View Poll Results: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1980's MOTU Toyline!!!

161 72.85%
  • DC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Star's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Filmation's MOTU Cartoon!!!

48 21.72%
  • The Secret Of The Sword Movie!!!

1 0.45%
  • MOTU Live Action Movie!!!

0 0%
  • POP Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • POP Cartoon!!!

3 1.36%
  • NA Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • NA Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • Commemorative MOTU Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • 2002's MOTU Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • MYP's MOTU Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • MVC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • MOTUC Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

4 1.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    As far as I can remember it was a combination of things. We moved the summer prior to the first MOTU cartoon episode airing. My new neighborhood had a kid in it who had a lot of the new figures. We played in the neighborhood a lot and he brought over some of his figures. That fall MOTU aired on TV and I caught the show after school. My friends at school were watching it too and we eventually hung out and even watched it at eachothers house. I somehow managed to acquire a He-man because someone I knew had an extra one. It was during the next year I started getting figures myself. I still have that He-man. It was Christmas the next year that I got BA He-man and a bunch others.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

I voted Filmation, though I admittedly dont remember. I remember having some of the toys and watching the cartoon. I realize now that I'm older that I came in about the time of the Cartoon, even if I was aware of the toys and had some before.

The Toys I loved more than the toon, but they basically both came into my vision at the same time, so it was at least after the toon had started airing that I came into He-Man.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!

Other.......

I chose "Other" it's because I got hit by the MOTUFania with the commercial for the series. Not the series itself, at least it wasn't yet.

The first time I saw the commercial for the show, it just said He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Coming Soon and the name itself got me hooked. Then the clips got me hooked further, then the show.

After several episodes, I went to the local market and saw the figures hanging on the pegs and even though the characters wasn't introduced in the show yet, it got me so intrigued that I just fell in the MOTUverse even further!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior kinggreyskull2011's Avatar
    It was a combination of BOTH Filmation and the Mattel Vintage toyline, because both got me fanatical about the MOTU in the 80s...

And...when my interest in the Filmation cartoon dwindled, I was still collecting the toyline for a good few years!

Also, I have to give a special mention to the golden book releases, they ruled! Especially the Golden Super Adventure series and to a slightly lesser extent the Golden Hardcovers...they definitely got my imagination going!!!

Disciple of ********s
    As many here 1980's toy line all the way, Filmation was just the 'rounding' out of characters to me. Hmm, feeling kind of old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    The first thing I remember is the Castle Grayskull commercial with He-Man and Beast Man.
    That was the first time I had ever heard of The Toy line that would be one of my favorites as I was growing up.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Chose the Toyline. The first figure I purchased was Ram Man. I still have the same figure although he has seen better days and I can't find his axe any longer.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

My introduction was probably the 80s toy line. Though it's very possible that I read the DC comics Superman/He-Man short story that appears in Batman 353 (amongst several other DC comics of '82) first. =)

Attached Images Attached Images

the 80ies toy line for me.... it was a few years till i saw the much disappointing cartoon..i did like the music from the toon..but thats about it.

I think it was Filmation's orginal cartoon He-Man. Soon after it I started collect toys and comics. My first action figure.....was.....not suprise for many people: He-Man.

For me it was the Filmation Cartoon, much as it was with Transformers, I knew or cared nothing of the toys until I specifically looked for them after watching the cartoon....I was not and am not now a comic fan, so TV was my main exposure to the toys I owned as a kid. I was 7 when MOTU came on TV, and honestly I can't remember what I played with prior to them....It's like no other toys existed for me before MOTU.... I think I just watched TV....I don't know what I did....

All I know is MOTU came first then everything else, Transformers, Voltron, Centurions, Silverhawks, MASK....basically from 1983 on is when I remember playing with toys....

So in my memories MOTU was always there, and once I learned of MOTUC, I had to get my childhood toys back, but in some cases better, in some not....I still prefer the Vintage colors on MAA, much more than the card back colors, and likely that is why I like SMAA's buck much better, even if it does have the longer briefs and techno crap on it.

I remember zipping Trap Jaw around my room on fishing line....that actually made Trap Jaw my second most wanted as a MOTUC figure, therefore he was my 4th figure bought. After Faker, my first most wanted....since I was denied ever having him as a kid....a friend had him, and once I learned of his existence, the stores never carried him again....so it took me 30 years to own a Faker....and I couldn't be happier with him.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

As far back as I can remember, I remembered seeing Masters of the Universe toys on the shelves when I was in pre-school and I can never forget it. My earliest memory of the Filmation toon was He-Man and She-ra riding on Swiftwind. From that point until I was well into my teens, the only character I knew were He-Man, She-ra and Skeletor until I read through a Wizard magazine that told me more.

Heroic Warrior
    I found the toys at Winn's and started with a blue wing Stratos. I was hooked.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Filmation cartoon!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    Somehow I had the toys before I knew of the cartoon. I guess that makes sense being remember getting Mer-Man on my 4yr old birthday. That means someone got me the original four figures when I was 3yrs old- before the cartoon came out.

So I can blame my mother for my current day afflictions!

80's Sears catalog. So, so cool.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I was playing with MOTU figures a full year BEFORE Filmation got their G-Rated hands on the property. You know, back when He-Man actually used his sword for sword fights and not a grappling hook.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    For me it was the toyline. I got the He-man and Battlecat 2-pack for my 7th birthday. I immediately fell in love. Christmas that year i got Beast-man and Mer-man... my sister got Teela. This was 1982 a year before the Filmation cartoon aired. To be honest I only loved the cartoon BECAUSE of the toys not the other way around.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow...so many voted for the TOYLINE itself. I thought Filmation would have been the main introduction.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I was born in the mid-70s, so the 80s toyline for me.

Toyline for me. I'm probably a bit younger than many folks here (born in 83) and barely remember the cartoon. Pretty sure I got Stridor, Fisto, and the Road ripper in an Easter basket when I was really young one year.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

My younger brother was born in 83, so I know it was the Christmas of 82 that I went into the living room and found He-man, Skeletor, Teela, Man-at-arms, Merman, Beastman, Stratos, Battlecat and Castle Grayskull all sitting there. I remember getting Zodac after my brother was born because we had moved and I remember carrying the card with me on the way to Walmart in the car.

I know those figures and sets were there, I am not sure when I got things like the Wind Raider etc but I had all the figures in series 1 and 2, and 1/3 of the ones form wave 3 but all the vehicles. Hordak was my last figure I got which again was for Christmas.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I remember my introduction was getting Castle Grayskull and Beastman from my grandparents. The Filmation cartoon followed that.
    My blog: huckthedog.com

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174899

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    It doesn't surprise me that more fans were introduced with the vintage toyline. Many, including myself played with MOTU a full year before Filmation came along.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Christmas 1981. I got He-Man, my brother got (half boot) Skeletor, and we got Castle Grayskull together. Good times.