Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You OK with Bow Replacing Sea Hawk?

Are You OK with Bow Replacing Sea Hawk?

As Teela and He-Man were destined to be love interests, I always thought that Bow and She-Ra would be the same. Bow was essentially the "Teela Equivalent" in the Princess of Power toyline - maybe that's why the writers at Filmation wished to avoid the predictable route by creating a non-figure character to fill the role.

Granted, both the He-Man and She-Ra shows spent most of their time avoiding the romance theme, but enough insinuation was done to solidify the idea that Teela was He-Man's love and Sea Hawk was She-Ra's. I always thought that was wrong - especially when Bow is listed as "She-Ra's Special Friend" in the toy line.

Now with Bow's bio being released for the MOTUC line, it seems more likely that he will finally take his place as Adora's official love interest - especially with the fact that Sea Hawk is unavailable to the MOTUC storyline with him being a Filmation-exclusive character.

How do you feel about this?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Sea Hawk is "currently" unavailable. He could he available down the road. The whole thing about the heart beating is a carry over form the toy and Licensing guide bio. Not to sound pessimistic, but Adora/She-ra may not return his feelings either.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    As a kid, I couldn't understand why Sea Hawk was replacing Bow in the romantic interest capacity. I also suspected they were also long lost twins, because they look so similar. As an adult, I've been open to the idea of Sea Hawk being her destined love.

As it's been stated, this is Classics canon, and Sea Hawk is currently off limits. As Agostinho said, that could change. Also, as we've been told, the canon is only a template, and not the decree of how our personal canons should be.

If all else fails, Bow comes with two heads. If Blade is eventually made, we have a real easy solution. In the mean time, I'll do it like I did as a kid. Sea Hawk isn't on the shelf with everyone because he's "away on a mission".

I'm not too sad over Bow being She-Ra's love interest because it's drawn from the original toyline. He is the counterpoint to Teela. But then again, my canon's so convoluted there are two Teelas and Faker is Adam's clone, that it creates some interesting situations for who lands up with who... especially since I vote Bow to end up with Adam. Canons can ebb and flow. And if Sea Hawk comes into possibility, Adora can love him, because it's true... we don't know if she reciprocates Bow's feelings.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

I see your point, Agostinho. Most of those original figures are on my toy room shelf...

I know there is a huge contingient of fans out there who are holding out for the Filmation characters to become a part of MOTUC - there is a part of me that follows this hope. Albeit, I suspect that the creative forces behind MOTUC cannot hold out for the roles that those characters would fill in the ongoing story that is developing in the character bios.

I'm a fan of the original POP toyline, and it just makes sense to me that Bow fills this role. I always thought he was this pathetic hopeless romantic in the Filmation show, as he frothed at the mouth over Adora/She-Ra, who showed absolutely no interest in him. I just hope they don't leave him out in the cold again. Sure it's somewhat realistic to have a character that has an unreciprocated crush, but why put focus on it if they aren't planning to do something with it?
    Last edited by mykan; December 11, 2010 at 06:04pm. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    As Teela and He-Man were destined to be love interests, I always thought that Bow and She-Ra would be the same. Bow was essentially the "Teela Equivalent" in the Princess of Power toyline - maybe that's why the writers at Filmation wished to avoid the predictable route by creating a non-figure character to fill the role.
    Sea Hawk was created cause they needed more male characters. Which wasn't available int he toy line. Plus it added for great stories and created a character that was a great love interest for Adora. Seemed everyone loved She-Ra. But here was a man who loved Adora. She-Ra who?

Granted, both the He-Man and She-Ra shows spent most of their time avoiding the romance theme, but enough insinuation was done to solidify the idea that Teela was He-Man's love and Sea Hawk was She-Ra's. I always thought that was wrong - especially when Bow is listed as "She-Ra's Special Friend" in the toy line.
    She-Ra had lots of episodes dealing with love romance with main character from Adora, She-Ra, Angela, Glimmer and of course, Frosta! "She-Ra's Special Friend" was just eluding to that Bow was to beShe-Ra's possible love interest. But Filmation went past that.

Now with Bow's bio being released for the MOTUC line, it seems more likely that he will finally take his place as Adora's official love interest - especially with the fact that Sea Hawk is unavailable to the MOTUC storyline with him being a Filmation-exclusive character.

How do you feel about this?
    All it says is that Bow is secretly in love with Adora. Who says that Adora returns those feelings? If Mattel ever gets Filmation rights and is able to make Sea Hawk. They will for sure make mention Adora and his feelings for one another. Besides, just cause it's in a bio doesn't mean you have to follow it!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I'd prefer Bow's bio to reference his feelings for She-Ra, over Adora but there's no point crying over spilled milk. As you say, this is a different canon to Filmation so I'm trying to remain open to new ideas.

However, in terms of an ongoing plot piece that stays faithful to the 80s mythos, Sea Hawk is one of the most important characters currently unavailable to MOTUC. Sure, Shadow Weaver is the most-requested, but in terms of telling a story around Adam and Adora being of the most central importance to the saga, Sea Hawk (along with Light Hope and Madame Razz) is vital.

I'm glad Bow's bio still leaves room for Sea Hawk and maybe even some rivalry between the pair (on a side note, they only appeared in one episode together, which didn't explore their relationship). Now, if Adora's bio stated that she was in love with Bow...now that would change everything...

I think Mattel have left several doors open for Filmation characters and cartoon-influence for a reason- because there is always hope and Mattel recognise its importance. Add to that, Sea Hawk is a loveable-rogue-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks-gone-good - what's not to love?!
    Last edited by Scorpia; December 11, 2010 at 06:16pm.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Sea Hawk was created cause they needed more male characters. Which wasn't available int he toy line. Plus it added for great stories and created a character that was a great love interest for Adora. Seemed everyone loved She-Ra. But here was a man who loved Adora. She-Ra who?
    Agreed. Although, often times it seemed that the Filmation hand was not always talking to the Mattel hand. I have the feeling that Bow was created to fill the same role as Teela, but Filmation had other plans...

She-Ra had lots of episodes dealing with love romance with main character from Adora, She-Ra, Angela, Glimmer and of course, Frosta! "She-Ra's Special Friend" was just eluding to that Bow was to beShe-Ra's possible love interest. But Filmation went past that.
    Yes, both shows (He-Man and She-Ra) had episodes that dealt with a romance angle, but no episode ever took it to the next level - storylines that dealt with He-Man specifically developing a romantic relationship with Teela, or She-Ra/Adora specifically developing a relationship with Sea Hawk. Those would have been some very interesting stories - with the secret identity love triangle and all.

All it says is that Bow is secretly in love with Adora. Who says that Adora returns those feelings? If Mattel ever gets Filmation rights and is able to make Sea Hawk. They will for sure make mention Adora and his feelings for one another. Besides, just cause it's in a bio doesn't mean you have to follow it!
    I agree with that last comment. But it seems that a lot of fans WANT to get Sea Hawk made, and have him be She-Ra's lover in the bios, but then on the same token not follow the bios.

Many fans are married to the Filmation mythos, and the characters therein. And as I've said before - I want my Shadow Weaver, Shokoti, Octavia, Scorpia and Dylamug as bad as the next guy, but I'm not holding my breath and turning blue for them...just being realistic...for the time being at least.
    Last edited by mykan; December 11, 2010 at 06:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I like it. It's the way it was always meant to be, and allows Bow to finally reach his full potential.

Besides... chicks digg musicians, right??

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    I like it. It's the way it was always meant to be, and allows Bow to finally reach his full potential.

Besides... chicks digg musicians, right??
    Ya put it better than I could have. I like Sea Hawk, but I think he took something away from Bow...

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Honestly I'd rather see Bow with Glimmer than Adora.
    However it would be interesting to see Adora break Bow's
    heart.
    Last edited by Eternian Knight; December 11, 2010 at 11:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    Honestly I'd rather see Bow with Glitter than Adora.
    However it would be interesting to see Adora break Bow's
    heart.
    Who is Glitter? I'd like Bow and Teela to hook up.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like Bow to think he was in love with Adora, but eventually realize that it's really Glimmer he's in love with. Glimmer and Adora just usually happen to be in trouble at the same time lol.

In Filmation, Bow did have a thing for She-Ra, whereas Sea Hawk's feelings were towards Adora. I'm not sure why they couldn't still go with Bow liking She-Ra for the new bio rather than Adora.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Going by filmation, Bow only had eyes for she-ra; seahawk only had eyes for adora...eventually one of them was going to get hurt; maybe it's better this way.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Elder Councilman
    didn't that line come from the backer card of the original Bow figure, though?

Sea Hawk is destined to be with Adora/She-Ra.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    Bow will never replace Hawk in my book. Adora/She-ra never saw Bow as a lover just a friend. She fell in love with Hawk and felt he loved She-ra, which wasn't true.

Matty doesn't have the rights to Hawk so they tring to replace Hawk for Bow. I think this is going to be a personal choice depending on the mythos you believe in. The PoP line does depend on the filmation cartoon, so Matty will be recreating the bio's.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

I don't like it but can deal with it because Seahawk is currently non-existant so they could not really do much else. I would prefer they had said he was in love with She-Ra though

I am more discouraged that Bow's card makes no mention of his special sidekick/life partner Kowl
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't replaced Sea Hawk. Bow is in love with Adora, fine, but she ain't into him at all. Not even the new bios have said so. It may not be official in MOTUC yet, but the only guy she's carrying a torch for is that bad boy pirate Sea Hawk. Bow is just a special friend to her.

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't replaced Sea Hawk. Bow is in love with Adora, fine, but she ain't into him at all. The only guy she's carrying a torch for is that bad boy pirate Sea Hawk. Bow is just a special friend to her.
    I can totally relate *laughs which soon fades into crying*

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't replaced Sea Hawk. Bow is in love with Adora, fine, but she ain't into him at all. Not even the new bios have said so. It may not be official in MOTUC yet, but the only guy she's carrying a torch for is that bad boy pirate Sea Hawk. Bow is just a special friend to her.
    Amen. The bio simply states Bow is secretly in love with Adora it says nothing about her feelings for him. Special Friend does not equal love interest in my dictionary.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Some good points here but as I forgot about sea Hawk and bow took over in the series and hes all I remember. I might have to rewatch the series again in the begining to see sea hawk and what all he did.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

You sir deserve applause for this
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Even though I don't care for Bow much, your post is making me feel sorry for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Disguise View Post
    Even though I don't care for Bow much, your post is making me feel sorry for the guy.
    Don't forget Bow's special arrows.

This one time, at band camp, he used his special tranquillizer arrow....
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

My friends, I'm afraid many of you are suffering from Filmation-Madness. Look at what Hasbro has done with Transformers - there's been multiple continuities born out of the franchise. Mattel is only doing the same with MOTU - developing from all the resources at its disposal. Granted, Mattel is making smarter choices by making this new continuity more cohesive and epic, but all in all, the Filmation aspects of the mythos have had to be summarily ommitted.

Until Filmation is officially accessible to Mattel, none of it can be considered in my eyes - I just don't want to put myself up for disappointment. The MOTUC story has NOTHING to do with the Filmation one. Albeit, this is just my opinion, and we all have a right to believe in whatever canon we want, or make up whatever canon we want...

Filmation made some bad choices with developing the Bow character, and Mattel is trying to make up for it - since it's Bow that was created by Mattel in the first place, and it's his toy that's going to make Mattel money.