Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GI Joe 3.75"

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Random things have gone for a lot of money lately. But a lot of "exclusives" including Joecon stuff is not cheap (Dial Tone and the PP Stinger for example. I would rather pay and get what I want now and toss what I don't want on ebay later rather than fight ebay for a Jinx Or Big Boa.
    That is how I feel too. I need to grab a Dial Tone but the price is hitting over $100. I can live without having him at that price

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Grunt revealed...

Gotta be honest. I'm pretty impressed with this figure. It's a nice iteration of a boring repaint of a boring figure. The inclusion of the Resolute glider is a great nod to the OG glider from our youth.

This makes me a fan of 2.5 of the 5 reveals thus far. Most of the leaked list doesn't excite me but if there are surprises like our buddy Grunt here the sub might be worth buying......

When I first saw the leaked list I thought I wouldn't be that impressed with Tan Grunt but he is much better than I thought. He is a lot better than Quarrel and Nano BAT. I like they way these releases are coming hard and fast.

I think I will subscribe. Mattel has made me a lazy toy collector so if all I have to do is have my card charged every month and the rest of the work is done for me then how can I refuse?

Here is where we are in the reveals so far;

Iron Klaw:

I am unimpressed.
    Last edited by 80's Enthusiast; October 25, 2011 at 12:25pm.

I don't really understand the relationship between Hasbro and their collector clubs(are they third parties or an offshoot of Hasbro?), but when I first heard about the Joe sub, I figured it would be a little more impressive & through Hasbro themselves. This 30th anniversary for Joe is really depressing imo. Maybe it would be better if the movie toys sold better & the cartoon was a success.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Iron Klaw looks awesome! I love that they're going to recognize an era of GI Joe that's generally ignored (for good reason haha). Iron Klaw looks a lot better in as a 3 3/4" figure.

At this point, I think we can safely assume that the leaked list is spot on. I'm SO EXCITED for a bunch of them! (I won't list who, since there might be people who still want to be surprised)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't really understand the relationship between Hasbro and their collector clubs(are they third parties or an offshoot of Hasbro?), but when I first heard about the Joe sub, I figured it would be a little more impressive & through Hasbro themselves. This 30th anniversary for Joe is really depressing imo. Maybe it would be better if the movie toys sold better & the cartoon was a success.
    The G.I. Joe Collectors' Club has no formal ties to Hasbro (it's not a branch of the company or run by them), although the club is endorsed by Hasbro as the "official" Joe club and works closely with them to produce club exclusives.

The GIJCC is run by very dedicated fans. They even warehouse and fill orders themselves. It had been very clear from the beginning that the club, not Hasbro, was running the sub (in their defense, I think Hasbro tossed around the idea of doing the sub themselves for awhile). It seems like some people are disappointed in the re-use of parts, repainting, etc and I don't think that would've been the case if people realized that it was the club - with extremely limited tooling dollars.

Okay, finally a figure and club news I am happy about. He is a little on the 90's bright side, but I like him. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have holes filled, but I don't care for ninjas in my joe-verse, Topside is okay not thrilling, I was hoping for a bit more from Grunt, I've been seeing Quarrel for years now, and the Nano-bat is depressing because I will only have ONE.

Um, no, the club has disappointed people for years. It started with the Dreadnoks con set, the Tanks But Not Tanks For The Memories, the Buy Enough Moths Sets you'll get a vehicle only to be disappointed with no vehicle, the Crimson Phail Con Set, then the We Don't Want Star Wars Toys that cost 30 bucks for 70! I'm sure I missed others. LOL, I guess why I find people's reactions to Snake Man-at-arms so amusing (I have other choice words, but I'm being nice). They obviously forgot the multitude of He-man and Skeletors warming clearance pegs, and haven't really dealt with being slighted with broken promises by toy companies and the like after investing a lot of money (Both Tanks from Joecon 2007 cost around 80 together, we ended up with two 40 dollar 3 3/4" figures and no tanks after signing an agreement of delivery by the club). One repaint with a new tooled head and people are whipping out pitch forks and torches. Sorry, for the rant. I had to get it out somewhere.
    Last edited by Southzen; October 25, 2011 at 03:52pm.

Iron Klaw is a fun looking figure, if they could tone down the brightness a bit on some of the colours, he would be even better. Wonder how they're going integrate him into the ARAH world? I can't wait to read his filecard!

Now give us Wreckage and Sgt. Savage...
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

the Nano-bat is depressing because I will only have ONE.
    Because of cost? I think I read that they hope to have extras available (like with MOTUC on Matty), but I think the price will be pretty prohibitive.

I think problems like you mentioned illustrate how hard it is to pull stuff like this off. It's not that Mattel, Hasbro, or whichever company is completely inept - their fans can't do it well either. At least not up to the standards demanded by the fans as a whole.

An example would be the con exclusive figure made for CoilCon (the 2nd annual midwest GI Joe con) in July. Even though all of the people involved in the con and the exclusive have been hardcore Joe collectors for years, they still fell for the exact same trap that Hasbro has with exclusives - they didn't make nearly enough. They made 25 and there were close to 100 people at the con. They meant to make enough, they just didn't expect attendance to be 4x higher than in 2010.

It was interesting to see a bunch of collectors - who I'm sure would rip the head off a Hasbro employee for not making enough Slaughters/Zaranas/Starscream Skystrikers - realize that they did the exact same thing.

I don't mind Iron Klaw. He has a unique look and I think this figure is better than the fist two sub figures.

So far the list is correct, I can't wait to see what they do from here.

I need to see the price of the sub and how much they want to slug me for shipping. I want the sub figures, so that isn't the question, but I need to become a member first as well and then get the sub. It is $88 for me to just become a member

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Iron Klaw looks like a nice use of the Iron Grenadier Destro body. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he the villain in Inspector Gadget?
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    The G.I. Joe Collectors' Club has no formal ties to Hasbro (it's not a branch of the company or run by them), although the club is endorsed by Hasbro as the "official" Joe club and works closely with them to produce club exclusives.

The GIJCC is run by very dedicated fans. They even warehouse and fill orders themselves. It had been very clear from the beginning that the club, not Hasbro, was running the sub (in their defense, I think Hasbro tossed around the idea of doing the sub themselves for awhile). It seems like some people are disappointed in the re-use of parts, repainting, etc and I don't think that would've been the case if people realized that it was the club - with extremely limited tooling dollars.
    As a MOTU fan, I don't mind repainting or the reuse of parts. I am just not excited by the selection of characters. So far Grunt(the only first wave toy I ever had as a kid) and Klaw(I was never into Extreme but it's still a cool toy) are the only ones I've seen that almost make the sub tempting. That's not a knock on the GIJCC either since I assume Hasbro tells them what they can & can't do. I just wish Hasbro did more for Joe's 30th. I guess since they made the 25th such a big deal, it's my own fault for missing it. I am worried about Joe as a franchise though. The movie didn't catch on like Bayformers, the cartoon is basically cancelled, and there are a lot of stores that aren't even carrying the post-POC toys. I've seen one Target near me that does, but none of the Walmarts or ToysRus do.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    It is $88 for me to just become a member
    Wow. Because you're in Australia? It was $40 for me last year, and even that was steep. I ended up joining to get the extra discounts and the club figure. $88 though? Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    Iron Klaw looks like a nice use of the Iron Grenadier Destro body. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he the villain in Inspector Gadget?
    You're thinking of Dr. Claw - great villain btw. Iron Klaw was the bad guy from the "GI Joe Extreme" line that came out after the 3 3/4 line was cancelled in 1994: http://www.yojoe.com/action/other/extreme/ It had virtually nothing to do with GI Joe, failed miserably, and was promptly forgotten when the 3 3/4 line was brought back in 1997.

As a MOTU fan, I don't mind repainting or the reuse of parts. I am just not excited by the selection of characters. So far Grunt(the only first wave toy I ever had as a kid) and Klaw(I was never into Extreme but it's still a cool toy) are the only ones I've seen that almost make the sub tempting. That's not a knock on the GIJCC either since I assume Hasbro tells them what they can & can't do. I just wish Hasbro did more for Joe's 30th. I guess since they made the 25th such a big deal, it's my own fault for missing it. I am worried about Joe as a franchise though. The movie didn't catch on like Bayformers, the cartoon is basically cancelled, and there are a lot of stores that aren't even carrying the post-POC toys. I've seen one Target near me that does, but none of the Walmarts or ToysRus do.
    All valid concerns that I have myself. The 30th waves have been pushed quickly to make sure they got released before the new movie toys come out, which has kinda killed the "celebration" feeling of the line. It's more of a "mad scramble" to find the one case of that wave that your store ordered. Boo.

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    You're thinking of Dr. Claw - great villain btw.
    Yeah, the evil Dr. Claw.

Last edited by Master of Disguise; October 25, 2011 at 08:12pm.

Wow. Because you're in Australia? It was $40 for me last year, and even that was steep. I ended up joining to get the extra discounts and the club figure. $88 though?
    Yeah it sucks and I have never become a member because of it. I like the sub so I might have to pull The trigger unless I find another way.

As much criticism as Mattel gets for MOTUC it cannot be argued that the online sales is the best thing they could have done for the property. They control distribution and sales, not retail. I hope the GI Joe sub works because the franchise is a niche property now and it will not survive in retail if the movie flops.

I hope the GI Joe sub works because the franchise is a niche property now and it will not survive in retail if the movie flops.
    These days, even if the movie is a success, the toyline could still flop. Just look at Star Trek & Avatar.

JOIN THE GROUP...

These days, even if the movie is a success, the toyline could still flop. Just look at Star Trek & Avatar.
    Yeah very true. But that could also be because the action figure market is in serious decline. Well, that is how I see it here now.

Yeah very true. But that could also be because the action figure market is in serious decline. Well, that is how I see it here now.
    That's what it looks like in the States as well. It seems like video games are the only "geeky" things that kids still like these days while toys & comics have become a grown man's market. After growing out of Fisher Price & Playskool, most kids seem to only gravitate to products made by Apple, Nintendo, & Microsoft.

JOIN THE GROUP...

An example would be the con exclusive figure made for CoilCon (the 2nd annual midwest GI Joe con) in July. Even though all of the people involved in the con and the exclusive have been hardcore Joe collectors for years, they still fell for the exact same trap that Hasbro has with exclusives - they didn't make nearly enough. They made 25 and there were close to 100 people at the con. They meant to make enough, they just didn't expect attendance to be 4x higher than in 2010.
    I know the guy who came up with and made the coil con exclusives. He is a close personal friend that talk to almost daily. It was really ONE guy doing it. He had a little help. He was more concerned they wouldn't sell, and he would have to swallow the cost, which was the exact price the figure cost. The Coil Con exclusive was a test to see if there is interest for such a small gathering to support an exclusive. So the Coil Club did not make a profit on them for those wondering. Heck, being one of my good friends, I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get one. I know some of the people who run the Coil Club didn't even get one. It was a HAWT item, and a slick figure that was completely custom made by hand.

I know the guy who came up with and made the coil con exclusives. He is a close personal friend that talk to almost daily. It was really ONE guy doing it. He had a little help. He was more concerned they wouldn't sell, and he would have to swallow the cost, which was the exact price the figure cost. The Coil Con exclusive was a test to see if there is interest for such a small gathering to support an exclusive. So the Coil Club did not make a profit on them for those wondering. Heck, being one of my good friends, I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get one. I know some of the people who run the Coil Club didn't even get one. It was a HAWT item, and a slick figure that was completely custom made by hand.
    Yeah, tell me about it! Sudelaya told me they sold-out instantly, and Gyre-Viper told me HE didn't even get one! That's when I new they must've gone fast

I don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing the people who put together the exclusive. I totally understand your friend's worry about eating the cost of leftover figures. Very similar to the concerns that Hasbro/Mattel have, albeit in a smaller scale. I'm just saying that it, like the GIJCC sub, is a fan-run effort that shows how difficult it is to do what Matty and Hasbro try to accomplish.

I'm really glad they had the exclusives, even if I had no shot at getting one (Cincy's a 4 hour drive from Kokomo, so it's hard to show up at 9am on a Saturday haha). I thought it was a neat addition. Very cool looking, for sure!

It's cool man. No insult was conveyed

Btw:

Joecon is going to be in New Orleans June 21 - 24.

Jinx:

So-so......

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Oh no! I'm not a mazzive Joe collector, but Jinx was always my favourite. I've been waiting for her to be released as the 80's solid red ninja with mask. I'm happy she's finally getting released...but...she's not the version I wanted.

I hope that sword sheath can come off her leg...or all articulation there is pretty much pointless.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 29, 2011 at 05:46pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Not a bad looking figure for Jinx. I personally would have preferred her coming with a hooded head instead and being entirely red. That sheath has got to go though, it's quite the eyesore.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Jinx is in the movie so I expect to see the original version in the movie line somewhere.

I don't mind this update, I love the blindfold. I always felt the original was too plain so this is a pretty good update.

I think this is enough for me, I will join the GIJCC and get a subscription once it becomes available