Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 200X Variants of Characters Thread

Hybrid View

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

200X Variants of Characters Thread

According to Toyguru, 200X head pak is too morbid and won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Actually, a "head pack" is one of the least likely things to happen. We did propose this and management did put the definitive kabash on it feeling it was a bit morbid to have a group of heads in a package without a "body" as well as feeling it was not the best use of resources. (on the second part I agree knowing what limited resources we have and how intensive heads can be with so many paint ops)

Originally we actually talked about making Prince Adam's extra head the SDCC give-away (like Gleek) but much like a "head pack" this was also thought to be a bit morbid (a head in a bag...yeah, I can see that)

If we do 200X heads they will be with a figure. After all, we need to save things for key refreshes down the line.

So for those wanting 200X heads, keep the chant going. For those wanting a head pack, that I can pretty much tell you will never happen.

TG
    As everyone can see, the man himself has said "keep the chant going". Thus, we have this thread to gather these chants. So chant, chant, chant, 200X fans!

This thread is for fan voices to be heard if you want Classicized 200X heads on these MOTUC figures that were affected by Mattel's "No More 200X Heads" policy that they passed in August 2010:

200X heads we are missing in Classics:
    Buzz-Off
    Sy-Klone
    Grizzlor
    Clawful
    Snout Spout
    Rattlor
    Unfortunately, as more vintage characters are revealed they might be added to the list.

The characters below were originally on the list, but are really different cases.

Roboto is more of a case of a different variant altogether, the WMD Roboto from MYP.
    Faceless One needs a better face, which could come with an upcoming Evil-Lyn variant.
    Although 200X heads are usually the most requested of the alternate heads, this thread can also help champion alternate heads PERIOD, such as a Bruce Timm King Hsss head or a helmeted Netossa head. So this thing isn't only about 200X alternate heads, but those of any figure that Mattel missed out on for whatever reason.

Alternate heads we are missing in Classics:
    Blonde Teela w Ponytail
    Unhelmeted Man-At-Arms
    Bruce Timm King Hsss
    Filmation Frosta
    Helmeted Netossa
    As many fans have suggested, they want actual bodies to come with those heads, rather than the heads that they aren't using are gathering dust somewhere.

Who else is down to get those alternate heads of Roboto, Sy-Klone, Buzz-Off, Grizzlor, Clawful and other upcoming figures who have 200X heads?

Here's who is chanting for variants with a 200X head --95 of us. If I've missed anyone, let me know and I'll add you!

²He-Ro
    Agent Gibbs
    Aramis
    Barezz
    Barnster
    Battle_Brak
    BCreviews4628
    Berserker79
    bezem
    Bulkhide
    cayman shen
    CicconeSC
    claw guy 3
    CocoaSmooth
    colt44
    dagodfather
    Daniel Lynch
    Dark Sorceress
    Darkspecter
    DarthFaker
    dedset13
    DemoMan
    DJ Force
    DO4M
    dorrmann
    Dragonblaster
    dr phiz
    Eric
    Eternian Poet
    evenflow
    fball13z
    flitzi
    Flor2099
    FROSTYTALL1
    gatchagrey
    General Hawk 7
    GigaMach
    GLJossan
    He-Dad
    hlinhk128
    HordeMonkey
    iceman51880
    illicitjedi
    jerec350
    JorReno
    kalel0201
    Kevenn
    kinggreyskull2011
    KingRandor82
    kup
    kylun flac
    Lay Ze-Man
    lipster
    lorde trooper
    Mamblo
    marndt8448
    Masamune
    MasterCollector
    MegaGearMax
    Mechthild
    mossyman
    motufan425
    MrRoboto
    Mr_Yuck
    NagAAsi
    Neo
    Niki
    orbles
    Piccolo Daimaoh
    Prahvus
    PrinceAdam101
    RavenousPuma
    Romer
    Sabretooth
    SAMURAI36
    sephron13
    Shecky
    skeletom
    skully
    Staff Of Ka
    synthalus
    Swanmarsh
    T-man
    The Butler
    Thrawn29
    TJRules
    TUC138
    VaultsofGrayskull
    Viper Steve
    Vlcan
    warrenpeace2012
    wolfsfang
    Yogopop
    Zodach

There would have been more fans added to the list above if Toyguru mentioned that the bodies could have some new elements as well to further justify purchasing any of these variants.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 15, 2014 at 08:05am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I want those alternate heads. So CHANT! CHANT! CHANT!
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Grizzlor, Buzz-Off and Sy-Klone will have to be more than just the same figure with a 200x inspired head for me to buy them again.

I am for extra heads in the first release, but unless the figure is remarkably different, MOTU King Hsss/200x King Hsss, then I don't see the reason to do a 200x variant of an MOTUC figure.

Just put the 200x/variant/new design/modern head in with figure as a second head. Problem solved

I would've preferred to get both Buzz-Off's at once like I did Whiplash, but if a MO2K Buzz-Off is out there in the future on the line, then sign me up.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

What do I want? 200X HEADS! When do I want them? ASAP!
    But NOT AS SDCC Con attendee EXCLUSIVES!!
    Call them "Upgrade packs" toss an Alternate head (not necessarily 200X in some cases) with a few repainted weapons/armor.
    We're ADULTS and THIS IS AN ADULT ORIENTED COLLECTORS LINE. We can accept a head pack and not be terrified of it. I could understand the morbidness of a head pack if the line was aimed at children...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I still think the reason the 200x heads were stopped is so Mattel can "refresh the figure down the line"

What I read out of this is Mattel are going to bleed the colletors so they buy the same figure again, except this time it has a 200x head.

It is the Malibu Stacy business plan

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I think that deserved repeating.

SDCC exclusives should be repaints only. Not new sculpts.

SDCC Logo He-Ro and Colour Change Orko were fine choices for exclusives. The DC ones (Gleek and the Starro spores) were not.

If you're going to spend money tooling new sculpts, then everyone should be able to buy them, not just convention attendees.

I'm all for 200x styled figures being released as variants. Hell, that's what they are. I'd definitely buy a figure over again for that.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I think that deserved repeating.

SDCC exclusives should be repaints only. Not new sculpts.

SDCC Logo He-Ro and Colour Change Orko were fine choices for exclusives. The DC ones (Gleek and the Starro spores) were not.

If you're going to spend money tooling new sculpts, then everyone should be able to buy them, not just convention attendees.
    I think this bears reprating again.

Con Exclusives are fantastic souvenirs for those who can get there, but most people can't or don't have the interest in the con to justify flying out there. You end up with the choice to pay a huge price or travel somewhere to buy a toy's head, or a monkey or whatever. Add to that the fact that Matty Madness left me paying extra somewhere else just to get a regular Orko.

I think they've done a fantastic job making the MOTUC SDCC exclusives special without fans who missed them feeling like there's a hole in their collection. Something like Gleek bugged me to thw point where I didn't even bother with the very well done Wonder Twins, and at this point I probably never will. The 4 200x con exclusives didn't kill the line for me, but I probably didn't try so hard to track down some of the later tough to find figures since the exclusives would always leave my collection somewhat incomplete. Plus, the whiny fanboy in me is a bit frustrated that we have the restrictions of tooling costs, meanwhile a limited uniquely tooled one time item is given away as a gift for those who can afford the time and cash for the luxury of a con. No slight against those who make it there or Mattel, since it is still a very cool treat for fans.

It's good to hear that 200X heads aren't completely out of the question. I guess it depends on the character and how radically different their designs were 8 years ago. I say go for it when it makes sense. Fisto? Two Heads. King Hsss? Totally different figure and the upcoming version was probably pricey enough to produce as is. Sy-Clone? Tough call on if an extra head would look right on its own and he has a surprising amount of new tooling.

Let's see some 200x bonus accessories though, heads or no heads. The fan demanded Keldor swords would be a great pack in for an accessory-light character.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Call them "Upgrade packs" toss an Alternate head (not necessarily 200X in some cases) with a few repainted weapons/armor.
    We're ADULTS and THIS IS AN ADULT ORIENTED COLLECTORS LINE. We can accept a head pack and not be terrified of it. I could understand the morbidness of a head pack if the line was aimed at children...
    LOL. I agree. I ain't afraid of no heads.
    "Mind bottling, isn't it?"
    -Chazz Michael Michaels

http://www.patrickgarone.com

http://www.twitter.com/patrickgarone

Join the Facebook Group for my book, City of the Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Grizzlor, Buzz-Off and Sy-Klone will have to be more than just the same figure with a 200x inspired head for me to buy them again.

I am for extra heads in the first release, but unless the figure is remarkably different, MOTU King Hsss/200x King Hsss, then I don't see the reason to do a 200x variant of an MOTUC figure.

Just put the 200x/variant/new design/modern head in with figure as a second head. Problem solved

I hate when companies try to "double-dip". The only one that seems to get me to keep doing it, is George Lucas, and that will continue when Star Wars gets a blu-ray release.

We were told reissues would not get any new sculpting done on any figures that were previously released. If the "refreshers" is something different, it's still not OK with me.

If it is ok to stick a 200x head on a Classics figure body and sell it for $20 a pop later, then why is it not ok now.......other than the fact that Mattel wouldn't get another $20 if it included the 2nd head with the original figure release?

This is my straight-up message to Mattel. If you look at my sig, you know that I really like the extra 200x heads that HAVE BEEN included. Because of the all-in sub.....adding the cost of the beasts and the bonus figures....which could include variants of already released characters that I wouldn't want, you forced me to eliminate one of my subs, and now with the removal of the extra heads.........I'm more than happy that I did.

While I like the modern head look, if they are not included in the original figure's release, then I WILL NOT buy the "refresher".

One figure of each character is all that I need, and even if don't get the "ultimate" figure of a certain character, I'll still have that character. I just think that Mattel should live up to their bargain of guaranteeing us the "ultimate" figure of MOTU characters.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I agree that simply rehashing the original figures with nothing new except a 200x-inspired head will be lame.

Let's take Buzz-Off for example.
    IMO, if they want to "refresh" Buzz-Off, don't just give us one new head on the same old figure.

Here's how I'd do it:

• Slight repaint (nothing gaudy) such as the yellows being a little more muted, the dark body stripes more tannish, have the wings be more opaque painted as opposed to translucent, that sort of thing

• Include not only a 200x-inspired Buzz-Off head, but a 2nd head that could essentially double as Stingrad or another Andreenid

• Scrap the vintage axe

•*Use Sy-Klone's loincloth

• New hands if possible

Not saying this is 100% set-in-stone how they should do it, although I did call Zodak before he was revealed.

But at least this way, those who already have the 1st Buzzy wouldn't feel like they were re-buying him, and those who passed initially would still get what could be a relatively neutral "regular" Buzz-Off without worries of neon-redeco'd paint ops or whatever.

And heck, I'm sure most fans would even be perfectly fine if the 200x-ish Buzz-Off head were "packed out to the side" hidden from view, and actually CALL the release "Stingrad" or whoever. At least this would show an active effort on the part of Mattel to work with fans and not just go for the quick buck every time.

But this kind of philosophy could be applied to any kind of "Modern Refresh" (I really wanna move away from saying 200x, LOL) they might do.

200x color scheme Evil-Lyn could be released as "Evelyn Powers" with a young, helmetless head and a purple repaint of the original head as well.

200x-inspired He-Man could be interpreted to be yet another He-Man in the pantheon, and given a unique head sculpt (like Vikor, for example) to be a completely new character.

Or if that's so offensive, then tie it into the MOTUC bios (which we know are so precious) and make "200x He-Man" just a "Battle Training Prince Adam" in an entirely new costume, but including the parts like a new head sculpt for fans to be able to piece together a satisfying 200x He-Man. And in the bio, just make it Adam before he finds both halves of the Power Sword.

Or WHATEVER.

There are literally HUNDREDS of ways to do cool releases that don't depend entirely on being an uncreative rehash of the vintage figures. If only Mattel would give any of 'em a chance.

It's the same mentality as Castle Grayskull. Why sell a diorama, when you can sell a whole playset. Here, it's why sell a head pack, when you can repeatedly sell entire figures.

For a Modern/200X Buzz-Off, I'd like:
    - New Head
    - New Hands
    - New Legs

Put those on the first BO Body and like Lay Ze-Man said, give us a Stingrad head as well and BAM! you've got an awesome Modern/200X toy that people would possibly buy 2 of.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Heroic Warrior
    I want some 200x heads, too...I´m okay to buy a new whole figure

I hear online petitions work wonders...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainboy View Post
    I hear online petitions work wonders...
    Don't I know it. Fortunately, the man himself told us to do this above. I highlighted it so that all the fans who don't like petitions or support threads can see that Toyguru told us that this is what was needed.

200x heads for the win!
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    CHANT CHANT CHANT! But yeah, really I think it'd be awesome to have 200X stuff!

Only if the tooling is more than just a head for some refreshes. I will not buy a 200X Buzz-Off figure if the only diference is a head they could have just packed in with the figure and same goes for Grizzlor, Sy-Klone or any of the other only head is the difference. I want legimate variants for my figures, not BA Armor Skeletor, Scuba Teela and such. I moreso would prefer Snake Armor He-Man since he wore that armor in some sort of media, unlike BA He-Man. Captain Randor is another worthy variant as is NA He-Man/Skeletor. the rest if they come in my sub WILL be sold off as they are not seen as necessary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    As many fans have suggested, they want actual bodies to come with those heads, rather than the heads gathering dust somewhere.

I don't have a problem with that.

Who else is down with this to get those alternate heads of Roboto, Sy-Klone, Buzz-Off, Grizzlor and other upcoming figures?
    I don't have a problem with that, either. I'm all for it, and I'll buy the figures again to get 200X versions (not just heads but paint opps and weapons, too). They're truly unique interpretations of the characters and deserve their own figures.

A head pack would be cool, but it's never been tops on my list. I'd prefer a new figure (again, paint opp and weapons) with a new head to just a new head to put on the figure I already have.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    If this means we finally get the variant heads for Grizzlor and Buzz Off, i'm all for it. I don't quite get the whole "we think the the head packs are morbid" thing frankly. It's an adult collectors line for Pete's sake. If we can handle characters with faces melted off, we could handle a head pack
    Last edited by Mr_Yuck; December 10, 2010 at 09:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I still think the reason the 200x heads were stopped is so Mattel can "refresh the figure down the line"

What I read out of this is Mattel are going to bleed the colletors so they buy the same figure again, except this time it has a 200x head.

It is the Malibu Stacy business plan

TOTALLY agree with this. I will NOT buy a Buzz-Off figure just to get a new head. If they had done Buzz-Off exactly like the vintage (no extra legs, no long axe), then MAYBE, but this new version would be JUST a new head.

They need to figure out a cool way to do this... make them new characters, and/or put them in two-packs (Andreenid warriors, etc.).

They also better not take up an A-List variant slot. I do not want these as subscription figures.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I would definitely be up for refreshed figures with a new head-sculpt and/or new weapon. My hope would be that these would be in addition to the subscription/A-list variant slots so fans who do not want refreshes/variants are not stuck with them as part of the sub AND that they don't push back release of other A-list variants in greater demand.

But then again, I thought Smash Blade He-Man (ditto for Power Glove MAA, Trap Orko and Sky Strike Stratos) was an ingenious way to keep a generic He-Man looking figure on the shelves when later waves were released. It was a perfect figure fans could either leave in stores cos they already had a "He-Man" or pick up if they were completists.

I'd love a new Webstor figure with the only change being the Filmation designed shoulder-shooting hooks from the X-backpack.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    YES!!! I'm all for extra 200X heads!!!
    Make them happen again! Refresh figures with them etc.
    As long as they aren't included in the subscription.

/off-topic
    As far as head packs go, Ghostbusters 2 must have a extremely morbid head pack
    Mattel, make this happen, we need all those ghosts featured in both Ghostbusters movies!
    They definably are ghosts that featured in the movie!
    THIS!!!

The impaled heads
    Last edited by synthalus; December 11, 2010 at 07:25am.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=