Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The skull on Castle Grayskull - what does it mean or whom does it resemble?

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

The skull on Castle Grayskull - what does it mean or whom does it resemble?

who's skull is that? who's do you personally think it is? Is it some greater force? much bigger than even Titus and Megator?? so all need to fight it.... or was it just some Giant skeleton on the ground, and someone thought, "this would be beautiful to build a castle around...."

what are your thoughts?

it used to be a clown face, but the years haven't been kind

Heroic Warrior
    Uhh, I never thought it was anyone's skull, or even an actual skull, it was just carved that way out of rock. using 200X/MOTUC continuity I just assume it was carved in homage to the King's name.

Heroic Warrior
    I assumed it was built that way to intimidate those who dared to enter.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Mark Taylors original idea was, that a giant was sunken in the ground and someone built the Castle around his skull.
    He still wears a helmet , if you look closely
    I personally love that idea. The Power could be the spirit of that Grayskull/Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Mark Taylors original idea was, that a giant was sunken in the ground and someone built the Castle around his skull.
    I personally love that idea. The Power could be the spirit of that Grayskull/Giant.
    that's a cool idea.

that is a good idea. then you leave out King Greyskull (i never liked the whole "name a castle after a guy thing") but you have the mystery that is the power of greyskull.....

nice idea.

Heroic Warrior
    I used to think about the skull/castle as something built without known who built it and when it was built.

Building it with a human skull as a front could be, as already wrote, to frighten enemies...

Great Idea.

action features for action figures!

A big fan of Slush Head
    According to the bio Tytus built the castle based on the cosmic warriors symbol.
    Which is the symbol He-Ro has on his cape.

http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

so the "skull" is a symbol?

isnt that considered in most cultures evil though? or piracy?

still doesnt answer who's skull it is.

or is that saying, "titus was a artist, who mostly worked in clay... he designed the front of the castle to look like a logo, which reminded him of a monkey skull..... it took many years to chizzle..."

thats the thing though. its the chicken before the egg question.

the bio's would have you believe that it was built to look like some crappy 200x logo design.... (my opinion)

when in fact for me, the castle was there far before that design.... (which it was)

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    What´s a bio? Ugh!

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    "bio" is short for biography.

I enjoyed the white version of Castle Grayskull portrayed in the 200x cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    who's skull is that? who's do you personally think it is? Is it some greater force? much bigger than even Titus and Megator?? so all need to fight it.... or was it just some Giant skeleton on the ground, and someone thought, "this would be beautiful to build a castle around...."

what are your thoughts?
    Well, according to Robert Lamb's explanation, that is pretty close to his.

I think I may like this explanation even more than Robert Lamb's! Very cool! Or just switch out the first "great beastie" in Lamb's explanation for simply a "giant" (humanoid) that Taylor imagined.

I liked the MOTUC idea (He-Ro's symbol being incorporated) for the castles design, until I read the above explanations!
    – No comment.

Oh boy, now I'm thinking about MOTU becoming more and more like Transformers.

Snake Mountain/Serpos is [insert evil base robot/god robot here.]

Castle Grayskull/Unknown Giant is [insert good base robot/god robot here.]

It's only a matter of time before both strongholds come to life once more, battling each other across Eternia in an epic battle!
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It's only a matter of time before both strongholds come to life once more, battling each other across Eternia in an epic battle!
    Um, that actually sounds like it would make for an awesome cartoon episode!
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Um, that actually sounds like it would make for an awesome cartoon episode!
    It's actually a cool idea ... CASTLE GRAYSKULL VS. SNAKE MOUNTAIN! The ultimate battle! haha

I would have loved to see in the MYP Series!
    TOP 5 MOTUC MUST HAVES:
    1. Mermista
    2. Angella
    3. 200X Sorceress
    4. Snake Armor He-man & She-ra (See here for Hunter Knight's custom) 2-Pack
    5. Madame Razz w Broom

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    so the "skull" is a symbol?

isnt that considered in most cultures evil though? or piracy?
    Earth cultures or Eternian cultures? and remember that Tytus built the castle like 5000 years ago so definite culture changes would have occurred.

Where in the new canon or bios, does it say that Tytus didn't use the skull of some giant creature for the entrance and nod to a fallen comrade. I personally love the original story behind Grayskull as Neutro has so eloquently pointed out. That will for now and forever be my story behind the creation of the castle. Although I will have to think up a better name for the giants as "giant beasties" sounds like a breakfast cereal.

Here is another riddle. Did anything stand there BEFORE Castle Grayskull was built? Maybe the castle was built over or around another structure. Maybe the giant was an ancient Eternian that was guarding the location.

A skull could also symbolize danger, not necessarily evil or piracy.

The skull face of Castle Greyskull belongs to Skeletor.

I have it all mapped out, but here is the short version of the climax of the battle:

1. Skeletor gets the Power Sword and takes over Castle Greyskull.

2. He-Man gets sent back in time by Skeletor to the Golden Age of Eternia and takes on the name Greyskull. He creates the initial first half of the Power Sword to defend Eternia using the advanced tech of the time (200X sword). This sword has no magical properties.

3. Skeletor literally devours the magic of the Power Sword. Now flush with power Skeletor goes back in time to finally once and for all kill He-Man. Skeletor and his magical army lay siege to the planet, destroying everything and everyone in their path. Skeletor becomes a huge beast to kill He-Man, but fails, and is killed. Skeletor falls onto an old library, one of the few remaining buildings. He-Man rebuilds the library/skull as Castle Greyskull.

4. The Green Goddess is a magical projection of Teela. She uses this form to go back in time to be with her love, He-Man. Unfortunately she has no physical form in the past. It is their tragic fate that this is how they spend their remaining days together and why they never have children.
    Last edited by BadVermin; January 8, 2011 at 02:51pm.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Ummmmm.....
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I definitely prefer the Mark Taylor idea.

The huge skull of a giant that died as the result of a great battle so long ago no one remembers the particulars.

If we ignore the MOTUC bios (yes, let's do ) then we can imagine Grayskull itself being built VERY long ago.

So just imagine how long ago said giant had to live until his skull petrified and could serve as the foundation for Grayskull itself . . .

THAT is the stuff that grand-scale epics are made of!

None of this five centuries, wait I mean five thousand years, no wait that should be whatever amount of time they decide to retcon next nonsense.

I've always loved this idea!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!