View Poll Results: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1980's MOTU Toyline!!!

161 72.85%
  • DC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Star's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • Filmation's MOTU Cartoon!!!

48 21.72%
  • The Secret Of The Sword Movie!!!

1 0.45%
  • MOTU Live Action Movie!!!

0 0%
  • POP Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • POP Cartoon!!!

3 1.36%
  • NA Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • NA Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • Commemorative MOTU Toyline!!!

0 0%
  • 2002's MOTU Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • MYP's MOTU Cartoon!!!

0 0%
  • MVC's MOTU Comics!!!

0 0%
  • MOTUC Toyline!!!

2 0.90%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

4 1.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Introduction To The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

I still remember like it was yesterday some 28 years ago. when they first advertised the new Filmation show on TV. My mother actually sat down and watched it with me, I was hooked, never missed an episode. My first MOTU Christmas, and still to this day the best Christmas of my life. I received Castle Grayskull, He-man, Skeletor, Battle-cat, Panthor, Beastman, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Mer-man, Stratos, Evil-Lyn, Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops and the Wind Raider.

Once again the best Christmas of my life. I think it is impossible to top that. But hopefully 2011, getting 20 Horde Troopers will be a close 2nd.

Dang! I thought there might be more diversity to how we all got into MOTU/POP.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I was too young to actually remember which but it was either the original 1980s toyline or the Filmation He-Man cartoon. I'm pretty sure my first figure was Beast Man though. I distinctly remember his vivid colors and that white and blue face.

Definitely a vintage purist.

Same here; I was 3 at the time--it was 1985. I don't even remember the first Masters toys I got, or when I got Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain; I pretty much had them back as far as I can remember. Same with He-Man, Skeletor, Panthor, and Battle Cat.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I remember my dad getting He-man, Skeletor and Man-At-Arms for me and I thought they were so cool. I think that Skeletor toy was what made me grow up to be so fascinated with anything dark and scarey and eventually like horror films.

My introduction was the classic toy line.

I still remember getting He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor, and Mer-Man for my birthday and I didn't even know who the heck these characters even were.

Ironically my mother bought the figures on accident. I asked for Blackstar figures but she bought MOTU figures instead.

To this day I still blame my parents for my MOTU-addiction.
    Last edited by Bonehead; January 2, 2011 at 09:07pm. Reason: spell check

The 80s toys. I can still remember the Christmas that my mom got me Castle Grayskull, He-Man and Skeletor! Prior to getting those three, she'd gotten me Man-E-Faces earlier in the year and I was hooked!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Widget
    My first was Stratos in the original line. I can still remember all these years later.

Quote Originally Posted by fcschipani View Post
    My first was Stratos in the original line. I can still remember all these years later.
    Me too!!! The store didn't have He-Man(I believe it was a K-Mart that is no longer standing anymore), so I got Stratos & Battle Cat. I would have always liked Stratos anyway(C'mon! He's a flying monkey man!), but his being my first MOTU toy will always make him special to me. I can't wait to get my hands on the Stratos VS Hawkman 2-pack since those are the colors my Stratos had!

JOIN THE GROUP...

80's action figures, from the very beginning.

My very 1st figure was Zodac followed shortly by Man-At-Arms.
    I can still remember the awe I experienced with Zodac & the fun I had with Him & the other figures I eventually got. To this day, Masters Of The Universe is one of the few things I have in this world to help maintain my sanity.
    I want my other half.

I'm going with other. MOTU had always been around by the time I started collecting toys as a young adult. I had also seen a picture of Scareglow at some point and had always thought it was an excellent figure. MOTU was referenced frequently by other nerds and nerd blogs. I also became aware of MOTU since I am / was a big fan of Mattel's DC line, so I was constantly aware of the new toys that were being made, both in 200X and MOTUC. Had to say I always liked the style of the 200X line when I was collecting Marvel Legends and DC Superheroes but didn't fully embrace the line for 3 reasons, firstly, I had no attachment to the franchise and was not looking for a new collection. I also like super articulated figures far more than figures with only a handful of POA. Lastly, Mattel being mattel royally screwed up the line, and I had no desire to involve myself with that. By the time MOTUC was announced, I was fully absorbed in DCUC and had no time or energy for another line. And the Matty Collector horror stories were enough to keep me away from collecting. But I was technically aware of what was going on. I thought the figures looked great but like Michael Crawford I had no attachment to the characters on an emotional level. To this day I have never seen a MOTU episode, filmation or 200x. This awareness continued until October of 2010 when I was at a toy show in San Antonio. There was a table of MOTUC being sold at cost and right in the middle was Scareglow. He looked even better in life. I bought him, but I knew I had just bought a drug. If I opened him I was going to be hooked. I knew it. It took me three days to work up to it, but I finally opened him and sure enough, I'm now completely hooked. So much so that after w14 I've stopped buying DCUC, a line I have a nearly complete collection of, just so I can fund my MOTU habit. I'm so far behind but I'm astounded at how much my collection has grown in such a short time. These are excellent toys, and the figures lend themselves to storytelling in such a way that fires my imagination. No figures have brought me such a sense of childlike wonder and simple fun like these. Now if only I could afford to buy all of the missing figures...

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Same here; I was 3 at the time--it was 1985. I don't even remember the first Masters toys I got, or when I got Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain; I pretty much had them back as far as I can remember. Same with He-Man, Skeletor, Panthor, and Battle Cat.
    Looks like we are on the same wavelength as I was also born in early 82. My earliest memories are MOTU, whether it was the Filmation cartoon or the original toyline...I don't know for sure.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

1980's MOTU toyline for me.

pretty sure i had a he man fig before i saw the 80s show but that long ago now i cant remember for sure, i do however remember breaking him trying to show my mum how his arms come off though lol ;( it was a very traumatic time
    I dont need no instructions to know how to rock !!

Heroic Warrior
    My first exposure was through the golden coloring books and super adventure story books. Then the toys, and filmation followed.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    I know for a fact it must have been the Filmation cartoon, because I still remember hearing that my friend had acquired (somehow) a VHS with some episodes (two or three) of He-Man on it. I specifically remember the words used to describe the toon: "He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe", something I had never heard of before then. I can't remember what episodes they were, or what the year was, but I do know that back then He-Man had only been shown on cable and/or satellite channels we didn't have any access to. If I had seen the toys in stores before that, they hadn't left a trace in my memory, but after seeing those episedes I had a pretty good idea of who everyone was when I came accross them in toy form.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

I was too young to actually remember which but it was either the original 1980s toyline or the Filmation He-Man cartoon.
    For me too. Voted other. My first Figure was Buzz Off, but if i did saw the cartoon first?

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    The premiere of the Filmation series was my “introduction”… I had seen the toys and other merch in stores but I wasn’t hooked until the cartoon.
    My younger brother and I watched the show at 3:30, my Mom came home at 6ish and asked if we’d like to go out for dinner. We were happy to go out because, it meant stopping to get a toy or coloring book or what have you before going to the restaurant….. We stopped at K-Mart and got He-man and Stratos…… The beginning of a lifelong obsession!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    So...uhhh what are the 3 other votes? I read the thread and I don't see any explanations for those?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I'd have to say the 80's toyline was my first introduction but it's worth noting that at the time I got into it the Filmation cartoon was already on the air. My friend had some figures so he introduced me to the line via them first but within a couple days I was watching the cartoon and learning the storyline from that and I got my first figures after that.

Also to some extent there was the original toy commercials. I remember seeing the commercial for Dragon Blaster Skeletor and knowing that was the one I wanted. Sure enough my first figures were Dragon Blaster Skeletor and Thunder Punch He-Man.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

So...uhhh what are the 3 other votes? I read the thread and I don't see any explanations for those?

Even though I try to put practically every conceivable option into each of my polls, I will still sometimes get someone who says their opinion wasn't covered. That's why I started putting "Other" into them, but it's not much use when the people who picked "Other" don't share(unless their introduction to MOTU was when they stole the toys from a kid they just mugged; then I could understand the silence).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Had to be the 80's toyline. I got my first He-Man, whose spring waist has been completely worn out, for my 4th or 5th birthday. The commercials for the toys were like nothing I had ever seen before. The action just seemed so epic. I think other kids at school had He-Man figures and I was able to play with theirs and I was sold.

Definately the 80's toon for me. After I got into the cartoon I discovered that there were toys too.

The vintage toyline. I had more 'He-Man' toys than almost any other toyline when I was a kid (except for maybe Star Wars). I had so many of the figures, Castle Grayskull & Snake Mountain & several of the vehicles. I wish I still had them, but unfortunately my parents sold them without my knowledge as I got older & moved out
    The Portal to the Terrible Dimension of Despondos
    "Either a certified genius or an authentic whacko"

RATTLOR FOR MOTUC!

Expendable Vintage Cherry Picker

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    My introduction to MOTU was the original toyline. I was born too late to really hit the wave of Masters mania in the 80s. By the time I got into MOTU (at all of three years old lol) it had already been cancelled, but I had a bunch of toys handed down from my older brother which I played with religiously. My parents and family members bought me a few of the figures I didn't have when they could find them. I remember Man-At-Arms was particularly hard to find.

I never really had a chance to watch the Filmation series since it was no longer aired on any channel where I lived. So my "canon" came from a mix of the storybooks and mini-comics and goldenbook videos my aunt got me.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; January 27, 2011 at 09:30pm.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Skeletor was my first figure way before I seen the cartoon. It was a get well gift.......one that would last a lifetime.
    My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.