Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: MOTUC Rio Blast discussion

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    True, but nothing this obvious. Reversed shoulders, even fat armor aren't the same as this. Anyone looking at it, not just a toy collector, would immediately ask if it was defective. Even with my opinion of Mattel's QC levels, I actually have a hard time believing this passed muster all the way to production, but I can't see anyway around that conclusion. I just can't see how the world's largest toy company could think something like this was okay...
    Exactly. I'll be honest, I would have never once noticed the shoulder thing if it wasn't pointed out. That doesn't mean it should happen, but I never sat and analyzed shoulders before to realize that the ripples should be on the other side or whatever. Fat armor sucks, no doubt - but it's more of a (bad) creative choice, or could be. This appears, as you say, to be downright defective. That's a whole other ballgame.

While of course Ruben is the first and easiest person to blame, I also lay just as much fault at others with Mattel - no one works in a vacuum, Ruben was hired to do work for hire, there is a whole lot of fail to go around with this one. That no one stood up and said, "Wait a minute, we can't send this out to production in this state" is absolutely stunning, even for Mattel and the continued reduction in quality we have been seeing.

Mattel.
    Making customizers out of regular people since 2008.

Heroic Warrior
    Looking at the images of Rio Blast, from SDCC, on the fwoosh, it almost appears that his chest flap is much more flush with his chest, than on some of the other pictures we have seen. Is this simply because of the angle which the pictures were taken, or is this chest flap more closed?

What do you guys think..?

I gotta say… RIO for the WIN!

He just might become my new favorite MOTUC figure.

Sooo good Horsemen, LOVE that new hairdo too!
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I agree, but if he does look like this in hand i'm going to see what I can do to get that fold down chest plate to sit flush against the armor. If its a raised peg for the chest gun causing the problem i'll drill a hole in the armor for that gun peg to fit into so the hinged chest plate to sit flush.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a little silver sharpie to disguise it when the flap is open.

Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post
    Looking at the images of Rio Blast, from SDCC, on the fwoosh, it almost appears that his chest flap is much more flush with his chest, than on some of the other pictures we have seen. Is this simply because of the angle which the pictures were taken, or is this chest flap more closed?

They stated outright in the review it was an issue, it wasn't just something from the pics.

They also had a production sample, which is what we will get in the mail.

They very well may be using a prototype for SDCC, or may have modified it before showing it. I have a feeling that the Fwoosh pictures are representative of what we will get in our mailboxes.

Hope not, but I think it's the safe bet.

I always thought his was a failed Bravestar character that some how was past off from the Flimation production. Just image, if the He-man line had lasted until 1989, we would have a turtle ninja figure.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post

This is the best pic of Rio I've seen from SDCC and it doesn't look very flush.

sdcc2014_mattel_motuc_38.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Not at all as flush as it should be, anyway, that is for sure! Something needs to be done with the figure, when I get him in hand. Still, I REALLY am looking forward to getting Rio Blast..!

Where are the reviews?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Bought my custom Rio head on e-bay.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Bought my custom Rio head on e-bay.
    I looked at it, butt it wasn't close enough to vintage, and the Mattel one has got a fiercer sculpt, IMO.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Where are the reviews?
    Here you have the TheFwoosh one
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/07/first-l...sics-rio-blast

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Got my order today.
    In hand, the sculpt of the head looks great for Rio, so does the Hydron head I ordered too.
    Only down size is I have to paint them.
    Im not that experienced at heads. Ive mostly done armor & weapon painting on my figures.
    I hope all goes well.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor