View Poll Results: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1980's MOTU Toyline!!!

161 72.85%
  • DC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Star's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Filmation's MOTU Cartoon!!!

48 21.72%
  • The Secret Of The Sword Movie!!!

1 0.45%
  • MOTU Live Action Movie!!!

0 0%
  • POP Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • POP Cartoon!!!

3 1.36%
  • NA Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • NA Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • Commemorative MOTU Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • 2002's MOTU Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • MYP's MOTU Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • MVC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • MOTUC Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

4 1.81%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

We're all here due to our liking some part of the Masters Of The Universe franchise whether it be MOTU, POP, NA, or something else related. What was your introduction to the Masters Of The Universe franchise?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I was too young to actually remember which but it was either the original 1980s toyline or the Filmation He-Man cartoon. I'm pretty sure my first figure was Beast Man though. I distinctly remember his vivid colors and that white and blue face.

Definitely a vintage purist.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Even though Filmation became my canon of choice immediately after I saw my first episode, I had some of the vintage toys before the cartoon ever aired.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    It was the He-man and Webstor toys; they came with the Obelisk and the Clash of Arms mini comics.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

I honestly don't remember which was first, it's either the toys or the Filmation cartoon.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

The Filmation cartoon was what got me interested in MOTU. Then I got He-Man and Skeletor for Christmas when I was 6. They were my very first action figures ever. It was through MOTU that I graduated out of Little People and Tonka trucks and into the world of action figures. But as much as I loved the toys, I have to acknowledge that it was the cartoon that got me into the toys.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Woops, clicked the wrong one. I was first introduced to MOTU via the MYP cartoon series, not the toy line.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The 80's toyline from the beginning.

Teela was blonde, Skeletor was a demon from another world and He-Man was a jungle barbarian who was chosen by the Goddess.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 31, 2010 at 11:11am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

The 80's toyline and followed shortly by the Filmation series. I read the mini comics, but I never really liked the idea of He-Man being as weak as he was portrayed in them.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It's hard for me to remember the exact response due to the frequent head injuries as a child but I'm going to say that the toyline was my initial exposure to the MOTU franchise.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The Filmation cartoon was the first MOTU thing I saw.

However, it was the vintage toys and boxart that really got me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I was too young to actually remember which but it was either the original 1980s toyline or the Filmation He-Man cartoon. I'm pretty sure my first figure was Beast Man though. I distinctly remember his vivid colors and that white and blue face.

Definitely a vintage purist.
    yeah, same here. don't remember if i watched the cartoon first or had a toy first. i think my first figs were heman, skeletor, and beastman.

For me it was the toyline, I first saw Skeletor and was completely enthralled, and then Zodac. The rest is history!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Mine was the vintage line, but it kinda co-incided with the release of the Filmation cartoon series.

In 1983 I was five, in my first year at school, and I was just kinda becoming "aware" of this great new toyline, but not enough to know all about it or buy into it yet. I seem to recall that in the UK, originally only a couple of Filmation episodes (maybe about four) were shown initially, and my friend telling me about this great new cartoon series that was on.
    That made me look into the toyline, and save for my first figure (He-Man). The rest, as they say, is history.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I remember I had a vintage he-man and Battle cat when I first saw the cartoon, so the toys were the beginning for me. I wish I could remember what the exact first encounter was... did I just see it in the store? Toy commercial? Random gift?

Mysteries abound!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    For me, it was the vintage toy line followed shortly thereafter by the cartoon.

The first thing I remember is being completely transfixed by the Castle Grayskull commercial with He-Man and Beast Man. With the timpani drum and blaring horns, it had an "epic" fantasy quality about it. After that, I recall looking at the unique colorful figures and especially staring at the mysterious box art for Castle Grayskull in the store.

I eventually got up "da noive" to ask my folks for a figure. The first one I got was Faker (He-Man Meets Ram-Man was the minicomic). I picked up one of the DC mini-series issues at some point, and the cartoon came out not long after and that's what really pounded the Photanium nail into my brain.

As much as I was (and am) fond of those Texeira/Cohn minicomics, it was definitely the cartoon that fully pulled me into that world and made me care about the characters. Alas, I never had the Alcala/Glut minicomics until way later on. The first figures I had already came with the Texeira/Cohn comics, so I must have just missed the first batch.

For me, it was the 80's toy line, then FILMation.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I'm pretty certain that I first came to know the property through Filmation's toon. I love it all though!!!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    for me it was the Filmation series that started it all. the first ep I remember seeing was reign of the monster.
    I used to watch motu every afternoon at 3:30. Even when we moved & had very bad tv reception I still watched it every day even though i could barely see it due to bad snowy reception.

I went to shopko with my parents one day & saw a whole isle full of these cool new figures.... at first I grabbed Ramman, but then went back after seeing how barely poseable he was, & grabbed the green guy (merman).

So that's how motu started for me. My parents would get me some of the figures for birthdays & christmas, and so would my sister. My Grandma got me castle grayskull, two bad ('two for the price of one') & Trap-jaw (who i wanted for the longest time but was hard to find). one morning on my BD my parents came up to my room & I unwrapped Modulok. I still have that figure complete with all his parts, and even the minicomic he came with. he was one of my favorites & still is.

another christmas morning i opened up kobra khan & orko.
    my sister took me to see the motu movie back in 87, but I never collected any of the movie figures.... i was kind of disappointed with the movie. i always liked the cartoon better. some of the other kids at school were also into motu, as well as a kid two houses down from me. I remember getting mantenna & having my mom take him back because he was 'too ugly'.... but then i'd sneak back to the store & buy him again. lol he was a cool looking figure!!
    My grandma liked Orko, because he was 'cute'. I'd look at the pics of the figures in the minicomics and use that as sort of a checklist & circle the ones i wanted badly, like Trap-jaw, modulok & king hiss. so some of my old minicomics have certain characters circled. lol

I remember getting Webstor for christmas & being upset his backpack didn't work properly, and getting really upset when he fell into our basement's cystern some time later.
    my dad got me Clawful after I made a fuss about not getting anything on one particular trip to the store. As a kid i always expected to get something every time i went to the store. what a spoiled kid i was.

i almost always broke the springs in their waists.... I'd use that power punch so often I'd wear them out. clawful could cave in a mountain withthat big claw of his.
    I had some neighbors come over to play once & after they left I found my Jitsu, fisto & Trap-jaw all had missing hands....never to be seen again. and my fisto actually had dents in his fist, not sure if that was intended or a molding error, but it was cool.

I never saw sOTS until a few years ago, when I bought it on ebay, long before they came out with the dvd releases; and I do remember skipping out of school to sneak back home to watch the christmas Special when it was on tv. my parents were both working & my sister was in school, so I was home by myself that day. I got a few detentions for that, but oh well. I was in middle school & lived a couple blocks from there so i walked home after being dropped off.

I'd never seen the original minicomics till the commemorative figures came out.... kind of meh, to me but interesting to see what motu started out as.
    Last edited by Multibot; December 31, 2010 at 04:05pm.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I remember having the toys before ever seeing the toon.

Shopko huh that were I bought my snakemen. I was late finding out about motu 200x. I had to go all over looking for them. I bought most from conventions & on E-bay.
    Last edited by kylun flac; December 31, 2010 at 10:34pm.

Old vintage toyline. Well....okay, it was my brother's. He's three years older than me, so he got this stuff before I knew what to do with it. I don't know which were his first figures. My first MotU memory was Mom bringing home a mysterious Arbor Drugs bag (obviously with toys in it) and putting it in the closet. At some point in the day, she took it out and told me and my brother to split up the figures in there (possibly four in the bag?) I only remember one of the figures in there, for some reason: Zodac. I think I only remember him because my brother picked him right away, and I had wanted him. Then, thankfully, he put him back down and I snapped 'em up.

The toys quickly all became mine anyway, because my brother moved on to sports real quick. So I inherited everything, including his Castle Grayskull that he got sometime before I was recording memories (still had the box for the longest time until a big flood sometime in 2000). I think before I ever technically obtained the toys, I carried Skeletor around with me everywhere. Dunno how my brother felt about that...I was probably just the annoying baby that chewed on everything. Either way, the toys and the mini-comics (that I couldn't read at the time) made a big impression on me.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

80's Toy Line. I got Snake Mountain, Battle Armor Skeletor, Whiplash, and Mekaneck all for Christmas one year when I was young. Started my love of MOTU.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    My parents weren't big toy buyers so I never really had MOTU figures before the cartoon as far as I can remember. The cartoon definately fueled the fire for MOTU figures. I was nearly 7 when the cartoon first aired so I'm going with the Filmation cartoon on this one.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

My first experience was sat in my mothers kitchen. I was either 3 or 4. I was eating my snack and just after watching Bosco the clown then He-Man came on, it was incredable with He-Man and Ram Man both on an adventure in the Attack Track.

After that day I only cought the odd clip here and there when mum wasn't looking as she thought I was too young for it. When I was 6 we moved to the UK. After my first day at primary school I came home and found He-Man on TV. This time mum let me watch it. Well after it had finished I went to the other end of the room and started role playing with some of my cars when I happened to glance back at the TV.

What I saw started a life long obsession. On walked this beautiful blonde girl who said she was He-Man's twin sister....then BOOM COLOUR, FANTASTIC MUSIC, LIGHT! She-Ra had arrived in my life and I went a bit gaga! He-Man went from being the coolest thing ever to pailing in comparasion in the space of the TV adverts, but I still loved him. I became a fan of the Power Hour every day and never missed an episode if I could help it.

I got my first He-Man, Skeletor and Teela figure a few weeks later, I remember using Teela as a stand in She-Ra and not being happy about it. I eventually got a She-Ra and Catra but I was never fully happy with them. I wasn't bothered with their hair, just that they didn't look lile the cartoon versoin of their characters. The toys and the mini comics consfused me because they looked nothing like the cartoon, they were darker and strange looking. I grew to love them all, but the heart of the brand for me will always be the cartoon and it looks like there are many other fans who feel ths same way. Hopefully one day there will be a true Filmation toy line.
    Last edited by Angel-T; January 1, 2011 at 06:04pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I can't really remember, but I believe it was the 80's toys that came first for me.. But the toon came right after I think. Basicly I can't remember MotU not being in my life.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/