Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 401

Thread: Fan relations - what is it fans want us to do that we are not?

  1. #301
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    O-Scar, I only have to ask you: do you realize fans ARE the customers?

  2. #302
    Court Magician O-Scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    O-Scar, I only have to ask you: do you realize fans ARE the customers?
    Not everyone who buys the toys is a fan and the opposite not all fans buy the toys. As far as he has said Val Staples hasn't bought one figure. I'm a huge spiderman man fan i don't get the comic. Big difference.

  3. #303
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,498
    Quote Originally Posted by O-Scar View Post
    Not everyone who buys the toys is a fan and the opposite not all fans buy the toys. As far as he has said Val Staples hasn't bought one figure. I'm a huge spiderman man fan i don't get the comic. Big difference.
    While not all fans buy the toys (which could be a variety of reasons... in most cases likely financial reasons), I would argue that almost everyone who buys the toys is likely a fan, with the exception of people who buy them specifically to resell at a profit, or maybe someone buying them as a gift for someone else who is a fan.

    While there are differing levels of "fans" (some might not be as 'die hard' about the line as others), I doubt that anyone who actually buys and collects these figures for themselves would not be considered a 'fan'.

    So in that respect, your logic doesn't quite add up.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  4. #304
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    While not all fans buy the toys (which could be a variety of reasons... in most cases likely financial reasons), I would argue that almost everyone who buys the toys is likely a fan, with the exception of people who buy them specifically to resell at a profit, or maybe someone buying them as a gift for someone else who is a fan.

    While there are differing levels of "fans" (some might not be as 'die hard' about the line as others), I doubt that anyone who actually buys and collects these figures for themselves would not be considered a 'fan'.

    So in that respect, your logic doesn't quite add up.
    you just "excepted" an example of someone who isn't a fan, but buys the toys.

  5. #305
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,635
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0s81 View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm still irked about the Goddess situation where it was said that Roboto isn't defective and won't be updated until a re-release, but the Goddess, which is CLEARLY defective, has to have her remaining stock sold through. It falls under fan interaction because everytime we get an answer like that, i just feel Mattel is further out of touch. the Goddess was a great figure that became worthless to most of the people that bought her. As a result we don't want to buy the crappy overstock, we want a new figure. It doesn't make logical sense to have to sell through what's left of her when everyone knows she's defective.
    So maybe if you really want to get rid of the overstock, sell it at a discounted price, 5 - 10 dollars with the No Refunds caveat. Then do a proper version of her that doesn't crumble.
    And you've touched on another major problem with fan interaction: the standard Mattel response when something is wrong with the figure. There was obviously a major problem with the entire run of Goddess figures; whether or not it's the problem Mattel claims isn't important, it's the fact that they basically acknowledge that it was a widespread problem.

    The most important fan interaction isn't spinning things in a Q&A; it is how you deal with the fans when they buy your product. Thus far, Mattel's answer for virtually every QC and production foul-up on their end has been "we'll release the corrected version down the road and you can pay another 20 dollars for the figure you should have gotten the first time."

    What do fans want Mattel to do that it isn't? Stand behind your product as other companies do, companies without nearly the resources the world's largest toy maker has. When the Four Horsemens' Seventh Kigndom elephants started shipping and having major QC problems (joint problems, pieces falling off, etc), the Fab Four took responsibility for those problems and offered another run of the figures, as well as the option to replace the earlier ones if the customer wasn't satisfied. Now I'm quite certain that a smaller outfit like theirs probably took a financial hit for such a move, but they also gained respect and probably some good customer loyalty by taking definitive action the fans could see. DC Direct also did this sort of thing when their Crisis figures came back a mess. Both of these companies have far, far less resources than Mattel. But when we have a figure that is literally falling apart when you pose it, we are told by Mattel they won't make more until the sell all of the still defective figures.

    Talking on fan sites is nice, and even welcome. But the best spin masters are a waste of time if the most important fan interaction of all is the mess Mattel has now. Poor QC, decade old distribution problems, a barely functioning order proccess on Matty and a lackadaisical attitude toward taking responsibility for sub-standard product trump anything else.

    To be blunt, Mattel needs to be less worried about how they are talking with fans until they take care of the more pressing problems. THe first and foremost interaction with fans is your product and how you sell it. Solve those major problems and you'll likely find much of your fan interaction problem will be taken care of.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  6. #306
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by O-Scar View Post
    Not everyone who buys the toys is a fan and the opposite not all fans buy the toys. As far as he has said Val Staples hasn't bought one figure. I'm a huge spiderman man fan i don't get the comic. Big difference.
    So you're telling me you're not a MOTU fan?
    You're just a "MOTU customer"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    While not all fans buy the toys (which could be a variety of reasons... in most cases likely financial reasons), I would argue that almost everyone who buys the toys is likely a fan, with the exception of people who buy them specifically to resell at a profit, or maybe someone buying them as a gift for someone else who is a fan.

    While there are differing levels of "fans" (some might not be as 'die hard' about the line as others), I doubt that anyone who actually buys and collects these figures for themselves would not be considered a 'fan'.

    So in that respect, your logic doesn't quite add up.
    Ditto

  7. #307
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    you just "excepted" an example of someone who isn't a fan, but buys the toys.
    I was going to say the same thing.

    I would also add that some people have extreme cases of OCD where they will continue to buy a toyline or comic that they no longer like just so they can have a "complete collection". I've even read similar cases on this site about people buying movies they hated on DVD just so they could have a complete set.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; January 11, 2011 at 01:25pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  8. #308
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,498
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    you just "excepted" an example of someone who isn't a fan, but buys the toys.
    Yeah, but my two 'exceptions' were (1) resellers and (2) people who might buy the figures as gifts for someone who IS a fan.

    Resellers will swoop in and buy the items before the fans can get ahold of them for the purpose of taking those figures and selling them to said fans at a marked up price. So, in the end, the figures end up in the hands of the fans.

    The same goes for gift-giving. If someone buys a MOTUC figure to give as a gift, the person making the purchase might not be a fan, but the figure ends up in the hands of someone who is.

    Thus making the fans the driving force behind sales. This idea of separating fans and consumers as two completely different and unrelated things is absurd. If it wasn't for the fans, there would be no audience for this line, and the resellers wouldn't have anyone to 'resell' to.

    And my point remains that I doubt that there is anyone who buys these figures *for themselves* (as stated in my previous post) who would not be considered a 'fan' on some level. Why would someone buy these figures for themselves and not be a fan? Do large amounts of people just make it a point to collect items that they have no interest in?

    O-Scar's point was somehow making the 'fans' the problem and the 'consumers' the people who Mattel should be focusing on. But, for the most part, they are one and the same. With the only major exceptions still in some way or another being driven by fan interest (and really, if the resellers weren't swooping in the scoop up these figures, then more 'fans' would be able to buy them right from the source).


    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 11, 2011 at 01:30pm.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  9. #309
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    I don't post much here anymore...but I think the only problem I have with Mattel is Digital River. Improve the buying experience and I'll be a happy camper.

    As far as I'm concerned, if fans want input on what Mattel does with MOTU, go work for Mattel. I don't think Mattel should bend over backwards for He-Man.org. I love this site, but I think you guys ask way too much. I listened to the last podcast and while I loved hearing the history of the site, the second part was just complaint after complaint about not getting to contribute to the line. I don't think it was a good idea to voice all of those issues on the podcast. Just my two cents though.

    Work for Mattel.

    I do feel for James though. He should have gotten credit.

    Anyhow, back to lurking mode.

  10. #310
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We love fans sites and will continue to work with them, but legally we are not in a position to endorse any one site as "the best". We like all of them! We will let the fans decide what "fan sites" are best. It is not something Mattel is in a place to judge.
    I don't expect my site to be judged the best, but it has been around for seven and a half years, and I have never been contacted by anyone from Mattel about the Classics. Vaults Of Grayskull doesn't host a forum and it doesn't cover the whole MOTU universe, but over twenty thousand hits so far suggest a handful of fans are visiting occasionally.

    I have never expected regular contact, but I would have been grateful for the occasional snippet of information about the Classics to publish on the site. Visitors will know I give praise and criticism equally, and that honesty and personal opinion is there for all to see.

    I don't want to comment on the remarks about Val and Emiliano consulting, because I think they have covered the points thoroughly, but there is an obvious logic to involving people who really know the subject (far better than me!).

    I think Scott deserves praise for posting here and responding. He does have to take the corporate stance on some issues, and I hope we all understand that. He knows some of the stock answers irritate people, and some of the apparent changes of policy (heads / no more heads / lots of heads in the future etc) are... well, headache-inducing.

    And being able to get this whole project up and running has been great. The fact that Scott has managed to do it, against presumably rather trying odds, shows that he's one determined cookie and a huge fan.

    I won't stop putting my opinion on Vaults, good or bad, and I won't stop supporting the Classics if I don't get an e-mail. But the offer's there.

    I'll finish by raising one criticism that I think does relate to Scott's original post. It's about the two-pack versions of the characters, in particular Mer-Man and Stratos. Bearing in mind these sets are of particular interest to collectors, it is not right to make these only available in North America in TRU stores. This line is a collector line for fans, and a minicomic version of Mer-Man should be available to all dedicated fans, not shoppers who probably don't understand the significance of what they're buying. These figures really should be available at Matty Collector or, as has been suggested indirectly, as exclusives on He-Man.org.

    The Org is the primary fan site. I'm a sideshow man and don't expect to be involved to the same degree, but there is no reason why the Org shouldn't be supported by Mattel.

    Thanks, Scott, for putting your head above the parapet with this one.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  11. #311
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, but my two 'exceptions' were (1) resellers and (2) people who might buy the figures as gifts for someone who IS a fan.

    Resellers will swoop in and buy the items before the fans can get ahold of them for the purpose of taking those figures and selling them to said fans at a marked up price. So, in the end, the figures end up in the hands of the fans.

    The same goes for gift-giving. If someone buys a MOTUC figure to give as a gift, the person making the purchase might not be a fan, but the figure ends up in the hands of someone who is.

    Thus making the fans the driving force behind sales. This idea of separating fans and consumers as two completely different things is absurd. If it wasn't for the fans, there would be no audience for this line, and the resellers wouldn't have anyone to 'resell' to.
    the point is, there ARE customers to mattycollector.com who are NOT fans. if someone buys the toy from a reseller, mattycollector customer service is not responsible to that person...only the person who originally purchased the figure.

    fan relations brings in people to the product.

    customer service handles issues when the product is sold.

    ETA: there are also people who buy toys as an investment. i know guys who buy hot wheels cars and just put them in storage and never look at them again. they get the car, they check it off their list, and it goes into their vault. for them, it's an investment. same for action figures. i've bought action figures for lines i wasn't really a fan of just because the figure was really awesome looking.
    Last edited by EldestSon; January 11, 2011 at 01:33pm.

  12. #312
    LIKE A HERMIT! mightybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    remote island
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Toyguru,
    I have pretty much established myself here as a nihilistic and apathetic idiot savant...perhaps without the savant part. And I have stated to those brave, or foolish, enough to converse with me that I am a casual fan of MOTU at best. However, I believe a way to improve fan relations in one major way is to have a Mattel sanctioned MOTU fan-convention here in the U.S. of A. Every other major toy property (Star Wars, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc.) has one. Star Wars even has the 501st Legion that has been worked into Star Wars canon. Hasbro works with all these conventions to have exclusive figures for each one. I feel that if MOTU is supposed to be as grand as it is renowned to be, it needs a convention. A place dedicated solely to all eras of MOTU (vintage, NA, 200X, movie), where they are celebrated, vendors come in to sell their wares, people involved with MOTU come and speak (actors, artists, fans) and everyone can come and share their appreciation of MOTU.

    I'm not sure if you can make that happen but it is sorely needed for MOTU. The fans need it. MOTU needs it. Mattel would benefit enormously from it. But then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I have forgotten to take my pills again.

    The Headaches Keep Getting Worse,
    BJH
    i agree with everything you said, even the part about pills and headaches. maybe this isn't what toyguru had in mind when he started the thread, but i think bringing MOTU as a franchise more into the public eye would help MOTUC and it would help mattel. i don't just mean an article in toyfare or showing off product on g4. that's too niche. it only attracts the same people that are in the geek subculture, and most of them are already aware of MOTUC. it has to be something bigger. it has to get mainstream attention. it could be in the form of conventions or something like the art show from last year.

    it doesn't even have to be MOTU-centric. a catch-all mattel convention/gallery/museum would be so cool. you could feature anything and everything mattel at the event (placing emphasis on current lines) and even if it isn't a venue to sell toys you could always have the site mentioned in promotional material. i know if there was some traveling exhibit that came to town, i'd make it a priority to visit. i know several people that don't even collect MOTUC would be interested. just make sure it gets around. not everyone can be in new york or california at the drop of a hat.

  13. #313
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,498
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    the point is, there ARE customers to mattycollector.com who are NOT fans. if someone buys the toy from a reseller, mattycollector customer service is not responsible to that person...only the person who originally purchased the figure.

    fan relations brings in people to the product.

    customer service handles issues when the product is sold.
    And what the hell is your point?

    O-scar is basically saying that the 'fans' are just complainers and the 'customers' are all that matter.

    The reality is that the majority of the customers are fans.

    And many of the fans who buy from resellers are 'would-be' customers who may not have had a choice but to buy from a reseller because the item sold out before they were able to order it.

    You are splitting hairs here for ultimately no obvious reason.


    Despite the fact that there are some people besides actual fans ordering the figures, it still doesn't line up with O-Scars logic that somehow ALL of the consumers are a separate entity from the fans. Did you read his original post on page 12 that prompted all of this? I suggest you do, maybe you would understand where Emiliano and I are both coming from on this.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  14. #314
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if fans want input on what Mattel does with MOTU, go work for Mattel.
    You got me wrong: I dont want to dictate what Mattel does with MOTU.
    I want A: to be able to help when they need; B: have this site helping promote their brand even more and better.

    I don't think Mattel should bend over backwards for He-Man.org.
    LOL! Seriously, where did you get that from?
    Who ever said Mattel has to bend backwards for He-Man.org?
    We're making some major confusion here, I think you need to reread all mine and Val's post.

    I don't think it was a good idea to voice all of those issues on the podcast.
    I think it was, because we were able to speak our feeling with our real voice and fans deserve to know what has going on behind the scene all this time.
    And you're forgetting this isn't just about us contributing (that's only part of the problem) but it was more abotu fighting to let fans hear their voice and keep having this site - we didn't say it exactly maybe, but there have been times where the existance of this site was in danger.

    Work for Mattel.
    This is getting rude.
    And it doens't make sense as if you haven't got it, Mattel doens't want us.

    Still I can be a freelance and help when I'm asked to.
    I don't work at Hasbro but I get to contribure to their products when they ask me to.

    But again, this isn't about me, the topic is and should remain the site, not me and Val!

  15. #315
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    And what the hell is your point?

    O-scar is basically saying that the 'fans' are just complainers and the 'customers' are all that matter.

    The reality is that the majority of the customers are fans.

    And many of the fans who buy from resellers are 'would-be' customers who may not have had a choice but to buy from a reseller because the item sold out before they were able to order it.

    You are splitting hairs here for ultimately no obvious reason.


    Despite the fact that there are some people besides actual fans ordering the figures, it still doesn't line up with O-Scars logic that somehow ALL of the consumers are a separate entity from the fans. Did you read his original post on page 12 that prompted all of this? I suggest you do, maybe you would understand where Emiliano and I are both coming from on this.
    hey, no reason to get bent out of shape. i saw you making, what i felt was, a dishonest argument (all customers are fans except the ones that aren't) and replied.

    even if all fans ARE customers, it's irrelevant. based on the op, mattel has separated fan relations from customer service.

    think of it like this, if you go out to your car and there's a coupon for a free big mac, that's fan relations. if you go get that big mac, you are now dealing with customer service. if there's something wrong with it, you go to customer service. you aren't going to track down the person who put the coupon on your car.

  16. #316
    Heroic Warrior hauke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    While not all fans buy the toys (which could be a variety of reasons... in most cases likely financial reasons), I would argue that almost everyone who buys the toys is likely a fan, with the exception of people who buy them specifically to resell at a profit, or maybe someone buying them as a gift for someone else who is a fan.

    While there are differing levels of "fans" (some might not be as 'die hard' about the line as others), I doubt that anyone who actually buys and collects these figures for themselves would not be considered a 'fan'.

    So in that respect, your logic doesn't quite add up.
    To be honest I have bought lots of figures from toylines/properties I do not care about simply because I liked a particular design.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

    Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

    My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

  17. #317
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The line was launched when Mattycollector's forum did NOT exist. You saved a lot of money on free publicity, free research, etc. via the Org. Without the Org, launching MOTUC would have been virtually impossible.... remember, the original plan was to have the line on "toy shelves." When stores ran screaming because of the bad case ratio memories of 200X, you quickly, and cleverly, spun the line into an online adult-collector exclusive. That would have been impossible without He-Man.Org. Frankly, I'm glad you DID make it an online brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    In answer to the question you posed as the beginning of this thread, I think the fact that you started this thread ON He-Man.org is one MAJOR answer! By doing this HERE, you have acknowledged that THIS IS NOT ANY OTHER FAN SITE. And it simply isn't. This has sort of been stated in other posts, but the argument could VERY easily be made that without this site MOTUC wouldn't exist. Without Val & Emiliano keeping the fires of Eternia burning, MOTUC wouldn't exist. And that should be recognized.
    Agreed...If not for this website, I personally would never have purchased a SINGLE product from Mattel. I never bought figures or toys, and I only found this site when I was goofing around online one day in a nostalgic phase. Seeing everyone's customs and dioramas piqued my interest a little, and it was through visiting this site that I eventually got more interested and went to mattycollector.com when the first figures were for sale. It would not have happened any other way...I learned about the line here.

  18. #318
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    [*]Kevenn brought up a good point about inclusive and exclusive language in some of the material that is released. He (and many others) have also brought up valid points about POP and the 200x MOTU series seemingly less important to the overall line. While I understand that they may not be every fan's cup of tea--and that's fine, I respect that--it was stated at the beginning that they would be part of the line (which I'm thrilled about) and, as a result, I would hope the creators behind the MOTUC line put an equal amount of dedication into derivatives of POP and 200x toys as they do behind the vintage derivatives. The example brought up by people in this thread, which is completely applicable to my argument, is the Etheria map--folks have rightly pointed out that there were other locations from Mattel endorsed media that could have been incorporated but wasn't.

    I don't know... between Keldor, Marzo, Carnivous, Grayskull... I think the 200x is getting it's respect... They even found a way to work in the horrid sword into the mix... Even a lot of people who LIKE MYP hated THAT thing...

    I actually have not seen this Etheria map, so I have no opinion on it at all... PoP seems to be picking up speed now... We have Adora, She-ra, Bow... (and PROBABLY a May figure...) Not to mention Swift Wind coming..

    I think the NA fans have a right to be ticked though...


    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    [*]As far as your (Scott's) answers in Q&A's or threads like this, there are only two things that kind of bug me. The first is when you start to use catch-all phrases (i.e. that horrible bit about hyper-anime-super-details or whatever it was--I've blocked it out, but fortunately you stopped using it). Certainly I can understand how a reliance on catch-all phrases can evolve, especially when questions are selected by the Q&A moderators that are rehashes of things addressed countless other times (i.e. When do we get so-and-so? and Such-and-such is a problem--fix it now!), but maybe you can spice up a bit now and then? The second thing is when you practically dismiss available characters outright, as has been done with Illumina in this thread. Yes, you stated that she is possible and could come out near the end of the MOTUC series--but the tone of your writing also suggests that we shouldn't put too much stock in our hopes for a representation for her. At least allow us to dream... [/LIST]

    I have to agree with the "ask the same question... Get the same answer' approach. There's only so many ways to answer a question... None of those answers ever really bothered me. It's always the QUESTIONS that I get annoyed with...

    We KNOW he can't comment past Hiss... WHY did THAT question get picked this week >.< We only get five, and THAT Question got picked??


    Also as for outright dismissing characters and such...

    C'MON!!!

    Earlier in the thread the Biggest things we asked for was treat us like adults... be HONEST with us... I don't want him to coyly say... "Illumina? Gosh... I can't say right now... You never know!!!!"

    I WANT him to say... "We have the line planned out to 2017... and umm... she's not in it."

    Things may change... something COULD happen... but NO, you should NOT dream and hope and pray for this character for a LONG time... THere are other more important characters we're doing first...


    THAT's the kind of honesty I like to hear...

  19. #319
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Work for Mattel
    If only it were that simple. Toyguru has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want anyone else working on MOTUC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    There is not currently an opening on the MOTUC or Mattycollector brand... we have MOTU experts on staff already, so there isn't a consultant position available or even needed... we've got the MOTU expert field covered in full already.

  20. #320
    Unexpected Attack! Sabretooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I think it was, because we were able to speak our feeling with our real voice and fans deserve to know what has going on behind the scene all this time.
    I think it is ok to voice your feelings in RoastGooble. But there are always (at least) two points of view. I think next time you speak about this topic in the podcast you shoud do it when Toyguru is invited so we can hear his comments/notes/reaction/opinion. If this is supposed to be a fair-play discussion you need the other side let be heard in the podcast too!
    Last edited by Sabretooth; January 11, 2011 at 03:15pm.

  21. #321
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,498
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    hey, no reason to get bent out of shape. i saw you making, what i felt was, a dishonest argument (all customers are fans except the ones that aren't) and replied.
    It's not a dishonest arguement. You are splitting hairs over the handful of exceptions. There might be resellers or the occasional person buying the figures because they 'look cool' (but otherwise don't care for MOTU for the most part) buying these figures, but they are not the DRIVING FORCE behind what this line is. The line wouldn't have become this popular if it wasn't for actual fans.

    And considering that my response was to O-Star, and HIS point (that I was replying to) was that customers and fans are two completely different things (when in reality, for the most part, they are one and the same), I was replying to that.

    Between this and your absurd defense of the issues involving people's problems with the combined subscriptions, you are really on a roll today with posts that completely miss the point of the conversation at hand.

    even if all fans ARE customers, it's irrelevant. based on the op, mattel has separated fan relations from customer service.

    think of it like this, if you go out to your car and there's a coupon for a free big mac, that's fan relations. if you go get that big mac, you are now dealing with customer service. if there's something wrong with it, you go to customer service. you aren't going to track down the person who put the coupon on your car.
    No, it's not irrelevant at all.

    The problem is that they are trying to separate things that a very much tied into each other. They don't want to discuss customer service, but that is one big issue that fans are frustrated over.

    Your coupon arguement doesn't even hold up. It's not an accurate comparison.

    First of all, who put the coupon on the car? Was it an empoyee or contractor of the business in question? Was it some random stranger? Was it the person's grandmother?

    If it was an employee or contractor hired by the business, then you certainly can and should bring them into the issue. If the coupon isn't good (is it expired?), then why are their employees putting bad coupons on people's cars? Shouldn't that be a legitimate complaint to bring up to customer service if that is indeed what happened? Even if we don't go so far as to "track down" the specific person who put the coupon on the car, if this person works for this business in some manner or another, then it's fair to complain about the person putting the coupons on the car.

    Now, if someone else entirely (a random stranger, or a friend/relative) put the coupon on the car, then it wouldn't be fair to point blame at the business.


    But the point is that if the person passing out these coupons works for the business in some capacity or another, then it is not just 'fan relations, a separate thing from customer service. It is one and the same. They are putting a coupon on the car, giving me a deal and trying to drum up business, and when I go in and the coupon isn't good, it doesn't become a separate issue. It's all tied in together.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 11, 2011 at 02:08pm.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  22. #322
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    You got me wrong: I dont want to dictate what Mattel does with MOTU.
    I want A: to be able to help when they need; B: have this site helping promote their brand even more and better.


    LOL! Seriously, where did you get that from?
    Who ever said Mattel has to bend backwards for He-Man.org?
    We're making some major confusion here, I think you need to reread all mine and Val's post.


    I think it was, because we were able to speak our feeling with our real voice and fans deserve to know what has going on behind the scene all this time.
    And you're forgetting this isn't just about us contributing (that's only part of the problem) but it was more abotu fighting to let fans hear their voice and keep having this site - we didn't say it exactly maybe, but there have been times where the existance of this site was in danger.


    This is getting rude.
    And it doens't make sense as if you haven't got it, Mattel doens't want us.

    Still I can be a freelance and help when I'm asked to.
    I don't work at Hasbro but I get to contribure to their products when they ask me to.

    But again, this isn't about me, the topic is and should remain the site, not me and Val!
    I wasn't trying to be rude...if it sounded like it, I apologize. I don't have time to go through hundreds of posts. I'm going based on what was said in the podcast and what Scott is trying to emphasize in his posts.

    Anyhow, I don't want to get in a back and forth because that wasn't my point. I skimmed the thread and with the exception of fans wanting specific things, a lot of us just want a better buying experience on MattyCollector. I love what Scott has done with MOTUC and from a fan/buyer perspective, I'm happy with what I've been given, product-wise.

  23. #323
    Court Magician O-Scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    58
    Mattel Thank You for listening to your fans and customers (i didn't say there wasn't any overlay- it's not black or white)
    Thank You For:
    Reversing He-Man's Shoulders
    Fixing Skeltors Hands
    A-List Variants
    Battle Stands
    Battle Cat and Oversized Beasts
    Two Pack Army builders
    Reissuing King Greyskull
    Reissues
    2 Heads on Moss Man and unflocked ears
    Weapon's Paks
    Adora's 2 toned sword
    Perch for zoar
    200x Elements
    2nd Heads
    Maps
    Motu Artbook
    SDCC exclusives
    WTFWTK questions and answers
    Upcoming vehicles
    He-Man toys at Retail (TRU exclusives)
    Fast Reissues on Battle Cat and Trap-Jaw
    Toy Guru and his dedication to the Brand
    Fixing the DR problems
    Replacing my Chief carnivous when he came w/ backwards legs
    addressing quality control issues

    most of all Thank You for HE-MAN TOYS!!!!

    What more else can you do? You can start by giving me hug..Toy Guru i'm looking at you, SDCC i'll be there.

    P.S. I've posted my resume

  24. #324
    AKA James Eatock Busta Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I do feel for James though. He should have gotten credit.
    I appreciate that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    It doesn't mean we might not post or call if something comes up, but we've got the MOTU expert field covered in full already.
    You're missing the cartoon expert, because Busta Toons is right HERE (oh great, now I'm speaking in third person)!

  25. #325
    Heroic Warrior DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,133
    First I'm sorry that I'll have to break down the wall-o-text... to reply to it. Nothing Personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by O-Scar View Post
    You wanna know who really kept the flame burning when we had no HE-MAN, TOY GURU,for loving He-Man so much he and the Four Horsemen got Mattel to give us He-Man toys again without any media behind it and creating a freaking craze by giving us the He-Man toys we've always wanted.
    If it wasn't for the fans we wouldn't have gotten the 200X line or MOTUC.
    The fans kept MOTU Alive when Mattel (The company that makes the MOTU products) did not. They gave up on MOTU on the 90s all the way until the early 200X (When the commemorative and 200X lines hit the stores)

    You know also kept the flame going? The consumers, not the fans, fans only complain and nit-pick about how he man should have thicker eye brows and mullet and blah blah blah.
    And "complaining about complainers" helps the cause in what way?
    The consumers only keep it alive as long as Mattel delivers product. Who keeps the flame alive when Mattel closes up shop and decides to end the line(s)? The fans. Let's take the eyebrow thing that you mentioned. While it could be considered as a complaint or nit-pick, The MOTUC He-Man eyebrows are too thin compared to the Original He-Man figure. For a line that is so "Vintage" inspired that they go out of their way to give us ridiculous reasons why certain non- vintage elements can't be made this change can be considered a huge error.
    Is it the end of the world? Not at all.
    About the Mullet, since that's my thread I'm gonna get on a soapbox here.
    We were promised extra heads, now Mattel is cutting back on 200X heads. I'm just pointing out that the Mullet is not a 200X element and that it's still viable to have it in MOTUC since it's Vintage.
    I believe that it would suck if Laser Light He-Man gets the very same He-Man head that we've gotten quite a few times (He-Man, Adam, aker, Wun-Dar, Possibly Oo-Larr, etc.) when he has a different head.

    I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to make a point. There are other vintage heads that deserve their time in the spotlight. Especially one that in one way or another has been in ALL eras of MOTU. If Optikk can get two heads, why not He-Man?

    Consumers actually bought the toys continue to buy the toys, Mattel is a business and they sell toys.Fans don't own He-Man, Mattel does period.
    Consumers buying toys only works as long as Mattel supplies product. That's the only support consumers can give. Fans on the other hand, have a passion towards the brand and support it EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO PRODUCT TO BUY.

    Fans has this sense of entitlement to the brand, just because we buy the toys doesn't mean we own the property. I think Mattel is doing an absolutely magnificent job with fan relations and i couldn't be happier.
    Good for you, but there's plenty of room to improve... Some of Mattel's answers seem condescending "Mossman is not a bath toy", the "Star Wars Ice Cream guy" reference towards Illumina, etc.

    The Roast Gooble Dinner Crew said in their Holiday Special that they wanted things to be better with mattel this year....bad start.
    The one who started this thread was Toyguru himself, not Val or Emiliano.


    Some things are best kept behind closed doors, you guys are professionals next time think about that before airing out dirty laundry for everyone to see.
    Emiliano has said a couple of times on this topic that most of this should have been kept behind closed doors.

    Sometimes things don't translate well in messages and emails and signals get crossed. Toy Guru you have overextended yourself, you talk with the fans show up at comic con, post on message boards (where you get blasted-usually) and continue to give us amazing toys keep up the good work.
    Yes and to make matters worse sometimes Toyguru's messages get awful reactions. He gets more flak since he's Mattel's representative and some of his comments can be taken the wrong way. Especially when there are issues with the Product (Mossman's flocking, the restrictive hard She-Ra dress, Roboto's shoulders and/or cracked Torsos and last but not least the breaking of the goddess.) He needs to be extra careful with what he says for two reasons: His Matty overlords and to avoid costumer/fan backlash.


    We we have no He-Man we will look back and think hey there was this guy at Mattel who loved he man and tried to get us the best product possible but at the end of the day he quit because he was doing a thankless job. So on behalf of people who think logically-THANK YOU, I Look forward to rest of the year in figures, and comic con and cant wait for the next WTFWTK Session. Who is ilumina?
    Huh? you lost me here. You're already killing the line and making Toyguru lose his job?

    There was MOTU before Toyguru and there CAN BE a MOTU line AFTER Toyguru... In the meantime I'm trying to enjoy Toyguru's MOTU. (even with the boneheaded moves from his superiors)

    BTW What makes you think that we "Who don't think the same way as you" DON'T look forward to the rest of the year?

    Personally I appreciate the efforts that The 4 Horsemen and Toyguru have made to get us this line. I don't appreciate having my intelligence insulted with some of the answers we get from Toyguru, or the rest of the Matty staff regarding the line...
    Last edited by DO4M; January 11, 2011 at 02:25pm.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •