Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Rio Blast discussion

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Dang I'm observant. I totally missed the fully armed pics further back. Nice to see there is a plug-in gun for the chest panel. He looks downright impressive with all that hardware. I'm tempted to get two now, one at ease, one armed to the teeth.

I know a lot of folks aren't fond of the character or basic concept, but he makes one heck of an action figure...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I know a lot of folks aren't fond of the character or basic concept, but he makes one heck of an action figure...
    Those same people will be kicking themselves later when pics of this figure in hand drop and they be droolin!

Seriously though, the Horsemen really nailed it with Rio Blast. Really, really nailed it.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Love the new pics of him fully kitted up with all his guns. He looks amazing.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I have to admit, I'm really worried Rio Blast is going to have bloated armor and we'll have the underbelly effect going on. I really hope I'm wrong, but if NA Skeletor is any indication....
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

You know, I totally understand how a cowboy with laser guns doesn't seem to fit this property... from a certain point of view. A lot of versions of MOTU either started out as sword and sorcery, or always were. Rio Blast is more like a Filmation cartoon character, where they were flying around on hover sleds with laser cannons and using phlebotonium force fields form the beginning, but handling swords and wearing furry underpants as a matter of choice.

I'd love to see this guy come with the dual pistols he has in his holsters on the Staction figure. It looks great, but I'm kinda sad that I could never take them out and pose him with them. I expect the revolver arm cannon isn't likely either. If he has his backpack at least that would be cool as that was one of my favourite features of the figure as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

my only concern about this figure is those cables running to his hands. I wonder if they are going to hinder his movements much

Good point. They look cool, but I wonder if they're detachable or if they're glued on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    You know, I totally understand how a cowboy with laser guns doesn't seem to fit this property... from a certain point of view. A lot of versions of MOTU either started out as sword and sorcery, or always were. Rio Blast is more like a Filmation cartoon character, where they were flying around on hover sleds with laser cannons and using phlebotonium force fields form the beginning, but handling swords and wearing furry underpants as a matter of choice.
    Having him come from a planet other than Eternia makes everything ok for me, lol. His figure came about as I was growing out of the line, and I remember seeing him on a commercial and being simply baffled where on Eternia a cowboy had come from. I thought it was stupid, and it made me glad I had grown out of action figures (yeah, right).

Somehow, just having him come from another planet makes it all ok for me. Considering his planet is on the Horde Empire Map, I assume that origin is sticking. I guess I'm easily swayed...I went from not caring about the figure to wanting one when I discovered his alien origins. Story has always been a big part of MOTU, for me. I'm easily hypnotized by the mythos.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

PLEASE ANNOUNCE DRAGSTOR SOON!

AHHHHH you got my hopes up! Seeing this at the top got me thinking that Tokyonever put some more pics up...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Riiiight!
    Tokyonever...where are you?!

Heroic Warrior
    Got hm a hat and a robot horse all painted for him. Now just need to get a staction for the holsters

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Good idea. What type of cowboy doesn't have a hat and a horse?
    bravestarr30302.jpg

(source: http://www.therobotspajamas.com/wp-c...starr30302.jpg)

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I'd love to see this guy come with the dual pistols he has in his holsters on the Staction figure. It looks great, but I'm kinda sad that I could never take them out and pose him with them. I expect the revolver arm cannon isn't likely either. If he has his backpack at least that would be cool as that was one of my favourite features of the figure as a kid.
    I hope the revolver arm cannon is made as a 3rd party add on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    my only concern about this figure is those cables running to his hands. I wonder if they are going to hinder his movements much
    I hope they are removable. I do not much care for them. If anything from the tooling needs to be cut I would expect that to be it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Having him come from a planet other than Eternia makes everything ok for me, lol. His figure came about as I was growing out of the line, and I remember seeing him on a commercial and being simply baffled where on Eternia a cowboy had come from. I thought it was stupid, and it made me glad I had grown out of action figures (yeah, right).

Somehow, just having him come from another planet makes it all ok for me. Considering his planet is on the Horde Empire Map, I assume that origin is sticking. I guess I'm easily swayed...I went from not caring about the figure to wanting one when I discovered his alien origins. Story has always been a big part of MOTU, for me. I'm easily hypnotized by the mythos.
    IIRC even his mini comic says he comes from another planet.
    I hope they adopt fannon that Blast is his last name so that Mattel will make "his brother"
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; May 9, 2014 at 08:55am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Edit: Pictures removed because Mattel asking for.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; July 17, 2014 at 06:45pm.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Rio Blast is more like a Filmation cartoon character, where they were flying around on jet-sled horses with laser canons, living in New Texas during the 23rd century and acting like, very specifically, cowboys. They all dressed the same, and furry underpants were not sold at the local space trading post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaMo4k7iG7s

Filmation/Mattel pulled TexHex from Ghostbusters because they got on a cowboy kick and wanted to make a whole series based of this. Rio Blast was introduced earlier the same year that Bravestarr would air and hit toy shelves. It's also been said that they snuck this character into MOTU because they were afraid Bravestarr wouldn't make it through. Not sure about that last bit, but either way, terrible coincidence.

If you watched toons at that time, it would be a ridiculously obvious, and universally understood point of view. The figure was from one cartoon (we all knew it) but for some reason he appeared as a toy in MOTU. For no apparent reason.

If your just looking back at the figures, and weren't really apart of it when it was going down, then yeah, it's just another action figure and you might not even know what the crap "Bravestarr" is, so it doesn't bother you in the slightest. Also an easy point of view to see, and just as legit.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post

Better pictures coming soon

Great pictures. Thank you!
    Last edited by PaoloKr; July 7, 2014 at 11:06am.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Love him! Can't wait!
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

He looks cool. I have a few nitpicks and I still wish he had a cowboy hat but over all a good figure. I'm ready for my space cowboy from New Texas.
    Yes... in my cannon Rio Blast, Blastarr, & Bravestarr were all Marshalls and friends on New Texas. Each had a separate territory on the planet to protect. Blastarr and Rio Blast follow Kronis to Eternia to arrest him for murdering Bravestarr's wife.

Awesome pics, Thanks so much as always TOKYONEVER!

He looks so cool. His armor fits just right, tons of new sculpting on him. His face is a perfect 'cowboy' face also! Rio Blast would probably make a good "Man-At-Arms".

Not as fat as some, but still too fat. I guess Ruben is still flipping the bird at fans from "beyond the grave" so to speak
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    He looks cool! Can't wait for his bio!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    OMG, now I know who's the best figure of 2014, at least for me, hehe, great pics Tokyonever, thanks as always.

It almost looks as if design didn't screw him up. That would be a welcome change after figures like NA Skeletor
    I don't think he looks too fat. The fold down part of his body armor of course makes it look a little thicker but I have no issue with this.
    Awesome sticker included!

The figure looks good. He is wearing an armor not like Intergalatic Skeletor or Sea Hawks vest so from that point he looks fine at least to me.

His head sculpt is great and his action features look decent.

None the less, i have never been a fan of his as i am one of those who think he looks nothing like MOTU and it´s barbaric origin even Ninjor whom i don´t like for the same reason has the furry pants even though he was just created for boys so they have a ninja figure and this character is just for all the little boys who wanted a cowboy.

I´m happy for those who always wanted him and as a figure he looks good. I never looked forward to his release but i´m glad design didn´t do something to him!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    *SNIP*
    Better pictures coming soon
    Thanks so much, Tokyo! Rio looks just as gorgeous in his final form as the early sculpts hinted. He's going to be awesome come September!
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!