Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 200X Variants of Characters Thread

There better be a heck of a lot more included than an extra head on the same ol' body for me to be interested. And the moment I find out it's not, and that they've inluded them with the sub, will be the last year I buy a sub.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

LOL, it's like I read Mattel Management's mind on this. I recall Dark Specter asking for POP heads in the Barbie style a while back, and I knew it was never gonna happen, for this very same reason.

But it's good to see TG no longer being closed off to it. But I'm just kinda confused though.... On the latest Q&A from Matty, wasn't TG saying 200X are absolutely out of the question? It just seems like they send mixed messages sometimes.

However, if keeping the chant going is what they suggest, then that's exactly what I will do!!
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

i think then that they need to take the king hsss approach and not include any 200x elements in the normal non-variant versions, allowing the 200x version to be more than just a new head.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    i think then that they need to take the king hsss approach and not include any 200x elements in the normal non-variant versions, allowing the 200x version to be more than just a new head.
    Yeah. I agree with this. No sense in including the Big Red Ring if the character is going to be exactly the vintage version.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yeah. I agree with this. No sense in including the Big Red Ring if the character is going to be exactly the vintage version.
    Do we need to start worrying that a figure will not get a 200X variant if some major 200X inspired design element is present in the first release? That would at least be the pessimistic view. Optimistically you could say that if a removable 200X design element is already included in the budget of the first release, more new tooling for additional elements is available for the 200X variant.

And I have to correct myself from before, a 200X variant of Grizzlor could have new forearms and a new right hand sculpted in addition to the unused face plate. Still, not a major difference.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Mirror Universe?

Personally, I would love to see them go back to blending 80s stuff, 200X stuff and completely new stuff, but it's obviously not what they want to do (set aside any extra items).

So, I would love to see 200X-inspired versions (or ANY design updates, even completely new elements like the back armor design for Man-At-Arms), especially as it's often not (only) the head that I think could need something new/different.

For example I would love to get a Roboto 2.0 with an improved head, a 200X-inspired body armor and a removable left hand.

The thing that makes a "variant" figure difficult is Mattel's need to give all characters a space in canon. What would a Grizzlor with a different head be called? What would be the story behind a slightly changed Buzz-Off?

The Mirror-Universe or Anti-Eternia maybe?

I think what management really meant was why sell just heads when we can get them for $20 a figure again. I know Val talked about some people buying two of the figure (1 for each head), but I just KNOW management thought some weren't buying two of each figure and if they could cash in again with just a different head (making it the only way to get the other head) people would HAVE to basically have bought two of the same figure. This is pure GREED, it has nothing to do with it being "morbid".
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I think that deserved repeating.

SDCC exclusives should be repaints only. Not new sculpts.

SDCC Logo He-Ro and Colour Change Orko were fine choices for exclusives. The DC ones (Gleek and the Starro spores) were not.

If you're going to spend money tooling new sculpts, then everyone should be able to buy them, not just convention attendees.
    I think this bears reprating again.

Con Exclusives are fantastic souvenirs for those who can get there, but most people can't or don't have the interest in the con to justify flying out there. You end up with the choice to pay a huge price or travel somewhere to buy a toy's head, or a monkey or whatever. Add to that the fact that Matty Madness left me paying extra somewhere else just to get a regular Orko.

I think they've done a fantastic job making the MOTUC SDCC exclusives special without fans who missed them feeling like there's a hole in their collection. Something like Gleek bugged me to thw point where I didn't even bother with the very well done Wonder Twins, and at this point I probably never will. The 4 200x con exclusives didn't kill the line for me, but I probably didn't try so hard to track down some of the later tough to find figures since the exclusives would always leave my collection somewhat incomplete. Plus, the whiny fanboy in me is a bit frustrated that we have the restrictions of tooling costs, meanwhile a limited uniquely tooled one time item is given away as a gift for those who can afford the time and cash for the luxury of a con. No slight against those who make it there or Mattel, since it is still a very cool treat for fans.

It's good to hear that 200X heads aren't completely out of the question. I guess it depends on the character and how radically different their designs were 8 years ago. I say go for it when it makes sense. Fisto? Two Heads. King Hsss? Totally different figure and the upcoming version was probably pricey enough to produce as is. Sy-Clone? Tough call on if an extra head would look right on its own and he has a surprising amount of new tooling.

Let's see some 200x bonus accessories though, heads or no heads. The fan demanded Keldor swords would be a great pack in for an accessory-light character.

Morbid? So a second seperate head in the package is fine but on it's own it would be morbid? I'm having real trouble expessing my views on "management" without using rude and unpleasnant words is idiot's ok to say?
    I understand from a cost perspective that's it's not feasable but morbid??
    Isn't it an adult's line???

Anyway...

200X HEADS!
    200X HEADS!
    200X HEADS!

200x heads please!!!

"Morbid"? Seriously? That is the best EXCUSE they could come up with??

MATTEL... LISTEN TO YOUR FANS!!!! (ie Your CUSTOMERS!)
    WE want the heads. GIVE us the heads! YEESH! It's not rocket science here!

Your fans/customers want extra 200X heads... you give your customers the heads!

Let me put it simply here... You make them.... We will buy them... You make money. Got it?

Why is this concept so difficult?

Money GOOOOD! Unhappy customers...BAAADDD.

200X HEADS PLEASE!!!
    Pack or with figures! We will buy them.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    Actually, I sort of agree on the morbidness, although... I wouldn't care as morbidness doesn't bother me all that much in the fantasy aspect. (Is a huge Dexter fan) So I can see why they feel that way, but I don't care if they feel that way, GIVE ME MY HEADS!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I, too, agree that a head in a bag or group of heads on a card like the weapons pack is a bad idea for them to release.

I'm mostly a MOC collector so not only would I not use the extra heads, but I also wouldn't buy a head pack to put with my MOC collection.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Extra heads is what makes this line very exciting that & the great articulation. I greatly look forward to an extra head. I was greatly disappointed about Buzz, Grizz, Lyn & zodak not getting an extra head. some i can live without. but buzz needed one & so will future characters that have very different style heads. there really isnt all that many when you count them.

Heroic Warrior
    i think a full retooling for 200x would be a great way to go. Whiplash could use the stockier body that they are planning for Ram Man. Skeletor should get new armor with shoulder spikes and a cape that fits over the armor, a new head with bone white face, and a new longer loincloth. He-Man could get away with a new head on a Grayskull body with slightly retooled armor. Both Teela and Evil lynn need new armor and heads, and varient colors for Evil Lynn aswell

I don't really care to have a second version of a character just to get a 200X-look. I love the added 200X bits added to the figures so far and hope that that practise continues, but unless a character has a distinctly different look between Vintage and the 200X toyline (Adam-younger, The Sorceress-Egyptian gear, Randor and Marlena in battle gear, etc.), I'm good with how things are proceeding.

Now, I would be thrilled if, when we get Stingrad, he has a 200X-looking head (as he only ever had that), and not the Vintage-looking Buzz-Off head. (Honestly, though, his body could simply be a BO repaint.)

As far as other variants of characters are concerned, though, there are many more I want besides those listed above: Jungle Attack He-Man, Snake Armor HM, Snake Armor MAA, Snake Teela, Snake MAA, Snake Mekaneck, ice Armor HM, Ice/Fire Armor Skeletor (could they do that as an in-water-color-changer?), Battle Sounds/Ambrosia Skeletor, Ambrosia Evil Lyn, Ambrosia TK, Snake Armor Grayskull and Captain Randor.
    Last edited by Uki; December 12, 2010 at 09:33am.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I really don't want 200X versions of characters (except maybe Sorcress/Evil-Lyn). I'd rather have more characters released from the original line that haven't received a second figure. We could use some more POP and NA as well.

I'm not really not in favor of a head pack. If is fine for collectors who buy multiple of every thing- they would have extra bodies to put the heads on. But for people who are selective or coming late into the line- getting a head pack would require hunting down older figures.

For example- I am not excited about the upcoming Buzzoff- because he I think his classic head looks silly. So i will not get him. Say a year from now they release the 200x head in a head pack- it would not help me. With the head, I would have to hunt down a body- and I am sure after market seller would adjust their prices for those figures to meet the new demand.

From a business stand point, it also makes no sense for Mattel to make head pack that would make more profit for after market dealers than themselves. It would be wiser for them to make a new head- swap a few parts and release it as a new figure.

Ideally, I would like:

1) Release figures that would have no body design difference with 2 heads. Grizzlor would have been perfect with 2 heads.

2) Release figures with new heads, but include enough design changes to make it worth buying that "new" figure. Zodak and the Goddess are good examples of this (minus the head). The have a different enough paint job and parts to make them "new". This option should be used wisely- not every character or design is deserving of this option.

3) If there is no other way to get the head with a figure, then pack them in with another figure (like how MAA got the 200x sword), or 1-2 added in a weapon pack.

Overall- I would like some variants, but not at the expense of unique characters- I rather see more POP, NA, and Pre-eternia stuff over variants- even if that means I don't get a 200x version of someone.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Is this a good thread to re-post my mock-ups?

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    Those heads and Roboto are awesome though if they did make a 200X Buzz-off anything I think he should get his own molds, he needs 3 fingered hands and not claws. But I particularly like the 200X He-Man.

WOW!!! What a difference!!

If Buzz-Off and Roboto had looked like that, I would have bought them!
    See Mattel?? YOUR LOSS!!! Actually... we all loose.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Well I'm glad the head pack is out, I don't have extra bodies sitting around to slap the heads on and while I change the poses on the figures I never feel the urge to pop a new head on. (I bought extra MAA and TrapJaw to display the other looks). So bring on the full 200x variants.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Grizzlor, Buzz-Off and Sy-Klone will have to be more than just the same figure with a 200x inspired head for me to buy them again.

I am for extra heads in the first release, but unless the figure is remarkably different, MOTU King Hsss/200x King Hsss, then I don't see the reason to do a 200x variant of an MOTUC figure.

Just put the 200x/variant/new design/modern head in with figure as a second head. Problem solved

I hate when companies try to "double-dip". The only one that seems to get me to keep doing it, is George Lucas, and that will continue when Star Wars gets a blu-ray release.

We were told reissues would not get any new sculpting done on any figures that were previously released. If the "refreshers" is something different, it's still not OK with me.

If it is ok to stick a 200x head on a Classics figure body and sell it for $20 a pop later, then why is it not ok now.......other than the fact that Mattel wouldn't get another $20 if it included the 2nd head with the original figure release?

This is my straight-up message to Mattel. If you look at my sig, you know that I really like the extra 200x heads that HAVE BEEN included. Because of the all-in sub.....adding the cost of the beasts and the bonus figures....which could include variants of already released characters that I wouldn't want, you forced me to eliminate one of my subs, and now with the removal of the extra heads.........I'm more than happy that I did.

While I like the modern head look, if they are not included in the original figure's release, then I WILL NOT buy the "refresher".

One figure of each character is all that I need, and even if don't get the "ultimate" figure of a certain character, I'll still have that character. I just think that Mattel should live up to their bargain of guaranteeing us the "ultimate" figure of MOTU characters.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I agree that simply rehashing the original figures with nothing new except a 200x-inspired head will be lame.

Let's take Buzz-Off for example.
    IMO, if they want to "refresh" Buzz-Off, don't just give us one new head on the same old figure.

Here's how I'd do it:

Slight repaint (nothing gaudy) such as the yellows being a little more muted, the dark body stripes more tannish, have the wings be more opaque painted as opposed to translucent, that sort of thing

Include not only a 200x-inspired Buzz-Off head, but a 2nd head that could essentially double as Stingrad or another Andreenid

Scrap the vintage axe

*Use Sy-Klone's loincloth

New hands if possible

Not saying this is 100% set-in-stone how they should do it, although I did call Zodak before he was revealed.

But at least this way, those who already have the 1st Buzzy wouldn't feel like they were re-buying him, and those who passed initially would still get what could be a relatively neutral "regular" Buzz-Off without worries of neon-redeco'd paint ops or whatever.

And heck, I'm sure most fans would even be perfectly fine if the 200x-ish Buzz-Off head were "packed out to the side" hidden from view, and actually CALL the release "Stingrad" or whoever. At least this would show an active effort on the part of Mattel to work with fans and not just go for the quick buck every time.

But this kind of philosophy could be applied to any kind of "Modern Refresh" (I really wanna move away from saying 200x, LOL) they might do.

200x color scheme Evil-Lyn could be released as "Evelyn Powers" with a young, helmetless head and a purple repaint of the original head as well.

200x-inspired He-Man could be interpreted to be yet another He-Man in the pantheon, and given a unique head sculpt (like Vikor, for example) to be a completely new character.

Or if that's so offensive, then tie it into the MOTUC bios (which we know are so precious) and make "200x He-Man" just a "Battle Training Prince Adam" in an entirely new costume, but including the parts like a new head sculpt for fans to be able to piece together a satisfying 200x He-Man. And in the bio, just make it Adam before he finds both halves of the Power Sword.

Or WHATEVER.

There are literally HUNDREDS of ways to do cool releases that don't depend entirely on being an uncreative rehash of the vintage figures. If only Mattel would give any of 'em a chance.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It's the same mentality as Castle Grayskull. Why sell a diorama, when you can sell a whole playset. Here, it's why sell a head pack, when you can repeatedly sell entire figures.

For a Modern/200X Buzz-Off, I'd like:
    - New Head
    - New Hands
    - New Legs

Put those on the first BO Body and like Lay Ze-Man said, give us a Stingrad head as well and BAM! you've got an awesome Modern/200X toy that people would possibly buy 2 of.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!