Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers:CHUGU discussion

Transformers:CHUGU discussion

I am a Transformers collector but because I am Geewun (G1) I only focus on the CHUGU lines which is the fan term for Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations and United. These are all the lines which reimagined the original G1 Transformers.

I know I am not the only Transformers collector so I thought I would start a thread only for CHUGU discussion. Even though I have used it a few times in this post I actually don't like the term CHUGU

I recently bought a handful of new figures and Windcharger was one of them. I absolutely adore the figure. As a scout class it is perfect to recreate the original mincon scaled figure and I hope Hasbro continues to release other minicons in this scale. I would certainly buy another Bumblebee and Cliffjumper in scout class to replace my deluxe scale versions.

There is a lot more I could mention, like upcoming figures and third party companies like FansProject, but I am hoping everyone else can discuss these things further in this thread. Is anyone else collecting these Transformers?

This may not win me any friends here on these forums, but I will admit that Transformers is my favorite toy line. I still refer to the line as Classics.

I知 really digging all of these modern G1 updates. But I知 a cherry picker. I知 only interested in the figures that are really accurate homages like Rodimus (Hot Rod), Prowl, Jazz, Tracks, etc. I feel that some of the figures such as Grimlock, Tankor (Octane), Galvatron, Blurr, etc. really missed the mark. They don稚 stir up any nostalgia for me.

I知 really into the Japanese continuity (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory) so I知 really hoping that we will get at least some key players from this era such as Fortress Maximus, Chrome Dome, Sixshot, Metalhawk, Minerva, Overlord, Star Saber, and Deszarus.

I don稚 have a 2011 MOTUC sub and my first official act as a free man is to skip Vikor, having just spent that cash on Jazz, Tracks, and Dirge instead.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I enjoy the line quite a bit - I too refer to them by the umbrella term "Classics". I've been buying most of the G1 characters. Recently got Jazz (my all-time favorite TF, and long overdue), Tracks, Skullgrin and Thunderwing...never had the G1 Pretender versions of those guys, but I really like the updates.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming figures - Wheeljack, Kup, Perceptor, Wreck-Gar, Scourge, Rumble, Frenzy and Thundercracker (Finally!!!). I think that will probably do it, since the Movie stuff will start hitting in the spring, but I wouldn't complain if they managed to get Shockwave, Trailbreaker (and Hoist), Blitzwing and the Insecticons some day.

I've heard good things about Windcharger but haven't seen him yet - honestly, though, I'd rather all the figures be deluxe class...I really like Bumblebee and Cliffjumper being closer in height to the others, but that's just IMO.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I also call 'em just "classics" and since I've been trying to limit my TF buying, I've bascially started getting mostly classics. Some of the movie ones are pretty cool, though, so I've gotten a smattering from there as well (there's also a lot of awesome figures from the Cybertron line awhile back that I'm certainly not getting rid of).

I don't have any special love for classic characters, really. It's just that I like boxy-lookin' robots 'n such. The "organic" look for the movie ones doesn't always work for all of them. I like peices hanging off of them that look like the vehicle they turn in to. Dunno why.

Also, I agree that the Scout class is just awesome, and it's an affordable way to get some really great figures. Looking forward to seeing Windcharger as well. Back in the day the smaller figures were usually less articulated, but the Scout class has become fantastic over time.

Finally, there are some classic characters that I know a little about and I'd love to see Hasbro get to them. Shockwave is one. With what they've done with characters like Perceptor, I imagine Shockwave could be great. I loved classics Megatron, and I think another gun figure would do well. They wouldn't even have to make him look like a different gun, since his original was a goofy space gun already.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

it's been a while since i bought any classics figures, or any other transformers for that matter. i think the last one i got was hound. i do like how some of the recent and upcoming toys look. i just wish i had more money and space for these things. if nothing else, i'd love to get a jazz and tracks.

I just call them all Classics as well and everyone seems to get my meaning when I talk about the figures. I have most of what's come out except for a few of the Silverbolt repaints and a few other figs.

I'm happy to see Fansproject rounding out the line up with their City Commander, Warbot Defender and Protector sets. They've really added some depth to the line up.

I'm a fan of TFs in general though so I do collect more than the Classics stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

Also, I agree that the Scout class is just awesome, and it's an affordable way to get some really great figures.
    Yeah Scouts are cool but I dunno if they are affordable. They are $9 which is the same price as deluxes right now. That seems pretty insane to me...but I'll probably suck it up and buy Windcharger if I find him.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'm a huge G1 Transformer fan. But I mainly just collect the vintage line, Japanese Masterpiece releases and G1 re-releases. I also buy up all the FansProject stuff that improves my G1 Transformers like all their Devastator upgrades, Predaking upgrades and Superion upgrades. I also got their Rumble/Frenzy piledriver arms and Ratchet/Ironhide add-ons to make them more cartoon accurate.

The Classics line I pick up here and there whenever I see them in the stores and only when they are G1 related. But I don't actively seek them. The vintage line is where it's at for me.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Apologist of Mattelョ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Geewun is the way to be when it comes to Transformers. I'm too poor to get into Transformers as much as I'd like to, but only Geewun related things interest me. I do have some reissues, a bust/statue collection, various things that caught my eye, and I do have a Masterpiece Optimus Prime.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLナヌK FLリWヒR!!!!

Is there a link to the figures that have come out from these lines?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by bigkid24 View Post
    Yeah Scouts are cool but I dunno if they are affordable. They are $9 which is the same price as deluxes right now. That seems pretty insane to me...but I'll probably suck it up and buy Windcharger if I find him.
    Ha! Shows how much I pay attention. I actually haven't bought any recent ones (planning on Windcharger, though). Are they really up that high, now? I thought the deluxes were just brought back down to 9.99? Maybe that was just a target pricecut...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    I also only like G1/Classics TFs. I rarely buy TFs nowadays, but I did just pick up the new Thunderwing, and he's pretty awesome. I'm waiting to see if the MP Rodimus will come out in the states and how much he'll be. I'm hoping for a MP G1 Galvatron. I think the MP Optimus Prime may be the greatest toy ever made. Although, MotUC is probably my favorite toy line ever.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Is there a link to the figures that have come out from these lines?
    I don't know if there is a link but because the Classics line has been known as Classics, Henkei, Universe, etc. they are harder to find in a list together. I will add some individual links to the figures from all lines that fit in Classics. These are not all of them, just the ones I personally think fit. Others can add more links if they wish.

Astrotrain

Bumblebee

Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper w/FansProject upgrade

Grimlock

Jetfire

Megatron

Mirage

Optimus Prime

Ramjet

Rodimus (Hot Rod)

Skywarp

Starscream

Ultra Magnus

City Commander (FansProject Ultra Magnus upgrade)

Acid Storm

Beachcomber

Brawn

Bumblebee

Cosmos

Cyclonus

Galvatron

Hound

Inferno

Ironhide

Nemesis Prime

Nightstick (Targetmaster)

Onslaught

Prowl

Ratchet

Ravage

Sideswipe

Silverstreak (Bluestreak)

Smokescreen

Sunstreaker

Tankor (Octane)

Warpath

Wheelie

Blurr

Darkmount (Straxus)

Dirge

Drift

Red Alert

Skullgrin

Thrust

Thunderwing

Jazz

Tracks

Frenzy

Rumble

Grapple

Bludgeon

Brakedown (Breakdown)

Lockdown

Axor (Axer)

Banzai-Tron

Lugnut

Percepter

Kup

Wheeljack

Thundercracker

Scourge

Windcharger

Wreck-Gar

Superion

Crossfire 01 (Superion FansProject upgrade)

G3 Trailer (Optimus Prime FansProject trailer)

Munitioner (FansProject Swindle)

Explorer (FansProject Blast Off)

Bruticus

Protector (Rodimus Prime FansProject upgrade)

Shadow Commander (Nemesis Prime FansProject upgrade)

Sidearm (FansProject Targetmaster - Firebolt)

Defender (FansProject Springer)
    Last edited by TheFallen; January 3, 2011 at 07:42pm. Reason: missed a few

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    ...I'd rather all the figures be deluxe class...I really like Bumblebee and Cliffjumper being closer in height to the others, but that's just IMO.
    I personally prefer the Legends scale versions of the Mini Cars: Bumblebee, Brawn, Beachcomber, Warpath, Cosmos, and Wheelie. To me , those fit right in scale with the deluxes the way the original Mini Cars fit the Autobot Cars. Just my opinion.

awesome thanks so much! a lot to look through!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I personally own of the Universe line

Classic 2.0
    Sunstreaker
    Galvatron
    Sideswipe
    Ironhide
    Bluestreak
    Prowl
    Acid Storm

G1 Series
    Hound
    Cyclonus
    Starscream

Legends
    Bumblebee
    Brawn
    Beachcomber

G1 Commemorative Series
    Perceptor

Prior to the Universe line, Classic
    Ramjet
    Cliffjumper
    Grimlock
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; January 4, 2011 at 01:58am.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

With the new movie on the horizon it usually means another sabatical for the Classics line until it makes its return so I thought I would make a wishlist for what I would like to see in the future.

SUPREME
    Fortress Maximus- This class probably isn't big enough but I think Fortress Maximus should not be any bigger than Unicron and Hasbro would never go for a bigger class. I personally think an updated Fotress Maximus is a pipedream and will never see a release

LEADER
    Omega Supreme - How nice would it be to see an updated Omega Supreme?
    Scorponok - There was always something I liked about Scorponok and I could only begin to imagine what it would look like 20+ years later with better technology

VOYAGER
    Optimus Prime w/Trailer - The Optimus Prime mould was a great reimagining but was sorely missing the trailer
    Ultra Magnus w/Trailer - I love the FansProject City Commander but I would be interested to see a Hasbro version
    Megatron - I know we will never get a realistic looking gun but I would be happy with a better version of Megatron. It can still be a futuristic gun, I just don't the wings on the current version
    Galvatron - The deluxe version as a Voyager would just about be perfect
    Nemesis Prime w/Trailer- Hasbro could make this an SDCC exclusive again and this time repaint the Prime and Magnus trailers to suit. That will give Hasbro another option to use the trailers
    Grimlock- The deluxe version just wasn't big enough. I would like to see all the Dinobots done in this scale so I won't do individual listings for them
    Soudwave - There has been so many discussions as to what Soundwave's alt mode could actually be but I don't care what it is as long as it can fit the updated Ravage and comes with Laserbeak. I would also like to see Rumble/Frenzy/Ratbat/etc. re-done as tapes
    Blaster - If there is going to be a Soundwave there needs to be a Blaster. As with Soundwave I want to see Eject/Rewind/etc. re-done as tapes to fit inside Blaster

DELUXE
    Insecticons - I bought the reissue G1 Insecticons a couple of years ago and they are still great. Bombshell, Kickback and Shrapnel only, I never liked the deluxe Insecticons Ransack, Venom, Barrage and Chop Shop
    Trailbreaker - Probably one of the most likely candidates to get a release because it can easily be remolded/repainted into Hoist and because it is the last of the '84 Autobots. Trailbreaker (named Trailcutter due to trademark issues) is being released as a legends figure
    Blitzwing - The best triple changer still hasn't got an updated figure which is a travesty

SCOUT
    Every minbot - From Beachcomber to Wheelie. Windcharger is such a great update that I would like to see all the minibots get a similar release
    Constructicons - There needs to be a better Devestator than the Classics/Energon rerelease. The same could be said for all the Gestalts, they all need to be released in this scale, with the exception of the Predacons which needs to be deluxe class

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    SUPREME
    Fortress Maximus- This class probably isn't big enough but I think Fortress Maximus should not be any bigger than Unicron and Hasbro would never go for a bigger class. I personally think an updated Fotress Maximus is a pipedream and will never see a release
    With the original Fort Max's popularity and extremely high price tag I don't think a supreme/planet class version would be hard to sell. As long as he is true to the original rather than being totally re imagined. Plus he has repaint potential as Brave Maximus and Grand Maximus.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    SUPREME
    They'll never rerelease the original because it fails the drop test. A new one would be great, but I don't think Hasbro wants to take another chance on a Supreme class toy, since they rarely sell very well. Unicrons were on clearance for awhile during Armada/Energon, and Starscream in Cybertron lingered as well.

LEADER
    Omega Supreme - How nice would it be to see an updated Omega Supreme?
    You want to know disappointing? Try not releasing an Animated Omega during one of the most popular TF cartoons ever aired. He's overdue for a new release!

Galvatron - The deluxe version as a Voyager would just about be perfect
    Grimlock- The deluxe version just wasn't big enough. I would like to see all the Dinobots done in this scale so I won't do individual listings for them
    Agreed on both counts. Grimlock is probably the worst toy imho out of the entirety of the Classics/G1-themed lines. A missed opportunity.

I never liked the deluxe Insecticons Ransack, Venom, Barrage and Chop Shop
    Trailbreaker - Probably one of the most likely candidates to get a release because it can easily be remolded/repainted into Hoist and because it is the last of the '84 Autobots. Trailbreaker (named Trailcutter due to trademark issues) is being released as a legends figure
    Blitzwing - The best triple changer still hasn't got an updated figure which is a travesty
    Awww, I love the Deluxe Insecticons, great toys! Trailbreaker, along with Hoist and Skids are mandatory; they finished the 6 seekers, now they have to finish the 18 Autobot Cars, it's just not right if they didn't. Blitzy also needs a new toy, and I'd love it if he came alongside an updated Sandstorm, because two triple-changers in one wave would be killer.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

a Muppet of a man...
    I have a handful of these, mostly from the first wave. Starscream is a nice addition to the ever-growing army of Starscreams I have. And the Hound is great! Hound was the first g1 toy I ever had, and the update of him is very cool... the little Ravage is the best part! I wish they did more of those cassettes.

FansProject Insecticons

FansProject have updated their website with their 2011 products.

2 of the products are repaints of Munitioner and Explorer but there is also a silhouette of three new products;

CA-03 Stormshred
    CA-04 Thunderbomb
    CA-05 Backfire

These are based on the Insecticons, Bombshell, Shrapnel and Kickback. I am very excited about these products.
    There is also a lot more coming from FansProject in later 2011 including what could be a Powermaster;

(Audacity) Amelioration of Novel form, HeartMaster HM-001

FansProject are certainly filling a gap that Hasbro are not focusing on

Fansproject (and others like them) have some amazing product...but nothing in my price range, sadly. I mean, they're doing an awesome job. I just wish I could afford some of thier toys. I would in a heartbeat if they were normal, but that's really on the high end of custom product.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I just got my BBTS e-mail and it seems that there is a new pre-order for an improved Pirahnacon head for the vintage Seacons from CrazyDevy that is slimmer and has light-up LED eyes. This will help improve the look of your vintage Pirahnacon or the recent BBTS exclusive re-release. They also had some other Transformer releated updates. Pretty cool!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

My FansProject Protector, Rodimus upgrade came yesterday. It is a pretty cool set. I always liked the Rodimus design even if it was a little small but the upgrade armour more than makes up for it.

The tank mode isn't that great but the armour for the figure is where it is at. And it still looks pretty cool when in trailer mode and attached to Rodimus.

Although it is a bit pricey, it is a worthy purchase if you like 3rd party items. FansProject are good when it comes to quality. But I guess you could wait for the inevitable KO just like what happened with City Commander. I will get a KO SG Rodimus and KO Shadow Scyther if it ever hapens

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    While I'm not a Geewunner, I do like G1.

I wish they would have kept the deluxe sizes for the mini-bots; just give them squatter robot modes. I'm looking forward to Brawn, Gears and Huffer--the super strong little guys from 1984.

I also lament that we don't have combiners anymore...as we remember them. Silverbolt, Strafe, Blades and Onslaught are just regular Autobots and Decepticons now, with no teams. Heck, we don't have teams any more. No Dinobots, Seacons, Predacons or Insecticons.

I want:

Deluxe Class
    Blitzwing
    Blaster (I'll settle for the WFC version even)
    Brawn
    Huffer
    Gears
    Windcharger
    Cosmos
    Beachcomber
    Powerglide (PG shouldn't be bigger than Jetfire)
    Seaspray (Make him more G1 looking)
    Trailbreaker
    Hoist

Voyager Class
    Shockwave
    Warpath
    Galvatron (Better as a Voyager)
    Grimlock
    Ultra Magnus (Not a White Optimus)

Leader Class
    Optimus Prime (Voyager sized with Trailer)

Supreme Class
    Omega Supreme
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 11, 2011 at 05:53pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Just bought Red Alert, and saw both Thunderwing and Skullgrin, though I wasn't sure I wanted them, so I didn't bother buying them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor