Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 029 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 029 Discussion!

Episode 029 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The gang kicks things off with discussion about the reveal of MOTUC Sy-Klone!

Then we get back into figure review, where over the course of the discussion we touch on topics such as
    the plan for 200x variant comic book covers,
    the 2007 MOTUC He-Man prototype VS the final MOTUC He-man prototype VS the final MOTUC He-man product,
    He-Man's eyes,
    He-Man's articulation,
    the Sword of Power,
    and the art of toy design.

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    He-Man (continued)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 26 minutes, 10 seconds

Direct link for Episode 029

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Heroic Warrior
    Funky intro, dude

I think they've used that before. I like it.

Glad Emiliano is back! Hope he stays
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

We currently have 10 different intros in rotation.
    But I hope to slide in songs from bands.
    If anyone knows anyone in a band, and they have a kickin' energetic sound, and they'd like to have it on the intro in exchange for a mention and website promotion, please let us know!
    We'll check out their stuff and use it if we like it!

Just finished listening. A few comments:

I never noticed the hair on He-Man before but it really does sit too high. I always liked the prototype better but couldn't quite put my finger on why. Now I know. The prototype's hair looks fantastic.

I also wish the axe had the grip lines on the handle.

Regarding the sword, I think it looks great in general, but I would like to see one without the two-tone paint. Now that I look at it closely, I agree that the gray part could be more meaty. I didn't like the one that came with the staction because it looked too angular for my tastes.

I also don't mind the red around the eyes. Maybe mine is less pronounced, but I like that head better then the one that came with BA He-Man and Prince Adam.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Great episode, I cracked up when Eamon said ring piece!

Hate to say Eamon but in the UK comic Hordak didn’t create Sy-Klone, he was created by his Farther after he was injured in an attack on his home planet by the Horde. Hope they used his real name of Dash-Shel from the UK comic in the MOTUC bio.

Links to Sy-Klone UK comic origin:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=955
    http://bustatoons.blogspot.com/2010/...y-klone-1.html

I agree with articulation, too much just takes away from the sculpt and the figure just looks ugly. To be honest I wish the MOTUC didn't have the ab crunch.
    Last edited by 13977; December 16, 2010 at 08:41am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Photog had zero chances to be made... Now with the fear of Pedo Barbie Photog's chances is LESS THAN ZERO!

EVERYTHING CAN BE USED FOR "EVIL PURPOSES"... Are we getting warnings for EVERYTHING?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

LOL!!!
    I hope not.
    That's a great feature for Fearless Photog!

Yet another exclusive the Org will gladly take on its shoulders, if Mattel would be so willing!

Attention Val:

You guys have to discuss this comment from Toy Guru on the next one you record:

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    “I really like both Vikor and the new King Grayskull. It was fun to see the worlds really come together. Trap Jaw was also a particularly fun bio to do. Adora was also great since it helped clarify that Etheria was in Despondos. There really aren’t any bios that need to be re-done. There were two early mistakes I’d want to correct. Tytus’ bio had a few events swapped (the building of Castle Grayskull and the Towers) and Goddess’ bio mistakenly said there was 500 year between Grayskull and Adam when it was supposed to be 5,000 years."
    5,000 Year changes a LOT of stuff and the swap of the events in Tytus's bio change stuff too. You think these were really mistakes or is Mattel doing a retcon?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

He said it was a mistake, so I'll chalk it up as a mistake.
    Mistakes do happen! I make mistakes all the time.
    The important thing any of us can do is admit it, then work to fix it.

We'll talk about the change on the show and how it applies to the bios.
    Should be fun!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Great episode!

Awesome to hear Emil and you guys dissect the shortcomings of the final He-Man figure compared to the prototypes.

I've long been disappointed by that, and have given up trying to get Mattel to know what we're talking about. Yeah, they FINALLY fixed Stratos' wrists, but it's a little insulting to spend so much time and effort trying to bring things to their attention to only generate automated responses.

Anywhoo . . .

I have had a heck of a time trying to get the hair to sit better on his head, and yeah, whatever molding process did NOT successfully recreate the look of the prototype.

I have chopped head tops off, shaved things down, heated until soft and tried to reshape, glued at different angles, all kinds of stuff, and it really does feel like the hair piece is a resized or resculpted piece compared to the prototype shots.

And this is all to say nothing of the paint ops on the eyebrows and eyes.

But here are some of my more successful attempts to try and capture the look and feel of the 4H versions:

And one of KG:

And yeah, agreed with you guys that the execution is way better on MOTUC, but like you guys say, the Statues and the Stactions are much much closer to the 4H's intentions, and MOTUC gets the luxury that the 200x toy line did NOT have of Mattel trying slightly harder to honor the 4H's vision.

Had we been able to get the 4H's versions, with the correct paint ops, the original visions of articulation, and all the rest, it would've been a whole 'nother ball game!

And also glad to hear my thoughts on the over-articulated ML figures echoed. I agree that the 4H are the masters of the perfect marriage between well-articulated without disrupting the sculpting.

Also, agreed () yet again that He-Man's weapons are far too plain.
    Especially when you compare to Vikor's or really just about anyone's weapons since then.
    IMO, we REALLY need to revisit the Power Sword, the axe, and the shield.
    Sadly, this will NEVER happen, but I would prioritize it over a LOT.
    It's He-Man, you gotta get him perfect.

I was checking King Grayskull's retooled half swords, and it looks like they've fixed that little indentation problem on the hilt you guys were talking about.

Now they just need to do the same with the full sword.

Haven't listened to too much of this episode yet, but wanted to clarify something real quick:

The day early shipping for comic books in the US is an optional, added expense for the retailers to have more time to process them before they go on sale, because unlike many other areas of business, most shops don't get the product early. The street date for those comics isn't changing. New comic day remains Wednesday.

It does, however, change other things behind the scenes for creative types like Val, and even ordering adjustments for retailers like me.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    He said it was a mistake, so I'll chalk it up as a mistake.
    Mistakes do happen! I make mistakes all the time.
    The important thing any of us can do is admit it, then work to fix it.

We'll talk about the change on the show and how it applies to the bios.
    Should be fun!
    Well as a follow-up, Jukka posted something after they were discussing the 5,000 years change from 500 years. The bio for the Goddess on MattyCollector says "For five thousand years, they waited for a worthy heir to be born.", but:

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    Again, that looks to be changed for the MattyCollector -website.

But on Goddess' package, it says "for five centuries".
    I think this may kill the missing zero claim as you cannot "accidently" put centuries instead of millenia, and the Goddess came out before Tytus. This sounds like a BIG time retcon based on fan reaction.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Great Episode, good that Emiliano is back.
    I have to agree with Eamon about He-Manīs eyes.
    Thats the one little thing i donīt like 100% on Classics He-Man.
    I agree with what Emiliano said about He-Mans weapons. Also the Ax is missing 3 little rivets, what i donīt get cause the Horsemen loves their rivets!
    Last edited by JimPansen; December 16, 2010 at 05:25pm.

Speaking of kids and the Classics figures, my four year old son LOVES his He-Man. He drags it around shouting "I Have the Power!" again and again. Just about his favorite toy.

Oh, and about the bevel in the Power Sword. I think it is a lot more distinct in the half power swords that came with the reissue King Grayskull.
    Last edited by He-Man123; December 16, 2010 at 04:52pm.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man123 View Post
    Speaking of kids and the Classics figures, my four year old son LOVES his He-man. He drags it around shouting "I Have the Power!" again and again. Just about his favorite toy.
    Same thing with my nephew, I gave him one of my extra He-Men for his birthday, and he likes it better than his other stuff like his Toy Story 3 toys.

He's never seen the show, and doesn't know any story aside from the bio on the back that I read to him, and he creates his fun and playtime stories just by the great design and playability of the figure. Kids love this kind of stuff, even today!

And as always, great show guys!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Haven't listened to too much of this episode yet, but wanted to clarify something real quick:

The day early shipping for comic books in the US is an optional, added expense for the retailers to have more time to process them before they go on sale, because unlike many other areas of business, most shops don't get the product early. The street date for those comics isn't changing. New comic day remains Wednesday.

It does, however, change other things behind the scenes for creative types like Val, and even ordering adjustments for retailers like me.
    Yep, I just got back from the comic book store. My dealer said this exact thing. Thanks for clearing this up, Josh.

Again, great to hear Emiliano!
    Last edited by Jon-O; December 16, 2010 at 06:59pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

awesome episode guys!

the ''fan-tastic 4'' - back together again!!!

val - i agree with your comment about getting the chance to go to a toy factory and see how all the figures are put together, i can imagine it's like one big production line - like any other factory - but with the added magic of it being action-figures coming off the roller lines and not like biscuits or soap or something! ... man, i wish they had done trips to toy factories when we were in school! ... how cool would that have been!? ...

dan - loving the ''shameless plug'' ... your work rocks! ... everybody should check out http://www.popculturenetwork.com - awesome stuff to be found inside!!

emiliano - great to have you back as a host on this episode - your knowledge is all-encompassing, all-conquering and ever-interesting! ...

eamon - what's up with the english weather man?! ... it's been crazy here up north! ... worse to come so they say, i'll believe it when i see it ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; December 16, 2010 at 05:57pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Love the "number 162" overdub. Pure awesomeness!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Emiliano Returns!!!! YES!!!

I guess my biggest complaint about He-Man is his belt. Not a fan of those red circles. I wish his belt was colored like the proto---much like Tri-Klops' belt.

Hell, I wish He-Man was colored like Lay Ze-Man's version, PERIOD.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    Love the "number 162" overdub. Pure awesomeness!
    Yeah, I got it wrong. I went to the ToyFare site and the newest number showing at the time was 150.
    And that wasn't right!
    I'm glad I double-checked.

Heroic Warrior
    Nice show guys.

Thanks.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    This sounds like a BIG time retcon based on fan reaction.
    Either way, I'm glad they changed the time span to 5000 years. It's a definite improvement IMO.

Excellent episode guys! I listened to it whilst wrapping presents.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Anyone else having a problem listening to the direct download MP3 version?

I get to 17:54 before it stops. The Media Player then says buffering but nothing happens. Pretty unusual because I have never had a problem with Media Player or listening to the direct download of Gooble.

Just wondering if it's happening to anyone else?
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."