Thread: GI Joe 3.75"

Hybrid View

GI Joe 3.75"

I used to be a GI Joe collector, infact it was on a GI Joe forum that I bought my first MOTUC figure but I stopped collecting as it went into the Rise of Cobra.

Thanks to Mr.Shokoti's Toy vs Toy Questionaire I started looking at GI Joes again. I know there are some members on here that collect Joes so I wanted to know if these are any good. From what I have seen there is alot more detail in the figures and they seem to look a bit more realistic now.

Is there any that are must haves? Is the line worth getting back into?

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    The new Pursuit of Cobra line is really cool. I think they are the best line we have got so far. Each wave has, I think, 4 figures. So it is not very hard to collect. My favorites are the new Zartan, the new Alley Viper, and the new Dusty. Also check out the new vehicles, especially the Doom Cycle.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

While Pursuit Of Cobra is a vast improvement over Rise Of Cobra(they are supposedly a continuation of the movie line but the packaging is closer to that of the 80's "A Real American Hero" and the face sculpts aren't actor based), I still haven't bought any of the line. The main reasons for this are it seems like so many of the characters are "environment based"(Destro has frost on his mask since he's a part of some cold weather environment), they keep re-releasing Snake-Eyes while there are so many new characters they could include, Hasbro has said that they don't plan on including females in the line, the "file cards" only give a sentence or 2 about the mission instead of the character, and Hasbro will probably reboot this line sometime next year(my interest in all things Hasbro is pretty much dead since anytime I seem to like a toyline, they'll kill it and replace it with something I don't like).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Well sir, if you're interested in a little comedy with your reviews, then may I suggest my personal Alexx Shorts over on Joebattlelines? I've been reviewing since the Rise of Cobra line (and you can, of course, see when I get better backgrounds and a better camera, so early reviews won't be as good). There are many reviews you can go to, but I try to look at each figure as a TOY rather than a character. Is it fun? Can it hold it's accessories? Does the articulation work well? Stuff like that.

Now, for my ideas on the current G.I. Joe:

Rise of Cobra was much better than most people give it credit for. Were most of the big names different from thier original looks? Yes, of course they were. However...were they good toys? YES. Oh boy, yes. Much much better than the 25th anniversary figures. Better proportions, better working articulation, and a better grip on weapons (since they finally took out trigger guards on the weapons, allowing them to hold the weapons realistically without cutting an index finger loose from the hand).

Now, Pursuit of Cobra is even more fantastic than RoC was. If you want to start in on G.I. Joe, you've picked a great time. Get out there now and start looking, 'cause the previous waves are going fast, and you don't want to miss guys like Dusty or Jungle Duke. They're from the first wave, and utterly amazing. Perhaps you may only want one Duke, but I seriously think you should go with what is a fun toy, and Jungle Duke is just great. Currently we're on wave 3, but you can still find some greats from wave 2 like the Jungle Viper or Zartan.

Now, it's obvious that G.I. Joe is one of my favorites lines, so I'll be a little biased here. I won't lie, however. The 25th anniversary had many flaws, but they have worked those out with RoC, and they're near perfection with PoC. I would suggest hunting down a few from the 25th and RoC, but if you want to start simple, get out there now and grab some PoC. If you like a good toy, you won't be disappointed.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

My wife got in on PoC as her introduction to GI Joe. She's got nearly all of the first 2 waves now. She'd have them all, but the USPS screwed something up and sent a package back to amazon which had the Alley Viper I got her for christmas, so Amazon cancelled the order and the Viper got sold out from under us. At least I was still able to get her the TRU exclusive Quick Kick and Spirit figures. Wave 3 is just coming out, so she's excited about those.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have now bought some of the PoC wave 1 figures from ebay and pre-ordered wave 3 and a case of wave 2 from BBTS.

Unfortunately, these are not available in stores here due to RoC clogging up the shelves. We only got a couple of the RoC waves and they never moved so there will never be a chance to see GI Joe on the shelves again. I think retailers may even stay away from the next movie line.

I have more questions. What are the good army builders from RoC and PoC? From what I can tell, Jungle Viper, Alley Viper and Shock Trooper look like good army builders. Is Night Adder an army builder or is he a single figure and Croc Masters replacement?

2 more things that Hasbro has disappointed me with when it comes to G.I. Joe.

1) They cancel things without much word as to why. Sure, MOTUC is a lot smaller toyline than any of the Joe ones, but Mattel will usually give a reason as to why something is delayed, changed or cancelled. I don't spend time on any Joe forums(although I usually check Yojoe & Hisstank daily), but there never seems to be any reson why so many previously revealed toys are cancelled and never released.

2) They never made anymore "Past And Present" releases. While it was great to get Snow Job since he was my very first Joe toy (along with the Rockslide vehicle)...

... but I really wanted more like it. That was such a cool release!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    1) They cancel things without much word as to why. Sure, MOTUC is a lot smaller toyline than any of the Joe ones, but Mattel will usually give a reason as to why something is delayed, changed or cancelled. I don't spend time on any Joe forums(although I usually check Yojoe & Hisstank daily), but there never seems to be any reson why so many previously revealed toys are cancelled and never released.
    Yup its very annoying. Even if you are on those forums you don't really get an answer. The worse thing is that half the time the toys show up from HK or China (fully complete "prototypes") but never make it to retail. Like they had all these toys made then figured to hell with it and shelved them

2) They never made anymore "Past And Present" releases. While it was great to get Snow Job since he was my very first Joe toy (along with the Rockslide vehicle)...

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/09/pas...resent_box.jpg

... but I really wanted more like it. That was such a cool release!!!
    I know, when I saw that at Target I was salivating at the potential to re-release a lot of old vehicles with a new update....then nothing

The worse imho was how they botched M.A.S.K. That Matt Trakker figure was constantly a sell out in stores and online at hasbrotoyshop.com

But yet you can hear the crickets when it comes to questions about a continuation of the two license mergers
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The worse imho was how they botched M.A.S.K. That Matt Trakker figure was constantly a sell out in stores and online at hasbrotoyshop.com

But yet you can hear the crickets when it comes to questions about a continuation of the two license mergers
    i thought the MASK thing was just a one time deal. i never heard hasbro say anything about bringing other characters from the show into the gi joe universe

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i thought the MASK thing was just a one time deal. i never heard hasbro say anything about bringing other characters from the show into the gi joe universe
    I will have to find it but they were asked after the Matt Trakker reveal if there would be more M.A.S.K. and the response was it depended solely on figure sales.

Not sure if that meant figure sales would justify pursuing the license or what. But from what you guys are seeing Matt Trakker was more like Mo-Larr, a one time deal which sucks
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I wouldn't be suprised if Hasbro announced a new M.A.S.K property in the coming years. There was a rumour floating around that a new movie was in the works and now they have their own TV Channel they can do what they want with programming.

As for Hasbro not having the M.A.S.K license, I think when they absorbed Kenner they got the toy rights but not anything else. I am only speculating so I don't know what it actually correct but I wouldn't be suprised if they were working on something.

Even though this was a GI Joe thread, Hasbro has already released the Human Alliance figures in Transformers which is very similar to the M.A.S.K line. Infact they will be continuing it again;

This time it almost looks like this Transformer comes with Duke from GI Joe.

See what I did there? The thread went to M.A.S.K, I included Transformers and got in some GI Joe

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

I never looked any further into it, but I heard that Hasbro doesn't have the rights to M.A.S.K. I had assumed they did since it was a Kenner product and Hasbro absorbed Kenner. Someone on this forum said that the whole reason his name was "Trakker" instead of "Matt Trakker" was due to some loophole. I have no idea if this is true, but maybe that's why we haven't seen any more from M.A.S.K.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Huge news and reveals coming out of Toy Fair for GI Joe

Zarana SDCC exclusive
    Newly tooled Skystriker and an SDCC exclusive repaint as Starscream w/Cobra Commander and in scale G1 Megatron gun

Rock Viper

Heavy Weapon Iron Grenadier

Crazy Legs

Croc Master

Hawk

Steel Brigade Trooper

Jungle BAT

I think I got it all
    Last edited by TheFallen; February 12, 2011 at 11:10pm.

I hope this year's SDCC exclusives are easier to get than last year's Sgt. Slaughter.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/...-images-10155/
    Last edited by Firefly; February 12, 2011 at 09:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I hope this year's SDCC exclusives are easier to get than last year's Sgt. Slaughter.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/...-images-10155/
    yeah I was AT SDCC last year and never got the variant slaughter. i just want the regular Zarana so i HOPE that version is the normal version.

The skystriker repainted to look like Starcream is a GREAT idea. sure wish it transformed though.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

You can add Storm Shadow, Stalker and Sci-Fi to the list of 30th Anniversary figures. I will add pics very soon

Storm Shadow

Stalker

Sci Fi

Techno Viper

Cobra Trooper

Cobra Viper

Cobra Commander

Blowtorch

GI Joe Renegades
    Snake Eyes & Cobra Commander

Firefly
    Photobucket
    Last edited by TheFallen; February 12, 2011 at 11:17pm.

Those aren't all that bad of prices; after the initial rush panic settles, that is what the market will probably settle for those items. Recently, I've seen a few Star Strikers sell for about 120-150; considering the month before and 3 months after they were ending at auction for 200+.
    Last edited by Southzen; July 5, 2012 at 02:02pm.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

These exclusives make those from Mattel seem easy to come by & inexpensive(outside of the Art Book that is).

JOIN THE GROUP...

These exclusives make those from Mattel seem easy to come by & inexpensive(outside of the Art Book that is).
    hasbro also puts some stock on their site after sdcc. it goes MUCH faster than matty's stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    hasbro also puts some stock on their site after sdcc. it goes MUCH faster than matty's stuff though.
    I'm assuming it's either that there are more RAH fans than those of MOTU or Hasbro just makes less of them. Or maybe a little of both. I love RAH but not enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a few 4 inch toys.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm assuming it's either that there are more RAH fans than those of MOTU or Hasbro just makes less of them. Or maybe a little of both. I love RAH but not enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a few 4 inch toys.
    I would say there are more Joe collectors and fans than MOTUC. Just from this year's Joecon, almost all of the items are selling for double or triple their original price. I'd say on production, Hasbro probably makes as many as Mattel or more.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

it's probably a bit of both, but i think more that they make fewer of them. i remember a couple years ago the MU Galactus on cardback went in just a couple minutes. i had it in my cart and then hesitated to remember my CC# and by the time i remebered (30 seconds) it was gone.