Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 031 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 031 Discussion!

Episode 031 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Adam Tyner, James Eatock and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The gang comes together to reflect on the history of fandom in Part 1 of our Roast Gooble Dinner holiday special!
    We talk about the history of He-man.org, and remember the good and the bad of the past.

Join us for a walk down memory lane, including in this episode
    • The early days with Jason Moore and Matt R
    • The Crow and the goth days of the late 90s
    • Val Staples, the first mod, and Dan Eardley, the Freshman
    • Val's "take over" of He-Man.org
    • Busta Toons secret identity revealed
    • James Eatock's and Zadoc Angell's Episode Review Site
    • Dan the moderator
    • Pixel Dan's video review debut
    • Eamon's DVD history
    • The poorly attended 2002 debut in the UK
    • James crosses paths with Hallmark
    • Emiliano and Masters Unbound and the Homecoming comic
    • Fans: the lifeblood of MOTU and POP
    • He-Man.org's Opening the Vault
    • Mattel working with He-Man.org in 2001
    • James and Zadoc's cartoon guide for Mattel and MYP (AKA: James gets shafted)
    • James and the BBC (AKA: James gets shafted again)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 59 minutes, 13 seconds

Direct link for Episode 031

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Sounds like an excellent episode.

Always love a good walk down the memory-lane.
    (mostly because I'm always excited to learn about the things that I didn't get to participate in, or missed entirely while they were going on)

*starts downloading*

And because I know Josh will have an hard time at locating these links, here is an help:

Homecoming
    The Masters Unbound art Gallery
    The Controversial piece by Marcel Vandevelde

YES new episode!

Great episode! Listening to it now and so far soo good. Great to hear a US and UK perspective as well to hear the difference between the progress in the two main countries for He-Man and She-Ra

Looking forward to listening to this episode.
    I still kick myself over missing the UK 2002 launch, I really thought it was press only on the first day so I went on the second day. I was gutted when I found out. I should up load my photos from that to an album on my .org profile when I get chance.

Edit:
    just uploaded my photos from the UK 200x launch exhibit:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=9454
    Last edited by 13977; December 29, 2010 at 07:37am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    I'm going to download this to listen to just for any stories about the debut of the new He-Man series in 2002 (was it that long ago?). A nice, funny evening where a bodybuilder/model with tattoos walked around with a big sword shouting out "I have the power!" as often as possible!

Getting it through the iPhone app now! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Heroic Warrior
    I was thinking about the international community and their fansites, especially Germany.

I think, the reason is, why there is not that much of interaction is of course the language barrier. Although English is teached in school about decades, most of us don`t have to speak it in our daily routine.

So there are a lot of users here, but the need to join the .org is not as immense, as many things are more easier to handle in Germany, such the marketplace with trading, payment & shipping, etc.

Personally Im enjoying all the sites Im registered and have enugh luck to have a great fanbase where I grew up and also can interact with other users around the world here on .org.

hey guys...great episode!

im german...and i think the language is the only reason which keeps the fan-bases apart..imagine all the cartoons get translated and dubed

but yes, He-Man is huge over here

i grew up with those GREAT story-tapes that were produced here in germany with some unique character origins, and an awesome (very, very evil) Skeletor and wonderfull music

and now filmations Masters of the Universe, She-Ra and the new adventures are back on tv...daily! they even showed the christmas-special on 24.12 some days ago

again...i think the language is the only problem there is

good journey!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by THE RAW View Post
    hey guys...great episode!

im german...and i think the language is the only reason which keeps the fan-bases apart..imagine all the cartoons get translated and dubed

but yes, He-Man is huge over here

i grew up with those GREAT story-tapes that were produced here in germany with some unique character origins, and an awesome (very, very evil) Skeletor and wonderfull music

and now filmations Masters of the Universe, She-Ra and the new adventures are back on tv...daily! they even showed the christmas-special on 24.12 some days ago

again...i think the language is the only problem there is

good journey!
    Yeah, i agree, it`s a shame, that the EUROPA audio plays weren`t translated in english, they have a really dark atmosphere, especially listening to them as a kid.

Half way through it. I didn't know any of this stuff regarding the history of he-man.org and other fansites, so a fascinating listen so far...

really looking forward this this episode ...

i only joined the .org at the end of '08 so i guess i'm a late-comer ... but, i used to check the site out all the time when i first discovered it (back in '03/'04 i think?) until, i guess, the release of MOTUC when i decided to become a forum member! ... i had wanted to join earlier, but i remember seeing all the 200x stuff when it was out and i just didn't get it at all ... i guess MOTUC made me realise i had something to talk about and collect again in terms of MOTU, because 200x kind of alienated me and made me feel disappointed (much like NA did when i was a kid!) ...

it was a mixture of he-man.org and pixel dan's work over at the PCN (in particular his MOTU video reviews) that got me back into MOTU! ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; December 29, 2010 at 11:19am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, the reason is, why there is not that much of interaction is of course the language barrier.
    Yep, that's what I always assumed too.
    I think James said that on the show? Someone did I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    awesome!!
    Thanks for that!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    James Eatock has been on Chronicles and Gooble and- Masterscast! We have our first triple crown He-Man podcaster! Congrats, Busta!

I thought it might have been Jack!

now.. get to work on the She-Ra book!

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Looking forward to listening to this episode.
    I still kick myself over missing the UK 2002 launch, I really thought it was press only on the first day so I went on the second day. I was gutted when I found out. I should up load my photos from that to an album on my .org profile when I get chance.

Edit:
    even though i don't like 200x - those photos are awesome! ...

i'm about a half-a-way through the podcast at the moment, and this is just great ... really great episode! ... i love hearing about all this stuff ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; December 29, 2010 at 11:11am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

We had fun doing it. I can't believe we actually recorded as long as we did, and there's so much that didn't get said!

I also forgot to mention our year-end poll in the show,
    where folks should vote for their top 5 MOTUC toys in 2010.
    There's only two days left to vote!
    Get your vote in today!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I really am sad I missed the rest of the conversation. Stupid work!

Enjoyed listening to the part I missed, and can't wait for the next part! I also love hearing about all of this history. A lot of this is new to me as well, and as you all can tell, my history with MOTU is not near as deep as the rest of the gang on the show. Heck, my history really just began in 2007.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    We had fun doing it. I can't believe we actually recorded as long as we did, and there's so much that didn't get said!
    can't wait for part 2 - that was a blast! ...

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    A very, very cool retrospective of the history of the MOTU online fan community since the internet's infancy! Really cool to listen to and I remember a lot of it! He-Man/MOTU was also one of the very first things I searched for when I first got online with AOL and a dialup modem that made sounds for 10 minutes before it connected.

I remember visiting everything mentioned. The only thing I didn't take part in was the mailing list. I kinda wish I did, I feel a little left out in that department amongst the rest of the old timer fans.

Adam Tyner's site was one of the first sites I've ever visited. I think I also remember wondering why it was ctyner, glad he mentioned that on here. I also remember frequently visiting Busta and Zadoc's episode site as well. As a huge Filmation fan as a kid, I really loved that stuff a lot and checked for updates often. This also led me to buying a set of like 12 VHS tapes of all the episodes. The quality was watchable at the time but man was it crappy compared to the dvds of now. At the time it was awesome though, even had a lot of USA Cartoon Express commercial breaks on those tapes. I still have the set of them today in a box somewhere!

I remember lurking/reading He-Man.org for almost a year before I actually registered and started posting. Digging out my old personal VHS tape of He-Man/She-Ra episodes is why I finally decided to sign up. The commemorative series of figures happened around the same time so that pushed me into signing up too.

I also remember when TNI (Toynewsi) was ADC. I definitely remember Pixel Dan aka Mandalorian30 among others in that community as well. I was also a moderator for ADC's MOTU section. Good memories there. This was when the 2002 era was bumpin. Eventually it died out and I was out and about, didn't have internet for a quite while so I kind of just disappeared for a while.

I just recently got back into the game a few figures deep into the MOTUC line when I kinda settled down a bit and dont go out and party nowhere near as much anymore. I don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon if I can help it! MOTU means too much to me.

One of the most entertaining and informative episodes so far! Great cast to hear from! Definitely looking forward to part 2.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Great episode indeed and I'm already waiting part II.

Nice to hear .org's "birth story" and how everything went in general.

I found he-man.org also around 1999 when I started to collect He-Man toys, but I registered here long after that.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I also remember when TNI (Toynewsi) was ADC. I definitely remember Pixel Dan aka Mandalorian30 among others in that community as well. I was also a moderator for ADC's MOTU section. Good memories there. This was when the 2002 era was bumpin. Eventually it died out and I was out and about, didn't have internet for a quite while so I kind of just disappeared for a while.
    Yeah!! We totally tag teamed that forum! *high fives* That was the first real forum I was a part of (He-Man.org followed shortly after), so definitely a lot of great memories there!!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    James Eatock has been on Chronicles and Gooble and- Masterscast! We have our first triple crown He-Man podcaster! Congrats, Busta!
    Do I get a prize?!

Seriously though, it was a LOT of fun to appear on Roast Gooble!

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    now.. get to work on the She-Ra book!
    I'll be working out the "plan of action" (alongside Alex Hawkey) early in the New Year...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I agree with my esteemed associate, Count Marzo, that it is definitely interesting to hear the history of an organization. I can tuck into my memory storage for later use and abuse...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I hve not listened yet but if the 2002 debut you speak of was the one in August in a museum in London then I attended that. It was pretty poor,I had more MOTU toys and merchandise at home than they did there. I still have the competition form they were handing out at the entrance.