Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ho ho ho! - Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 030 Discussion!

Ho ho ho! - Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 030 Discussion!

Episode 030 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The gang talks about some of the new MOTUC bios, where over the course of the discussion we touch on topics such as
    our favorite original MOTU merchandise,
    the problems with a book about MOTU collectibles,
    the dream of Hot Toys MOTU movie figures,
    Sea Hawk,
    Bow's gold armor,
    and the origin of Bow.

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    Bow
    Battle Armor Skeletor

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    (none this week)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 23 minutes, 34 seconds

Direct link for Episode 030

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Fantastic. Going to listen to this as I relax before Christmas morning.

Perfect. Just in time. Thank you.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Great, I've been following these dinners every week religiously. Definitely one of the best new features the Org has to offer. Thank you guys for the entertainment and all the giggles, keep it up and Happy Holidays.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Wow! Just wow... Merry Christmas, everyone!!!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    As a big Alcala Pre-Filmation mini-comic fan, I like the idea of making that era's He-Man canon as Oo-Larr. I really like the idea that he was running around as He-Man before Adam, just like it was in reality. Inserting that little period just before the whole Filmation-Era Adam, Orko and Cringer works quite nicely.

Actually, I think that Skeletor thinks that Oo-Larr and Adam are one and the same. Because He-Man has been seen throughout the ages, it's possible that people might see him akin to Zodak or the Sorceress, some immortal warrior who protects the secrets of Castle Grayskull. "He-Man" retired after Skeletor was thrown back behind the Mystic Wall and came back out of retirement after he heard that Skeletor was back.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Which reminds me of something else...He-Ro was also running around with gold while everyone was enslaved by the Snake Men. Grayskull was a slave before he became a king. So it isn't just Bow...hell, She-Ra is running around with gold on too.

Maybe these guys are symbols of freedom to the oppressed with their clean clothes, Backstreet Boys haircuts and golden weapons and armor.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    As a big Alcala Pre-Filmation mini-comic fan, I like the idea of making that era's He-Man canon as Oo-Larr. I really like the idea that he was running around as He-Man before Adam, just like it was in reality. Inserting that little period just before the whole Filmation-Era Adam, Orko and Cringer works quite nicely.

Actually, I think that Skeletor thinks that Oo-Larr and Adam are one and the same. Because He-Man has been seen throughout the ages, it's possible that people might see him akin to Zodak or the Sorceress, some immortal warrior who protects the secrets of Castle Grayskull. "He-Man" retired after Skeletor was thrown back behind the Mystic Wall and came back out of retirement after he heard that Skeletor was back.
    It is kind of poetic that Oo-Larr was around just before Adam, paralleling how the Alcala era happened just before the retcons made in prep for Filmation. Streamlining everything is probably the easiest thing they could do, because I wonder how effective it would have been to say they were all parallel universes... and that at some later point, they (all counterparts) all came together.

I could see Skeletor thinking they're one and the same, because it is 20 years later, and if he only met on a few occasions, he wouldn't remember exactly what he looked like, but because of the resemblance, he'd probably think He-Man was immortal or placed in suspended animation, or rejuvinated, or something. After all, on Eternia, anything is possible.

Merry Christmas!

I have aquestion, all these He-Man looked the same? ... there was no lion, lizard or another race or gender that keep the swords hidden?

I understand that Oo-Larr sent Skeletor back to the Snake Mountain but I would like Skeletor finally killing Oo-Larr so he would be really surprised when he sees He-Man (Adam) "again".

awesome show guys! ...

bow can wait - get me BA skeletor already! ...

on the brief mention of sdcc 2011, i'm really aiming to make it ... just not sure when tickets are going to be on sale again? ... does anybody know? ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; December 27, 2010 at 11:03am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    It is kind of poetic that Oo-Larr was around just before Adam, paralleling how the Alcala era happened just before the retcons made in prep for Filmation. Streamlining everything is probably the easiest thing they could do, because I wonder how effective it would have been to say they were all parallel universes... and that at some later point, they (all counterparts) all came together.
    Crisis on Infinite Eternias?

The Unnamed One is the Anti-Monitor of the story, while The Filmation He-Man, the Alcala He-Man, the MYP He-Man, NA He-Man and the 1987 movie He-Man join forces to stop him!

Eternia-1: The Filmation Era
    Eternia-2: The Alcala Era
    Eternia-3: The Texiera Era
    Eternia-4: The MYP Era
    Eternia-5: The 1987 movie
    Eternia-6: The STAR comics Era
    Eternia-7: The DC comics Era
    Eternia-8: The UK comics Era
    Eternia-9: King He-Man/Evil Duncan Era
    Eternia-10: Emiliano's Homecoming Era (Future alternate reality)
    Eternia-11: Dare the son of He-Man (Future alternate reality)

I could see Skeletor thinking they're one and the same, because it is 20 years later, and if he only met on a few occasions, he wouldn't remember exactly what he looked like, but because of the resemblance, he'd probably think He-Man was immortal or placed in suspended animation, or rejuvinated, or something. After all, on Eternia, anything is possible.
    I think He-Man might be seen as some immortal champion because he's been around in one form or another for 5000 years.

And what about the German Audioplay Era?!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Fantastic episode! A great way to unwind after a busy Christmas day.

I really like those Panosh Place erasers! Before I ever had the Orko figure, I used to have the Orko eraser. He actually looked really good, except he was missing the "O" on his robe so I tried to draw it in with a pen.

I agree 100% with Emiliano about the Bow bio, and this goes for many of the bios across the board. Instead of focusing on trying to tell pieces of an overarching story, it would behoove the bio writers to focus on telling their story through the experiences of the individual characters. Show us their motivations and elaborate on what makes them an important part of the tale. It is possible to work in pieces of the overall story, but it should be done by fleshing out the individual characters and showing us their significance.

I would also add that good judgment should be employed in deciding which elements from the past (scrapped material or otherwise) might be retained for use in the bios. They don't all work well together.

And I hate to sound like a nattering nabob of negativism, but the Battle Armor Skeletor bio kinda leaves me cold as well. Ooh la la shouldn't have encountered Skeletor (my opinion), nor should the Battle Armor have been such an item of convenience.

Okay enough critiques. I will now praise the awesomeness of the Keldor18 voicemails! LMAO!! Surreal and hilarious at the same time!

~Pennielle~:
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 26, 2010 at 01:47am.

Crisis on Infinite Eternias?

The Unnamed One is the Anti-Monitor of the story, while The Filmation He-Man, the Alcala He-Man, the MYP He-Man, NA He-Man and the 1987 movie He-Man join forces to stop him!

I think He-Man might be seen as some immortal champion because he's been around in one form or another for 5000 years.
    HAHAHA! PERFECT! I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    And what about the German Audioplay Era?!

Oh yes, we would need those...!!!

Thanks so much for making TGR the fansite of the week! You guys really really rock.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Bow knows forums!

Heroic Warrior
    The Battle Armor Skeletor Bio is full with informations, but this cloning thing AND robbing Adora AND battling Oo-Larr...

I would love to see that To Do-list of Skeletor...

Would have been cool, if they explained, why this armor is so powerful, maybe Skeletor got some artifacts build in or it is bonded to him, like the Guyver unit

Great episode. I don't think these bio's are that bad. Yeah I don't like Bow's really name but don't mind him being in love with Adora as its from the style guide, even though people are more familiar with the him being in love with She-Ra like in the Filmation cartoon.
    Don't mind the Skeletors armor enabling him to pass through the wall but I think Hordak must of had a hand in creating thos armor as it says the second time he created it it didn't have the magical ability's, plus it was on Hordaks orders thats he went though the wall to kidnap the twins. Now while I don't like the multiple He-Mans idea, with regards to your comments about when Skeletor fights Oo-Larr first then when he fights the Adam He-Man years later he would think its just anther He-Man. Well Skeletor would not know Oo-larr is a He-Man he would just think he's another warrior, its not like they wear name tags.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    I know I'm probably pretty much alone with this opinion, but think the cloning of Teela has its merits too. If striking Skeletor three times to defeat him fits squarely in the classic folk leged territory, the immaculate conception of Teela isn't that far off. I really didn't even notice it before Wolfsfang's mythology comparison thread, but it makes the Sorceress a figure similar to many important characters of ancient mythology. Virginal birth is an old classic, and the person born this way is usually seen as supernaturally pure both in body and spirit. Same often goes for the virginal mother (when there is one anyhow, as some characters aren't born of a woman). But on top of that, some old mythologies contain the mystery of a god or demigod giving birth to her/himself, which in a sense is happening with Sorceress/Teela. Now, calling it "cloning" may make it seem really banal and even trite, but the idea in itself is stuff of old myth and legend.

I do find it amusing however how the bio makes it seem Skeletor had to have been real busy to manage to steal Adora, send her to Etheria and still manage to clone the Sorceress before Oo-Larr caught up with him...

By the way, Earth really has an unusually great amount of easily available gold for a planet of this type. I just read an article this morning about how basically all of Earth's gold should be stuck somewhere deep near the solid iron core of the planet, if not for some meteors and asteroids bringing extra gold here much after our planet cooled. (Then again, Bow's armor might just be gold plated...)

[I almost posted a huge wall of text about suspension of disbelief and deviations from realism here, but then realized I was just littering the thread. The point I reached at the end of it anyhow was that you can't expect a children's toyline to stand up to same kind of criticism as fiction created for adults.]
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Now while I don't like the multiple He-Mans idea, with regards to your comments about when Skeletor fights Oo-Larr first then when he fights the Adam He-Man years later he would think its just anther He-Man. Well Skeletor would not know Oo-larr is a He-Man he would just think he's another warrior, its not like they wear name tags.
    If Oo-Larr is the same guy from the early mini-comics, I'm assuming that Oo-Larr and Adam looked the same and dressed the same, so there's not too much distinction between the two. With the whole He-Man myth idea, it's not too crazy to assume that people could think that He-Man is an immortal champion of good.

Halfway through now. Fun as always.

Val,
    Would you concider doing a He-man comic if Mattel would give you all the written out bios as a plot/ base?

Is it possible for you(r company) to just do a minicomic based on 2 or 3 bios and pitch it in public to Mattel like the 4HM did with their Battleram? Or is that totally "not done"?

Imagine a Comic based on the bios canon sort of like a spotlight on someone/ something specific each time and we would get the timeline/ order to read at the end. Just like the bios and maybe a bit like Icons of Evil where the focus was on (the origins of) one character.

I would LOVE that.

Elder Councilman
    Hey guys, here's a thought about Bow's gold:

the evil Horde is an oppressive regime that rules Etheria.

if gold is valuable there, why hasn't the Horde already taken it from him? Maybe because he stands a chance at fighting while the average Etherian wouldn't.

Does Bow really want to make the average Etherian peasant a target for the Horde? I highly doubt he does.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Would you concider doing a He-man comic if Mattel would give you all the written out bios as a plot/ base?
    Sure! As long as they are dictating the plot, I'd be on board.
    If Mattel said "here's the plot, run with it", then it would make things soooo much easier.
    We could take that and go back and forth to flesh it out further.

Plus, I'd love to manage such a project again, especially a mini-comic project again so I can one more reach out to up-and-coming fans and work to get more fans involved.

Is it possible for you(r company) to just do a minicomic based on 2 or 3 bios and pitch it in public to Mattel like the 4HM did with their Battleram? Or is that totally "not done"?
    Maybe.
    Always tough to tell. A lot of that is "right place, right time" stuff.

In Dog we trust.