Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 032 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 032 Discussion!

Episode 032 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, Adam Tyner, James Eatock and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

The gang comes together to reflect on the history of fandom in Part 2 of our Roast Gooble Dinner holiday special!
    We talk about the history of He-man.org, and remember the good and the bad of the past.

Join us for a walk down memory lane, including in this episode
    • Jennifer Hannon, Jeremy Padawer, Heather Schneider & Geoff Walker
    • Emiliano and the new Mill Creek DVD Cover
    • James and the book confusion
    • BCI and the DVD experience
    • Eamon and the removal of his signature
    • Emiliano and the Four Horsemen
    • Let the past be past, where we are with the present & hope for the future

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 53 minutes, 09 seconds

Direct link for Episode 032

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

a Muppet of a man...
    Outstanding! I was getting hungry

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    yuck, I'm worried to listen to this after reading the topics of discussion, I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Padawer, he ruined a lot of products from Jakks and left a bad bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: Wasn't as bad as I thought Enjoyed this Dinner, left a smile on my face, I had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GLJossan View Post
    yuck, I'm worried to listen to this after reading the topics of discussion, I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Padawer, he ruined a lot of products from Jakks and left a bad bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: Wasn't as bad as I thought Enjoyed this Dinner, left a smile on my face, I had fun.
    Well, the episode isn't all about Jeremy Padawer, there is a lot more

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I'm absolutely loving the last 2 Dinners!

I have wondered for so long what happened between Mattel and the Org.

Am I allowed to say Matty could stand to grow the freak up??? Jeez.

Great episodes, guys. Really helping me power through the cardio!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Oh boy, that episode was partially really sad and touching.

Love the Podcast, love your work, keep it up!

Yeah, it was a bit sad.
    But I hoped at the end it would be more uplifting.

We really don't want that show to come across as negative.
    It was just us cleaning out the attic, hoping to get it all out all the good and the bad in a reflective way.

That way, we can look forward to hopefully a positive future and not dwell on the past.

awesome! ... i was really looking forward to the 2nd part of the podcast! ...

i think these shows have gotta be the best shows of RGD thus far! ... it's a real pleasure to hear all of the history and old stuff i missed out on ...

it sucks how you guys can't work with mattel - surely your knowledge/passion/experience of the property can only help the company grow? ... it's a bit confusing ...

eamon - i was digging your closing comments before you left, you said some really cool stuff man ...

val/emil - you mentioned sdcc 2011, i want to make the trip (just waiting for the sdcc website to start selling tickets again - it's a really confusing site btw!?) - once i've got a ticket, i'm there! ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; January 5, 2011 at 06:18pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Elder Councilman
    Val, I think you answered your own question about why Mattel may've ceased communications.

While I agree with you about how harsh it was, I just don't think they saw the level of capital coming in for it that they expected, and didn't think there was any real further point to embrace the community.

MOTU is just not doing the kind of business for them to make it such a high priority, unfortunately.

You even said yourself at best the '02 series would've maybe done 1/4 of the success of Ben 10 at this point.

That's not what Mattel wanted to see...and could you blame them?
    Last edited by KingRandor82; January 5, 2011 at 07:59pm.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

The segment about "What Might Have Been with BCI!" WHOA! I would have bought that in a heart beat! Agree with you all, best 80's DVDs ever made!

Oh and Eamon, kind of TV did you get?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I'm the black sheep of this "family."
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    MOTU is just not doing the kind of business for them to make it such a high priority, unfortunately.
    I'm confused why you think the profit Mattel generates from commercial sales has anything to do with them working with the community. Since when does being friendly cost more money?

I'm sure Mattel knows by now that they can't always count on a big cash cow, especially with the boys action-figure market.
    They think big, they act big, they invest tons of time and money all on a risk, and they crap out a lot (as do a number of companies who embrace that model).
    I think it's time they rethink this approach. You can mix and match high concept with micro-management.

Mattel didn't become a huge company overnight. They started small with an idea and built on it. There's a lot to be said for that. And it's wise to remember to go back to the well from time to time, especially for MOTU that's crapped out twice now (NA and 200x).

Like we said in the show, there's ways to micromanage the brand to let it continue to build, or at least have the potential for cost-effective growth.
    Mattel doesn't need to invest tons of money to make it happen.

Mattel could have (and still can have) a license/agreement/whatever with the Org to run a community and online archive for them,
    and with little to no overhead cost for them, helping to manage and maintain the presence of the line and protect their IP content in a multitude of ways,
    while allowing us to tap into fan creativity, translating to ideas and concepts that could be further explored outside of the micro-managed framework.

It's the nurturing of that seedling I mentioned.
    Perhaps it could grow and produce more seeds, and more and more fan sites and projects would pop up online one they saw Mattel and the Org come together.

Them shelling out time and money to constantly do things in-house-only is a back breaker. Plus the need for flexibility in such a micro-managed construct doesn't conform to how they shift duties and departments around internally either. It's better to outsource.

It's why we've tried to get them to work more with us, and it's why we pitched a collector's line to them back then. We saw the value in it. We knew it wasn't going to be a heavy profit generator, but it would have been something to keep the MOTU brand active and perhaps slowly build upon.
    If they had done the micro-managing approach back in 2004 when 200x didn't pan out, who knows where they might be today.

It's all speculative, but we've laid out some solid ideas in the past 10 years that we've seen work (from this site, to the comics, to the He-Store that grew in sales month to month with a high satisfaction rating with customers, to the DVDs, to that very toy pitch we submitted).
    We've also had ideas on how to refresh or rework the brand to have new concept approaches to reach untapped markets, and reach new demographics.

I'm sorry to say it, but the whole idea of "more than one MOTU idea at a time causes confusion" is ludicrous. Different platforms, different markets and different demographics can all handle IP exploration to find the right one or mix of ideas that can easily co-exist at the same time.
    This type of arrangement we have suggested could prove to be a cost effective IP generator.
    And it's always possible that may translate into something Mattel could push into a larger market.

A penny in for a pound, so to speak.

And I guarantee (as Eamon said on the show) many fans would leap at the chance to do participate in something like this. We have a keen eye for talent, and we'd have the most talented fan creators contributing.
    Get a deal worked out, get all the legal paperwork lined up, have all participating parties put their John Hancock's on the dotted line, and away you go!

That's a slightly simplistic view but it's really not that complicated if, similar to what I said on the show, Mattel would start putting away their "No" stamp.

And that's just the potential business element.
    I'm not even touching on the PR side of things.

Like Eamon said, many folks feel this rift is a petty one. Why someone or multiple people at Mattel want to carry around baggage is beyond me. It seems to me that any problem has arisen out of miscommunication and a lack of collaboration. And that's all easily overcome.

I've apologized. I've admitted I could have done better, adapting more to what they want to see.
    But to do better, we need Mattel to open up. There's a reason this site has been here for over 10 years, growing bigger and bigger, while continuing to promote this brand and help keep it alive despite any differences along the way.
    I see it, you see it, and we hope that Mattel sees it.

So I still keep hope alive.
    And I hope all of the above sounds as positive as I'm intending for it to sound.

I don't see any reason we can't all get together in one spot (folks from the Org and folks from Mattel),
    hammer out any concerns and differences,
    wipe the slate,
    and start working in unison so this site and all the fans like yourself who are at home here at HeMan.org feel like knights ready to charge into battle at the behest of Mattel,
    meanwhile painting a bigger and brighter future for this site, all the fans, and hopefully future fans and sites everywhere.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Thanks Guys for the big Heads up
    BTW it was all Emiliano that convinced me to lend my cels and backgrounds to BCI for the DVDs

Weren't you and I supposed to meet up at some point when I was in LA so I could scan some of the stuff you had?
    I seem to remember that.

I remember having that scanner shipped in, and it was a pain because we had to go to FedEx to pick it up. I think it was BCI Guy who drove me out there to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Weren't you and I supposed to meet up at some point when I was in LA so I could scan some of the stuff you had?
    I seem to remember that.

I remember having that scanner shipped in, and it was a pain because we had to go to FedEx to pick it up. I think it was BCI Guy who drove me out there to get it.
    i was going to mention it but i thought you had forgotten about it .
    well the Story you told me was that you were going to pick up the scanner that you had shipped and meet me somewhere to scan my stuff . which was going to be around 8:30 pm (when i got off work) you called me at 9pm and said your having dinner with your sister and cant make it . and that you were flying back the next day . if i remember this right

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    In addition to everything that was said about Mattel opening its arms to the fan community, I agree with what everyone said about Emiliano - the world's #1 Masters of the Universe fan. How can Mattel not see that it would only benefit them to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge, talent and information Emiliano has at his disposal? It's a real shame. Hopefully that will change one day!

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    LOVED it. I could listen to you for even longer. Happy Holidays to you all and THANK YOU for all you have done and continue to do!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    i was going to mention it but i thought you had forgotten about it .
    well the Story you told me was that you were going to pick up the scanner that you had shipped and meet me somewhere to scan my stuff . which was going to be around 8:30 pm (when i got off work) you called me at 9pm and said your having dinner with your sister and cant make it . and that you were flying back the next day . if i remember this right
    Yeah, I remember it being too late one night.

I believe you could have done it earlier on the previous night, but the scanner hadn't shown up? something like that?
    The fates conspired against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    In addition to everything that was said about Mattel opening its arms to the fan community, I agree with what everyone said about Emiliano - the world's #1 Masters of the Universe fan. How can Mattel not see that it would only benefit them to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge, talent and information Emiliano has at his disposal? It's a real shame. Hopefully that will change one day!
    Bring on the heapin' helpin' of Emiliano!

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    *sniff*

Dang, now I feel bad. I was really hoping it had a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    LOVED it. I could listen to you for even longer. Happy Holidays to you all and THANK YOU for all you have done and continue to do!
    Thanks Patrick!!!

Elder Councilman
    I think part of the reason Mattel may not be working with the fan community may have something to do with legal.

I don' know what lawyers they have, but I'm more than positive they have something to do with it.

Here's something interesting: a friend of mine on Facebook and I were having a chat. He's big in radio, and I started asking him some questions about Howard Stern, who he's met.

I asked him why we've never seen an action figure of Howard Stern. It appears his manager always advises him against anything not involved directly with radio.

Just to give you an idea, he was gonna have a cameo in the Transformers movie, and finally had to decline due to pressure from his manager. Not a joke.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    thanks for the show guys. and gal.

Yeah, I remember it being too late one night.

I believe you could have done it earlier on the previous night, but the scanner hadn't shown up? something like that?
    The fates conspired against us. :tblol
    Exactly
    Well it would of been a rush job , no offence but i think David (BCI Guy) did fantastic job cleaning up the cels photographing and scanning the stuff . Plus i got to see behind the scenes on the making of the DVD the original ART Which looks way better in person , doing commentary on the DVDs and meeting Alan Oppenheimer (skeletor)

Another great ep!
    Here's to better relations all around in 2011!

On a side note, I'd be curious to see some old screenshots of the He-Store! I remember ordering from it, but don't recall how it looked.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    Well it would of been a rush job , no offence but i think David (BCI Guy) did fantastic job cleaning up the cels photographing and scanning the stuff .
    Nah, it wouldn't have been a rush.
    We would just been scanning in the raw data which wouldn't have taken too long, then cleaning it up later.

I also remember what happened. It ended up being too late at night and in the week because we had to drive to pick up the scanner, which screwed up everything. FedEx would't bring it out for whatever reason, and I had paid for rush shipping and everything.

Everything turned out okay in the end, though.

It's awesome you got to meet Mr. Oppenheimer. I hope to one day myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    On a side note, I'd be curious to see some old screenshots of the He-Store! I remember ordering from it, but don't recall how it looked.
    I wish I had one!
    Anyone here have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    I wish I had one!
    Anyone here have one?
    Might be some on Wayback Machine, check it out:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.he-man.org

Not had chance to listen to this episode yet but am looking forward to it.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26