia together. What use in my MOTUverse do I have for an action figure of this?
    King Grayskull- seeing how Veena and SA He-Man and BA Hiss have turned out, I have to say the versions of King Grayskull we have received looks incredibly lackluster by comparison. I am now only a fan of the GITD variant, and I don't even have it yet.
    Double Trouble- wish she had come out more like the prototype. She was a major disappointment and I had been waiting decades for Mattel to take another crack at her.
    Entrapta- I was more excited about her last year, but these days I'm thinking something here is off, too. It doesn't help that the joints on mine are pretty loose, her hands are really gummy and can't hold weapons tightly... wish she'd been given more care to, overall.
    Rokkon & Stonedar- the color schemes on them are incredibly spot-on. How they handled the rock features is completely the opposite. Wish they had stopped these guys at some point in the production process and just gone back to the drawing board with both of them (and any future Comet Warriors).
    Battle Lion- no use whatsoever, wish it had been Clawdeen instead.
    Catra- my current figure feels like a crappy stand-in for a proper toy-accurate Catra. She's a good sculpt and does look like Filmation, but is hindered by the lack of waist articulation, loose joints, and I just don't plain care for her Filmation design.
    Teela- a beautiful figure that lacks waist articulation and kinda suffers for it.
    Evil-Lyn- ditto.
    Queen Marlena- like how they handled her, design-wise but hate how the head looks. The eyes just look so wrong to me and spoil the figure.
    The Star Sisters- these should have been done differently. There's nothing particularly wrong with the fact that they went with the style guide designs, it's just that they are lacking quality paint apps and highlights and that makes them look REALLY plastic and cheap (which is ironic, because they weren't at $75 for the set!!!). Tallstar is a ragdoll and can't even stand up or be posed properly, so she should have been done with more care. Additional weapons or shields would have helped these gals a lot, too. Mostly though, it's the garish colors (especially on Starla) where some paint apps or shading or something could have made them look better.
    Cringer- don't like that they just shoved this in with Marlena and therefore is not the right size and you can't really do anything with him because he's a solid piece.
    Battleground Teela- I love this look for her, but her head sculpt is the worst female face in the entire line. She doesn't look like Teela, she doesn't even look GOOD. I'm not even sure a different paint application would have saved this one.
    Last edited by zodak74; March 14, 2015 at 10:21am.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Dear everyone who has a list of characters to eliminate,

I am so, so glad that you are not in charge of the line.

I must really have some terrible tastes in figures that I like.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

I would eliminate NA and just pretend it never happened. Actually I'm fine with most everything else. I would change a few but not eliminate the character completely. Besides the line isn't catering to the individual but to the group as a whole and we all have very different tastes. For the record I love Standor. Having a MOTUC of Stan Lee is epic to me. He's been one of my heroes since I was knee high to a grasshopper!

Errrrrr....Dekker and Snake MAA. These are the worst of the bunch followed by the lion dude from 200X.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    I'm a MotU fan. I wouldn't eliminate any of them. The MotUC Canon is meaningless to me in my enjoyment of...pretty much anything. Every figure that's been released has a place for me.

As far as changing, only a handful fell short, and those were really small details: http://thefwoosh.com/2015/01/not-so-...nd-improvement
    Motu short short stories.

Motu Mini-comic

Public service announcement: Use of the term muppet head to describe any vintage head is not an insult, because muppets are awesome, and you're wrong. We now return you to your regularly scheduled something something.

Quote Originally Posted by hoover View Post
    Errrrrr....Dekker and Snake MAA. These are the worst of the bunch followed by the lion dude from 200X.
    Yeah, all of those ones are junk. Also, the Star Sisters and most of the 30th line
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I would eliminate all NA except She-Ra.
    Eliminate Standar, replace him with Kirb-Or!
    Eliminate The Mighty Spector.
    Eliminate Sir Lasor-Lot.
    Eliminate Cy-Chop.
    Eliminate Fearless Photog.

Get rid off all of the fat suits on characters like Sea Hawk.

Give Hordak a Filmation Head.

Re-do Nephtu, make him more detailed.

Re-do Double Trouble, and re-do her head with 2 alternate heads.

Re-do The Star Sisters and let Org member Tallstar advise the design team.

Re-do The Goddess and Roboto, so they don't fall apart!

Replace the static Cringer with a fully articulated version.

Make Evil Gorpo just a monthly figure and give the fans Snake Mountain Man as the Unnamed One!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Dear everyone who has a list of characters to eliminate,

I am so, so glad that you are not in charge of the line.

I must really have some terrible tastes in figures that I like.
    I think that all the time, that I'm glad the people on this forum don't run the line.
    You don't have terrible taste, they do
    It's funny how in one thread people will decry how 'vintage purists' are trying to take things away from them, and then boldly declare in another thread what they would willingly take from other fans. How about just leaving everything be? There's a lot of great figures listed in here, I guess there's no accounting for taste.