Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan relations - what is it fans want us to do that we are not?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I think the main feeling of "distance" between Matty and the .org comes because like Toyguru has mentioned, they want to drive people to their mattycollector site which is still fairly new while many of us have been on the .org for over a decade.

You have been doing a great job with the brand, Toyguru. I couldn't be happier this time around when it comes to fan interaction with Mattel.

One thing I'd like to echo is "more OFFICIAL" polls on matty. Something that the results can possibly effect. We do polls all day on here for fun, but I'd really like to see official ones.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    The fact of the matter is that I think the Matty boards are just NOT GOOD, the majority of posters make threads about nothing and the mods can be a bit tough.

I'm registered there, but I think I've made a grand total of 5 posts or so. I'm just not willing to jump out of this shiny Hummer to pedal a bicycle with a rusty chain!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Hi ToyGuru.

One of the first things you could start with is acknowledging that He-Man.org is not just another fan site to be lumped in with the others. He-Man.org is THE Masters of the Universe website where fans go to feel at home. The Org (Val and Emiliano) have kept the MOTU property alive for many years while it lay dormant in Mattels hands. This website is the only reason that the Masters of the Universe property still has this large of a presence in the collector and fan community as it does. So, instead of trying to fight that or feel threatened by it, you should embrace it.
    We love fans sites and will continue to work with them, but legally we are not in a position to endorse any one site as "the best". We like all of them! We will let the fans decide what "fan sites" are best. It is not something Mattel is in a place to judge.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 9, 2011 at 07:41pm.

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    Hi toyguru,

I think that for the most part, you do a pretty good job with relations. There is one issue though, that I would like to address. And this will probably open a can of worms, so I'm sorry.

Several months ago you stated that you had no plans for an Illumina figure, because she was a "fan-pitched" character. Yet you then go ahead and make a Mo-Larr figure, who is as much a "fan-pitched" character as Illumina. And in my opinion, Illumina had a much more relevant back-story.

At least to me, the differences between these characters come down to splitting hairs. It felt like Mattel chose to disavow the Illumina character as a way to punish he-man.org for a soured relationship. You also said stuff like "that ship has sailed" in relation to the .org. I don't think that the animosity stems from you (rather than the higher-ups at mattel), but I was still shocked at how mean-spirited it felt to me.

A suggestion for improving fan relations: Let Val publish the series bible that he created, either here or on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by vaderSW1 View Post
    Scott,

- Have you ever seen the way Hasbro interacts with the Star Wars fans? The way that they do/did polls for the most fan-requested characters and then would create them? Why wouldn't Mattel do something like that with the fans here at He-Man.Org?

- I can remember back during the 200x days when Mattel would allot Val some of the SDCC exclusive figures to sell directly to the .Org'ers that couldn't make it to the con. This was awesome and I feel it really showed appreciation and respect to the loyal He-Fans & She-Ravers. Why wouldn't Mattel consider doing something like this? It makes perfect business sense, given that there is a set fan base that would buy every last one of them. It's as close to a sure thing as one can get!

We do do fan polls for some lines (like DCUC). For MOTUC we have the line worked out in advance for strategic reasons based on availability of shared parts an information we want to reveal through bios. That is why MOTUC won't have fan polls. We do however greatly listen to fan posts and suggestions for the line. That is why you see characters like Marzo and Wun-dar in the line - because fans demanded it, even if not through an "acutal poll".

In the days before we had our own Direct to Consumer site it made a lot of sense to distribute a limited amount of product through fan sites. Times have changed. Now that we have Mattycollector.com, we have a vehicle to distribute product for those not at a show (at least the non show version of things). When we did the art book that was only at SDCC we did sell 10 copies each to several He-Man.org members to distribute and this was the only time we broke the 2 per person rule selling this item. For the most part we want to keep the SDCC version of toys exclusive to the show. If we distributed them through a fan site (or even Matty.com) it would dilute the value of getting something that is exclusive to the show and rewards fans for going to the show. What is the point of a show exclusive if you can get it elsewhere? That is why we try to change up some of our toys for a SDCC only version (like clear Orko or Gleek)

Quote Originally Posted by sailoruranus View Post
    Hi toyguru,
    \

A suggestion for improving fan relations: Let Val publish the series bible that he created, either here or on the matty forums.

We're just not interested in having other conflicting stories out there right now. Best to let it go.

Same with Illumina. We have rights to her, but just not a character we are interested in doing right now. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. Don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 9, 2011 at 07:36pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

TG-
    I completely understand the marketing aspect of things since I am in the marketing dept of a corporation. I think making marketing decisions a bit more 'transparent' would help those that don't understand marketing.

Here is my list of things so far:

1. Use the Org as your test/focus group.
    Yes, you are "preaching to the choir" so I understand not revealing things hear. However, sometimes even the preacher needs to reach out to his congregation lol.

I am not sure what the percentage of toys are sold are sold to Org members but I bet it is a SUBSTANTIAL amount and at the very least it would make a GREAT population sampling of the target market. I would KILL to have this sort of population sample for our product research. It seems that our enthusiasm/or lack of enthusiasm for certain characters on this site can sweep across to many other site across the net therefor drumming up support for even the most minor of figures.
    So, Why not MINE that golden info from time to time. Make a poll, make it unnofficial.

2. Use the podcast to give Mattel a human/fan side.
    Why not combine your Q&A(which you do already) and the podcast into one and send your Q&As into the podcast. it could be a semi-monthly segment just like the Q&As are. HEARING the answers coming from a living human being would REALLY help deflect criticism AND give Mattel a more 'fan' edge as you would then be placed into the same category as fan since people would hear your voice along with all the other hosts which are fans.

3. Honesty
    Honesty IS the best policy even if things hurt. People HATE to feel stupid, lied to or worse yet get the feeling they are being made fools of and even more so on the internet when they can vent their anger anonymously.
    If there is a mistake, no matter how small, own up to it.

Yes, this DOES include DR but I will not talk about that here.

However, things like mistakes in bios, character rights(which you have been honest about) etc need improvement. Also, what happened to things such as "we get extra heads so no mini comics" since now it seems no extra heads if they are 200X heads. If we get less extra heads we should then get mini comics back. I think it is because the higher ups have decided to trim even more off the figures cause they know they can. If this IS the case then this is something that NEEDS to be honestly told to fans. It hurts but it'd help. Heck, if we were vocal about things maybe fans could change TPTBs stance on 200X, or some other cause, altogether

4. Preach to the choir!!!Let them sing it loud and sing it proud
    I know, I know, you said giving reveals or special treatment to the site(or any other) is counter productive. But WHY would some preach to the choir?????

Because the choir can SING what the preacher wants said even LOUDER and FARTHER than the preacher could ever dream of being heard.
    I think sending out preview samples are GREAT. heck I think people here or at any other site would love what you did at the art show. Show some mystery items with no explanation.

Here is how it could work the week before SDCC
    day 1(Friday):
    org gets a VERY macro shot(picture/link hosted at matty) of some figure/weapon and fans need to go to matty to guess what it is
    day 2(Saturday):
    thefwoosh gets another macro shot again hosted by matty with link. Fans are directed to matty to guess what it is.
    day 3(Sunday):
    4H get a macro shot on their site with a linkto matty. Fans again can guess at matty.
    day 4(Monday):
    popculturnetwork get a shot as well that is hosted by matty which fans are directed to where they can guess
    day 5(Tuesday):
    matty collector reveals another pic on their facebook and website.
    day 6(Wednesday/preview night)
    the entire figure/weapon is then revealed on preview night. If they were pics of different items then the fan who guessed everything right gets something free.
    You would gain A LOT of momentum leading up to SDCC and since you would probably reveal something small anyway on preview night it is a win win.

5. Promise something and follow through:
    even if it is something small as making galleries and other content on the matty site make sure it happens. When things do not happen that were talked bout, fans will remember, fans LIVE to remember things like that lol

6. Why yes i am available for hire.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    The fact of the matter is that I think the Matty boards are just NOT GOOD, the majority of posters make threads about nothing and the mods can be a bit tough.

I'm registered there, but I think I've made a grand total of 5 posts or so. I'm just not willing to jump out of this shiny Hummer to pedal a bicycle with a rusty chain!
    Nah, Matty's not bad or anything. We are just all used to the .org and have been on it for years and in some cases over a decade. When people get banned from here, they go on Matty with an agenda. They do have a good community over there. I try to participate there as much as I can, but a lot of the topics just aren't as active as on the .org. I don't have a problem with using both Matty and the .org forums, but Matty will never take the place of the .org...for me at least.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Uh oh. I hope it don't get ugly in here 'cause of the Illumina response.

Heroic Warrior
    Hi Scott,

I haven't heard the particular episode of Roast Gooble yet, but just from my perspective, I don't really know what more anyone expects of you or Mattel. Having collected Hasbro and Mattel brands, I have to say that the fan interaction with MOTUC and Mattel is a ton better than at least the way it has been with Transformers.

There are little things here and there that I would prefer, but I am not sure they fall into the categories of fan relations (200x heads). In any case, I just want to thank you for your obvious care and concern for the line. I honestly don't know how you put up with some of the comments I have read over the past few years about big conspiracies at Mattel and whatnot. Sending review samples, answering questions ON YOUR OWN TIME (which is awesome!!!), and much more goes far and above anything that any fan of the property should expect from a toy company. So thank you for all that you do!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I am pretty content with the fan-relations. I just don't feel a lot of love for the MotuC line though, but the Fan-relations doesn't have anything to do with that. :-) I still buy every single figure though to support the line in hopes that some day there will be something more to my liking.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    So it's just that easy? All Val, Emiliano, Eamon and other .org members who want to work on MOTUC have to do is go to Mattel.com and sign up with the company? Can they still freelance or do they have to be outright employees?

Would .org exclusive figure (like Illumina and her cat) OR repaints (Filmation colors) be out of the question?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    So it's just that easy? All Val, Emiliano, Eamon and other .org members who want to work on MOTUC have to do is go to Mattel.com and sign up with the company? Can they still freelance or do they have to be outright employees?

Would .org exclusive figure (like Illumina and her cat) OR repaints (Filmation colors) be out of the question?
    Applying to Mattel is how I got my job after all.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    TG-
    I completely understand the marketing aspect of things since I am in the marketing dept of a corporation. I think making marketing decisions a bit more 'transparent' would help those that don't understand marketing.

Yes, you are "preaching to the choir" so I understand not revealing things hear. However, sometimes even the preacher needs to reach out to his congregation lol.

I am not sure what the percentage of toys are sold are sold to Org members but I bet it is a SUBSTANTIAL amount and at the very least it would make a GREAT population sampling of the target market. I would KILL to have this sort of population sample for our product research. It seems that our enthusiasm/or lack of enthusiasm for certain characters on this site can sweep across to many other site across the net therefor drumming up support for even the most minor of figures.
    So, Why not MINE that golden info from time to time. Make a poll, make it unnofficial.

Why not combine your Q&A(which you do already) and the podcast into one and send your Q&As into the podcast. it could be a semi-monthly segment just like the Q&As are. HEARING the answers coming from a living human being would REALLY help deflect criticism AND give Mattel a more 'fan' edge as you would then be placed into the same category as fan since people would hear your voice along with all the other hosts which are fans.

3. Honesty
    Honesty IS the best policy even if things hurt. People HATE to feel stupid, lied to or worse yet get the feeling they are being made fools of and even more so on the internet when they can vent their anger anonymously.

However, things like mistakes in bios, character rights(which you have been honest about) etc need improvement. Also, what happened to things such as "we get extra heads so no mini comics" since now it seems no extra heads if they are 200X heads. If we get less extra heads we should then get mini comics back. I think it is because the higher ups have decided to trim even more off the figures cause they know they can. If this IS the case then this is something that NEEDS to be honestly told to fans. It hurts but it'd help. Heck, if we were vocal about things maybe fans could change TPTBs stance on 200X, or some other cause, altogether

I know, I know, you said giving reveals or special treatment to the site(or any other) is counter productive. But WHY would some preach to the choir?????

Because the choir can SING what the preacher wants said even LOUDER and FARTHER than the preacher could ever dream of being heard.
    I think sending out preview samples are GREAT. heck I think people here or at any other site would love what you did at the art show. Show some mystery items with no explanation.

day 1(Friday):
    org gets a VERY macro shot(picture/link hosted at matty) of some figure/weapon and fans need to go to matty to guess what it is
    day 2(Saturday):
    thefwoosh gets another macro shot again hosted by matty with link. Fans are directed to matty to guess what it is.
    day 3(Sunday):
    4H get a macro shot on their site with a linkto matty. Fans again can guess at matty.
    day 4(Monday):
    popculturnetwork get a shot as well that is hosted by matty which fans are directed to where they can guess
    day 5(Tuesday):
    the entire figure/weapon is then revealed on preview night. If they were pics of different items then the fan who guessed everything right gets something free.
    You would gain A LOT of momentum leading up to SDCC and since you would probably reveal something small anyway on preview night it is a win win.

even if it is something small as making galleries and other content on the matty site make sure it happens. When things do not happen that were talked bout, fans will remember, fans LIVE to remember things like that lol

Excellent post! I'm totally agree with everything!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We love fans sites and will continue to work with them, but legally we are not in a position to endorse any one site as "the best". We like all of them!
    In my opinion, He-Man.org have kept alive the MOTU flame even when the MOTU brand wasnt a success like the MOTUC line is, so for me, they are "the best". I really hope to see Emiliano artwork in MOTUC. Val and Emiliano really did an awesome work with 200X. There isnt their fault if the 200X line failed and they seem to be now exiled in MOTUC projects. This IMO is not fair for them.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Heroic Warrior
    Hi Scott! I'm afraid that the motuc fan base is not totally US-Based! Greetings From Argentina.

I don't know if anything needs really fixing, I mean personally I would just like to see a presence instead of being called out to show up.

I am not meaning that to mean or derogatory and I understand the need to push mattycollector.com forum. But it seems the only real time we see you (Scott) is when someone either says something, makes you mad, or generally forces you to be here and confront the org as to why the issue was brought out to begin with.

I mean I appreciate you being as responsive as you have been but at times when you come here and say "What can I do better I am already doing more than enough" is the sentiment that many get. So ultimately why ask the question if you already have decided on the answer

Point in case, you just said you cannot show favoritism to one site over another. So then does it really make a world of difference if fans of the org think you do not relate as well to them? You are simply doing your job and trying to be fair.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Same with Illumina. We have rights to her, but just not a character we are interested in doing right now. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. Don't hold your breath.
    Maybe that would be the best way to do it for example... you have the sub exclusives, and the convention exclusives how about doing Illumina as an .Org exclusive?

I think something like that would stay within the context of not confusing the mythology yet at the same time show that the fans really do matter to Mattel while at the same time not making a massively popular character that *everyone* would want as an exclusive?
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Free figures?

We're just not interested in having other conflicting stories out there right now. Best to let it go.
    This is the one that bothers me the most. Why can't it just be published here on He-Man.org? We all know it's not canon and has nothing to do with MOTUC. How different is it really than a fansite hosting Filmation info or motion picture info?

I'm a big fan of MOTUC's new mythos, but I don't for a second believe you have anything to really worry about if He-Man.org published the details around an aborted comic storyline from almost ten years ago. Maybe I don't understand the legalities behind it.

Other than that, I'm cool with the fan interaction.

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Hi Scott,

I haven't heard the particular episode of Roast Gooble yet, but just from my perspective, I don't really know what more anyone expects of you or Mattel. Having collected Hasbro and Mattel brands, I have to say that the fan interaction with MOTUC and Mattel is a ton better than at least the way it has been with Transformers.

There are little things here and there that I would prefer, but I am not sure they fall into the categories of fan relations (200x heads). In any case, I just want to thank you for your obvious care and concern for the line. I honestly don't know how you put up with some of the comments I have read over the past few years about big conspiracies at Mattel and whatnot. Sending review samples, answering questions ON YOUR OWN TIME (which is awesome!!!), and much more goes far and above anything that any fan of the property should expect from a toy company. So thank you for all that you do!
    I WILL agree that fan interactions for Hasbro an G I JOE are limited and almost non existent. HOWEVER, they DO have OFFICIAL cons for those 2 properties which is something I had always hoped MOTU had.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    So if Val and Emiliano applied to Mattel, then it's considered "wiping the slate clean"? A new start?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    TG-

3. Honesty

day 1(Friday):
    day 2(Saturday):
    day 3(Sunday):
    day 4(Monday):
    day 5(Tuesday):

This is a great post.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar

Wow...because we're not smart enough to discern.

"Let it go.."? Nice. Thanks for the friendly heads up!

I suppose the 3-4 different DC lines out have presented confusing "conflicting stories" and hurt sales? That makes all kinds of sense, in that case!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

So what happens when a new movie comes out? Won't there be a "conflicting" story then??

If the 200x comic is dead, releasing the bible on it is just like releasing some cool piece of vintage info you dug up somewhere. It has no bearing on the current story. We are intelligent adults and we recognize this
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Thanks Scooter!

I have to agree with those happy campers: you and the Mattel gang are doing great stuff for us. Thanks!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    This is a hard one...

I have always the feeling, that Mattel have their own rules and reasons, why they behavior in this or that direction...

A collaboration with .org or other sites would be nice, because fans are the best source of caring about MOTU... But there are reasons, why Mattel don`t want to use this ressources...

And that`s hard, because looking at the awesome 200x Comics or the "fan artwork" for the Mer Man 2Pack let me imagine, how great MOTUC could be in other media...

Mattel want to do it their way and this "artworks" in the shop are the best example how they fail to sell everything MOTU... I mean 80 $ for this lame stuff?

A poll would have avoided this situation...