Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mill Creek releasing He-Man

Got ealier tonight Mill Creek's He-Man and Masters of The Universe Season 2 box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Got ealier tonight Mill Creek's He-Man and Masters of The Universe Season 2 box set.
    I've had mine for a few days now, haven't gotten to the second season to watch it yet, but I am on episode #28 of the first season, of which I have had for about a month and a half, and I have to say that these sets are really nicely done, really clear and sound good.

I would like to have the commercial bumpers though, they had the bumpers all added back in on the Transformers G1 SF sets. I like how the new Thundercats has them, it's like a step back in time for me, I am nostalgic that way. I just wish they had them back in the MOTU episodes.

Heroic Warrior
    I got mine from Amazon (after checking places like Best Buy and Target, to name a few), and so far it's working great. I've only watched one disc out of each set so far, though. This would be something I could let my niece & nephew watch with me (they're 4 months & 3 months as of this post).
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Really enjoyed getting to watch Season 1 all over again. Waiting for Season 2 to arrive in my mailbox, any day now..

My local f.y.e. had the "limited edition" SDCC version of season 2 in stock for $19.99, so apparently that is where some of the leftovers are going.

That's great... serves them right for being so tight-a$$es over them.
    I hope there is a really large stock of them somewhere laying around.
    And with the new collector's DVD releases that are coming for the 30th Anniversary I don't see anyone too interested in them anymore.

And no, I am not bashing the MOTU brand. It's them! The company. When I REPEATEDLY contacted them about the Limited Edition they said they weren't allowed to sell it outside the SDCC and I should look for it on eBay..

I picked up the 1st season at Fry's Electronics in Concord for 11.99. Will definitely pick up the 2nd season soon. I had the 1st half of season 1 but figured this was a cheaper alternative than even Rasputin Records which sells used copies of Season 1 volume 1 and 2 but it's way more than the 11.99 for the 1st full season. I'm not keen on the paper sleeves either as I have the complete Ultraman series as well. But hey I couldn't beat 5.00 for the full series for Ultraman.

Court Magician
    I picked up both of the seasons for $10.99 on Amazon. Now if they would only do She-Ra.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My local f.y.e. had the "limited edition" SDCC version of season 2 in stock for $19.99, so apparently that is where some of the leftovers are going.
    Yeah, I got a Limited Edition set at the FYE here in San Diego while x-mas shopping. They had one LE and one regular release on the shelves.

Hey if any one needs the smaller Vol 1 or Vol 2 DVD sets (20 episodes each) Target currently has them on sale for $3.99 each. The ones I got were located near the toy aisle. I would tell you to rush and get them if you need them but they had plenty of them and they were the only DVDs on the endcap that didn't seem to be selling.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

A new 2 disc best of set is coming June 26th featuring the "20 best episodes from Seasons 1 & 2."

The sell sheet says Mill Creek He-Man Season 1 has sold 79,967 units so far and Mill Creek Best of He-Man (10 Episodes) has sold 75,822 so far.

Content according to Mill Creek Entertainment's website is:

Season 1:
    1. Teela’s Quest
    2. Diamond Ray of Disappearance
    3. Prince Adam No More
    4. Quest for He-Man
    5. Evilseed
    6. The Dragon Invasion
    7. The Dragon’s Gift
    8. Dawn of Dragoon
    9. Double Edged Sword
    10. Pawns of the Game Master

Season 2:
    1. Origin of the Sorceress
    2. The Problem With Power (with commentary)
    3. To Save Skeletor
    4. Teela’s Triumph
    5. Into the Abyss
    6. Battlecat
    7. The Rainbow Warrior (with commentary)
    8. The Arena
    9. No Job Too Small
    10. Not So Blind

Bonus Features:
    English & Spanish tracks
    Documentary: Behind the Best of He-Man Season 1
    Documentary: Behind the Best of He-Man Season 2
    2 Episodes with Commentary by Lou & Erika Scheimer, Larry DiTillio, Tom Sito, Tom Tataranowicz and Dave Teague.

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Doesn't surprise me that Season 1 sold more than the best of. It's an additional 55 episodes for roughly another $10, maybe less some places (provided I am right in assuming Season 1 is about $20).

Which reminds me-I need to get these.
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Hopefully Mill Creek OR Classic Media will pick up Filmation Ghostbusters and re-release it on DVD. A member of my forum found out that Classic Media already re-issued some FGB episodes in some form (an anthology featuring more than one series). Good start I guess.

By the way, what about the bad episodes compression/encoding some Mill Creek products usually suffer for?

Said that, I'm glad He-Man is available for purchase again in the States... and CHEAPER!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A new 2 disc best of set is coming June 26th featuring the "20 best episodes from Seasons 1 & 2."

The sell sheet says Mill Creek He-Man Season 1 has sold 79,967 units so far and Mill Creek Best of He-Man (10 Episodes) has sold 75,822 so far.

:
    Very good figures for a very late re-release IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    I have seen numerous examples of good quality upscaling - It's never as convincing as high definition, but it is better than DVD, because (of course) the bit rate is ridiculously higher...

The MAIN benefit to having the series on Blu-ray would be that there would be NO loss in quality - No matter what you think, as good as the DVDs look, they're not as good as the digital masters...

The bit rates on both the Contender and BCI releases have a a hard time dealing with the transformation sequence...on Blu-ray you would see NO loss whatsoever...
    Great analysis. DVDs are way too "small" for the basic digital masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I'm thinking about it
    I opened a thread to get fan feedback on the subject:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=200716
    Emiliano, you did a terrific job... I would like to get some feedback from you about my FGB forum, but you haven't responded to me on FB... LOL!
    Last edited by Vanquest; May 3, 2012 at 08:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

I'd be all for getting the original series on Blu-Ray. Sure, the show might be in standard definition and in 4:3 format, but I'd love to see the classic cartoon uncompressed. Imagine no pixelation or artifacts. Imagine true colours. It'd look great.

I'd like to see them in their original aspect ratio though. I can't stand seeing 4:3 shows converted/forced into 16:9. It just doesn't look right. For one thing, forcing the transformation sequence into 16:9 would look terrible.
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prozac View Post
    I'd be all for getting the original series on Blu-Ray. Sure, the show might be in standard definition and in 4:3 format, but I'd love to see the classic cartoon uncompressed. Imagine no pixelation or artifacts. Imagine true colours. It'd look great.

I'd like to see them in their original aspect ratio though. I can't stand seeing 4:3 shows converted/forced into 16:9. It just doesn't look right. For one thing, forcing the transformation sequence into 16:9 would look terrible.
    Nice a thought as that would be (and I would be all for it myself) a standard definition Blu-Ray release is likely to never happen. As someone has pointed out before (BCI Guy I believe, but not completely sure) people buy Blu-Rays for the hi-def experience. If the show were to be placed on Blu-Ray in standard definition, regardless of the higher bit rate or increased number of episodes, there would be cries of false advertising all over the place.
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

The masters were (stupidly) destroyed AFAIK. However, I'm pretty sure that there are decent copies in film somewhere...
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_SLUMP View Post
    The masters were (stupidly) destroyed AFAIK. However, I'm pretty sure that there are decent copies in film somewhere...
    It seems to me the original masters were in bad shape. They restored and digitized them, then destroyed them.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Yes but the restoration was done in 480 lines...
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_SLUMP View Post
    Yes but the restoration was done in 480 lines...
    For definite? If so that's very disappointing!

If you're reading this thread, James Eatock, exactly how good were the masters?
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

Cover art for 20 episodes best of set:
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/He-...llection/16947

Looks great!
    – No comment.

I randomly came across this news on the TVshowonDVD site, and saw that the two commentaries didn't sound familiar (I own the BCI 10 episode Best Of He-Man set). So, are these commentaries on Rainbow Warrior and Problem with Power new?

And as for all this talk of Blu-Ray and compression and quality and destroyed originals...

I'M STILL HOPING TO SEE THE ORIGINAL BROADCAST NTSC VERSIONS!

I'll never be happy until I hear She-Ra/Adora's voice in it's REAL pitch, and see the transformation sequence in it's FULL glory, without cropping and sped-up animation.

I know somewhere here has a canister of the Secret Of the Sword, in original NTSC form. If they could manage to get it transferred into digital, restored and released on Blu-Ray, I'd be ALL OVER IT. Of course, it would be nice if a studio could step in and do that stuff...

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    I've seen replacement cases that have the same dimensions as the Mill Creek sets (so that the insert would fit properly), but they're for 12 discs. I don't know if the center hubs can be changed out so that it cuts it down to 8 (for those whom it would matter to) but most of the 8-disc replacement cases I've seen are at most 1 inch deep. The booklet is another matter.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

I'm hoping we get an update about the 30th anny set at Power-Con.