Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 200X Variants of Characters Thread

Crab needs a head with no silly Eyebrows and smaller eyes... Right now he reminds me of the Gorn from Star Trek with eyebrows! (as in WORST IFGHT EVER!! Gorn)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Clawful is probably the character in most need of an extra head since Moss man! Just because something was a certain way in the 80s does not mean it is better! I go for quality over nostalgia. If I wanted things exactlly the same as when I was a child I would save myself a hell of alot of money and buy the 80s toys off ebay for a few pounds each. Then I would carry my teddy bear everywhere with me and start hanging out at the local primary school.
    Then probably get arrested.
    Last edited by Rodster6; February 17, 2011 at 09:55am.

I'll go ahead and add my bump to this thread. Clawful got shafted on a 200x figure. His MOTUC head looks moronic. Why a shield and no alt. head? Who made that decision?!

I like his muppet head, though in all fairness Jim Henson is a personal hero of mine.

I do think it will be hard to get 200X variants for a lot of the figures though, Clawful included. There's only so many quarterly variant slots, heh 4 in fact.

Now, an army builder pack might/should be able to include 200x inspired heads that may happen to be similar to 200X character updates. Be it aquatic themed, bee people themed, or whatever theme would be appropriate to get a eerily similar variant head in there.

Just throwing the thought out there.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I don't want a 200x head...but I also don't like the vintage head either. An amalgamation of the 2 would be fine. Actually, I wouldn't even mind the vintage head if it didn't have the side teeth showing (That just makes him look goofy).

Kinda like this... (changed the eyebrows a little too...and pardon the very basic job...I only have MSPaint here)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Since some fans think Clawful looks like a muppet, we need to keep this thread on the first page. I don't mean stickied, I mean in constant discussion.

I think I may have been the first one to post that his head reminded me of a Muppet! hahaha. Glad it caught on!

Specifically, it reminds me of a mutated Burt from Sesame Street.

But I also understand that people really like the vintage style... that said... I don't get the appeal. I mean... If I wanted Vintage, I'd buy Vintage!
    'Course... one could say the same for 200X I guess.

But my thing is.. why not please BOTH!!! WHy not extra heads?
    Trap-Jaw, Buzz-Off and now Clawful are SCREEMING for 200x heads, because, vintage or not, nostalgic or not... the old heads look goofy, too cartoony, silly even imo. I prefer the more "realistic" look to them. A more "adult" look if you will.

MATTY... PLEASE MAKE BOTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Crab needs a head with no silly Eyebrows and smaller eyes... Right now he reminds me of the Gorn from Star Trek with eyebrows! (as in WORST IFGHT EVER!! Gorn)

LOL

Again, its great for vintage nostalgic enthusiasts.... but not for collectors such as ourselves who want our figures to look more like adult collections.

BRING ON THE 200X HEADS!!!! WE NEED THEM!!!
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Villain in training warrenpeace2012's Avatar
    I thought that Ninja Turtle side faced grin went out in the 80's? Clawful just looks awful.
    Don't mess up TWO-BADD! That's all I ask!

And behold, I will be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die. I shall reign in 2012 for my conquest is nigh.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Hey 200X fans?

Can we please stop with the insults to the vintage designs? Our goal is to gather the online support that Toyguru needs so he can justify making these alternate headed variants. Not only do fans want 200X headed variants, but there are characters from other eras that need alternate heads as well (King Hssss' Bruce Timm head, among others).

However, your passion is so great, that you might inadvertently turn off any support that this thread would have gotten from fans of the other eras! With EVERYONE pitching in, this thread could benefit ALL of us.

So please treat the other eras as you would want to be treated. You see negativity, then be better than that.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I've always thought that Mattel would release 200X versions of characters eventually. I believe it even more-so, now that the 200X heads have been nixed. That is also the reason that I dislike figures like Hordak that are a mixture of vintage/200X. Releasing a mixed style figure drastically lessens the chance that a totally vintage or totally 200X figure will be released later.

I highly prefer the vintage designs over the 200X designs, however, I'd be very happy to see both versions released to please all fans.

With that said, I went over to your thread to post my support for the 200X designs, and what do I see? Post after post of people bashing the vintage designs. It's one thing to say that you don't like them, but calling them moronic, stupid, ugly,etc., is just plain childish. Not to mention, it made me decide not to post my support for the idea.
    This is why I just roll my eyes when 2002 fans accuse vintage fans of ruining threads or being aggressive with their opinions. Except for maybe NA fans, I've seens representatives of every faction/era act poorly while defending their position.
    I sincerely apologize!

As the thread creator, it was not my intent to put down the vintage era to promote 200X. In the first post, I mention that I wanted the thread to not only help 200X fans out in getting their much wanted variants, but other fans as well (like the Bruce Timm King Hssss head and hole-less She-Ra head). I wanted it to be a forum where fans can get together and support those variants.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I think Buzzoff , grizzlor and Clawfull should have gotten a modern head as an extra. For the first 2 we actually know modern versions were sculpted and therefore I blame Mattel for making the wrong choices.

Like I said in the other thread, I won't let a few rotten apples ruin the bunch. So, I'm here to post my support for the 200X designs.

Even though I prefer the vintage designs, I think every fan deserves the chance to see their favorite designs come to fruition. I may not display a 200X Clawful, but I'd gladly get him for my MOC collection.

This line is doing so well that I see no reason why multiple versions of characters can't be possible. There's a demand for them, and as long as they're spread out over the course of the line, I think they'd be great additions to this already amazing MOTUC line!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

[B]Hey 200X fans?

Can we please stop with the insults to the vintage designs?
    I am all for showing restraint, but how can we argue for a 200X-inspired character without expressing that in our opinion a specific vintage-inspired head is not what we want and give reasons (in example for Clawful: furry black eyebrows, large comic eyes, sideways smirk)?

While it's cool that the vintage fans can get their vintage head, I like Options. Whiplahs gave me options... I didn't like the Eyebrows and eye make-up that the vintage Whippy has. But with Buzz-Off I'm stuck with the vintage head... cool for those who like it, but to me it looks like a Vampire balloon.
    As I said before, Clawful looks like Gorn with Eyebrows...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I am all for showing restraint, but how can we argue for a 200X-inspired character without expressing that in our opinion a specific vintage-inspired head is not what we want and give reasons (in example for Clawful: furry black eyebrows, large comic eyes, sideways smirk)?
    You just did it!

You think the face looks too comical and would like something more serious.

[B]Hey 200X fans?
    I read your post and agree with it, but for some reason afterwards all I could think of is the WSOD.

Seeing Matty's leering face and reading the words "Hey toy fan!" over... and over... and over again as it refreshes...

Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    I'll go ahead and add my bump to this thread. Clawful got shafted on a 200x figure. His MOTUC head looks moronic. Why a shield and no alt. head? Who made that decision?!
    What he said. I was always upset we never got a 200X figure and hasd hope for more with Clawful in this line, let down sadly.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior kinggreyskull2011's Avatar
    If any figure ever needed a new head / alternate head it's Clawful.

My vote is YES! we need at the very least an occasional 200x alternate head included with a figure...especially when a vintage figure is considered to be too vintage and dated...

After all Mattel / 4H: you guys gave us the 200x line and made us gaga for the redesign and sculpt of those figures / stactions, so please consider us with the MOTUC range...

And you ARE doing previously unreleased 200x characters, so it's not as if a 200x style head is going to contaminate the line for vintage-only fans...whilst it's branded classic, it's not exclusively vintage...

I'm in favour of all styles and eras of the rich MOTU mythos and toy history to exist, adapt and be reborn in to the MOTUC range...

Heroic Warrior
    if mattel can sell different heads for their barbie fashionista line ( my niece keeps bothering me about finding the pink haired barbie head that is no where to be found around here) then motuc can follow suit with no problem. Its just a matter of packaging. I was hoping they would do variant hands. It bugs me to death that things like the spear of randor doesnt fit in his hand without forcing him to stretch his fist out or the classic teela hand pose or evillyns for that matter. Sometimes less accessories is more.

I have to admit, I´m happy with the overall shape of Clawfuls head. However, there are some details that IMHO need to be addressed.

- The eyebrows: those bothered me with Whiplash already and don´t stop bothering me with Clawful now. I don´t know where the designers back in the 80ies came from with the idea to include eyebrows for a crab, but over the years this idea become less and less exciting.
    - The eyes: big eyes and a tiny pupil add to the "muppet" look. It was great with Trap Jaw, gave him that insane evil looks, but doesn´t look so good with Clawful. He´s propably never been the smartest guy and propably never will be, so the looks of his eyes add a little to that feeling. But I would have prefered a more menacing look.
    - The mouth: I had to lol about the Turtles sidegrin comment earlier in this thread. But as funny as that statement was, as true it is. Clawful was one of THE most menacing looking evil warriors from the 200x line, because of the way his mouth and teeth were shaped and sculpted.
    - the two "nosebumps". The way they are sculpted they look like candy being sucked smooth. Great for children to avoid pointy surfaces, but totally unneccessary for adult collector toys.

The overall figure is great and I would have loved to see a photo of his shell on the back as I think that´s an excellent addition. It´s just the head that took one unneccessary step too much in the vintage direction.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    want those 200x heads!

Now that we have seen how Vintage Clawful looks, we now have a better idea how a 200x variant might be done. I constructed with the idea of giving the 200x look while reused as many parts as possible. Like Carnivus, some details have been scraped.

The lower half is all Whiplash and Skeletor. The upper half would be completely new. Since the torsos can be "skinned", I would think the 4H could come up with a wide should upper buck that could be used for Ramman and other wide shoulder variants to keep tooling cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Now that we have seen how Vintage Clawful looks, we now have a better idea how a 200x variant might be done. I constructed with the idea of giving the 200x look while reused as many parts as possible. Like Carnivus, some details have been scraped.

The lower half is all Whiplash and Skeletor. The upper half would be completely new. Since the torsos can be "skinned", I would think the 4H could come up with a wide should upper buck that could be used for Ramman and other wide shoulder variants to keep tooling cost down.
    That would have been a lot better imo.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

don't want no stinkin mo2k variants. original designs kill... proven month after month.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MANGLORD View Post
    don't want no stinkin mo2k variants. original designs kill... proven month after month.
    How is that? do you think Mattel would sell any less Clawfuls if his head wasn't as goofy looking?

This is the only MotU product out there and that is why it sells. I only buy them to support the brand and they are out the door if anything better comes along.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by MANGLORD View Post
    Hey Manglord...what I said above goes for vintage fans too. Show respect and you'll get some in return. You'll have your classic Clawful. These guys want that Clawful with a new head.

why so "hyper"? no disrespect in my comment. you can have your opinion as i can have mine. i have no problem with the classics clawful head but then again i understand what teh lien is about. anyway, i'd rather have new classic figures than a pack of mo2k heads or another mo2k clawful... already own the staction.
    Last edited by MANGLORD; February 19, 2011 at 02:02pm.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg