Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan relations - what is it fans want us to do that we are not?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We do however greatly listen to fan posts and suggestions for the line. That is why you see characters like Marzo and Wun-dar in the line - because fans demanded it, even if not through an "acutal poll".

We're just not interested in having other conflicting stories out there right now. Best to let it go.

Same with Illumina. We have rights to her, but just not a character we are interested in doing right now. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. Don't hold your breath.
    Illumina is a good example of a fan requested character. In fact i'd say there's been far more demand for her than for Wonder Bread He-Man. Doing a figure of her would also be a great opportunity to reuse the Teela & Panthor bucks again.

If Mattel doesn't like the story Emiliano created for her, well, why not simply change her story to make her fit in? After all, you did this with He-Ro so that he could co-exist with King Grayskull.

We're just not interested in having other conflicting stories out there right now. Best to let it go.

Same with Illumina. We have rights to her, but just not a character we are interested in doing right now. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. Don't hold your breath.
    You see, this is something I cannot understand. First rule of business Scott...the customer is always right. If they ask you for something within reason, you give it to them. It keeps them happy, and keeping your customers happy is number one in CUSTOMER RELATIONS, aka FAN RELATIONS.
    That said, I do like the direction MOTUC is heading, and think you guys are doing a good job.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I'm pretty much happy as a whole with the line.

I agree with several others that the whole ordering process and dealing with Digital River is horrible. I think the figures would sell much better if Matty would make them easier to obtain. You wanna attract more fans to line, by revealing thing in Toyfare, yet you don't make enough product. That makes absolutely no sense. Mattel can barely keep up with the fans you have now. How do you expect to get new fans??? Also, just cause you re-release a figure later on doesn't mean that it's OK to sell out of it the first time in hours. No fan should have to wait extra months, even a year, for a reissue cause Matty didn't have enough product the first time.

I really enjoy the Q&A's but I wish you'd be more honest with us. Fan's don't want to hear B.S. answers. Nobody wants to be talked down to. Please...BE HONEST!! Don't lie, like when you said there wouldn't be any DCUC themed waves then announce Wave 17. Despite what you say wave 17 is still a themed wave.

Heroic Warrior
    TG already said, that things can change every time...

It doesn`t have to be a lie...

Hi Scott,

First and foremost, thank you for taking your time today to not only put up this thread and take a lot of time today to check back and reply. It works towards showing us fans that we really are important to Mattel and Masters of the Universe. Of course, the key to this is actually following through on some of the feasible suggestions.

In my opinion, the number one thing you can do to better the fan relations is have Mattel be more frank and honest with the fans. Sure, there are things that Mattel cannot speak about due to legal reasons, and that's within reason. I don't expect Mattel to break any legal walls to become closer to the fans, but what can be discussed, please be more frank and honest with us.

As an example, for the longest time, Mattel swore behind the virtues of the white queue screen on mattycollector.com. I would assume that Mattel knew that it didn't work as well as we knew it didn't work, yet they insisted on telling us not to refresh and how it puts us in queue. Well, I personally have found that to be false, as many other of your customers have also.

On a side note before I get to my VERY important final point:

Mattel never did Q & As or an "Ask Matty" thread or review samples for the 2002 line!
    That's simply untrue. Jeremy Padawer came in regularly to participate in the original WTFWTK, and let us in on tons of information that would now be considered confidential. He even told us that we were getting a Wind Raider in the 200x line. Unfortunately, the line was canceled before it's release, and we the fans didn't riot.

Also, Val said on the podcast how Jennifer Hannon sent early product samples. But it seems like that was all. But Mattel Germany DID send samples to German fan sites. Only Mattel USA did not for whatever reason. But I seem to reacall the Four Horsemen saying how it was also hard for them to get samples too. It seems like Mattel USA was simply cheap with the samples when instead they should have been pushing the product samples out there.

Ok, onto my third point...

Thirdly, but equally as important, I feel that a lot of time, us fans are looked down upon in the tone of some of the communication coming from Matty. It seems like we, as the paying customers, are treated as second class in the responses. It seems like the replies imply that we're ignorant, and can't grasp the truth. The perfect case in point is right here:

With all of the existing Masters of the Universe mythos and cannon throughout time, how is another "conflicting story" a bad thing? With all of the stories told through Filmation, MVP, MVC Comics, mini-comics, Ladybird stories, Golden Books, MOTUC bios, and tons more, one more story is supposed to confuse us because it conflicts the others? I can't name any two of the cannons I mentioned that didn't contradict another. Every one of us fans are able to keep each and every one of those separate in our minds, and yet we don't get confused.

It makes no sense, yet we're supposed to accept that as an answer.

I have to be completely honest here and point out that it seems to me as if the MVC comic bible will overshadow Mattel's "official" bios because fans will like it better.

Fan demand to read this is here. Us fans WANT to read it, and believe me when I tell you that we won't get confused. We know it's an old story.

I expected you to say that the reason Mattel didn't want the comic bible posted is because Val and Emiliano intended to post it online. My understanding is that Mattel got mad about this. But ToyFare interviewed them about the comic. Fans knew about the bible and had wanted to read it for years. So the timing was right to post it.

Other bibles have been posted over the years. We aren't confused about the stories. No one got hurt. And it all created more interest and excitement in the brand. The same is easily said about this bible that's almost a decade old!

Emiliano and Val have only had good intentions for MOTU. Why not bury the hatchet on this? Give them permission to post it and give so many of us what we want to see.

Mattel isn't mad at creators for doing interviews on the DVDs, podcasts or on websites about their past involvement and ideas on Mattel and Filmaton, or for showing old source material. It only helps the brand and helps Mattel.

So why are Val and Emiliano singled out? It's why Eamon on the show said that this rift between the Org and Mattel comes across as very petty. It sounds more like someone there is jealous of Val and Emiliano when instead they should be your right-hand men! Yes, you said that if they want a job, they can apply at Mattel. The fact of the matter is that I believe that they don't. They have mentioned in the past that they would gladly give some of their services to Mattel in order to see the best product being released for the fans. That's the kind of involvement they should have, not as an employee.

That being said, if you want Val, Emiliano and anyone else at He-Man.org to follow certain rules or guidelines that you have at Mattel then you need to hire them. Those rules are for employees and contracted labor. If you all worked together then there would be no reason to get upset about them posting a comic bible or pitching themselves as movie consultants and Mattel, He-Man.org and MOTUC would all benefit from the team effort.

While we're referring to that quote, the phrase "best to let it go" really comes off wrong. Once again, it seems as if we're beneath you. That's a phrase that's used by a parent to tell a child to drop a subject before the parent looses his or her cool. It's not how a company embraces their fans on a public forum.

As mentioned before, it seems as if subjects including Val and company just strike a nerve with you. Same with the Illumina comment. There's equal demand for that character as there is for Bikini Teela, if not more because Illumina is a new character instead of a variant. Still, you're blowing off the fan request for Illumina, where you embraced it for a variant such as Bikini Teela. That really seems like there's something more to this.

Scott, please know that we do appreciate what you do for the community, but there is so much that can be done, and so much more that can be done better. Understand that I'm not bashing you or your efforts for the Masters of the Universe community, but answering your question on what can be done better.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    While we're referring to that quote, the phrase "best to let it go" really comes off wrong. Once again, it seems as if we're beneath you. That's a phrase that's used by a parent to tell a child to drop a subject before the parent looses his or her cool. It's not how a company embraces their fans on a public forum.
    As long as we don't get the "best to let it go" comment in regards to Filmation characters I'll be ok... However, I guess I can see why it would be upsetting to read that in regards to a character you really want to see. I guess the part I find odd is that we don't want conflicting stories, yet we are told that we (the fans) create our own bios and mythos. I would honestly rather read something along the lines of "we don't like the character" or "we don't think she'll sell."

I don't envy Scott's position as he will NEVER be able please everybody, but somehow Mattel needs to find a way to deliver clear, honest answers to the customer (or "fan.")

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    No offense to anyone but I really don't care about an Illumina figure at all so that's not a big deal to me at all. That character means nothing to me as I don't know anything about it. I would buy it if it was an .org exclusive, just because of that fact though.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Excellent post Dorrmann.

I'd like to reference something in regards to the relations with the international fan base but I need some time to express it correctly since I've been studying the whole day and I don¿t have all the ducks in line at the moment.
    Hope I'll have some time tomorrow.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar

I have to be completely honest here and point out that it seems to me as if the MVC comic bible will overshadow Mattel's "official" bios because fans will like it better.
    This is the best point that anyone has made about this particular topic.

I think the MOTUC Bios would be vastly inferior to anything that Val and Emiliano might provide...
    Last edited by Larry Waters; January 9, 2011 at 09:35pm.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    As long as we don't get the "best to let it go" comment in regards to Filmation characters I'll be ok... However, I guess I can see why it would be upsetting to read that in regards to a character you really want to see. I guess the part I find odd is that we don't want conflicting stories, yet we are told that we (the fans) create our own bios and mythos. I would honestly rather read something along the lines of "we don't like the character" or "we don't think she'll sell."
    I agree with the FILMation thing, but I think with Illumina it's always been a case of bad wording.

Her bio is too complex - yet they tell us the bios on the back of the figures can be ignored if we want to (not that we need Matty's permission for that though)

They want to include concept characters (Demo-Man, Vikor etc... Illumina is a concept character after all she was conceived yet never saw the light of day) yet when we get the concept characters she's suddenly a 'fan pitched' character.

We're told legally Matty can make her, and then we're told 'don't hold your breath.'

They tell us the 200X bible will never be produced (or Illumina) because they don't want conflicting story lines and mythologies, yet when we ask for a Castle Greyskull they say they'll have to wait for a new media property in order to do it.

I think in regards to this particular character (assuming we never get her as an Org exclusive... which is what I'd really push for) it would save a whole lot of time and effort and backlash if Toyguru/Scott/Matty would just say 'yes we can produce her legally and we know she's in demand but due to storyline dictated reasons we won't be including her.' at the very least that statement will cause less need to explain comments like 'fan pitched' 'she's too complex for the fans' and 'don't hold your breath.'
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    This is an amazing thread, and I truly thank Scott for starting it -Finally it feels like there is a 'Matty' contact thread.

I am possibly very rare in that, I am almost completely happy with the line, I love the Vintage ethos,the bios and I love that NA is getting respect finally.

My only real deep seated concern is the prevalence of Style Guide *Cough,Filmation,Cough* basis of the POP figs, but Tall star has already put forward that concern brilliantly.

That Apparent lack of any Designs taken from the Vinatge POP line is the only thing that worries me, other than that,the line is perfect!

Thanks so much Scott,I personally appreciate your dedication to MOTU (I think its safe to say we wouldnt have MOTUC without your drive.) Keep up the good work.

Aj

(All DR issues I count as seperate from the actual toy line, and even then Ive had 8 months of fantastic DR transactions!)

a
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Toyguru,

If I had to choose on thing that you guys could do to boost fan relations, it would be to not only recognize the production problems that you had with The Goddess, but to also rerelease her as soon as possible.

I'm not referring to leftover customer service stock. Nobody will buy it, and please do NOT choose to view that as an indicator of fan demand for the character. Yes, lots of them broke. Yes, everyone wants a replacement. No, nobody wants a replacement from the original batch...becauase they, too, will break over time.

If you rerelease her, she will sell out just like the original...you shouldn't worry about that. But if you sell us leftover stock from the bad batch, you will shatter the trust you've built with us.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Toyguru,

If I had to choose on thing that you guys could do to boost fan relations, it would be to not only recognize the production problems that you had with The Goddess, but to also rerelease her as soon as possible.

I'm not referring to leftover customer service stock. Nobody will buy it, and please do NOT choose to view that as an indicator of fan demand for the character. Yes, lots of them broke. Yes, everyone wants a replacement. No, nobody wants a replacement from the original batch...becauase they, too, will break over time.

If you rerelease her, she will sell out just like the original...you shouldn't worry about that. But if you sell us leftover stock from the bad batch, you will shatter the trust you've built with us.

Yes but we can't go into production on another batch of any toy when we have some inventory remaining of a previous run. To manage expectations I can tell you we will indeed need to sell off the remaining customer service stock before going into a second run, even with Goddess having some production issues. Not every unit has production issues and like with any sale, we hold stock for returns and damaged goods, so just like with the first sale, if and when we sell off the remaining stock of Goddess if you have a damaged product you can always exchange it for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I agree with the FILMation thing, but I think with Illumina it's always been a case of bad wording.

Her bio is too complex - yet they tell us the bios on the back of the figures can be ignored if we want to (not that we need Matty's permission for that though)

They want to include concept characters (Demo-Man, Vikor etc... Illumina is a concept character after all she was conceived yet never saw the light of day) yet when we get the concept characters she's suddenly a 'fan pitched' character.

We're told legally Matty can make her, and then we're told 'don't hold your breath.'

They tell us the 200X bible will never be produced (or Illumina) because they don't want conflicting story lines and mythologies, yet when we ask for a Castle Greyskull they say they'll have to wait for a new media property in order to do it.

I think in regards to this particular character (assuming we never get her as an Org exclusive... which is what I'd really push for) it would save a whole lot of time and effort and backlash if Toyguru/Scott/Matty would just say 'yes we can produce her legally and we know she's in demand but due to storyline dictated reasons we won't be including her.' at the very least that statement will cause less need to explain comments like 'fan pitched' 'she's too complex for the fans' and 'don't hold your breath.'

Put it this way: we're not interested in rushing Illumina to a figure simply because there is so much greater demand for other female figures like Marlena, Sweetbee, Sorceress, the Star Sisters, Frosta, Netossa, Catra and more. We'd much rather use our female slots for these type of figures compared to a character who is known mostly for an appearance on a promo ad for a canceled comic book series.

Again, you never know what will happen and perhaps the line will go on long enough that is makes sense to put her in. But as I stated above, don't count on it anytime soon. She may have a small but very vocal following here on He-Man.org, but she isn't a character the is demanded on any other site but this one.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 9, 2011 at 10:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Scott,

Thanks for asking this question. It shows that you’re willing to hear suggestions and this is much appreciated.

Now then...

He-Man.org is the primary fan community for Masters of the Universe. I’m assuming you listened to part one of the podcast which went in-depth as to the origins of Masters of the Universe fandom. I am aware that Mattel wishes to make MattyCollector the primary source for MOTUC information and interaction, but why not make use of the Org in that capacity? In all honesty, no matter what you guys wind up doing over at Matty, we’re always going to think of the Org as THE resource and community for all things He-Man. Many fans on the Org and other toy sites feel like Mattel is trying to drive them away from the sites they call home - sites they helped build - in favor of Mattel's site. A lot of people, myself included, don't like that. You strike me as an intelligent person, so I’m sure you are well aware of this, but are perhaps not allowed to acknowledge it in public.

You say that you can’t give any fan site preferential treatment, but this ISN”T any fan site. It’s the community that kept He-Man and She-Ra alive when nobody else cared. It’s the community that continues to keep Masters of the Universe alive. We are the lifeblood of the Masters brand. For this reason, the Org should absolutely get special treatment. For example, this site should be allowed to offer exclusive, Mattel-sanctioned items. The t-shirts we used to have here were great but Mattel took them away. Why do that? Why not work with the community instead of putting up roadblocks? Why not send Val some sample figures so he can offer them as prizes for fans? Things like that make a difference. Exclusives for this site would absolutely benefit MattyCollector. Mattel can do exclusive stuff with the Org, while still directing fans back to the Matty store. This will further tap into the immense amount of traffic the Org gets. Also, rather than spending time and money trying to set up features already on sites like the Org, start working with the Org, the Fwoosh, and Toy News International to use what they have in place, allowing them to drive their traffic back to you.

Why not work directly with Val and Emiliano? Not only are they skilled professionals, but their passion and energy for Masters is inspiring. I’m not saying you aren’t a passionate fan Scott. Clearly, you are! However, Emiliano is generally acknowledged as the world’s leading authority when it comes to Masters of the Universe. The man has knowledge of things that would make even you exclaim with surprise. Val’s devotion to Masters and to this site has driven him to build this into THE place where people go for all things He-Man and She-Ra. Throughout the years, he has gone above and beyond to keep this property in the public eye. I have rarely seen such dedication. THESE are the people you want in your corner.

Why won’t Mattel allow Emiliano to work with the Horsemen? Why won’t Mattel tap someone like Eamon or Baena to work on the packaging art? Why did Mattel prevent MVC from releasing their story bible? The “conflicting stories” comment is preposterous Scott. I'm sorry, but I just can't buy that line. I’m going agree with dorrmann here. From what I gather, the planned story was going to be a well-crafted tale which tied up many existing threads. I suspect fans would have loved that story... a lot.

I know your response to much of this is going to involve the words "legally we can't."

Methinks it’s time to get new lawyers who say “Yes we can!” instead of “No we can’t!”

Thanks for reading.

Danielle aka Penny Dreadful

Yes but we can't go into production on another batch of any toy when we have some inventory remaining of a previous run. To manage expectations I can tell you we will indeed need to sell off the remaining customer service stock before going into a second run, even with Goddess having some production issues. Not every unit has production issues and like with any sale, we hold stock for returns and damaged goods, so just like with the first sale, if and when we sell off the remaining stock of Goddess if you have a damaged product you can always exchange it for a new one.
    Does this mean that, even now, after all of this time, I can request a replacement for my Goddess? I have the orignal broken one in a plastic baggie...

Defective is defective, and it shouldn't have fallen apart in less than a year...
    Last edited by bamf1980; January 9, 2011 at 10:22pm.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Scott,

Thanks for asking this question. It shows that you’re willing to hear suggestions and this is much appreciated.

Now then...

He-Man.org is the primary fan community for Masters of the Universe. I’m assuming you listened to part one of the podcast which went in-depth as to the origins of Masters of the Universe fandom. I am aware that Mattel wishes to make MattyCollector the primary source for MOTUC information and interaction, but why not make use of the Org in that capacity? In all honesty, no matter what you guys wind up doing over at Matty, we’re always going to think of the Org as THE resource and community for all things He-Man. Many fans on the Org and other toy sites feel like Mattel is trying to drive them away from the sites they call home - sites they helped build - in favor of Mattel's site. A lot of people, myself included, don't like that. You strike me as an intelligent person, so I’m sure you are well aware of this, but are perhaps not allowed to acknowledge it in public.

You say that you can’t give any fan site preferential treatment, but this ISN”T any fan site. It’s the community that kept He-Man and She-Ra alive when nobody else cared. It’s the community that continues to keep Masters of the Universe alive. We are the lifeblood of the Masters brand. For this reason, the Org should absolutely get special treatment. For example, this site should be allowed to offer exclusive, Mattel-sanctioned items. The t-shirts we used to have here were great but Mattel took them away. Why do that? Why not work with the community instead of putting up roadblocks? Why not send Val some sample figures so he can offer them as prizes for fans? Things like that make a difference. Exclusives for this site would absolutely benefit MattyCollector. Mattel can do exclusive stuff with the Org, while still directing fans back to the Matty store. This will further tap into the immense amount of traffic the Org gets. Also, rather than spending time and money trying to set up features already on sites like the Org, start working with the Org, the Fwoosh, and Toy News International to use what they have in place, allowing them to drive their traffic back to you.

Why not work directly with Val and Emiliano? Not only are they skilled professionals, but their passion and energy for Masters is inspiring. I’m not saying you aren’t a passionate fan Scott. Clearly, you are! However, Emiliano is generally acknowledged as the world’s leading authority when it comes to Masters of the Universe. The man has knowledge of things that would make even you exclaim with surprise. Val’s devotion to Masters and to this site has driven him to build this into THE place where people go for all things He-Man and She-Ra. Throughout the years, he has gone above and beyond to keep this property in the public eye. I have rarely seen such dedication. THESE are the people you want in your corner.

Why won’t Mattel allow Emiliano to work with the Horsemen? Why won’t Mattel tap someone like Eamon or Baena to work on the packaging art? Why did Mattel prevent MVC from releasing their story bible? The “conflicting stories” comment is preposterous Scott. I'm sorry, but I just can't buy that line. I’m going agree with dorrmann here. From what I gather, the planned story was going to be a well-crafted tale which tied up many existing threads. I suspect fans would have loved that story... a lot.

I know your stock response to a lot of this is going to involve the words "legally we can't."

Methinks it’s time to get new lawyers who say “Yes we can!” instead of “No we can’t!”

Thanks for reading.

You know, between the recent Gooble Dinners and this post...I'm loving me some Penny D!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Hi Scott,

So why are Val and Emiliano singled out? It's why Eamon on the show said that this rift between the Org and Mattel comes across as very petty. It sounds more like someone there is jealous of Val and Emiliano when instead they should be your right-hand men! Yes, you said that if they want a job, they can apply at Mattel. The fact of the matter is that I believe that they don't. They have mentioned in the past that they would gladly give some of their services to Mattel in order to see the best product being released for the fans. That's the kind of involvement they should have, not as an employee.

Honestly, for the record Mattel does not have a rift with anyone. We love that the He-Man.org crew has kept the fan fires burning. But in the end, they are a fan site and as stated, our goal is to drive traffic to our site Mattycollector.com, not any fan site over any other.

We also don't have a "fan consultant" paid position to offer. We do keep a list of Alpha Fans for almost all of our collector properties (like DCU or GB) and we do call these fans every so often to ask their thoughts. There are quite a few members of the MOTU brand team that are huge fans and know the property inside and out. It is there job to run the line and they are more then qualified to do this. If we ever do need an fan opinion we have all of the Gooble Dinner hosts on speed dial.

I've offered to pass along resumes for both Val and Emilliano and both have turned me down multiple times. The best way to work on a Mattel brand like MOTU is to come work for Mattel. I can't say it any plainer then that. We are not refusing to work with them, on the contrary I've asked them both if they want to apply to Mattel and neither one wants to for various reasons.

We have no beef with anyone running any fan site including this one. But we also don't have an open rec for a "fan consultant". (we'd rather put all the fund we can into the product, especially when we have multiple members of the brand team who are experts on the brand and one of the perks of their job is to work on character designs and roll out.

If any He-Man fan wants to consider working on the brand, they really need to apply to Mattel. You can see a full list of open positions on Mattel.com.

Toyguru, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to get feedback from us fans. I have worked in retail for 12 years and know that you can never satisfy everybody but it is important to take note of concerns and improve/better product lines.

I want to thank you for your passion with Motuc brand. It would not have become what it is if it wasn't for your support. I think Mattel should advertise Matty.com on all of the Mattel figure brands that are released to gain more attention to the website. I also think that you should really push to get the Filmation rights.

These rights would give you access to more than just the Motu/She-ra characters. You could make other collecter lines on Matty on numerous properties. I know you can't discuss certain things but please tell us that Mattel is considering or at least interested in doing so. Mattel is one of the biggest toy company's in the world surely they can do this. We know that you would be interested in the rights but is Mattel?

If you ever need an assistant or someone to help you with Motuc brand I will gladly work for you. I love toys and I think Motuc, Dc Universe, JLU, and even Monster High(my niece loves these dolls) are some of the best toylines out there right now.

thanks for all your hard work tell the Horsemen we need a better female buck (please no more bobble heads or granny panties) the sculpts are too beautiful to suffer such easily fixed set backs

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Scott,

We already have paid members of our staff who are experts on the brand and we already pay the Horsemen to design the Classics figures. The Horsemen have expressed no interest in subcontracting the designs of MOTUC toys out to any other artists. They love what they do too much, why would they bring in other arists when they have a great gig already and are doing a great job? If we ever need an extra opinion we have Val and Emiliano's email. I have offered both of them the chance to send in their resume and both have declined.

Right now we have a very qualified staff of designers and managers on the line. If we need Val or Emiliano's opinion we can always email them. But until they decide to apply and actually work for Mattel there isn't more that can be done.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 9, 2011 at 10:41pm.

She may have a small but very vocal following here on He-Man.org, but she isn't a character the is demanded on any other site but this one.
    Not true, just take a look at the results of this poll on MattyCollector:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...wpollresults/Y

A landslide victory in her favor.

While harping on this one point is very limiting to this thread as a whole, I have to go back to it since you have responded similarly several times in the past. You DO understand that the majority of everyones' Goddess figures just disintegrated at the pelvis area don't you? Mine sat in my glass display case and just fell apart one day with no stress on the figure. I know Bamf1980. Our figures disintegrated in the exact same manor. He actually talked to me about having me take a Teela figure and swap parts to correct the Goddess (spending another $20+ each along with several hours of time and other customizing materials just to resurrect a faulty figure).

I'm not someone who thinks Mattel owes me $20 for selling me a faulty figure but now that you have repeatedly said that you knowingly plan to sell said faulty figures to other customers, many that may not understand how bad the product is, THAT upsets me more than the loss of the original $20. I think you need to understand that the majority of the Goddess run was bad product and shouldn't, no CAN'T be sold again.

And since you say these extra Goddess figures are stock set aside for damaged goods, does that mean that Bamf1980 and I can contact Digital River for a replacement Goddess? Or does the lifespan of Mattel product only last nine months (for when my Goddess fell apart)?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Not true, just take a look at the results of this poll on MattyCollector:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...wpollresults/Y

A landslide victory in her favor.

Yes, but this poll only had about 100 people vote in it. Hardly a significant enough number of voices to determine an obscure character going into production. This is a perfect example of fans being louder then they are numerious.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    And since you say these extra Goddess figures are stock set aside for damaged goods, does that mean that Bamf1980 and I can contact Digital River for a replacement Goddess? Or does the lifespan of Mattel product only last nine months (for when my Goddess fell apart)?
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe the policy listed on Mattycollector.com notes their is something like a 60 - 90 fay period for returns and exchanges.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 9, 2011 at 10:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Hello Scott. Thanks for reaching out to us. Now then...

it sounds to me like as far as "fan relations" go, you're wanting them on your terms, on your site, for the most part. I know you've posted this thread here, but as a veteran of this site, I was here first; I wasn't on Mattel's website first. The same goes for other lines; I'm also a DCUC collector; I check the fwoosh before I check your site. Your site is made to SELL products, not to bask in their splendor, like this site is. In a lot of ways, we're like AA for toy collectors not ready to quit. A lot of us aren't fortunate enough to have people in our "at home" lives to share our hobby with...at least, not this one. This is our outlet, away from barcodes, away from the "buy me" mentality; you know you've already got the hook in our gills...let us stay in our school for a while

My husband is an avid Mego collector, and on the Mego forum he visits, the people that post there frequently have their hands right in the thick of what they call "Re-Megoes"; companies that still produce items in that same style like CTVT, Bif Bang Pow!, and Dr. Mego.

While I think it is great that you post here from time to time (and I know you have a personal/family life outside of us. I realize that first, and foremost, this is your job), I feel there could be more. While I'm sure you're one of the more involved brand managers out there, I'd like to see you initiate more threads like this that aren't just either "saving face" posts, like "oops, we screwed up", or "what can we do?" Ask us things as a fellow collector, like we all know you are; you're living OUR dream! I'd love to see you ask things like "who's your favorite figure, so far?" "What are your childhood memories?" Sure, if you did a little digging, you could find this out in other threads, but it's amazing to see you, the big man on the mountain, ask us little folks down here in the village how we're doing, too

Donimo said it best, we are THE MotU site--where's the credit? I don't do anything but post here and there and fuss--our Gooblers, Moderators, SITE OWNERS, et al are an invaluable resource, nice, wonderful people, whom, I'm sure, if given the chance, would be more than anxious to help you, and our favorite brand thrive and flourish.

Speaking of, I'd love to see he-man.org mentioned SOMEWHERE in regards to the new line, be it on a pamphlet included with upcoming figures, on the cardback (I know, keep dreaming, that's YOUR spot at the dinner table LOL), or even on the website, in a "links" section. We were featured on the DVDs, afterall, and I'm sure that brought us a ton of new members who have all contributed SOMETHING, no matter how seemingly insignificant, to the brand. The more the merrier, right?

It seems like people are from two camps: the all-inclusive Matty site umbrella, or the he-man.org umbrella, with few crossovers. Off the top of my head, I know MegaGearMax posts on both forums, for instance.

Is there anything that our .org artists can do? As you know first hand, we have a wealth of talent right here. I'm not saying you don't on your end, but it's like when your friend is on the news; you're happy for them because it hits home. Val and Emiliano especially, were so integral to bringing He-Man back from the dead in the early 2000s...I know they're both busy men, but (excuse me for both speaking for you, and adding more to your plate, guys!) can they do anything? I'm sure that they, as fans, and someone not on Mattel's payroll, can and would do spectacular things for the line.

By the way, Scott, could you have phrased this a little less rudely?:
    "Put it this way: we're not interested in rushing Illumina to a figure simply because there is so much greater demand for other female figures like Marlena, Sweetbee, Sorceress, the Star Sisters, Frosta, Netossa, Catra and more. We'd much rather use our female slots for these type of figures compared to a character who is known mostly for an appearance on a promo ad for a canceled comic book series."
    She obviously has a huge following, but there's no need to poo-poo those of us who invented the character, are fans of the character, or just plain like the way she looks because it's "from a promo ad from a canceled comic book series". If it weren't for canceled comic series, a LOT of toylines, characters, figures, et al wouldn't exist.

I also feel that two other .orgers pointed out EXCELLENT ideas:

JimPansen said that he'd like to see:
    "online polls concerning such things as Panthor's flocking ... "
    I think this is a GREAT idea. At the end of the day, WE are the ones who buy the line...not everyone can afford to go to SDCC, where you hold your polls. If I were to go to SDCC, I couldn't afford to buy your product annually. Which would you prefer? I know I'd rather have product, but I shouldn't have to. What you are telling us by only offerering convention attendees the chance to vote is that their dollar is worth more to you than someone who, for whatever reason, can't attend. That's bad business, and that's insulting. Convention exclusives are a great way to reward those who can make it...those who want then and can't make it, can usually buy it later for a slightly increased mark-up on eBay, or certain fan-sites. I can't vote through eBay.

Tallstar said,
    "Jeremy Padawer hosting .org chats"
    . Although this was while I was in college, and I didn't participate, I thought then, and still do, that it was a great idea; you get the live reactions to fans. Again, I know this is your job, and nobody wants to take their work home with them (at least I don't), but, as someone who loves her job, if someone came to me, and asked me to personally listen to them, talk to them, and help them with something, I wouldn't think twice. Is it in my job description to do so, no, but if you truly care about to whom you are catering, one-on-one interaction, or even in a group setting, like chat, is a no-brainer.

Although I do come off as mouthy and over-critical, I feel that you are doing a STUPENDOUS job. I know that I couldn't fill your shoes, or do half the job you're doing now. Thank you again for reaching out to us, and I sincerely hope you take these suggestions to heart and home.

~RK
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe the policy listed on Mattycollector.com notes their is something like a 60 - 90 fay period for returns and exchanges.
    FINE. Then post your product for sale already. Let's just get this over and done with.

And please don't come back around here asking how you can improve fan relations when you have no intention of doing so.

Most companies would recall a product that falls apart like this. God forbid a kid should choke on a broken Goddess that should have been recalled many many moons ago.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Right now we have a very qualified staff of designers and managers on the line. If we need Val or Emiliano's opinion we can always email them. But until they decide to apply and actually work for Mattel there isn't more that can be done.
    Right, but I'm not only talking about Val and Emiliano in that post. In the first two paragraphs of my post I talk about this site. You asked what fans are looking for in terms of "what fans want us to do." I answered.